Anybody else here into meditation? by GT Bastard
Started on: 07-17-2000 09:14 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Sage on 07-23-2000 11:42 PM
GT Bastard

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2000 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
Just curious...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post07-17-2000 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post
This pill makes me happy, this pill helps me sleep... oh wait, you said meditation, not medication. Never mind.

------------------

Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2000 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageDirect Link to This Post
You mean TM? With a Beeja? (seed mantra)
KnightRyder31

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2000 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightRyder31Send a Private Message to KnightRyder31Direct Link to This Post
Yes GTBasterd, I am into meditation. I grew up in the martial arts, so I supose it has become acustom to my daily life.
Why ask?
GT Bastard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2000 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT BastardClick Here to visit GT Bastard's HomePageSend a Private Message to GT BastardDirect Link to This Post
To anyone who actually does meditate, would you care to share experiences on what works best for you?
Fret Naught

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2000 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fret NaughtSend a Private Message to Fret NaughtDirect Link to This Post
For me it is a matter of Focus Focus Focus, and proper breathing. I do not empty my mind but fill it, I don't trance out or enter a state of semi conscience. I do end up refreshed, calmed and revitilized.
Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2000 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
I would if i had the patience...
My7Fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2000 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosDirect Link to This Post
umm...yeah...what Fred said!
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2000 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyDirect Link to This Post
My namesake represents at least partially my method of meditation. Although, it also represents the method by which I practice self defense. Funny how that works.....

A different question would be what do you look to obtain from the meditation?

Taiji

Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2000 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
I would but then I'd have to think

------------------
Marc 87GT

dogtired

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2000 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dogtiredSend a Private Message to dogtiredDirect Link to This Post
I often meditate?
Seems like every time I click on a different link or site I have plenty of time to, especially if there are several photos on it?
I have lots better luck with the pills
PFF
System Bot
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2000 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageDirect Link to This Post
There are many different forms of meditation. Any time you are so focused on anything that you block out everything else, you are practicing a form of meditation.

The meditation that Maharishi Mahesh Yogi brought to this country is called transendental meditation. It uses a "mantra" to focus on along with proper breathing and atmosphere. When he first introduced it in this country,(1955) he was giving lectures in central park and didn't charge anything for initiation into the practice(involves getting your"own" mantra). What he found was that noone much was interested.

He went back to India and studied the problem and came to the conclusion, that westerners only place value on things that have a price tag. So he came up with a price for his services. At first he charged one weeks wages. No matter who you were or what you did. That didn't work because a junior exec. making 1,500 a week felt ripped off when the paper boy got the same service for what he collected in a week! Then he set prices. One for adults, one for children, one for students. That's still how it is as far as I know.

There was enough interest at one point, (back in the 60's) that the U.S. military investigated having it implimented into basic training. Some of the high ranking officers still do it. There are many benifits. It improves hearing, eyesight, sense of taste and smell. It is theraputic for the thyroid and gives you greater powers of concentration and logic. There were lab tests done with moniters hooked all over the bodies of the subjects.

Anyway, before this turns into a book, they finaly concluded, that it would be too "foriegn" to be widely accepted and dropped the idea of adopting it.

As far as I know there are still centers around the world, including the U.S., where you can get initiated and learn the practice.

I remember hearing about a school that was started called M.I.T. that was devoted entirely to the practice and things related to it. It might have been in Indiana, but I really don't recall.

Just for the record, it is not a religous practice, it is a therapy.

As I said, there are many different forms of meditation, TM is only one, but it is practiced by many people world wide and accepted as very beneficial to one's overall well being.

Hope this gives you a little more insight into the subject.

Have a good one!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock