A thought about nature and mankind... by lennyb4
Started on: 06-14-2000 10:14 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Shadow Wolf on 06-18-2000 03:21 AM
lennyb4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2000 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lennyb4Send a Private Message to lennyb4Direct Link to This Post
Just a thought.... (see below)

[This message has been edited by lennyb4 (edited 06-14-2000).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wkayl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2000 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wkaylSend a Private Message to wkaylDirect Link to This Post
Here is what was posted in "Fiero fire" by lennyb4.

Ok guys im probally setting myself up for some comments and flames but i gotta say it.
Im no tree hugging freak or anything like that but i think its horrible that this fire which
was probally caused by someones neglect will probally end up consuming thousands of
acre's of woodlands. When this is combined with the outright rape of the natural world
its just depressing (and aggrevating). I really do enjoy the outdoors, woods, forest and
basicly anything that deals with true nature and i am trying damn hard to teach these
morals and appreciation for nature to my kids as well. I cant stand it when i watch
shows that show the complete destruction of forest area's and try to make it sound
like its no big deal. If we really need to log, clear, and burn that much area for our
living and recreational area's then they should have the dignity and take the
responsibility to plant a seedling for each tree removed. We as mankind need to...
better yet MUST take responsibility for nature and all that it has givin to us. We
narrow-mindedly destroy hundred of thousands of acres per year for our own personal
gains with-out any thought to the future generations or to what the ramifications of
our actions will be over long time exposure. We all ready have severe landslides,
tornadoes, flooding, destructive ball lightning, in areas where these conditions never or
rarely existed prior to logging and clearing. We also have caused extint species (animal
+ veg.), and god knows what natural medicines/herbs/ that we have lost due to our
lack of respect for nature.I guess im just worried that my children and grandchildren
wont have the chance to see and appreciate the true beauty of nature and all its
bounties before its all gone. And that ladies and gentlemen would truely be a
shame......

P.S.
Im really sorry for the long post but somethings just set me off sometimes.

[This message has been edited by wkayl (edited 06-14-2000).]

batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2000 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Amen, brother Lenny.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2000 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Yup. What he said.
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2000 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageDirect Link to This Post
Well thought out and even better stated.

Only thing most of us seem to be able to do is fix our own little corner.

Maybe when you put all the little corners together, there will be something to cherish and hand down...maybe not.

"The whole can move no faster than you do, and you can move no faster than the whole"

Mundane example: Drive thru line at McDonalds. Profound example: State of the planet.

BN Boomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2000 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BN BoomerSend a Private Message to BN BoomerDirect Link to This Post
No offense, but I can't help but think that you have been somewhat brainwashed by some of those biased TV shows. If you are talking about the logging practices of some third world countries, then yes, I agree there is definitely a lot of room for improvement and they should be encouraged to take appropriate steps towards managing their resources in an environmentally friendly manner. However, logging practices in North America have come a long way and our forests are quite well managed. In my opinion and obervation, when done properly, clear cut logging, while perhaps unsightly to some, is not environmentally harmful and I'm seeing more and more selective logging as well. And having walked through many a forest that was clearcut back at the turn of the century, when the notion of environmental friendliness hardly ever crossed anyone's mind, you would be hard pressed to tell that such an event had ever taken place. The old rotting stumps hidden amongst the towering new trees and lush undergrowth are about the only indicator.

Some people just don't like the idea of a single tree being cut down. A lot of these environmental groups that oppose logging don't even want blown down timber to be salvaged. Talk about idiocy.

The notion that the world has always existed as we know it and that it should be preserved in it's current state forever also bugs me. That's why Yellowstone Park had such ravaging fires about 10 years ago, because nature wasn't allowed to take it's course and we weren't properly managing it and allowed it to become one giant tinder box.

Those fires should make you happy if you truly love nature. They have been a part of the natural process since time began. Maybe our continued attempt to prevent and control them has been at the detriment of the environment.

And again, no offense, but if people really want to help preserve the world, perhaps they should rethink having those children and grandchildren in the first place. Population growth is what's going to do us in. Eventually we will get to a point where our numbers are unsustainable no matter what and there will be no quality of life to be found anywhere. I don't know it was intended or not, but when I watched "Independence Day" I couldn't help but a draw a parallel between the aliens that moved from planet to planet and using up all the resources to sustain their species, and our own human race. Something to think about...

Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2000 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageDirect Link to This Post
We have all heard it before but, "change is the only constant there is in the universe"

Doesn't mean we have to understand it, like it, accept it, or even be aware of it.

Just means it has always been, and will never stop.

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2000 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
Those who have spoken to me on ICQ, or over email, might have guessed I'm a bit of an environmentalist. I'm not fanatical about it, I don't chain myself to trees.. or march around outside factories with a sign.. I do drive a car.. I do take airplanes when I travel far away.. and if I'm in a hurry, I'll drive instead of walking and risking being late.

I've been interested in alternative fuels and energy for several years now, and I've seen things that would revolutionize the transportation industry.. vapor carbs that allow up to 200mpg.. water injection that virtually elminates harmful emissions (usually water injection is used for performance increases.. but with some slight adjustments and less fuel.. it can increase your mileage without any performance loss..) yet so much money is being made from the sale of oil.. many of the inventors of these devices are bought out by the oil companies, and the designs end up on a shelf gathering dust. Things are starting to improve, with the gas/electric hybrids, fuel cell cars, etc.. but what about all the older ones that are still spewing out harmful pollution?

The majority of the people in the world probably aren't concerned with keeping their cars totally stock.. collectors probably would be, but the average driver probably would be willing to pay a few hundred dollars if it would double his mileage, or allow his vehicle to pass even California emissions testing with ease.. but most people haven't even heard of these devices, and therefore wouldn't believe they worked. Several years ago there was an investigative report on CBC about fuel enhancers.. they only reported the ones that *didn't* work, thus implying that none of the ones on the market worked as claimed.. but a few did.

Anyway, sorry for the rant.. if anyone is interested in discussing alternative fuels and such, email me or send an ICQ message. I'd be glad to chat about this stuff, share some of my links and research, etc!

Shadow Wolf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2000 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shadow WolfClick Here to visit Shadow Wolf's HomePageSend a Private Message to Shadow WolfDirect Link to This Post
Believe it or not, 90% of forest fires are caused naturally. (Mainly lightning strikes). The truth is, there are many deciduous trees which cones will not open UNLESS there is a fire. Destructive, dangerous, yes.. But it is one of the most natural ways of forest renewal.

BEFORE I get flamed from anyone, I'm NOT saying we should all go out and burn down trees, I'm just adding that we shouldn't chalk it all up to human stupidity.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock