Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Where do you see a fiero values at 10 years from now? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Where do you see a fiero values at 10 years from now? by weloveour86se
Started on: 04-22-2012 10:07 PM
Replies: 83 (6643 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 08-18-2017 02:09 PM
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes a very vague question. Will my car go up in value? Will yours? Just for discussions sake.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Values could rise but then again the Fiero may follow the path of the Chevrolet Corvair. In all honesty I really don't care. I own a Fiero for driving fun and not as a collector car having strong resale value. If I wanted an investment car I'd own a 57 Chevy, Plymouth Prowler, Chrysler Crossfire or early Vette,

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Dennis. Fiero's are worth very little, and will never be a collectable automobile. I always have to laugh when someone is trying to preserve a low milage Fiero, thinking it will bring them big bucks some day. I own them for sheer entertainment value. The only way they will have any future value is if they're heavily modified and customized, and even then you'd only get a fraction of your investment back.
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just above what scrap is going for.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:

Will my car go up in value? Will yours?

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to agree with the current consensus of where this thread is going.

However I think I may be a particularly strange individual in how I view the automotive enthusiast hobby, and my thoughts may throw the thread off. I myself always think that attempting to "preserve" a vehicle for any sort of value is hilarious. It's only "new" one time in it's life - when it's new. Even concourse-quality restored vehicles aren't "new" - they're restored. Restoration is not "new," even if everything on it is new. Restoring a car is just changing everything on it to make sure that it stays around longer, hence why varying degrees of restoration exist in automotive restoration.

I think that individuals whom purchase their cars should enjoy them to their absolute fullest. Do not just sit on something hoping that it's going to increase in value. Why do that? Why just sit on a car that you never drive? All you're going to do is make yourself reminisce later in life on the missed opportunity(s) that could have been in the car you so enjoy. Sure for most individuals you can't live every automotive moment in the same car, but to allow a car to not do it's job - to take you from one place to another in an efficient manner - is just silly. Drive 'em. I'm fairly sure Irv Gordon didn't hold onto his Volvo P1800S for any sort of value.

However, on the flip side of this, what is occurring is that Fieros are heading strong-fast into what is going to become a largely divided segment into what is two camps. You're going to have really beaten up 'drivers' and 'parts cars' in one camp, and then you're going to have customized and low mileage examples in the other. The problem that will - and to a degree is already occurring - is this; will investing the amount of time and money on the later example (the low mileage and customized Fieros) warrant you any serious investment time or value?

I personally say no. And I say no because I ultimately do not think that Fieros are going to receive the high value that people think they are going to. The reason why is because the automotive hobbyists will ultimately not see the Fiero as a serious vehicle that can be taken seriously. We as Fiero enthusiasts see the car as quite an amazing piece of machinery considering what was given to work with. Think though of how the rest of the automotive world sees the Fiero;
- A hodge-podge of random GM parts thrown together in the idea of cost-savings.
- A vehicle that was often neglected by owners whom owned them, either due to negligence by the owners (those whom bought the car because it looked "cool") or refusal in part of service shops not wanting to work on the car (the old adage of "We're not gonna work on somethin' we don't know how to work on").
- A somewhat lack-luster reliability record, probably caused by the above statements, thus giving the impression of a "cheap" car.
- A extremely damaging reputation of catching on fire, thus spawning a massive amount of false stories among the general populace, i.e., "Those things are death traps," "My friend/sister/uncle/dog/cousin/etc got killed in one of those," etc.
- A reputation of only being worth as vessels for commonly built kit cars, which among about 80% of that group never are fully completed, thus "destroying" the cars that they were originally utilized for.

Fieros are indeed dwindling, but every car the Fiero's age is dwindling. If you want to save the cars/ a car, then save them/it. Buy a parts car and put it back on the road, or hang onto it. The ultimate thing to remember though is there will always be obtainable examples around. Not everyone is going to be entitled to a yellow '88 GT fastback with t-tops. You may have to settle for a low-option '84. And there's nothing wrong with that. In the end they're both Fieros. Both individuals who would own such cars are Fiero enthusiasts. Don't buy a Fiero for it's value. Buy it because you made a conscious choice to be an individual whom is truly unique, not whom is trying to base themselves on the 'worth' or potential 'worth' of the car.

Buy it and keep it because it's a Fiero.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

I have to agree with the current consensus of where this thread is going....

....The reason why is because the automotive hobbyists will ultimately not see the Fiero as a serious vehicle that can be taken seriously.
....We as Fiero enthusiasts see the car as quite an amazing piece of machinery considering what was given to work with.

I agree with everything you say.

Auto Collectors with money will never shell out any 'big bucks" no matter what the Fiero. It's NOT on the Barrett-Jackson "list" of collectible cars.
Fiero Enthusiasts are mostly poor/cheap, and the ones that aren't don't need to shell out any more than the Auto Collector would either.

My SD4 Indy's appraised pretty high. But the only way I'd see that kind of money for it is courtesy of insurance AND a dump truck.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

I have to agree with the current consensus of where this thread is going.
However, on the flip side of this, what is occurring is that Fieros are heading strong-fast into what is going to become a largely divided segment into what is two camps. You're going to have really beaten up 'drivers' and 'parts cars' in one camp, and then you're going to have customized and low mileage examples in the other. The problem that will - and to a degree is already occurring - is this; will investing the amount of time and money on the later example (the low mileage and customized Fieros) warrant you any serious investment time or value?

I agree with you but I'm compelled to point out that this is really three camps...

1) Drivers and parts cars, 2) customized, 3) low mileage...

Drivers and parts cars are slowly going into the crusher and will disappear quietly.

Low mileage...well those are the misguided folks that believed the hype and think Fieros will be valuable someday. Maybe in a 1,000 years if a Fiero is the only surviving internal combustion automobile, but in our lifetime? Not so much.

That leaves the customized cars.

Honestly that is where all the fun is anyway. Go to any big show, Like Daytona where there are thousands of cars, and what do you see? Pintos with big blocks in them, Mid-engine pickup trucks, and a half Chevy half Ford. (yes I saw all of those type vehicles). People will enjoy the Fiero for what it is, and that is a parts bin car that is easy to modify. That will not change unless another car comes along to fill that niche.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends on the model regular run of the mill fieros arent going to be worth anything but things like the Indy's IMSA's Mera's zimmers original 88GT's original T top cars... I could seem them going up a little..
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder what Mr. Fiero's (Paul Vargyas) thoughts are on this topic?

If the law of supply and demand applies to Fiero's, it only makes sense that as the supply dwindles, the values should increase.

However, I own my Fiero's for the sheer fun of driving and showing them, their uniqueness as the only North American built mid-engine vehicle, their advanced space frame design with rust-proof panels, their impressive crash safety rating, their limited availability, and for their timeless sleek appearance.

I could have purchased similar year Corvettes, but much prefer the design of a Fiero GT, it's smaller scale compared to a Corvette, its roomy cabin size, and as an added bonus, it's excellent gas mileage. Just my .02 Canadian cents.

------------------
Now new owner of a Black TTop 88 Fiero GT and owner of a Silver 88 Fiero GT. Also a second time owner of an 85 Fiero GT. Bought my first fully loaded Red Fiero GT new in 1985. Fiero's are Fabulous, Fix'em and have Fun! Note, Avatar picture is Mr. Bean (not me, ha ha).

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only an original car like today with low miles will be worth anything today's real value of a new 88 GT under 1000 miles is 15-20k 10 years ago it was 8-15k.
(yes one for sale at 40k but he would have paid 15k)
In 10 years will be worth 20-30k if undriven it will never be worth millions......
The rest will be like today what your prepared to pay for it. $500-$5000 same as it was 10 years ago.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 04-23-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

Only an original car like today with low miles will be worth anything today's real value of a new 88 GT under 1000 miles is 15-20k 10 years ago it was 8-15k.
(yes one for sale at 40k but he would have paid 15k)
In 10 years will be worth 20-30k if undriven it will never be worth millions......
The rest will be like today what your prepared to pay for it. $500-$5000 same as it was 10 years ago.

There might be some truth that low mileage 88's will have some collector value but must agree that I see Fiero's priced the same or lower than they were 10 years ago! Buy a Fiero for a hobby toy, relaxation and for fun. If you buy it for investment, you lose.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless a celebrity has one customized at west coast customs and it's aired on TV, at or less than scrap value.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think its pretty stable right at where its at now. Some are worth more, some less. Id say a nice stock low miles one may bring $5000, and a super nice, mint one maybe $7,000-$8,000. If you get more, its just gravy.
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I have posted my thoughts on this matter before here but here is my view. I know all of these facts stated by others on here about the negatives of the fiero and it's somewhat colorful history. However I disagree that they will not be worth anything in the future. I do not have any delusions that they will be worth millions like a real Carrol Shelby Cobra or something similar but I do think that certain examples of the cars will go up in value considerably. I also think that tastefully done customs will also be worth more. There are literally hundreds of cars that today are worth money that way back when were pretty near worthless. Just because you can buy one today for cheap does not mean it will always be that way. The colorful history and imperfections of cars of old are often today thought of as charming to collectors and are literally what makes them so desirable. I think we will be surprised at what well kept low number examples will fetch in the next decade or two and as the cars slowly get more scarce that will only get more and more true. Quite honestly I personally could care less what my car is worth twenty years from now because I am NOT buying it for what it will earn me down the road, rather I am buying it for how it makes me feel driving it. I simply enjoy the car and the way it looks and feels when I am in it. Perhaps it is because it was ALMOST my first car, perhaps it is somehow related to my youth and when I first saw one on the showroom floor in West Palm Beach Florida years ago. Perhaps it is just some crazy delusion of mine that I can turn it into something wonderful....who the hell knows. What I do know is that I am NOT the only one who feels this way about these cars and there are gonna be other folks who have the same feelings about them that can afford to pay whatever they want to for one that gives them that feeling. The older they get, the more scarce they will become and the fonder the memories of them will be. It is no different than the old timer who looks longingly at a 40 ford or a 57 chevy at a car show remembering their youth and experiences they had with that particular car, it does something inside them that makes them give value to what at one time was not valuable at all.... The same WILL happen to the fiero.... In my view it is already happening. I see on here occasionally some nice examples of cars that become for whatever reason worth a bunch of money to someone and it gets bought. It really is that simple. It may take years, it may take something to put them in the forefront of popular culture today but it will undoubtedly happen. The cars have a lot of character, are nice looking, are comfortable to drive, and turn heads. I was quite surprised at how younger people seemed to like my car when I had it. They seemed to have a respect for it for whatever reason. Perhaps it is because you really do not see them too often, perhaps it was my shiny chrome wheels, who knows but it was there. Again in my personal view I really could give a rats ass whether or not my car is EVER worth anything more than I paid for it, it is mine because I like it and want to drive it. Down the road tho..... who knows......peace

Pete

canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pete Matos, I agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts, very well expressed!
I purchased my Fiero's for nostalgic reasons. I was 37 years old when I bought my first 85 Fiero GT brand new. I'm 64 years old now and have more of an appreciation for Fiero's now than I ever did before.
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by canfirst:

Pete Matos, I agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts, very well expressed!
I purchased my Fiero's for nostalgic reasons. I was 37 years old when I bought my first 85 Fiero GT brand new. I'm 64 years old now and have more of an appreciation for Fiero's now than I ever did before.

Hey thanks man!! hehe peace

Pete
Vernon8360

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well put Pete.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While I don't think Fiero's will ever be hi dollar cars, I do believe that well kept examples will continue to hold, and even increase in value. I have owned three 88 GT's that I drove and enjoyed. All were maintained properly. I sold the first two for more than my original purchase price. The second one I owned for over 11 years. If a car is well kept, people looking for nice examples of that vehicle will pay more for it. In the long run buying a nice Fiero to begin with is less expensive than restoring a worn out example to the same condition. My third one I plan on keeping till I can no longer get in and out of it easily.
fiamma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiammaSend a Private Message to fiammaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with the Corvair comparison. I owned a Corvair Corsa factory turbo in the 60's.
Got the Fiero partly because of the similarities with the Corvair. Good ones of each will
always be desired by the few people that appreciate them, but prices aren't going anywhere.

Paulv

Feedback score:    (68)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulvSend a Private Message to PaulvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As most of you know, I have published a Fiero Price Guide since 1995. I got involved in Fiero's in 1993 after reading a article in Smart Money Magazine showing that the 1988 Fiero GT could be worth $50,000 in the future, I decided it would be a great car since I was looking for a Corvette, but found insurance costs were high. (my Fiero history and automotive "story" is at http://www.paulvargyas.com/myfieros.htm if you are looking for something to put you to sleep at night.
The price guide did not change dramatically over the years as I watched prices of Fiero's being sold in various forums, eBay, etc. I basically agree with all the posts above, but have taken some criticism for "causing the prices to be low" due to the price guide. Also, as I keep reminding everyone, it is merely a "guide" and the condition and maintenance by previous owner(s) plays a huge factor in final pricing. As a matter of fact, on my web page on the pricing guide page, I encourage everyone to read the explanation of the values and what the conditions mean.
The values chart is at:
http://www.paulvargyas.com/Price%20Guide.htm

Then there are links to the values explanation:
http://www.paulvargyas.com/...12%20FieroValues.pdf

and my analysis on year's, models and options:
http://www.paulvargyas.com/.../Values&Analysis.pdf

In recent years I have seen a consistent level of value for most models, with the exception of the 88GT, 88 Formula, 88 4cyl coupe (gas mileage), and the 86/87GT. Occasionally I see some interest in the pace car, but since so few were made, it's hard to track any real time values. I actually have slowly increased the values in my chart for these years/models.

I agree that very low mileage cars will always have some higher level of interest, and someone who is enamored with the Fiero (for the first time, or who wants to "move up" to a nice example after fighting the maintenance and frame deterioration issues), may be willing to pay a premium at a specific time in the market.

I still see examples of "brand new" Fieros still being sold, some by dealers who bought the 88GT in hopes of making their $50,000 sale by holding on to them. We had a local example of our Pontiac dealer bought a 88GT, Black, Auto. and kept it stored and very well maintained until last year. Had 600 miles on it, by the owner. He even had it on his showroom floor on occasion. He tried to sell it for $16,000 multiple times, finally sold for much lower price. So much for the $50,000.
Want the "last" Fiero GT built? You can have that one for $50,000, the employee who "won" that last Fiero made still has it for sale in Michigan

As far as custom cars? If you customize a Fiero, be prepared to sell it for 50% or less than invested. I have a very custom GT that I have receipts for $26,000 for sale, will be lucky to recvover the 50%.

So much for valus. Feel free to email or PM me with any questions.

------------------

My Web Site
www.paulvargyas.com
NIFE Web Site ]www.fierofocus.com]

PFF
System Bot
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I first talked about swapping my transmission from an auto to manual, this guy I was working with was yelling at me that the value of the car would be lost. Numbers matching he kept repeating himself. He had a 77 Trans Am with an auto, & refused to change it. That's when I realized, in agreement with the consensus, this is a relatively inexpensive car that should just be driven & enjoyed.

Mister 'Numbers matching' eventually sold his car, took a loss, & never got to fully enjoy it as much as he could have. imo.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paul,

Your guide does value Mera's significantly higher that stock Fiero models. I assume this is because of the small number produced.
My question is why have other specific Fiero's with low numbers produced not seem to show similar differences in value.
For example: yellow 88 GT's (241 produced) CJB cars, actual track used Indys etc.
Paulv

Feedback score:    (68)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulvSend a Private Message to PaulvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, the Mera listed for about 60% higher than the GT in 1988, plus only 159 were made compared to 6,848 GT's. Plus, there is buyer interest in a "Ferrari" look alike. I have tracked Mera's sold in the price range in my price guide.
I have no way to include specific sub-88 cars like the 241 Yellow GT's (yes, color may have some value to some buyers, I know of Fiero people who dislike Yellow and would not have a Yellow car). CJB cars are shown as a premium, but with dwindling supplies of T-Top parts, may not really have a lot of extra value if you can't find parts. Not sure how many track used Indy's are documented, and I know of one that did not sell at any particular premium, even though it appeared to be a actual Track INDY.

------------------

My Web Site
www.paulvargyas.com
NIFE Web Site ]www.fierofocus.com]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:

Where do you see the Fiero values at 10 years from now?

The same as I saw the values 10 years ago-cheap and disposable. The junk yards have no problem crushing Fieros. I've witnessed a yellow 88 fastback in FL about to be crushed. Secondly, we are our worst enemy. A car can't get off the ground floor if the current owners are cheap. You'll need a different class of Fiero owners in order for a turn around.

The only Fiero's that will gain any value would be the Fiero's that are seriously tweaked and even with these types don't expect to get all that you put into the car back-maybe 30%? Live and enjoy the ride.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Paulv:

Want the "last" Fiero GT built? You can have that one for $50,000, the employee who "won" that last Fiero made still has it for sale in Michigan

I saw this car at the 25th Anniversary. Everything is for sale... but from what Mike Kelly was asking in 2008 and the state of the economy since then I would guess that he still owns it.

I think he was waiting for a museum with deep pockets to come along and offer him big bucks. No disrespect intended, I would do the same. But I'm still shocked that he DROVE it to the 25th. That's pretty risky for a car you intend to sell for big bucks.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One can always hope they get one as a main car in a fast and furious movie. This is why Cars like the RX7 and Supra pull premium prices these days.. Before they were aired on them I know the supra was thought of as big heavy and bulky That most people would think "Do I spend this money on an iconic Corvette or on a toyota". And From what I understand the RX7 was just an odd ball high matinence sports car
That's value depritated like the RX8 seems to be doing slowley until fast and furious.. You cant tell me that if they used a car such as the 3000GT VR4 or 300ZX TT Thoes cars would be pulling a premium these days the 2 of them can be found in good shape around here for $10K or so..
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Outside the current and near term Fiero group, the values will be lucky to even match the rate of inflation. I've been watching the 60s and early 60s classic car ads for the last few months, and for the most part, the asking prices simply aren't all that high, and some of those vehicles are much older than Fieros. There are exceptions for certain niche vehicles, but for the most part, age doesn't mean a whole lot.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:
... we are our worst enemy. A car can't get off the ground floor if the current owners are cheap. You'll need a different class of Fiero owners in order for a turn around.

Truer words have not been spoken in this thread yet. Take pride in your ride and others will begin to envy you. That's what changes outsider's opinions, affects desireablility, and drives up value. A car never appreciates if it's own followers talk trash about it.

Although they were off the mark, I thought I'd add a couple thoughts from influential people in an article entitled "Appreciating Collectibles" in Road & Track's June 1988 issue:

David Bronwell, editor of Hemmings Motor News and Special Interest Autos: '87-'88 Fiero 6 cylinder five speed projected value in 2000: $60,000

Owen Ward, Ferrari and Rolls Royce salesman and collectible car broker at Symbollic Cars of La Jolla, California: 1988 Fiero 6 cylinder five speed projected value in 2000: $40,000
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Take pride in your ride and others will begin to envy you. That's what changes outsider's opinions, affects desireablility, and drives up value

The other part of that, is that it is very important that the general public always be invited and encouraged to attend any Fiero show or gathering, and to be allowed to ask questions, closely look at the vehicles, and that those showing or otherwise in attendance with a Fiero, be cordial, answer the public's questions, and generally extend a "Hey, find ya one and join us next time" to them.

Values don't rise only on the #s of a something that are available---that 'desirablility' equation also has to include the total number of people who want any particular object. Increase that quantity and values will increase proportionally.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would have to disagree with many here. The only Fieros that would be worth something better (not meaining investment grade) are those with real low miles (< 1000) totally stock and untouched. A highly modified Fiero worth more? Ja! Only if done by a shop in the Foose/Trepanier league. Never seen any of those shops doing one. Maybe later they would. So just enjoy the drive.
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

A highly modified Fiero worth more? Ja!

That's what they said about Model A's, Deuces, etc, basically 25 year old junkers in the 50's until a small crowd starting hot rodding them. They represented a marginalized car sub-culture that exploded in desireability in the 70's and are still going strong. Ever priced out plain jane 32 Ford, let alone a fiberglass clone, or a highly modified one? The fact is, nobody knows for sure what's going to happen, so why not keep a positive outlook?
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

That's what they said about Model A's, Deuces, etc, basically 25 year old junkers in the 50's until a small crowd starting hot rodding them. They represented a marginalized car sub-culture that exploded in desireability in the 70's and are still going strong. Ever priced out plain jane 32 Ford, let alone a fiberglass clone, or a highly modified one? The fact is, nobody knows for sure what's going to happen, so why not keep a positive outlook?

You are comparing the Fiero to Model A's, Deuces? Yeah wait for it. In 75yrs I'll be dead any way
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Paulv:

First, the Mera listed for about 60% higher than the GT in 1988, plus only 159 were made compared to 6,848 GT's. Plus, there is buyer interest in a "Ferrari" look alike. I have tracked Mera's sold in the price range in my price guide.

Why would there be any large financial interest in a Merra as a "Ferrari like" when you can get a 308GTB for less than $30k. It sets a low ceiling imo.

mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

Why would there be any large financial interest in a Merra as a "Ferrari like" when you can get a 308GTB for less than $30k. It sets a low ceiling imo.

I think there are people who can afford 10k for a Ferrari look-alike that cannot afford $25-30k for a 308. The cost of ownership (insurance/maintenance) is also a lot less on a pontiac vs a ferrari.

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8
88 Yellow GT

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-27-2012 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my thought.. is 80's cars in general.. are in the same boat as the 73 up cars..
73-81 cars never really got the collector vibe, because they came after the 64-72 muscle cars, and even a 72 chevelle with a 307 smallblock ,no option car that grandma bought and is now a 350 with mags,will get collectors mouth watering more than a 73, unless it's a lunguna S-3 with a 454 that is.. the 73 up cars have a few "bright spots", 73-74 super duty's, hurst old/etc.. but there was and still is way to many 64-72 cars ou there for the interest in the 73 up cars to take off.. like anything ,there are some that don't follow that rule.. bandit t/a's ,big block camaro's, etc

the 80's cars have the same type issue.. the cars that came after them, well.. SMOKE THEM IN EVERY WAY..
these cars people want because they wanted one when in highschool... and couldn't afford one.. or had one before.. like the 73-81 group there are some that break that rule, 89 turbo t/a, g/n,gnx, LE1,firehawk, and a few with shelby on the flanks..
nothing wrong with cars from these years (i have 3) but people that are going to buy them. do because they liked them, cause truthfully, if I could've afforded a pontiac solice coupe, I'd have that, as it'll run circles around a fiero.. STOCK, and the only way these cars are worth anything to a collector is if it stock..
if rear drive proformance cars where not reborn. they might have gone up.. I love my fiero.. and it's a powerless turd. I love my 86 SS. it also is a powerless turd..
these cars not going up in cost, is a GOOD thing.. it gives people that want an older car. something they can afford.. can play with, and not be afriad to hurt it's value if they drop a non stock engine in them..
the 64-72 cars are value able because of a few things, no emmission crap, and K.I.S.S. the guy with no mechanic background can fix them. of and the biggie, they still make parts for them..
something that can't be said for the fiero.. like the g.m. g bodys, very little is made for them.. when you compare what you can still get for most 64-72 cars that are on a collectors radar..
EFI still scares people, and lets face it.. 82-92 wasn't the best years for factory efi anything..
like anything.. it's hit or miss.. a 55 chevy is hot, a 54 not, a 57 chevy hot, a 58 not.. what happens in the next 12 years will be very telling.. the cars that will be worth big cake will be the big c.i.d. late model muscle cars, because that group is looking death row straight in the eye.. the epa's new fleet cafe ratings, will all but kill that market..
if the 80's cars start to get more love from the aftermarket.. they'll become worth more, cause you'll not have to hunt for a part..
if I had 20k to burn on a 2 seater..and wanted a toy/hobby car.. a fiero gt would be down on my list, because for that cake I can buy a vette, that will go up in value if you buy right, and FFR makes a nice little daytona coupe.. .. but like anything.. what I'd do. isn't what someone else might.. I bought my fiero for, mpg.. I lucked into a indy model.. that was clean..
but I was looking for mpg and refuse to drive an import.. and sadly the used car market is such that a 150k 4cyl econo box thats 8-12 years old is still worth 3500 for a car that was cared for..
if I'm gonna pay that much, I wanted something with a little fun factor..
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You are comparing the Fiero to Model A's, Deuces?

My own father helped bury a 32 Ford in the cow pasture because it was worthless... so yeah, I'm comparing Fiero's to Deuces. Nothing... not gold, money, cars, houses, stocks, or land has any value unless people desire them.

In 75yrs I'll be dead any way

15 years ago nobody thought a 60's Mopar would command $35K - $45K. If you don't follow demographics when evaluating a car's potential value, then you may as well spend your money at the slot machines.

Originally posted by no2pencil:
Why would there be any large financial interest in a Merra as a "Ferrari like" when you can get a 308GTB for less than $30k.

So you think that the value of any particular car is a static thing? A car's value on any given day is only a testament to it's desirability on that day. According to the same article I quoted earlier in Road & Track, 1960's vintage Ferrari GTO's "routinely appeared in R&T's Market Place for $6500". In 1987, a scant 20 years later those same vintage GTO's were selling for $1.6M to $2.0M on average. Now you can make fun of my comparison of Fiero's to Ferraris like Alex4mula did of my comparison to model A's and 32 Fords, but the bottom line is that you or I just don't know what will happen to the values of our cars, but we can have an impact by the way we talk about them. The glass is half full: the demise of Pontiac, the low production numbers of certain models, the fact that the Fiero was the first mass produced mid engined car, a two seater, using brand new space frame technology, all make the car intriguing from a collectible standpoint. The demographics are such that the '70's cars are in their prime right now but the '80's cars will have their hey-day. What North American '80's cars were exciting other than the Pony cars, Corvette, and Fiero? Values already seem to be on the rise. The economy is (slowly) turning around. So what's up with all the pessimism? Geesh.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-27-2012 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oh, to have a crystal ball or a time machine.. oh,hell while dreaming, both lol.

if people knew what was gonna be worth money, every superbird/daytona that dealers couldn't give away when new, would've been in a warehouse waiting..
my dad laughs a at telling all the ls6 parts he'd pass over at the national swaps, that if anyone knew what would happen, could've become a very rich person, warehousing parts, n.o.s. ,used,
it's a crap shoot..
sad that g.m. thinking was the way it was back then.. cause a g/n engine would've been one hell of an e ticket ride if they didn't ,protect the vette like they did/do
we'll never know, but my feeling is the redesign of the 88 fiero was it's death, it got to close to the halo vette for g.m.'s like'n
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:
.. The demographics are such that the '70's cars are in their prime right now but the '80's cars will have their hey-day. What North American '80's cars were exciting other than the Pony cars, Corvette, and Fiero? Values already seem to be on the rise. The economy is (slowly) turning around. So what's up with all the pessimism? Geesh.

Talking about demographics the baby boomers (gazillions!) have definitely rised demand for those 70s cars. Yes no one can predict the future and I'm not trying to be pessimistic. Just more realistic. As I said initially I was disagreeing and not making fun of anybody. Just think comparing a modified Fiero to a modified 50s duece that goes today for a lot of $$ is a little off. I'm more in line with the Corvair comparison. That one I saw a mint stock example go at Barret for $7k. But probably it was a $2k car back in the 60s. Do I wish I would be wrong and have these be worth $100k in 20 yrs? Oh yes.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2012 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look at the Corvair and you will see the future.

There were several different Corvairs offered with the Convertible and Coupe Monza Turbo and the 65 and up two doors always being the top value. The Corvair has a following and is collectable but the reality is there were just too many of them built. It will take a long time for demand to out weigh the supply. While they may not be seen everyday by some here there are still a lot of Fiero's and many low Mile models still sitting around in garages.

When the day comes you can not find one on the web or in Hemmings for sale then they will be in low supply. Just looking around there are a very large number of these cars still available anytime you want one. It may not be next door but you can find a clean car for sale anytime you want one.

As for custom cars. The cars that will be worth money will be the ones who document the build and build quality. Too often many people dump a ton of money into a custom car and offer no proof of build quailty. This in the end limits price.

I do see several models of Fiero always at a higher price. An original Pace Car , Any 88 V6, any 85-87 V6 and some well done kit cars that are popular with more than Fiero fans. That means the good Ferrrari kits but not the ones that make the Fiero into some odd car or semi Vette.

I also see cars with older original performance parts from the 80's. DGP parts and other aftermarket parts that just can't be found or are hard to find will always play an interest to the market.

The Corvair, MG and Spitfire are all good examples of where we can expect this ship to go. Popular with the low dollar sports car collector but never a Shelby.

The one type of Fiero that will increase to a limited degree will be the GM Protoypes that were sold. These will not only be an interest to Fiero fans but to later GM show car fans.

I also feel Freds Indy pace car even in the PPG body is one if not the most collectable Fiero in private hands. Not only is it an original of the three on track pace cars but it also has a great history with PPG as a pace car. It's documented history is valuable to the Fiero fan, GM prototype fan and the Indy car fan. Some of the latter two would pay more since they often have more to spend for a one off car with history.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock