Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  eBay Fiero - Louvers??? Wow, Never Seen That Before.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

eBay Fiero - Louvers??? Wow, Never Seen That Before. by durdenty
Started on: 01-13-2012 12:03 PM
Replies: 37
Last post by: durdenty on 01-17-2012 08:51 PM
durdenty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2012 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for durdentySend a Private Message to durdentyDirect Link to This Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item2a1827e5d2

Tried to post the pic to no avail. If someone could do that I would appreciate it. Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2012 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
These louvers come up for sale once in a blue moon. It's been a while since I've seen one come up.
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2012 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEDirect Link to This Post
I will have to admit that I thaught about what that would look like. Never enough to want to do it though! Take that thing off and you have a nice looking little ride. Not an $8000. dollar ride but nice none the less!
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2012 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
welcome back to the 80s

The fiero looks so nice by having this horizontal rear window.... why ruin it?
durdenty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2012 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for durdentySend a Private Message to durdentyDirect Link to This Post
I know, aweful! To think tha I had some on my '87 GTA Trans Am, LOL!!!
GraterFang

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2012 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangDirect Link to This Post
They look kinda wavy too
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2012 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
I don't think that was made for the Fiero specifically. If it was......well...I can see why there's not that many around
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2012 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Yup, they sold them to fit the fiero. You could also get louvers that mounted vertically to the rear window....

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 01-13-2012).]

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2012 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
jaskispyder is correct. You could purchase these louvers for both notchbacks and fastbacks, although notchback versions seem to pop up more frequently than the fastback ones do. Both are incredibly rare however and they haven't been sold retail in nearly two decades now. I forget exactly how they attach, but you basically "open" the louvers upward and then open the decklid. The reason why likely not very many are around are at their core they're completely a novelty item and second styling changed in the 90s negating anything like this on cars.
Celthora87GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2012 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Celthora87GTSend a Private Message to Celthora87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

welcome back to the 80s

The fiero looks so nice by having this horizontal rear window.... why ruin it?

Vertical rear window

------------------
1987 Black GT Custom interior with Mr. Mikes seats Series 1 L67 W/ 5 speed getrag! Almost running!!!!!

outlawfiero17

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2012 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawfiero17Send a Private Message to outlawfiero17Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jwrape:

I don't think that was made for the Fiero specifically. If it was......well...I can see why there's not that many around

I've seen that car before. And those louvers are not made for it. They are hinged on the lip of the roof with mis matched screws. The tracks on the decklid aren't right either. They guy selling the car has to flip the louvers on the roof to open the decklid. They are just barely on the car.
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2012 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Yeah.. that

Originally posted by Celthora87GT:

Vertical rear window

84se2m4

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2012 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se2m4Send a Private Message to 84se2m4Direct Link to This Post
they look rigged hardddddddddddddddddddd
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2012 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
The louvers for the fastback look 100x better in my opinion. Especially on Kameo Kid's car with the other mods he's done.

fierophenom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2012 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierophenomSend a Private Message to fierophenomDirect Link to This Post
I remember JC Whitney selling them years ago.I think the ones they sold fit flush against the back glass on notchbacks.
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

The louvers for the fastback look 100x better in my opinion. Especially on Kameo Kid's car with the other mods he's done.

I was under the impression that his were custom made..

------------------

larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Direct Link to This Post
Yes, I have seen them before. I happen to have a set of those in my garage waiitning to be installed......
I don't know about those louvres, but mine are made from aluminum....

[This message has been edited by larini74 (edited 01-14-2012).]

redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GraterFang:

They look kinda wavy too

That's what was thinking. The fit is horrible. Looks like they are wedged against the strips of metal on the trunk... must be really awkward when the trunk opens

This is so much better....

------------------
Rescued & resuscitated 1984 Indy Fiero SE Pace Car Replica #770 presently reversibly modified!
SE: Stormtrooper Edition

Everything is the Previous owners fault

[This message has been edited by redraif (edited 01-14-2012).]

HTXtremes

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HTXtremesSend a Private Message to HTXtremesDirect Link to This Post
I saw a set of these in a salvage yard a few years ago, they slide on the tracks on the decklid when the decklid was raised. The ones I saw were on a notchback. If i'd thought there would be anyone that would have wanted the louvers I'd of got them. Since then the yard crushed all their Fieros.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

jaskispyder is correct. You could purchase these louvers for both notchbacks and fastbacks, although notchback versions seem to pop up more frequently than the fastback ones do. Both are incredibly rare however and they haven't been sold retail in nearly two decades now. I forget exactly how they attach, but you basically "open" the louvers upward and then open the decklid.

Originally posted by outlawfiero17:
I've seen that car before. And those louvers are not made for it. They are hinged on the lip of the roof with mis matched screws. The tracks on the decklid aren't right either. They guy selling the car has to flip the louvers on the roof to open the decklid. They are just barely on the car.

So... Maybe they are made for the car, just a crappy install job?
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Khw

11139 posts
Member since Jun 2008

Originally posted by HTXtremes:

I saw a set of these in a salvage yard a few years ago, they slide on the tracks on the decklid when the decklid was raised. The ones I saw were on a notchback. If i'd thought there would be anyone that would have wanted the louvers I'd of got them. Since then the yard crushed all their Fieros.

If you look at the picture of these on the car of the topic, they look like they have a track on the decklid like you mention. Unless the car was a luggage rack car and they took the outer and middle rack off to mount the wing, leaving the 2 tracks on, I'd have to assume those are the tracks your mentioning.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 01-14-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I remember when those were available, even factory installed on Mustangs and Cudas. Ive seen them on 2nd gen Firbirds and Camaros too. Just my opinion, they just look hillbilly. If you like them fine. I have an excellent condition set to fit gen 2 Camaro and Firebird if anyones interested. Its a 3 piece set if I remember. Give you an awesome deal, but will not ship. Too big.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I remember seeing those things advertised, new. (Remember, I'm old enough to have owned a new 85 GT.)
I always thought that they just didn't look right on the Fiero, and I was one of the people who put louvers on a Monza 2+2.
They did have a track on the decklid, and skids or rollers on the bottom of the louvers that rode the track, as the lid was opened.
Always just looked like a bad idea.
------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-14-2012).]

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

I was under the impression that his were custom made..

Wouldn't doubt that at all. Wasn't around here when he was an active member. Both of those cars in that picture have some awesome custom work done to them.

Didn't mean to imply that his were the same as the ones listed in the eBay ad, just that louvers look way better on fastback cars, rather than the notchies.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Thats why it looks great on a DeLorean.
RKB75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RKB75Send a Private Message to RKB75Direct Link to This Post
Here's a pic from 85
I like the looks of this one better
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Most of these are hard to find as they were not all made that well. Most broke and got trashed. The Mr Gasket Aluminum ones were about the best but they also were poorly made. The more the deck lid was opened the more these things got tweeked. Often the tracks would booger up and the rivits would losen.

Few cars look good with them. Lotus and the 69-70 Boss Mustang are about the only ones I really think much of.

The most of the others just look out of place or forced to work on the car.

THe Fiero GT can get away with them as it does look like a Lotus.

It was just one of those things that looked cool in the 80's that did not age will with time. Too often this happens and it can make a car look really old and tacky.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2012 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

i love these on fast backs
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2012 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Ahhh the dreaded 80's louvered look. Break out the parachute pants and the WHAM casettes! They do appear to be more attractive on the fastbacks than the notchies...just my opinion though.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2012 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Ahhh the dreaded 80's louvered look. Break out the parachute pants and the WHAM casettes! They do appear to be more attractive on the fastbacks than the notchies...just my opinion though.

You left out Culture Club and Mullets too.

I look back now and am glad I did not have the money to do the things back then that I could have done. It has left me with the thinking now that when I do a mod what will it look like 20 years from now. Some mods I see being done today as with some in the past are similar to getting your strange but cool at the time girlfriends name tattooed on you to only leave you with a name you can't remove and regrette. You know the one one you had put on that said Winonna Forever! that you had to have change to Wino Forever!

These are things people need to think about if they plan to keep their cars. Trends and fads are not always easy to remove like the old florecent duel wipers.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 01-15-2012).]

goatvenom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2012 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatvenomSend a Private Message to goatvenomDirect Link to This Post
i have the lovours that fit flat against my back window and i think they look great but they also scream the 80's nut then again that's probably why i like them so much too.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2012 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

It has left me with the thinking now that when I do a mod what will it look like 20 years from now.

If you're talking tatoos, I completely agree.

But regarding cars, the vast majority of people don't keep their same vehicles for 20 years. So who really cares how dumb a mod might look like two decades down the road.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-15-2012).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2012 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

If you're talking tatoos, I completely agree.

But regarding cars, the vast majority of people don't keep their same vehicles for 20 years. So who really cares how dumb a mod might look like two decades down the road.

No but photos do and you have to explain this to your kids. My dad had to explain why he owned a Pink and Black Crown Vic in the 50's. He had to deal with us laughing at him for years.

The other issues are people who try to restore cars and have to undo the lambo doors that don't work real well. 63 Vettes that had the center bar removed from the rear window that has to be replaced as well as the holes from the extra tail lights that were added after the quarter panel was cut to clear the L 60 14 tires.

Restorations are for many cars to fix what seemed like a good idea at one time. LOL!.

Also going on 27 years of owning the same Fiero I am glad I passed on several ideas. I am glad I did the T tops though I have no regretts there.
Silicoan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2012 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RKB75:

Here's a pic from 85
I like the looks of this one better

I'm not normally a louver fan (louver-lover I suppose? ), but I have to admit I really like the way that looks on that car. It's not really just the louvers themselves, but also the black trim piece around the notchback clip that I think looks pretty good actually.

Anyone have any more pics/info on this particular setup?

[This message has been edited by Silicoan86 (edited 01-15-2012).]

1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2012 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silicoan86:

I'm not normally a louver fan (louver-lover I suppose? ), but I have to admit I really like the way that looks on that car. It's not really just the louvers themselves, but also the black trim piece around the notchback clip that I think looks pretty good actually.

Anyone have any more pics/info on this particular setup?

Maybe not that one, but as someone would say, tweak-able.

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/AST1159.htm
reborngt

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2012 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reborngtSend a Private Message to reborngtDirect Link to This Post
The notchback louvers with the sliding tracks were made by hammond . They were made out of aluminun and actually fit well. The ones on the red car are in really bad shape. I still have my set up that I used on my 86 se in mint condition. I currently have a plastic vertical one on my 86 gt fastback that I made work. Those were made by astro louvers.
86gt2.85

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2012 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86gt2.85Send a Private Message to 86gt2.85Direct Link to This Post
For those that might have an interest in the louver assembly shown in the original post, Check Out the following.
Just spoke with the individual that posted this listing on Craigslist " http://www.onlinepicknpull....derland_4396870.html ".
He mentioned having the louvered set-up fot the notchback, which is aluminum with fixed mounting points at the roofline and sliding tracks which mount to the rear decklid. (Sloped)
It is important to note that he said they are not for use on notchback Fieros that have the rear spoiler installed. From the looks of the original listing photos at the top of this post, the damage on those might have been caused by spoiler contact.
Also includes two notchie deck lids, Non the less, seems like a fair deal, if that's what floats your boat.
Not likely see anything like that produced again.
durdenty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2012 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for durdentySend a Private Message to durdentyDirect Link to This Post

Now those don't look half bad! I'd like to see those in-person to form a better opinion, but as of now, not bad, better that I thought louvers could look.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock