window/mirror polish? by CaravanBill
Started on: 02-22-2010 03:21 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: grkboy707 on 11-06-2010 09:56 PM
CaravanBill

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2010 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaravanBillSend a Private Message to CaravanBillDirect Link to This Post
The door glass, rear glass and side mirrors on my 87 SE appear to be permanently etched with what looks like dried water droplets. I am sure this is par for the course with 22 year old glass. I have a new windshield that is crystal clear.

I have read a bit about different polishes that claim to work, but I would like to the trusted advice of other Fiero owners about what product(s) worked for them, if any. In true Fiero enthusiast spirit, I am looking for a cheap solution! Thanks all.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2010 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpDirect Link to This Post
it is a hard water stain. Get some CLR or a chemical that works with getting rid of hard water spots. THere is a chemical that hawaiian island shine that works really well but havent seen anything that you could find at like autozone or kragen.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2010 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I get a lot of that on T top cars. I use 000 steelwool and windex as a lubricant. Seen this same method Ive used for years on Classic Car the other day.
CaravanBill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2010 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaravanBillSend a Private Message to CaravanBillDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to both of you for your replies. Roger, your steel wool method wins the "cheap solution" award! I will try it out tonight!
CaravanBill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2010 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CaravanBillSend a Private Message to CaravanBillDirect Link to This Post
Revisiting this topic...

As suggested I tried CLR, Windex and steel wool to no avail. However this technique did work great on my side view mirrors. But for the door glass, still a lot of what appears to be permanent etching.

Anyone else have any ideas?
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2010 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
I personally have used an electric buffer on my glass with fantastic results. Just use a high speed car buffer, with a finishing polish.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2010 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

I personally have used an electric buffer on my glass with fantastic results. Just use a high speed car buffer, with a finishing polish.

When you did that, did it then create stars? Like when headlites are aimed at you did it make them look like stars?

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2010 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
No, I didn't get any sunburst effects, at least that I ever noticed. I have always done this on any of my cars when I polish them. Just make sure to use a polishing compound, and not an abrasive rubbing compound.
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2010 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
I had similar things on my paint and I used "Meguires Paint Cleaner and Wax". I dont know if it would work on windows, but its a must for your detailing kit anyway

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock