which exhaust muffler? by jon m
Started on: 06-20-2010 06:27 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: fffttt1 on 06-22-2010 12:41 AM
jon m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2010 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mDirect Link to This Post
hi, I am in the middle of stripping and rebuilding my 1987 gt fiero, and on the list of " to do's " is to port the exhaust manifolds and y pipe.
I think I am going to buy rodney's aftermarket stainless catlytic convertor ( altough going to check with my local garage that test emmisions as cat's were made legal here in 1988 i think so i may just delete the cat and have just the muffler)
my question is which muffler to go with, and i prefer if it was made out of stainless steel, can anyone point out any good makes to go with?
does anyone recommend spintech's muffler's?

thank you for any help
jon
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thumper_64735

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2010 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thumper_64735Send a Private Message to thumper_64735Direct Link to This Post
I am partial to Flowmaster personally, but others may chime in.They have a nice stainless that I have had my eyes on for my 4.9 swap, and for the wife's 3800SC swap as well.
Rush619

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2010 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rush619Click Here to visit Rush619's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rush619Direct Link to This Post
I had a spintech on my '87 gt with a catco highi flow cat. Loved the sound!

Here is an old video of the exhaust...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-9xikSxcB8
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2010 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
megaphone of supertrapp
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
If you don't need a CAT, I guarantee this will let them know you are there.

Magnaflow in the CAT position with 2.5" mandrell bend piping.

Arn
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
That Spintek muffler sounds really nice.

I tried a few different mufflers on my V6, before settling on my current setup (which is a modified Ocelot muffler). First, I tried a cherry bomb... sounded ragged and raspy... didn't like it. Then I tried a Supertrapp... sounded like a big exhaust leak... sold it. Then I tried a Hedman glass-pack... was buzzy in the upper RPM range... eventually tossed it.

I've also ridden in Fieros that have Flowmaster mufflers. They sound great at idle, and during moderate-to-hard acceleration, but tend to drone at cruising speeds. I personally find that annoying.
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the help guy's - i think the spintech is the one

jon
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraDirect Link to This Post
This sound is with a Thrush Welded muffler, a cheaper version of a 2 chamber Flowmaster, wouln't change it for anything! Video doesn't make justice.The kids around the neighbohood have named me "Euromuscle" because of the sound, they love it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRf0UgHKJ9E
fffttt1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2010 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Direct Link to This Post
I have a 2.8 5spd. w/ spintech muffler and a short glass pack in place of the cat. The spintech sounded nice alone, but the glass pack takes that little edge off ( re: brassy sound) . It sounds deep and mellow at idle and doesn't change to ricey and loud at higher rpm.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock