Finally The Dizzy Build Thread by Dizzixx
Started on: 06-15-2009 12:00 AM
Replies: 17
Last post by: donnie072003 on 10-16-2010 05:28 PM
Dizzixx

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2009 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
After over a year I finally have a working 4.9 swapped fiero. I had waited up to this point to start this thread not wanting to clutter the boards more than I allready do.

I started with an 87' GT 2.8 Auto, and converted it to a 4.9 Muncie 4spd(2nd gen case).

Things I have done:
-Vette rotor w/ 88 fiero calipers from fieroaddiction
-Aluminum cradle bushings from RD
-Poly motor mounts from RD
-Full poly bushings kit front/back, upper lower. Fiero store.
-Russel stainless steel brake lines. Summit
-Spec stage 4 springless clutch
-New hard brakelines. Fierostore.
-Delta Cam
-Flywheel by LSC performance
-Stripped down front end, cleaned painted.
-New balljoints all around
-New tie rods all around
-Rebuilt steering rack
-17'' Rims with new tires. The rims were a cheap find on craigslist. I paid $30 for 5 of them, they are ugly but they work for now.
-decklid shock replacing the torsion bar from RD
-custom exhaust done locally by a shop, dual in dual out magnaflow.

Things that need to be done soon:
-New windshield
-Fix the ebrake, I think the pistons are in backwards, the ebrake works backwards.
-Fix a leak on the thermostat housing
-Find whats draining my battery
-Get speedo to work
-Adjust ISC and TPS to work in perfect harmony and idle the car. Right now the ISC is disconnected and working as a stop.
-Install the front and rear qaurter panels that have vents, duct vents to brakes and air intake.

Things I would like to get around to at some point:
-Get new taillight lense for drivers side. I cracked the one that was in perfect condition before.
-Allante steel bridge from the 4.5
-Allante intake
-Nice rims
-New suspension springs and shocks. Lowering springs 2 or 3'' in back and 1 or 2'' in front.
-Install the stereo

Next up pics...

[This message has been edited by Dizzixx (edited 06-15-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2009 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Bout time !! You know I will be PMing you when I decide to do a 4.9 !!

So where are the pics ??

Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2009 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
The car when I bought it

Gotta love the exhaust

Getting the 4.9

The trans as I got it from the previous owner

The workspace I was using

Managed to drop the load balancer on things in the first few days

Breaking the stud off and getting it stuck at the same time

Removing the 2.8

Cracking the tail light at the same time

Doing the front end

Taking care of the cooling tubes. I had to remove them to have the plug holes re threaded.

Doing the steering rack while I am at it, And the brake calipers

Reinstalling

Wiring the hard way

The pulleys. This picture is sideways I will fix it but for now turn your heads.

The firewall insulation, oil cooler lines and radiator hoses.

Oil cooler with bracket

Modifying alternator bracket

Starting to get in the flow of things as far as wires go

Placing the battery

The exhaust

Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2009 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post

Dizzixx

1467 posts
Member since Oct 2005
I have some more pictures but they are stuck on the camera until I can find the mini usb cable. These are the ones off of the memory card. There are actually more on the photobucket but these are the ones that seemed half decent.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2009 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Dizz ya supposed to put new pics and info every few days.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 06-18-2009).]

Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2009 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I know I know. Part of it is not having the cable for the camera.

Update then: I cooked the fuel pump connector. I actually replaced it with a junkyard one because the previous owner had fried the first one. The one from the junkyard looked brand new. I say looked because I managed to cook the two halves together and then further cook it until it no longer worked. This all happened after cooking the conduit type heat shielding that I have on the wiring harness off, by a miracle not a single wire was harmed. I reshielded that and then got some ambient heat shielding that is supposed to be good for 2000 deg it seems to be working. I also shifted where the engine harness runs and that is what allowed the fuel pump connector to come to rest more or less on the front manifold. Then I thought it was just burning off the original remaining plastic. Smooth I know.

Projects this weekend include but are not limited too:
-Fixing the fuel pump connector so that it is usable.
-Adding a heat shield on the firewall to protect hoses and wires
-Getting the speedo to work
-Finding the battery drain
-Finishing the ALDL
-Doing the Idle learn
-Fix small coolant leaks
-Flush coolant system, current mixture is too diluted this happened after I spilt the first bunch of antifreeze on the garage floor
-Pass emissions

In all likelihood only a few of those will actually get done but thats whats on my plate
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2009 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Is that the Caddie AC compressor, or the one from the Fiero that you adapted to the 4.9? If you used the Caddie compressor, did you have to mod the Fiero AC hose to get it to fit the Caddie compressor?
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2009 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Its a caddy compressor. When I looked at parts interchange lists, there are two different ones listed for the caddy models with 4.9s. There is the o-ring seal or flat washer seal. I am fairly certain that the fiero is the O ring type, and that these are more prevalant amoung junkyard cars(actually all I found), granted I was allmost exsclusively looking at the 92/93 cars. The hoses bolted right up. The problem I had was positioning the hoses, and the wiring harness for the caddy I got had a different type of connector for the compressor, so I got another one from the junkyard.

On positioning the hoses I had to bend the ends that mate with the compressor some to put them far enough away from the exhaust as well as enough clearance to access the engine mount without having to monkey with everything. I also wrapped them in firewall insulation and then put that behind a heat shield. At first when I had just the manifolds on the heat almost melted all the way through the rubber insulation on one so I was a little gung ho about protecting them after that.
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2009 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
I completely failed to accomplish anything this weekend. My moms birthday is coming up and she was out of town this weekend so I have been working on her house in the hopes of surprising her. I will get things done though.... eventually......
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2009 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Dizz, can you tell me how far it is from the front valve cover to the firewall. I want to make me a mock-up so I can get some more of this wiring out of the way. I can see how far it sets left to right, but not the closeness front to rear from posted pictures of members.
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2009 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
I will have to measure. At work atm. I will try to tonight if I can, if not then definitely tomorrow.
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2009 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Dizz, I am still waiting for that measurement. I am planning on going to Florida Tuesday to get my 88 for my swap. I want to have this pretty well lined out before I raise it into the body.
Joe
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Hey man sorry I totally spaced on that one. I felt bad about it so during my lunch here at work I went to the car and measured it. Its tighter than I thought it would be. From the forward most edge of the front valve cover it is 3.5'' to the firewall. Thats with new insulation that is a little thicker than the original stuff. To be sure you dont have problems with your harness being short I would go 4'' from leading edge of the front valve cover to firewall but thats just my .02.

Hope that helps. If you have more questions ask and hopefully I will be more on the ball this time.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2009 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I just found your posting of 4" Thanks fo getting it for me. I brought my 88 to Texas from Florida last week, and plan on settting the 4.9 on the cradle one day next week for a test fit, and FI wiring harness work.
Joe
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2009 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Good hope it helps. Things have just been crazy for me. Havn't even got to touch my car for more than two weeks now
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2010 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Thought I would post this here as well. The wiring diagrams I made for this.

http://depositfiles.com/files/zymub91vy

Virtually all the information in here came from here:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/098096.html

And from other forum members and threads. All credit is due where its due and that jazz.

[This message has been edited by Dizzixx (edited 08-27-2010).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2010 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
bump to save in favorites
donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2010 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
Dizzi, when you get your new wheels let me know I'll give ya $50 for that set! Why don't I ever run across deals like that??

------------------

Getting closer every day!

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/080998.html

Donnie

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock