Fun with the 2.8 turbo! by ConvictedRedneck
Started on: 08-05-2012 07:36 PM
Replies: 57 (15925 views)
Last post by: CaptDale on 07-03-2014 02:29 PM
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE 8/24/12: Quarter mile video/slip pic at the end of the thread!

Just a quick pic/video update on my 2.8 turbo project. Car is running well, still working on getting a final tune dialed in with Ryan (Darth Fiero), who I have to thank for getting this running so well. I really don't know what else I would have done tuning-wise. He's a great asset to this community and this project. Big thanks also to Phonedawgz for the continual tech support on the electrical end.

Final setup was:
- KKK K26-6 turbo from a Porsche 944 Turbo
- Custom turbo crossover and downpipe (Thanks Manieri Motorsports Fabrication)
- Turbonetics Evolution wastegate, set at 7 psi for now, Ebay Type-RFL (really f***in loud) BOV (Soon to be upgraded to Turbonetics Duo-35)
- Frozenboost A2W intercooler and plumbing with heat exchanger mounted behind radiator fan
- 7730 ECM running DIS custom tuned $8F codemask by Darth Fiero
- Knock sensor & custom crank sensor/bracket/trigger for DIS
- 24lb, 4-hole Mustang injectors, 255lph fuel pump
- Custom exhaust, no cat or muffler, 2.5" to C6 'vette tips.
- Bored TB, "Dawg-style" modified upper plenum done myself, ported middle intake
- Innovate wideband AFR, Speedhut digital boost gauge
- Engine oil cooler post-turbo behind fenderwell side-scoop
- Motor is fully rebuilt, .060 over, 3-angle valve job, cleaned-up heads, ported manifolds, stock specs on all other internals (Thanks TSI Competition Engines)
- EGR, CSI, cruise, and PCV can all deleted; TB coolant lines deleted from TB and rerouted to turbo.

On to the pics!

Hi-beams:

Low beams:

H3 LED tower bulbs for turn signals:

TLG LED side markers and Rodney's brighter "PONTIAC" bulbs:

It's a blast to drive. Not the quickest thing in the world, but that was never the goal. After driving this, without question, my future build is going to be a fully built, forged 3400 with a much larger turbo. I love the 3800 Turbos but COULD NOT live with that horrid sound that motor makes

Hope you enjoy, feel free to ask any questions you have about details I left out.

[This message has been edited by ConvictedRedneck (edited 08-24-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job redneck! It sounds awesome during boost!

I can't wait to see it in 2 weeks and see what it can do on your amazing pa roads.
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a very cool ride! You did a good job of doing things right (At least what I consider right) while staying with a 2.8. I like it alot!

------------------
'04 Mazda RX8 Build Thread
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph (Sold and gone now)
GM Tuners

zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a fun ride. I love the sound of that turbo, I could see that sound being addictive and always tempting your right foot. Looks like you have some nice roads around there as well.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-05-2012 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amazing packaging and detail. There are so many classy touches on your GT. We seem to have similar taste in mods. I really love the low profile lights.

Enjoy her,

Tony
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice ride you got there! Def keep it 60deg V6. We need more boosted builds!
InTheLead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good, nice work.

As for 3800's and the sound they emit.. I agree. You can install a tunable J-pipe before each tip and fix that though if you have the time/and patience.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome job, really clean install job on everything. It does sound good, but not all 3800's sound bad. Mine certainly doesn't.
I FAR I

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I FAR ISend a Private Message to I FAR IEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on owning an extremely nice looking boosted car, Redneck! Sounds very cool too! Great videos btw.

I hope to have Ryan (Darth Fiero) do some tweaks for my 85 GT with 2.8 and Vortech G9 soon.

Really like your headlights...Where can I find some?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by I FAR I (edited 08-05-2012).]

sicmaggot

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2012 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sicmaggotSend a Private Message to sicmaggotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really wish I could afford to boost mine. Maybe one day
ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for the compliments...really makes all the blood, sweat, and tears(money...ok, maybe some real tears too ) worth it! The headlights are custom buckets I made with Hella and PIAA driving lights. Bottom lights are dual-bulb Hella's; one for daytime running lights and the other for blinkers.

I'm still running really rich (~9.5-10:1) under full boost, so there's definitely more power to squeeze out of it. Once the tune is dialed in, I'm hoping to get it to Island raceway 1/4 mile and also find a dyno somewhere locally.
PFF
System Bot
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great car. Not only the turbo but the other tasteful mods as well.

I just drove and bought my first turbo'd car a week ago, and I can already tell how addicting the characteristics of a turbo vehicle are.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats and i am glad you ignored everyone and still turboed the 2.8 i know how much crap you have had to put up with just enquiring. I bet this thread gets hit hard as everyone would love to know your parts list etc. Well done and glad you went through and completed it. It looks great too i must add two thumbs up here.
Blacktop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktopSend a Private Message to BlacktopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh dude... your headlights. Tell me more.

Very nice job on the turbo, you're giving me bad ideas
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yuppers......Sweet ride man. LOVE the headlights. Care to share some pics of the buckets and installed shots? Peace

Pete
ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

Yuppers......Sweet ride man. LOVE the headlights. Care to share some pics of the buckets and installed shots? Peace

Pete

I'll have to snap some detailed pics. I hesitated posting them way back when I did them because of the "DOT-approved" crowd since they just use aftermarket driving lights with upgraded bulbs. They're not the brightest and I'd eventually like to upgrade to some type of projector light, but they do a good enough job to be safe. They use the stock buckets chopped with an aluminum mounting plate for the lights bolted to the buckets.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You and the drue need to get together. He's running an a/a intercooler turbo 3.4.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2012 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love it! Good work. Boost is awesome.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

You and the drue need to get together. He's running an a/a intercooler turbo 3.4.

Quite observant His car was actually a huge inspiration for my build, as I also went the 7730/DIS route. As far as I know we're the "only" 60* motors with turbos and DIS, at least in the Fiero community.

Having 'finished' this project, I must say I'm surprised and impressed everything came together as well as it did. The Porsche turbo seems like a great match so far for the motor. Very little boost lag and seems to flow plenty, although I'll know for sure once I get it on a dyno.

[This message has been edited by ConvictedRedneck (edited 08-07-2012).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My First Fiero purchased in 1997 was a home built 2.8L turbo. I ran 8 psi of boost and the performance was good enough to come away with a 0-60 in the mid to high 6 second range. It was fun to drive until I trashed it and upgraded to the built 3.4L with a T3/T4 turbo and all the goodies. That was even more fun to drive. Eventually I did a 3800SC that offered more performance to keep me happy.
Your 2.8L looks like a blast to drive. It may not be a rocket but performance wise its far ahead of a stock 2.8L.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Ryanstalin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RyanstalinSend a Private Message to RyanstalinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice job. that thing is in infinite beast mode now.
PFF
System Bot
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks awesome! nice to see the 60 degree getting some turbo love. Not many people playing with them anymore. Unique car with a nicely balanced powerplant I think. It would be fun to get both cars together but it is definitely a bit of a drive...

Keep up the good work, nice clean install!
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one too!

-New GM 2.8 short block.
-Heads checked, ported/polished
-SI stainless valves with 5-angle cut
-SI bronze guides
-Crower springs with offset retainers
-Comp Cams pushrods
-Crower turbo grind cam
-Comp Cams 1.6 roller-tipped rockers
-ARP head studs
-TiAL BOV
-Spearco 231 core liquid intercooler, johnson pump
-Melling hi volume oil pump
-Cloyes double roller timing chain
-Fidanza Aluminum flywheel
-Spec stage 2 clutch

Lots more...

All wrapped up in an 88 IMSA t-top.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not bad at all.. just bear in mind from experiance a 3400 sfi turbo is one very high matinence broad... were talking Paris hilton high matinence.
ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SCCA FIERO:

I have one too!

-New GM 2.8 short block.
-Heads checked, ported/polished
-SI stainless valves with 5-angle cut
-SI bronze guides
-Crower springs with offset retainers
-Comp Cams pushrods
-Crower turbo grind cam
-Comp Cams 1.6 roller-tipped rockers
-ARP head studs
-TiAL BOV
-Spearco 231 core liquid intercooler, johnson pump
-Melling hi volume oil pump
-Cloyes double roller timing chain
-Fidanza Aluminum flywheel
-Spec stage 2 clutch

Lots more...

All wrapped up in an 88 IMSA t-top.

I stand corrected! Build thread?? Sounds like the 3.4 build I'd like to eventually do
ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ConvictedRedneck

1034 posts
Member since Nov 2005

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Not bad at all.. just bear in mind from experiance a 3400 sfi turbo is one very high matinence broad... were talking Paris hilton high matinence.

Paris Hilton maintenance?! That's ok, I'd only be looking for a one night sta...uhhh...oh, we were talking about cars. I'm not expecting it to last a real long time. I'd like it to, but realistically this build was geared more towards engineering a turbo build and learning things for the next time when I have the resources to do a fully built turbo car.

Not bashing the car you had but was it actual maintenance or was it built half-assed, ultimately leading to constant fixing? That sure was a sweet car...that's the gen. 3.4 I'd like to use.
SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never did a build thread. It's in probably 20 or so threads all over the place over the years.
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That boosted 2.8 sounds beastly man.. I like it.. And i love your head-light conversion.

Iv got one too.. Mines a 3.4 though.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 08-07-2012).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2012 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Me too! to the me too list: T3, DIS, 7730, 3.4L. Not the current intake though as I've added a/w intercooler.

EDIT: Forgot to write how nice yours looks! Good job. I wish mine to be nearly as well done some day.

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 08-12-2012).]

Slowbuild

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2012 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowbuildSend a Private Message to SlowbuildEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just finished mine:

Custom dual throttle body intake, 3.4, TD05HR16 (Evo-8). It's got ls 28lb injectors.

I'm only runnning 3 psi so far and it's a vast improvement.

It's running $59 which is killer with autotune.

One day I'll figuere out how to post a pic here.

Gotta go!

Chay
ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2012 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ohh now that I'm done you 60* turbo'ers come out of the woodwork!! Haha, joking of course, glad to see there's a following for this type of setup.

In other news...I should have another revised chip from Ryan early this week and depending on how well it runs, I'm in the works of trying to get a dyno date set up. I know a local shop has one but I have to find out if it's permanent/mobile and if mobile, if they'd set it up just for me or will I need a group.

I'm also taking it to a scale this weekend to get a final weight now that it's completed.

So, more updates coming shortly!
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2012 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is my old setup:

88GT running a KFG kit

ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2012 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! Is that from the car that went to Dean's?

Love those rpf1's!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2012 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ConvictedRedneck:

Very nice! Is that from the car that went to Dean's?

Love those rpf1's!

No, that was my last Fiero from 2008ish. That one got sold to someone in NJ IIRC. I removed the 2.8 and installed a 3800sc. There is a build thread in the GFC archives.. L67 w/ getrag or something like that if you are interested.

RPF1 are my fav wheels.
ConvictedRedneck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

First time ever at the dragstrip! I'm running at 9 psi now and I gotta say I'm pretty happy with the performance. Made 4 passes tonight, 14.45@95 being my best. Launching this thing was effortless! I only did small burnouts, just enough to clean the tires off (245/40/18's in the rear). Launched at ~2500-3000, no wheelspin, just hooked and went like a bat outta hell...well, as much as a 2.8 can lol.

Bummer is, I realized at the end of the night I never had my intercooler pump turned on I think I would have seen a little more on the top end had that been on.

Overall the night was a blast. $25 for all you can run from 6:30-10 and it wasn't really that busy. Hopefully I'll be back there in the next couple weeks to see how much more I can squeeze out of it!

Anyone have a link to the official quarter mile thread?

[This message has been edited by ConvictedRedneck (edited 08-24-2012).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might help to run some smaller wheels at the drag strip too. Pretty good time for your first time at the strip !
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2012 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good job! Good luck with your next try.
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2012 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a thread on the Headlights?
SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2012 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not giving you the link to the 1/4 mile list because you'll bump me down
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...041015-1-040813.html
SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2012 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SCCA FIERO

3808 posts
Member since May 99
Just kidding... here you go.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/070670.html
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page