I hate Dexcool by Tstang429
Started on: 05-21-2010 12:29 PM
Replies: 26
Last post by: css9450 on 05-24-2010 03:06 PM
Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Click Here to Email Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
While working on my 3800 today I started cleaning my lower intake manifold to get it ready to go back on. While cleaning I started to clean up the corrosion on the manifold where the coolant comes up to the manifold. Low and behold the next thing I know my screw drivers poking threw the other side of the intake . Looks like I am on the hunt for a new lower intake. I will see if I can get any clear shots of it later. Any one who says Dexcool is corrosive is insane. Looks like I wont be able to have the car built by Carlisle now.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
aaronkoch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochClick Here to Email aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear that.. I thought the only real difference with dexcool was that it is silicate free, maybe I'm wring tho..

Maybe PO ran wrong coolant type thru motor??

Got my manifolds the other day..

------------------
----------------------------------------------------
Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
I have seen some ugly stuff from dexcool too, although it is usually all sludge related and not corrosion that bad! It seems so sensitive to air, time, and addition of non-dexcool fluid.

Good luck on the intake search! If that lower intake is susceptable to corrosion from the dexcool, you may find a lot of them with problems!

[This message has been edited by Fformula88 (edited 05-21-2010).]

watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsClick Here to Email wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
Here's a vid I made a number of years ago professing my "love" of Dexcool.... not...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VImQZDfxAyg
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Dexcool is yet another feeble attempt to replace something thats already worked just fine for 100 years ( ethyl-glycol antifreeze). Same result...a hugely inferior product.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I used the time tested Prestone or Dupont ethylene glycol based coolant in my 3800SC and have not experienced any problems. GM states to use only Dexcool in newer engines but as long as you don't mix them, the regular coolant/anti-freeze seems to work fine. No sign of corrosion or any ill effect. Does anyone know why some engines are "Dexcool" only??? Sounds like hype to me.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
lower 3800 SC intake?
shoot me a good price! I have one I can get rid of.
Tstang429

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Click Here to Email Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
I'm the weird one I'm looking for series 3 naturally aspirated.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochClick Here to Email aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
I heard (only speculation I guess) that Dexcool was chosen to give the newer motors the 100,000 service interval. Don't know about the truth to that though.. Something about it lasting longer without silicates.
FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
Owned multiple cars with dexcool and never run into any sludge or corrosion. Even in the car that is at 96k miles on original dexcool, while it may get me some negs sounds like bad luck or operator error (lack of maintenance) to me. But this kinda thing pops up everynow and then when it comes to anything different then the norm.
jerry455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jerry455Click Here to Email jerry455Send a Private Message to jerry455Direct Link to This Post
same here, I have had good luck with dex cool. Put it into all of my older cars, so far no rpoblems.
PFF
System Bot
Tstang429

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Click Here to Email Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
yea I wasnt saying the po maintained the motor well its got 150k on it. Just sayin the old stuff you never saw holes in metal because of it.
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
True, dex-cool isn't universally bad. If the car is well maintained, other fluids are not mixed in, and it remains air tight, it can to hold up well.

I also wouldn't go and drain it all out of a new car for fear. Just keep an eye on it. When it is going bad, it gets really dark in color, and sludge will start to collect on the rad cap, in the overflow bottle, etc. The sludge is very much like chocolate pudding in color and consistency. It becomes very obvious.

It also seems to manifest as a problem in different ways depending on the engine/vehicle. Some vehicles it plugs the intake coolant jackets, and causes the engine to start to overheat. Others, I think especially Blazers, it clogs the heater core with sludge, so people fist discover it when the heater stops working.

Lack of widespread knowledge on how to handle the coolant in the early years it was in use probably led to problems too, with corner garage mechanics, oil change places, or DIYers putting regular coolant in to top off their systems not knowing that the green stuff is not compatible, and doing so will cause the sludge issues.

What makes Dexcool stand out is that other long life coolants do not act in this manner, so sensitively. The Ford/Chrysler/Mercedes long life coolant (same stuff, I think BMW also uses it, maybe others) doesn't turn to sludge or cause extra problems at nearly the frequency that dexcool does.

[This message has been edited by Fformula88 (edited 05-22-2010).]

weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakClick Here to Email weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFiend:

Owned multiple cars with dexcool and never run into any sludge or corrosion. Even in the car that is at 96k miles on original dexcool, while it may get me some negs sounds like bad luck or operator error (lack of maintenance) to me. But this kinda thing pops up everynow and then when it comes to anything different then the norm.

I've done 2 intake gasket replacements, and Dex is never going to be in another of my vehicles. It's a common problem that is not common on ethylene-glycol.

Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
It all boils down to lack of pm on cars. If you don't maintain it don't expect not to have any problems.

Dave
86gtzone

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86gtzoneClick Here to Email 86gtzoneSend a Private Message to 86gtzoneDirect Link to This Post
There are a number of lawsuits out there about Dex Cool. Mostly about not being a 100,000 mile coolant. It will turn a darker color as Fformula88 said, when it is a darker color drain it. The color change is a indication of it changing to an acid that will slowly eat away your coolant system. The biggest problem is mixing other coolant with it and not using distilled water. DexCool does not like others very well. ALWAYS USE DISTILLED WATER WITH DEXCOOL.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Dex Cool works but you have to use it properly. Air pockets, weak coolant and other factors contirbute to the issues.

No everyone has issues as many cars just have never had their systems opened and only Dex Cool added by the overflow.

I have had 5 cars with it now and never an issue.

The bottom line is Dex Cool work is used as stated but is less forgiving than Prestone.

On the other hand I could show you some real messes with Prestone too if not used properly.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Curious as to what problems you had with plain old green antifreeze. Only thing Ive EVER seen was external leaks when hoses or radiator/ heater core failed from old age..
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Click Here to Email johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Direct Link to This Post
I just bought a very nice 2001 Buick Regal. How can I tell if it has Dexcool in it. If I recall Dexcool is orange?
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Curious as to what problems you had with plain old green antifreeze. Only thing Ive EVER seen was external leaks when hoses or radiator/ heater core failed from old age..

Like Dex Cool, Prestone if used weak it can and will rust and sludge as well, I used to make a lot of money tring to unclog cooling system. While the Green could still have problems it was not as sensitive as the Red. The Red can get more acidic if used imporperly. The key to the whole thing is to use any coolant properly. If you fail to do so there are issues with anything you use.

Then you get the additives people would add to it and it could make a big mess too. Stop leak would plug heaters and Delco waterpump lube would swell the hoses.

The fact is cooling systems are under cared for and in many cases people think if they can take the cap off they know what they are doing. The Dex Cool is like many other things on cars today and takes extra car in how to use it if you plan to do any kind of service. If used properly generally there are no issues.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonClick Here to Email rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
OK, but additives like Bars Leak is not antifreeze. Ive had cars with very old regular antifreeze and never had any issues. My Mercedes had an alloy engine and I dont remember ever changing the anti freeze in 12 years. Im just one of the old school people that thinks if it aint broke dont fix it. Just guessing, but by the looks of it and the factory tags on it, even still a good virgin original radiator and heater core, my 66 Dodge had the original antifreeze in it from when it was new, 26K when I got it a few years ago. Im still using the same untouched original radiator now.....with new green antifreeze of course.
PFF
System Bot
Tstang429

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Click Here to Email Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
What do you mean when you say Prestone? Prestone is just a manufacture. Prestone makes dexcool. Ethelyn Glycol is the good old green stuff which is getting extremly hard to find. Up here I cant even find Prestone ethylene glycol only that new blend that is supposed to work with everything. Your are right that care has alot to do with things. The only reason I said I hate dexcool is with the old stuff yea you get a clog you have to clean it out. You dont maitain dexcool and you can be replacing as I just did an intake. If eats an aluminum intake whats to say it cant eat your aluminum block?
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageClick Here to Email smartaxelSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
Dexcool is absolute trash. I have all GM vehicles. 2002 Aztek has had the intake replaced 2 times due to Dex eating up the gasket material. Also have a Bonneville.. same problem Dex ate up the gaskets and left gummy sludge all inside the radiator etc. Bonneville developed a small leak, and got air into the system. After 2 intakes, I had drained, flushed, and filled with green.

There was a writeup somewhere explaining that Dex breaks down certain gasket materials, then dispurses it elsewhere. I believe I read that "sludge" could actually be re-deposited gasket material in the mix of goop. I don't have the article or I'd post it.

Think about it... Fieros never had intake leaks.. no gasket failures.. The 3.4 in the Aztek is just a majorly re-vamped version of the old 2.8. Same concept. Intake leaks all over the place.. I bet if they had green since build, they wouln't have so many gasket issues at all.
jerry455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jerry455Click Here to Email jerry455Send a Private Message to jerry455Direct Link to This Post
I have done several 3100's gaskets (they came out in '94) and the 94's used the green anti-freeze. It is a gasket problem not the coolant. The gaskets are plastic on the originals and the new gasket and the aftermarket replacements are steel. The plastic is the problem with either type of coolant.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

OK, but additives like Bars Leak is not antifreeze. Ive had cars with very old regular antifreeze and never had any issues. My Mercedes had an alloy engine and I dont remember ever changing the anti freeze in 12 years. Im just one of the old school people that thinks if it aint broke dont fix it. Just guessing, but by the looks of it and the factory tags on it, even still a good virgin original radiator and heater core, my 66 Dodge had the original antifreeze in it from when it was new, 26K when I got it a few years ago. Im still using the same untouched original radiator now.....with new green antifreeze of course.

Please read my answer carefully as it was a two part answer not one.

12 years? Some people get lucky.....

Note Dexcool and the gren stuff as you call it work fine in the mixture as recomened. Let it get weak or low they both can have issues. Rust is a primary issue if the green stuff gets low or weak.
Also with todays radiators they are not like the radiators or old and do not hold up well to eithe coolant weak.

I too agree the plastic intakes and the o ring gaskets on some of the engines have been proven issues. Often the coolent is blaimed for these issues when they are not at fault.

The bottom line is if Dexcool was this much of an issue the MFG would have improved it or changed it by now and not continue to use it. The proper use of it is important and if used properly generally there is no issues. The main issues is everyone with a set of Craftsman socket thinks he is a certified mechanic. In the past the novice could fix about anything and today things are a lot more complex than they used to be.

I see guys who have worked on cars for years screw things up because you can no do things like you used too.

With many things on these new engines it has to be right as close enough no longer works. Close enough will only increase the repair bill.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 558
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2010 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
http://www.imcool.com/

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Click Here to Email css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by smartaxel:

Think about it... Fieros never had intake leaks.. no gasket failures.. The 3.4 in the Aztek is just a majorly re-vamped version of the old 2.8. Same concept. Intake leaks all over the place.. I bet if they had green since build, they wouln't have so many gasket issues at all.

Originally posted by jerry455:

I have done several 3100's gaskets (they came out in '94) and the 94's used the green anti-freeze. It is a gasket problem not the coolant. The gaskets are plastic on the originals and the new gasket and the aftermarket replacements are steel. The plastic is the problem with either type of coolant.

Jerry is correct. The MPFI engines (2.8, 3.1) didn't have the intake-gasket problem, but the SFI 3100 and 3400 engines that followed them did. Regardless of coolant.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock