Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Amida F355 Interior installation (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Amida F355 Interior installation by hnthomps
Started on: 11-07-2010 03:49 PM
Replies: 68
Last post by: Lurate on 01-11-2013 11:56 PM
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Several years ago I decided to update the interior on an 88 Mera. After researching everything available at the time, I settled on a F355 interior made by Amida/Rob. The quality is absolutely outstanding and the work is better than OEM Ferrari IMHO. Due to me being out of the country so much during those years, this project remained boxed up in my basement for nearly two years after I got the new interior.

A couple of months ago, I finally decided to do the installation. This necessitated tearing out the old stock interior, installing soundproofing material, new VDO instrumentation, and the new interior pieces. I hit a snag (time wise) when we needed to care for my youngest son for about three weeks after major knee surgery. With the Silver Springs, Florida show rapidly approaching, I decided to get some help completing the work. I also dislike electrical work since I am so slow tracing all of the wiring on the modified 3800 SC harness. That is where the good folks in Woodstock, Georgia (Whodeanie and crew) came to the rescue. I dropped the car off there for about two days and they finished the work in time for me to make the show.

I have selected a few pictures that illustrate the interior refurbishment process and will use them in the interior build thread. There were a few things learned about VDO instrumentation and 3800 SC swaps that I will also list to help out anyone else who contemplates a similar installation.

With a 3800 SC Series III engine, computer from a 2006 GTP, and VDO instrumentation, there are a couple of potential issues. The computer tach signal will not drive the VDO instrument. The only two solutions considered so far are new ignition systems with a tach output and rebuilding an alternator to include a tach signal from that component. No ignition systems with a tach output that work on 3800 SCs have been located and we are working on possible price for the alternator modification. The other two issues discovered were resolved by a tee in the oil pressure line and a new tap for the VDO temperature instrumentation. It would be a much better solution if the two oil and water pressure measurement points were done prior to engine installation and integrated into the harness.

Original Interior Stripped

Soundproofing Using Dynamat

Carpet Installation

Door Panel Installation

Center Console Area

Dash Installation

Mr. Mike's Leather Seat Covers

Almost Finished Interior

Remaining Work (Stereo/Navigation/Camera System Installation)

New NAV Antenna

Speaker Pods

Interior Stereo/NAV Photos

Electronic Cruise Control

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 11-20-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
Looks great!!
SMTHGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post
Veerrryy nice. Love the colors

------------------
Steve
-- aka. SmoothGT
CURRENT BUILD:
" SmoothGT-'w8nc' "
1987 Fiero V8/hybrid
1999 Lexus SC-400
V8

theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
That looks amazing! Good work so far!
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
beautiful

------------------

bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksDirect Link to This Post
That interior is so far superior to the one that came in the 355 I bought assembled

Your interior is absolutle gorgeous.
Jim
mera7

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-08-2010 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mera7Direct Link to This Post
Nelson... all i can say is WOW...AWESOME!!!
Sofa King

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingDirect Link to This Post
BEAUTIFUL!
GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetDirect Link to This Post
MAN! That looks amazing!
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2010 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Bump
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2010 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
That interior just makes me drool. Awesome work.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post11-11-2010 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
I hate you! I hate Whodeanie! Seriously. I Just had a kid. (And he rocks! ) Do you understand just how long it will be before I can afford an interior as great as yours?! You have ruined my perceptions of my stock GT interior. Arrgh!

Oh yeah, I hate Amida also.

And just what were you thinking outsourcing interiors to robots? A human might not have done a good as job, but at least you would have been putting people to work.

------------------

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2010 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

Remaining Work (Stereo/Navigation/Camera System Installation)

I have the same exact radio/nav in my 88gt; I LOVE it!
Just some notes for ya...

Its a bit difficult fitting all the wires behind the radio. I actually de-pinned quite a few of the unused wires/rca's that were not needed; it freed up allot of space (just make a not of where to re-pin the leads if you wanted to sell it)...

The GPS antenna is very sensitive; I installed mine under the dash on the drivers side front corner. I made a lil "L" bracket to mount it on (mounted the bracket to the lil lip under the windshield). It picks up satellite signal even in my warehouse (w/ garage door open & Fiero by the door) very quickly...

The nav module fits perfectly in the Fiero sub-amp location; a lil Velcro and your good to go...

Depending on your system, if your using the RCA pre-amp outputs; put some electrical tape around the bare metal. If the bare metal makes contact with chassis ground, you will hear a crackle/static...

The ONLY down-side to this kenwood deck is there is no display when the screen is closed. But how often is that going to be The only time I close mine is when I am parked or adjusting the a/c...
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2010 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Any more interest in this or should I just let it die?

Nelson
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2010 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post
Of course not! This is a very quality thread. (Lots'a pics and very great work)
The majority of the people that look at the thread don't post, but always like looking. Keep up the great work!
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2010 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I hate you! I hate Whodeanie! Seriously. I Just had a kid. (And he rocks! ) Do you understand just how long it will be before I can afford an interior as great as yours?! You have ruined my perceptions of my stock GT interior. Arrgh!

Oh yeah, I hate Amida also.

And just what were you thinking outsourcing interiors to robots? A human might not have done a good as job, but at least you would have been putting people to work.

LMAO!!!!
I am no robot and we busted our butts off for 2 days to get this done. long days, but I am gald we could get it done for the show. I have to give it to Amida this kit is by far the nicest one I have ever seen and had the pleasure to install.
Thanks Nelson
D.

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2010 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

hnthomps, when I first saw this thread (today), I thought, "I must ask him how he handled the usual damage/cracking that often occurs at the lower left corner of the Fiero's dash, shown clearly in one of your photos (which I've copied above).

Then, in another photo of yours (which I've copied below) I saw the answer to my question, so I withdraw my question, but I've nonetheless two points to make in regard to what you did:
  1. That sure fixes the usual damage/cracking that often occurs at the lower left corner of the Fiero's dash.
  2. G-A-W-D, that looks nice!

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
I also have an alternative solution to the cracking dash corner in that I have a separate Beechwood dash with no damage sitting in my basaement. However, I likely will try to repair this dash just to see if I can do so. BTW, you also get more leg room with this interior!

Nelson

Originally posted by project34:

hnthomps, when I first saw this thread (today), I thought, "I must ask him how he handled the usual damage/cracking that often occurs at the lower left corner of the Fiero's dash, shown clearly in one of your photos (which I've copied above).

Then, in another photo of yours (which I've copied below) I saw the answer to my question, so I withdraw my question, but I've nonetheless two points to make in regard to what you did:
  1. That sure fixes the usual damage/cracking that often occurs at the lower left corner of the Fiero's dash.
  2. G-A-W-D, that looks nice!

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 11-20-2010).]

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
TTT
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
Do you have any suggestions on where to buy carpet from? Prices?
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
Just finished the stereo install on this one and I forgot to get pic's so I hope Nelson will post some for all of you. I built custom pods for the door speakers
as well as the install and a few repairs while it was here.
D.
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2010 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
I got my carpet through Rob/Amida when I was color matching the new interior. He has a connection somewhere and I am certain that he can supply a lot of new carpet in various colors.

Nelson

Originally posted by grkboy707:

Do you have any suggestions on where to buy carpet from? Prices?

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2010 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
New Stereo/NAV/Cruise Control equipment photos posted today.

Nelson
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2010 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Looks great, nice work Dean!

Two questions for ya. What are the gauges that are covered by the KVT-514's screen? And how do those Bostons sound? I have always wanted a whole Boston Acoustics setup in my vehicle, not as loud as some Rockford or Alpine, but I have yet to hear a speaker that is more clear, crisp, and as quality as Boston makes. Nice choice!
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
The sometimes covered gauges are as follows: Fuel, Oil Pressure, and Clock. I have used the BA 4 x 6 plate speakers in the back for years and really like them (crisp and clean). The BAs (6.5") now in the door pods also sound good but I only have a few hours on them right now. BTW, I am currently running the system off the head unit without an additional amp. I may or may not add an amp at a later date.

Nelson

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

Looks great, nice work Dean!

Two questions for ya. What are the gauges that are covered by the KVT-514's screen? And how do those Bostons sound? I have always wanted a whole Boston Acoustics setup in my vehicle, not as loud as some Rockford or Alpine, but I have yet to hear a speaker that is more clear, crisp, and as quality as Boston makes. Nice choice!

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

BTW, I am currently running the system off the head unit without an additional amp. I may or may not add an amp at a later date.

Nelson

haha I almost asked about that, but didn't see any subwoofer, so I doubted it.

If you dont want to run an amplifier, I have a friend that swears by this device:

It makes his stock speakers in his Tahoe sound much nicer. Just a thought, and pretty sure you can find them cheaper than $140... but not positive.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
TTT
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2010 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Bump
ghost187x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xDirect Link to This Post
very very nice !
FirstDrCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post
One of the best interiors I have seen on this website to date.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
TTT
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2010 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Last bump for this thread from me. If anyone else wants to see the thread kept alive, add a coment.

Nelson
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2010 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post

hnthomps

5728 posts
Member since Jul 2003
In answer to a recent e-mail question, not all of the switches on this vehicle are currently functional. The A/C works just fine but I have not relocated the headlamp/dimmer switch or the emergency flashers due to the amount of work involved. I have also used other switches for different things (such as power to the rear view camera). All of ther switches are physically present with this interior but no wire is currently connected to the unused switches.

Neslon
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2010 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the installation went well Nelson. Don't bother with the hazzard switch. It's integrated into the steering column & will be a nightmare to re-wire. Any pics from the car show?
CSlater21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2010 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSlater21Send a Private Message to CSlater21Direct Link to This Post
Your Interior is amazing!!!

Well done!

So how much total would a setup like this run excluding the Audio system?
Fiero-in-Paradise

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2010 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
Nelson,
Simply stunning! Beautiful work.
Tom
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2010 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
The cost is dependent on the materials selected to cover the panels and dash, instrumentation replacement costs, and whether or not you can do the work yourself. I will say that the cost is significant for the covered panels and dash, but very worthwhile. Contact Amida for details on the pricing and options available for this interior.

Nelson

Originally posted by CSlater21:

Your Interior is amazing!!!

Well done!

So how much total would a setup like this run excluding the Audio system?

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2010 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
Nelson, please post some pictures of the entire Mera with the drivers door open. That way we can see the whole effect of the interior swap.
rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2010 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersDirect Link to This Post
Was wondering where you got your carpet?? Did it come with the insulation

on hte back??

Your interior is very elegant, I bet it makes cruising that much nicer.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
As soon as I can limp to the basement without undue pain, I will get the requested pictures. I had a knee replaced last week and am still working my way back to functionality.

Nelson

Originally posted by Rick 88:

Nelson, please post some pictures of the entire Mera with the drivers door open. That way we can see the whole effect of the interior swap.

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 12-20-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock