Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Where does your temperature guage hover?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Where does your temperature guage hover? by Steven_Kreg
Started on: 05-04-2010 03:32 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: unboundmo on 05-05-2010 02:33 PM
Steven_Kreg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven_KregClick Here to Email Steven_KregSend a Private Message to Steven_KregDirect Link to This Post

Stock engines only please, I'm just wondering.

Mine hovers at about the 3/4 hash mark on the guage.

Yours?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqClick Here to Email faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post
mine doesnt work lol, so its either as far down as it can go, or sits darn near dead-center
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziClick Here to Email 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
This is why i got me some new gauges
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 201
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTClick Here to Email Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Mine hovers around the first notch. It is pretty useless.

Arn
Steven_Kreg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven_KregClick Here to Email Steven_KregSend a Private Message to Steven_KregDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

Arn

Hah yours is broke too? :P

Sounds like an epedemic.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
On my 88 Duke, it sits around zero most of the time. It goes up to about 180 if I am in city traffic. I assume that the guage is bad since the thermostat is brand new.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
2 or 3 clicks below the 220 mark - V6 with the AC on in rush hour traffic in Hell Paso! I'm thinking aroun 190* to 200*
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleClick Here to Email pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
Temp gauges don't have to be accurate to be useful, as long as they provide repeatable readings. By driving the car, you'll learn how the gauge behaves.

I couldn't care less whether I'm at 85 or 90 degrees...

All I want to know is:

From a cold start, is the engine warmed up yet? Can I drive like a moron yet?

In traffic, should I flip on my radiator cooling fan switch?

In general, am I overheating?

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 05-04-2010).]

grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Click Here to Email grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven_Kreg:
Hah yours is broke too? :P

Sounds like an epedemic.

I may have spread the sickness... Mine has always been below 0 degrees...
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoClick Here to Email unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
Mine sits around 250... 3.4L p/r ---- but when I take the cap off "carefully" after a good drive the water temp is at 190... I hate these gauges.. gas is off too - legendary 1/4 tank and your empty.

I wish there was a NEW gauge that was square. I'd take it apart and reinstall it in the original spot.. Anyone know of one?
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

Arn

That's just what my gauge does.

Larry

------------------

"Life is short.
Drink the good wine first"

PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageClick Here to Email BlacktreeSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I actually checked my temp gauge against the readout from an ECM scanner, and found that the first mark (labeled "100") is actually about 160°F. The next hash mark (i.e. the 1/4 mark) is about 180°F. And the 220 mark is closer to 210°F.

That said, my engine usually runs around 180°F while the car is moving at any speed above 25-30 MPH, and can get up to around 200-210°F in stop-n-go traffic. That's with a manual transmission, a 3.4 V6, 180°F thermostat, new water pump, and new radiator.

Oh, and I also have a hood vent... forgot to mention that.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 05-04-2010).]

Fiero1K

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1KClick Here to Email Fiero1KSend a Private Message to Fiero1KDirect Link to This Post
Right exactly in between the 150 and 220 marks on the '88 base coupe guages
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroClick Here to Email LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroDirect Link to This Post
My sweeps side to side when it is warmed up. I am not sure what it will do when it overheats. Hopefully I don't have to find out
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageClick Here to Email ltlfrariSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
On both cars, 88 duke auto and 85 2.8 stick the needle never really goes over more than about 1/4 the gauge but I get plenty of heat out of the vents in winter, stock t-stats in both as well.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Bump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BumpClick Here to Email BumpSend a Private Message to BumpDirect Link to This Post
Mine would only come a line or two off cold when I got it. Thermostat was bad. Also ran too cold to get any heat from the heater.

I replaced the thermostat with dickmans 180degree and the low temp fan switch and now it runs at a nice 170-190 continuously, idle or at hwy speeds.
Steven_Kreg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven_KregClick Here to Email Steven_KregSend a Private Message to Steven_KregDirect Link to This Post

Whats the best way to get a reading of the water temp to see if the guage is accurate?

When I first got the car it would go to about the 1/4 hash mark. I thought that seemed awfully cool. Then it died. I replaced the sensor on the engine and now it goes all the way up to the 3/4 mark... I'm so confused. lol

Can I just run the car with the radiator cap off and stick a themometer in the water to see if it matches up with the guage?

Thanks

And keep the answers coming, I think we all like hearing about how many messed up guages we have lol
02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Click Here to Email 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Direct Link to This Post
Mine works fine and it's about 180-190 on the highway with a 180 thermostat. I was at a few stoplights and stop and go and it went to about 200 before I got to where I was going and shut it off.
fierodustin_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustin_86Click Here to Email fierodustin_86Send a Private Message to fierodustin_86Direct Link to This Post
Mine hovers around 220º when warm. Funny thing is no matter what the temp outside it starts out at 160º. hmm
Dougie Murder

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dougie MurderSend a Private Message to Dougie MurderDirect Link to This Post
I have a canadian gauge obviously... so it starts at 40 deg C...then ends up around the 75-80 C mark (165F-175F) after mixed driving

The car came with a 160 t-tat and low temp fan switch but i put a stock one back in after i read posts on here about poor gas mileage.. i dont think it made a difference though.
It might run a bit cooler if i replaced the coolant...but who wants that headache?!

[This message has been edited by Dougie Murder (edited 05-05-2010).]

Traveltop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TraveltopClick Here to Email TraveltopSend a Private Message to TraveltopDirect Link to This Post
I bought a new temp sensor from the FS a few weeks ago that was giving incorrect readings. When the car was 180 the gauge was just sittting in the red. FS replace it with another new sensor installed it and now I get the correct readings sitting about 170-180.
PFF
System Bot
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoClick Here to Email unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
I saw at Pepboys a thermostat cap that had a thermometer gauge reading in it... It was a 16 pound... My question is if that pound rating is good for our cars... I've heard 15 - 17.. This would fit the radiator side

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock