front plate info. by thedrue
Started on: 06-06-2010 03:38 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Australian on 06-07-2010 05:50 AM
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
So I am going through all the channels in Washington State to get a front plate exemption. I have all the paper work and am going to draft a letter soon.

The front bumper of my 87 coupe has no holes drilled and I am not interested in drilling any, I do not see the need nor want a plate on the front. Anyway, to my knowledge there is no brackets available at the moment, at least not any new ones. The state is going to investigate my claims and I just want to make sure I am not wrong in saying I cannot get the braket anymore. According to their documentation I will get the exemption if It is found that It is impossible for me to mount a plate on my car based on the fact that factory parts are not made anymore.

Anyway, I would like everyones input. Please don't just say put a plate on it and be done cause that is not the point. I also am not interested in offers to buy a bracket from anyone, at least not at the moment.

Thanks.

here is a pic of my car BTW. definitely not a place I want a plate hanging off of.

Its a turbo 3.4 there is no way anyone is seeing the front of my car long enough for it to matter, and I do not care about speed cameras, I sure dont want to make it easier for them!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
I've never seen one for that bumper style. I fabbed up a simple one for my aero nose, but that's a different story I guess.
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
thats what Im thinking. There was one made... I could drill the bumper and jerry rig something but I am not willing to. I hope to get my exemption so I can tell the cops who bug me about it to shove it where the sun dont shine.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
Several members have done this:
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by thedrue:

There was one made...

Yes there was; it doesn't require drilling. Why not put an ad in the Mall?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I agree, I hate the front plate as much as anyone, but it is untrue to say they are not available, I'm staring at one right now.

You say you are not interested in buying one, I don't know about Washington, but in Texas they don't care about what you are interested in or not. You display the tag or you get the ticket. It's that simple.

The only waiver rationale that makes sense to me is that it blocks the airflow to an engine that already runs hot. But on the coupe that reason doesn't really apply because the front plate doesn't really block the vents like it does on the aero nose.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
Tell the state that in your opinion the esthetics of your car will be ruined by having a front plate on there. That should tip it in for you.
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
The only one Ive seen DO require drilling. And although I may be able to fine one in the mall there are no sources, they are not made anymore. That is all I am checking on. Weather I can buy one or not. As far as I know I cannot go into any store and pick one up. That is what the law is worried about and it seems to be true.

I had thought about the hide a plates but with the coupe I see no way to make that happen. The body is shaped very funny in the front and will not work.

I like I said I am not going to try and buy one at the moment, I may be in the market after a while but I am going to exhaust every option first.

Thats all.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by thedrue:

The only one Ive seen DO require drilling. And although I may be able to fine one in the mall there are no sources, they are not made anymore. That is all I am checking on. Weather I can buy one or not. As far as I know I cannot go into any store and pick one up. That is what the law is worried about and it seems to be true.

Thats all.

I see your point...but good luck with that. The law enforcement around here are not interested in subtlety. You had better get duct tape and chicken wire to hold it on just as long as it's on there somehow. The Fiero Store used to sell them, but I don't see the coupe model on their site at the moment.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about the laws in your area but here in California ( even though it is still the ofiicers choice ), most people just place the front license plate on the passenger side dash against the windshield. I don't know how legal this is but as I said, many custom cars seem to get away with that method here.
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2010 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
ya, Ive thought about that, but if I can get my car exempted that is obviously the best option. If I cannot maybe Ill consider the windshield option next. I just think that is tacky. Maybe Ill make up some nice suction cups or something so it doesnt rattle and move around.
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2010 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Like jscott1 said - in Texas, it does not matter. I tired the arguement that my Formual dod not have a front plate holder and that I did not want to drill holes in my bumper for an aftermarket one. I did not win - Texas does not care how you do it. I don't think your arguement about not being able to walk into any store and buy a bracket or mount will hold water. Here is one of many examples - aftermarket - yes, impossible to buy one - no! I do hope you are successful.
http://www.autozone.com/aut...yName=Bell&categoryN Value=10099999&navValue=100729&categoryDisplayName=Adjustablelicenseplatemountingbracket&parentId=00-10&itemId=729-10&store=3145&productId=761575
I have never understood the requirement for a front plate anyway. The cops are always sneaking up from behind! Good luck.

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 06-07-2010).]

Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2010 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
Legalities can be strange in many cases it depends on the wording of the law itself and how you can present your case. If there is no GM manufactured front plate holder for that model/ year then you may be able to argue the point in your favor aftermarket really dosent come into play as the part is not oem and many laws are written on the basis of oem parts.
thedrue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2010 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
since I do not have a scanner I will just transcribe the wording f my license plate exemption form. It is fairly specific and I think I can make a case.

"FRONT LICENSE PLATES EXEMPTIONS- Impossible to affix means there is nothing made by the manufacturer for the originally manufactured vehicle which would allow the license plate to be affixed to the vehicle prescribed in RCW 46.16.240. Therefore if there is a license plate bracket made for the vehicle allowing for the front license plate to be displayed, it is required to be installed on the vehicle, weather or not it requires drilling holes.

If after researching they cannot find a license plate bracket that will work for the vehicle, they can apply for a front license plate waiver for the vehicle. These waivers are looked at on a case by case basis based on whether of not there is a bracket for the vehicle."

That is right off the form. It looks like I comply since there is no GM part anymore.

I just want to make sure all of my stuff is in order before preparing my letter.

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2010 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
It would be great to be able to refer to thedrue precedent in the future all the best of luck.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock