Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  3.4l DOHC engine rebuild and turbo upgrade (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
3.4l DOHC engine rebuild and turbo upgrade by Matt Hawkins
Started on: 03-31-2011 02:04 PM
Replies: 43 (3974 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 12-18-2017 05:57 AM
Matt Hawkins

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well the Fiero has been together for about 7 years/60k miles now and needs a refresh. I scored a new crate engine on Ebay for $300. It just needs my better pistons and bottom end bolts from the current engine. While tearing down the old engine, I discovered the timing chain guide disintegrated and collected in the oil pump pickup. Yikes.

While I have things apart, it is time for some upgrades too. I made ~415 whp on the GT3071r. Bigger is always better, so I am going with a GT3076r with 500 whp as the target. When I was researching the new turbo, I discovered that Garrett made a 3071 with both a 56.5mm turbine and a 60mm turbine. I have long complained about my ATP housing for sucking ass. It turns out, it is designed for the 60mm wheel and I have the 56.5 (all that was available when introduced). So I have been running with basically an air gap around the turbine. Not good for spool or effeciency. The 3076r uses the 60mm turbine, so I can drop it into my current hot side and not change the exhaust. While I am at it, Ching Chong has some decent water to air intercoolers that I am going to install. With the engine in the back, I don't have the best layout for my air to air.

Timing chain guide failure.

Guide missing on left.

Giant heads.

Totally ****ed.

Rube goldberg timing arrangement.

Tear down.

Old versus new.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad she's getting some upgrades! I hope you meet your goals. I pulled my turbo too and am in the middle up of upgrading (kind of) to a Precision 6176sp. It's the same size in virtually every manner but it has a better compressor wheel on it.

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph
FOR SALE
GM Tuners

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any thoughts on a tranny upgrade as well?

Looking forward to watching your rebuilt thread.
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No plans for trans upgrade. I have the stronger diff. I am going to use a better pressure plate. I don't think a stock one will be up to the task with almost 100 more whp. Same disk though.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow. Most people expect something to go wrong with the timing belt, not the timing chain.

I must admit that I like the timing belt layout of my Stealth(3000GT) engine better. No timing chain. The belt is driven by the crank and the timing belt turns the water pump. So if the serpentine belt ever breaks or jumps, then you don't have to stop immediately. I have had a serpentine belt fail on my 2.8 and Duke and each time I had to shut off the engine and get off the highway in a hurry.

I'm curious, why are you tearing down the brand new engine? Are you installing forged parts?

I'm glad that you are shooting for 500 hp. I think you can do it with this engine.

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stock pistons are plain old cast and fairly thin. I don't think they would hold up to boost. The hypereutectic versions are much better quality and so far good enough. I am swapping in those pistons and the rods that have ARP hardware.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That makes sense.

Good luck and I look forward to watching your progress.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be sure to check the valve seals I bought one of the crate engines and it is smoking on cold start up after setting
I am not sure if its coming from the seals or just isnt broke in yet though
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Erik, I was worried about that. It appears mine was made in 96 or 97. That is a long time ago! Since I have it apart and needed a new gasket kit, I am replacing the seals.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2011 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought one of those crate engines too. I plan on replacing the cams anyway so I guess while the cams are out, I'll replace all of the VSS.

Thanks for the tip, Eric.
Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2011 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats, um... interesting. Your crate engine has 96-97 pistons. They were flat tops from 91-95. In 96 they got what you have there, a raised center. I guess since it was made after the production initial run, they used the current pistons of the day. I bet your front valve cover wasn't painted either. Crate motors are funny like that. Just so you are aware, since those pistons are 96-97 style they are hypereutectic. If you look under the bottom of the piston, you will see steel inserts around the inside of the skirt too.

I'm also noticing a few other interesting quirks about your motor. It doesn't have an oil level sensor, nor an oil filter spacer/sensor manifold. Both of which are found on 94-95 engines, I see one on your motor that you pulled. It also looks like it has the 94-95 front valve cover, which has provisions for the cam sensor, yet you have no cam and no crank sensors. And, it has 94-95 cam sprockets. So... it's a strange motor, not something that ever came from the showroom floor like that.

Im looking forward to seeing how this comes together. I have always had my eyes on this car and project. I've been wanting to boost my 3.4 forever too.
PFF
System Bot
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure about the pistons. The Sealed Power hypereutectics have a lower ring pack though. I am a fan of that. Also, the casting and machine quality of the SP seems much higher than the factory jobs. One thing that is curious is the exhaust valves. They are different than the stock pieces. I wonder if they are just SS and not sodium filled like the originals (expensive). The pistons in the engine also had a 4mm oil ring. I thought all factory cars had 3mm.
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another oddity of the crate engine is the use of the later timing chain/coolant cover. This makes the later alternator mandatory too.
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it drilled for cam and crank sensors?
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It isn't drilled for the cam sensor. Nor does it have the 24x reluctor ring in the balancer.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Matt,
I'm interested in what exhaust you're using with this set up. That engine breathes so much better than most I've seen/heard and moves a bunch of air. Most exhausts I've heard would seem to be restrictive. I'd like to free up my exhaust on my 3.4 TDC but, I don't want something loud. Already lost too much of my hearing due to poor choices, don't want to lose what little I have left.

------------------
Ron

Darksyde

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DarksydeSend a Private Message to DarksydeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I miss my LQ1. :-(
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool I think that the LQ1 has much potential
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darksyde:

I miss my LQ1. :-(

Me too

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Matt,
I'm interested in what exhaust you're using with this set up. That engine breathes so much better than most I've seen/heard and moves a bunch of air. Most exhausts I've heard would seem to be restrictive. I'd like to free up my exhaust on my 3.4 TDC but, I don't want something loud. Already lost too much of my hearing due to poor choices, don't want to lose what little I have left.

I am using custom stainless headers I built. I have a 40 series muffler and the car isn't that loud in the cabin.

dsnover

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Matt Hawkins:

I am using custom stainless headers I built. I have a 40 series muffler and the car isn't that loud in the cabin.

Matt, any interest in building another set of those for a 96 LQ1?

-Darryl
PFF
System Bot
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dsnover:

Matt, any interest in building another set of those for a 96 LQ1?

-Darryl

Ditto
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those headers are very impressive. You do great work with a torch.
fast40driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fast40driverSend a Private Message to fast40driverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While you had it down, did you happen to notice if it had the new oil pump drive O-ring? I am going OBD 1.5, so I need to replace (or remove and bore) the cam carrier anyway, might as well pull the head and replace the O-ring also if it is the old style.

Thanks,

Mike
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine is back in the car. I need to figure out where I am going to mount the new water/air intercooler and pipe it. Hopefully be driving it in the next week.

Engine going back together.

Finally in the car. I bought a weld in oil fill bung and cap from Jegs. It worked out well. Sent the covers for powder coating after welding in the new oil fill.
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2011 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Matt,
That is some impressive work there. Why did you choose the motor over say the 3800 SC motor? I would have jumped on a crate motor for $300,00 if I thought I could find one. I agree those headers look very nice. What size piping did you use and are the ports round on those heads? It looks like a custom built intake too. Man that is some serious power you are making there. Would love to see a car like that up close and personal. I HAD a 3800SC here but was forced to sell it when I got sick. Feeling better now and I am starting to get the dream of a turbo motor again.... NICE work man.. peace

Pete

BlackThunderGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2011 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like this build, can’t wait to see more
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2011 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pete,

I chose the 3.4 years ago. I believe it was in 1999 when I bought the first one. It has been a blessing/curse since then. If I were to do it again, I would probably use the 3.8 SC with a turbo. That is hard to beat.
3.1 88FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2011 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.1 88FieroGTSend a Private Message to 3.1 88FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anything new on this?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2011 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
have you done a dyno run yet or been to the drag strip
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2011 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

have you done a dyno run yet or been to the drag strip

Yeah, how about an update?

------------------
Ron
"While you cannot control the length of your life, you can control the width and depth." Live life to it's fullest, you may not see tomorrow.

PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2011 06:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bmp for upDate
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2011 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2011 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, just saw this. I have had the car up and running since Power Tour, but with the new power, I am slipping the clutch. I am just going to wait until winter to change it out, so numbers will have to wait for next year I am hoping for close to 500 whp with the GT35R.

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2011 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about some pictures?

Nolan
stickboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2011 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickboySend a Private Message to stickboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

How about some pictures?

Nolan

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2012 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How's It going?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2012 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Matt Hawkins:

Rube goldberg timing arrangement.

I LOL'ed
3.1 88FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2012 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.1 88FieroGTSend a Private Message to 3.1 88FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump any updates for us Matt?
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2013 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bumpity bump! Another winter is over, and we all want to hear how things are going with the new motor!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock