Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Got air ride on the Fiero (Pics and Video) (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Got air ride on the Fiero (Pics and Video) by greengoblin0129
Started on: 06-28-2006 11:05 PM
Replies: 43
Last post by: greengoblin0129 on 09-22-2006 02:13 PM
greengoblin0129

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2006 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post
Finally done with my air ride project, just finished up 20mins ago! Running 200PSI, 3/8 line, (2) 200PSI/100% compressors, Slam bags, and a 5 gal tank all mounted under the hood. Right now I only have it on the front with 4 valves so i'll be able to do "side 2 side". Planning on bagging the back later, i'm broke now Heres some pics, sry just took the pics around 10pmand has been raining all day.

-and a Video. Took this when it was running under 100PSI. I got it to hop around 150PSI...afraid to see what it would do at 200PSI.
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e89/greengoblin0129/?action=view¤t=MVI_0435A VI.flv
Sorry, thats all the pics I have at the moment. Won't post pics of the bags or the inside of the hood till after the Fieros at Auburn show. Hopeing to finish up the car tomorrow night, still a TON of work to be done to be able to drive it to the show. Not 100% sure if the car will be ready are not. All comments welcome, good or bad.

~Ryan

EDIT: another video, better one:

------------------
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2215614/3
My build thread:
[URL=https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/059538.html [/URL]

[This message has been edited by greengoblin0129 (edited 06-29-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROPHREK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2006 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
Cool !

edit to add : What did you do with the inner wheel well ? Did you just remove it all together or mod it?

------------------
HARDCORE SBC CRONIE AND PROUD OF IT ! GOT TQ ?

[This message has been edited by FIEROPHREK (edited 06-28-2006).]

greengoblin0129

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2006 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROPHREK:

Cool !

edit to add : What did you do with the inner wheel well ? Did you just remove it all together or mod it?

Its stock, havn't mest with them. When the car lays out it sits about 1/2 off the ground. The inner wheel wells is the only thing keeping the car from sitting on the ground. They are laying on the tires. Planning on just getting new rims with thin wall tires so it will be able to lay flat on the ground.

Thanks, Ryan
agrabo85fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2006 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for agrabo85fieroSend a Private Message to agrabo85fieroDirect Link to This Post
a solution to bad headlight motors air rams! (easy to ad you have all the compressers ect)
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2006 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Goblin,
Please don't take this as a flame cause it isn't intended that way. I'm curious what this airbag conversion does for you besides let you lay the car on the ground? I've seen some shows that demonstrate better handling, better ride quality, etc..... Are these benefits of this install?

------------------
Ron
Freedom isn't Free, it's paid for with the blood and dreams of those that have gone before us.
My imagination is the only limiting factor to my Fiero. Well, there is that money issue.

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2006 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
that is sweet!!!

what parts did you used and where did you get them?

madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2006 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good. Please post some daylight pics!!!

------------------

"Anyone can make a copy of something, it may look good but it ever is the real car, make something from your imagination, something unique, something nobody has, anything is possible and, ideas can be a reality."

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2006 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
Oh, now THAT is awesome
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2006 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
eh.. do it with a 88 and I'll REALLY be impressed.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2006 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Now... could you raise it also.. say 1-2 inches above normal fiero height? Just curious.
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2006 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Freakin' AWESOME! That's the greatest thing I've seen in a long time! You're gonna get a lot of people here asking you to put it on their car.
PFF
System Bot
greengoblin0129

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2006 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Goblin,
Please don't take this as a flame cause it isn't intended that way. I'm curious what this airbag conversion does for you besides let you lay the car on the ground? I've seen some shows that demonstrate better handling, better ride quality, etc..... Are these benefits of this install?

It does ride a ton better then stock, even with no shocks yet. I am planning on installing shocks after the show, just time is a factor right now. I like the look of the car lowerd all the way at shows, and its just cool I did lose the sway bar as well so i'm able to do "side 2 side", but that will not affect the ride at all because i'm running 4 valves instead of 2. If I ran 2 the air would shift into the other bag as I was turning.

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

that is sweet!!!

what parts did you used and where did you get them?

You can buy all the fittings, valves, tank, compressors and stuff off suicidedoors.com As for the bags and mounts, I had a buddy weld it up for me that knows more about how it all works. He took S10 cups and cut them up for the metal he used. He designed it so the bags will not rub in the least, and reinfoced the subframe. He's in the middle of doing the worlds first body drop blazer which will be in many magazines coming up.

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

Freakin' AWESOME! That's the greatest thing I've seen in a long time! You're gonna get a lot of people here asking you to put it on their car.

I talked to the guy and he would be willing to do this to other Fieros. You can't really make it into a kit because the way the sub frame is made, no way to get a bag in there with out it rubbing...unless you extend the control arms. If anyone wants it done LMK, he doesn't charge to much to put it together and does very good work. I'll figure out a ball park price of what it would cost to do the whole front end.

Thanks for your comments, Ryan

[This message has been edited by greengoblin0129 (edited 06-29-2006).]

greengoblin0129

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2006 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post

greengoblin0129

2670 posts
Member since Mar 2005

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Now... could you raise it also.. say 1-2 inches above normal fiero height? Just curious.

Yea, thats about right 1-2 inches above ride height. I could have more but I made it so I would also be able to lay out. I have 8 inches of movement to work with.
greengoblin0129

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2006 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post

greengoblin0129

2670 posts
Member since Mar 2005
Day time pics!!!
Laying out:

Sitting side ways:

30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2006 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
How far (horizontally) and how fast have you driven it since completeing the front end?
shawnkfl

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2006 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflDirect Link to This Post
nice job! more pics please!

[This message has been edited by shawnkfl (edited 06-29-2006).]

greengoblin0129

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2006 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by shawnkfl:

nice job! more pics please!

sorry, not till after the Auburn Show...the set up is still a secret Looks like it will be ready for the show now...still won't have time to put my quarter window scoops on and other stuff but at least i'll be able to drive it there now.

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

How far (horizontally) and how fast have you driven it since completeing the front end?

Can't drive it with it laying out because the tires will rub to bad. I've only driven it around my neighborhood so far because some engine problems i'm still working on at the moment. I had it up to 35 and took some coners pretty hard, no problem so far. Still have to test it on the high way.

Thanks, Ryan
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2006 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by greengoblin0129:

sorry, not till after the Auburn Show...the set up is still a secret

Thanks, Ryan

Will you car be "sportin" some rims at the show? Although your's isn't the first...it sure looks good. Is it similar to Joe Torma's or Alex's "Plasma"?

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 06-29-2006).]

greengoblin0129

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2006 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:
Will you car be "sportin" some rims at the show? Although your's isn't the first...it sure looks good. Is it similar to Joe Torma's or Alex's "Plasma"?

I've never seen their set up, and wasn't aware thoes cars also had air ride lol. Won't have time to put rims on, don't even have time to put my quarter window scoops on in time for the show. I'm leaving to head up there after I get out of college tomorrow around 3pm, if anyone wants to cruise up there? Do you have any more pics of their set up??? I'll be posting a video here in a min after it uploads, got it to hop a little. Still trying to figure out the switches lol
greengoblin0129

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2006 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post

greengoblin0129

2670 posts
Member since Mar 2005
Heres the video, enjoy

greengoblin0129

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2006 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post

greengoblin0129

2670 posts
Member since Mar 2005
ERRRR, alternator went out
PFF
System Bot
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2006 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
That's way cool! (I know the saying is dated.

I laughed just like the guys in video at the same time when you made it hop!

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2006 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Very cool!
Your setup is similar to mine, btw. Are those fast bags? I'm afraid I'm not set up for hopping( though your vid makes me want to). Shock are going to slow that down a lot aren't they?!

If you missed my thread... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/059185.html

Nice job!
greengoblin0129

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2006 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joe Torma:

Very cool!
Your setup is similar to mine, btw. Are those fast bags? I'm afraid I'm not set up for hopping( though your vid makes me want to). Shock are going to slow that down a lot aren't they?!

If you missed my thread... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/059185.html

Nice job!

The bags are made my Slam. They are pretty small bags, used thoes because they can take a ton of abuse and does not swell when aired up. Also not as much cutting on the subframe. I'm not going to run shocks now, rode GREAT on the highway and theres not that much weight on the nose. I don't know how I missed your thread lol, but your set-up is really clean. Won 3 awards with the car today at the Auburn show I'll be posting more pics once I get them uploaded.

Thanks, Ryan
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on the tropies!

No shocks eh?! Do you have a sway bar(probably not since you have side to side)? I need to make mounts for that. Nice to hear it rides great without shocks!

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 07-02-2006).]

Unsafe At Any Speed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 315
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Unsafe At Any SpeedSend a Private Message to Unsafe At Any SpeedDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested in this. I don't want to be able to go side to side or hop or anything. Moreso just to be able to have a lowered stance except when I need to get into a parking lot or something. More info?

------------------

1986 Fiero SE Fastback

interceptor429

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for interceptor429Send a Private Message to interceptor429Direct Link to This Post
thats nice ,i like ,( what fell off under the car about 4-5 sec into the video? ),hope nothing major,but thats a good job, later
greengoblin0129

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by interceptor429:

thats nice ,i like ,( what fell off under the car about 4-5 sec into the video? ),hope nothing major,but thats a good job, later

lol, my hood emblem and a socket that I lost while working on it fell off. Got the emblem on better now, and found my lost socket

Originally posted by Unsafe At Any Speed:

I'm interested in this. I don't want to be able to go side to side or hop or anything. Moreso just to be able to have a lowered stance except when I need to get into a parking lot or something. More info?

You wouldn't have to run that much PSI in that case. I'm running 175PSI right now, can handle up to 200PSI. Also ran slam bags so I can abuse it, and not worry about anything breaking. For what you are wanting to do, I would run sleeve bags. It would be a lot easier and less costly to do. They do sell a sleeve bag kit for kit car fieros online, but it cost like 3K plus not including everything you need to run it. The guy that did mine does great work, and he is wanting to start doing this on other Fieros. He'll engineer it so they won't rub or break during use. Also make them so you get the most travel with it. I'll PM you his phone # if you would like to talk to him and he'll let you know the best type of bags to get, he knows more about the bags and how to put them in then I do. Also to see how much he would charge to do sleeve bags. I have a extra sub frame here he can do it to, so when it's done all you have to do is swap out the sub frames so you don't have so much down time on the car is you would like.
LMK!

Thanks, Ryan
greengoblin0129

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post

greengoblin0129

2670 posts
Member since Mar 2005

Originally posted by Joe Torma:

Congrats on the tropies!

No shocks eh?! Do you have a sway bar(probably not since you have side to side)? I need to make mounts for that. Nice to hear it rides great without shocks!

Thanks! Yea, I went ahead and lost the sway bar so I can do side to side. The reason I went ahead and made it so I could do side to side was because I was worried about air shifting to the other side when I turn and the car scrapping on one side. With the 4 valves it keeps the air seperate from each side. But with the sway bar on it would only shift proably 2 inches max which isn't that big of deal...just have to worry about the tension on the swap bar when it does do that.
Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post
looking good you could pick up that can of pepsi am sure while driving ..nice work
greengoblin0129

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post
More pics:

Took it on a cruise last night, couple little car shows, and downtown. Everyone kept asking me if I had any Fieros for sale after that lol. Hell, one guy asked me if he could find a Fiero for sale under 5K hahaha If anyone has a Fiero for sale around Indy, LMK! Even my diehard Honda buddy now wants a Fiero, thats pretty bad lol.
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
The current tank you have now, is it capable of suppling enough air for the rears if you decide to bag it too?
greengoblin0129

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

The current tank you have now, is it capable of suppling enough air for the rears if you decide to bag it too?

Yea it would, I can go up and down 3 times before my compressors kick on. I'm not sure what PSI they kick on at, but the tank would be fine because i'm running 2 compressors and it airs up quicky. I am thinking about adding another bigger tank in the trunk and hinding it because I like to mess with the switches a lot
greengoblin0129

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post

greengoblin0129

2670 posts
Member since Mar 2005
One problem with my set up i've notice is that the compressors get very hot due to not having air circulation. They do have a auto shut off if they overheat but it hasn't got to that point yet. I'm sure if I run it long enough they will. Thinking about cutting out 2 small holes in the plastic peice that holds the spare tire and put two small computer like fans in it so it moves air.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2006 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by greengoblin0129:

The bags are made my Slam.
Thanks, Ryan

They are appropriately named... They are way cool!

That's one way to keep your chin spoiler off the ground. I want that on my next car.

greengoblin0129

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

They are appropriately named... They are way cool!

That's one way to keep your chin spoiler off the ground. I want that on my next car.

lol, does help the chin spoiler from getting messed up
Heres a pic of the slam bags:

------------------
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2215614/3
My build thread:
[URL=https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/059538.html [/URL]

greengoblin0129

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post
Here's pics of the setup:

[This message has been edited by greengoblin0129 (edited 08-07-2006).]

kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Nice
I've been wanting to do this for a while, it's on the list of "things to do once I have $$". A quick question: are they adjustable in increments at all, or is it just slammed/lifted with no in between?
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
so flippin awesome.
greengoblin0129

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greengoblin0129Click Here to visit greengoblin0129's HomePageSend a Private Message to greengoblin0129Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by kwagner:

Nice
I've been wanting to do this for a while, it's on the list of "things to do once I have $$". A quick question: are they adjustable in increments at all, or is it just slammed/lifted with no in between?

You can adjust the level of the ride by flicking the swich. If I ride with it up all the way it rides very bouncy, so I flick the switch about 2 times and ride about a inch under stock ride height for comfortable ride when i'm cruising. Once you get use to it you'll know how low you are just by how hard/long you flick the switch. If you hold down the switch then it will just drop very hard and its probley not the best thing to do on any car.

Thanks, Ryan
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock