Started on: 10-14-2004 02:22 PM
Replies: 33
Last post by: ryan.hess on 11-26-2004 10:01 PM
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Finally! I'm as excited as a kid on christmas! Took 2 weeks to get here, and here it is:

Theres a looooot of components...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Whats a WBO2 kit ?
Kohburn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
might i recommend silver circuitry epoxy instead of hot solder?

all those chips.. so easy to over heat one

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

Whats a WBO2 kit ?

Wideband Oxygen sensor... kit. The chips have sockets, so no worry about overheating them.

cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
any idea if it will work with the holley 950 commander? if so, can i borrow it?
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Could you share where you got it and price? I have seen some of the shelve ready to run but for $350 is a lot of $$

------------------
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

any idea if it will work with the holley 950 commander? if so, can i borrow it?

It sure does... I paid $145 (I think that's what it was) for the kit, and $40 for the o2 sensor itself.

http://wbo2.com/2a0/2a0info.htm

It's all soldered up now, just getting the cables sorted out.

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
What sort of display does it use, and since your 'building' it, can you switch over to a different kind of display? (About to follow llink)
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
If you would have gone to the Tech session, I would have showed you my WBO² but no.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

What sort of display does it use, and since your 'building' it, can you switch over to a different kind of display? (About to follow llink)

The one I have doesn't have a display. Rather, it just outputs the WBO2 linear voltage, and also has a output to PC datalogger function. In case you don't have a laptop, it also can record it's own data along with RPM and a couple other inputs... I won't be using this part though, I just need the linear output. The LED display kit was an added option.

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

The one I have doesn't have a display. Rather, it just outputs the WBO2 linear voltage, and also has a output to PC datalogger function. In case you don't have a laptop, it also can record it's own data along with RPM and a couple other inputs... I won't be using this part though, I just need the linear output. The LED display kit was an added option.

so, would the linear voltage be an an artificial analog signal to the holley?

EDIT: Ryan, let us know how it works! if you like it, I am gonna get one. it looks like it will make tunning sooooo much easier...

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 10-15-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
most cases 10:1 is 0V and 20:1 is 5V in a linear fashon. Or maybe it was the other way around...

[This message has been edited by Fierobsessed (edited 10-14-2004).]

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

so, would the linear voltage be an an artificial analog signal to the holley?

EDIT: Ryan, let us know how it works! if you like it, I am gonna get one. it looks like it will make tunning sooooo much easier...

The holley is already set up for either narrow or wide band o2 sensors. You just plug whatever model you have in, and say "at this voltage, is this a/f ratio".

And yes, I tried narrowband tuning. It wouldn't cut it at all. I still don't know wtf was wrong with that stupid thing. Anywho, now I can tune for max power, and see precisely what is going on at idle/etc.

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post10-15-2004 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

It sure does... I paid $145 (I think that's what it was) for the kit, and $40 for the o2 sensor itself.

http://wbo2.com/2a0/2a0info.htm

It's all soldered up now, just getting the cables sorted out.

Where did you get the WB O2 sensor itself? I didn't think that any sold for under $200.

JazzMan

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Where did you get the WB O2 sensor itself? I didn't think that any sold for under $200.

JazzMan

Mentioned in the site:

www.1stvwparts.com

VW part# 021-906-262-B

VW1.8T and 2.8L VR6 Golf, Jetta and Turbo Beetle, VW part # 021-906-262-B, (AWW & AFP motors only) Bosch US part # 17014

aka the LSU-4 sensor, which is commonly part of the WB units sold on ebay and what not for >$250.

oh, BTW - in case anybody gets any bright ideas... you NEED the controller kit. You can't just "wire up" the o2 sensor like a single wire narrow band. The heater inside it needs to be precisely controlled, and there are various currents that need to be precisely monitored/controlled. Hence the 5 wires

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 10-15-2004).]

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
when do you think you'll get to try it?
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Today hopefully! I still have to wrap electrical tape around my homemade shielded cable (radiocrap didn't have anything, and neither did homedepot or menards)... Then I get to calibrate it for free air... Then I'll plug it in and see what's going on with my idle a/f ratio

<cough>assuming I didn't screw it up</cough>

[This message has been edited by ryan.hess (edited 10-15-2004).]

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Welp... Got it calibrated and installed... Seems to work just fine. Took me all day yesterday to figure out why it wasn't working though... Turns out I installed a 100k resistor in place of a 100 ohm resistor, and it was causing it to output erroneous data, and generally not work well. So it turns out I have been running a bit rich all across the board... Fixed a lot of problems... Now it revs smoothly without stalling, and generally runs better. Just need to finish tuning (in the 26* windchills.... <shudder> )

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

Welp... Got it calibrated and installed... Seems to work just fine. Took me all day yesterday to figure out why it wasn't working though... Turns out I installed a 100k resistor in place of a 100 ohm resistor, and it was causing it to output erroneous data, and generally not work well. So it turns out I have been running a bit rich all across the board... Fixed a lot of problems... Now it revs smoothly without stalling, and generally runs better. Just need to finish tuning (in the 26* windchills.... <shudder> )

sounds good! (well, except for the freezing temps!!!)

can you post what equipment it takes to calibrate the WBO2? when your finished calibrating do you wind up with a voltage/AF table?

and congrats on getting it going, sounds like it'll be loads of fun to drive!

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

sounds good! (well, except for the freezing temps!!!)

can you post what equipment it takes to calibrate the WBO2? when your finished calibrating do you wind up with a voltage/AF table?

and congrats on getting it going, sounds like it'll be loads of fun to drive!

No equipment... Just download the software, and calibrate it for open air. Yes, it follows the a/f graph above once calibrated.

watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
Bummer - I was just about to order one, when I read the line they say about it not working well with a turbo engine.

From there site:
"The sensor reads the partial pressure of gases in the exhaust and infers the AFR, rather than by measuring some magical AFR directly. This may be an issue on forced induction, and in particular, on turbo-charged engines.

AFRs will indicate richer than they are, causing you to run leaner than you think.
Lean AFR's will be richer (or less lean) than indicted.

A solution is to ensure you locate your sensor away from the turbo, and certainly on the exhaust (low pressure) side of the turbo rather than the engine side. "

Thoughts? I was thinking that this would be THE answer to develop my fuel map.... maybe not???

PFF
System Bot
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Whats wrong with having it after the turbo? have you yet to see one factory turbocharged engine with the O² before the turbo? I haven't. You shouldn't have a problem with it. Basically, they are just telling you that ALL O²'s dont deal well with high exhaust pressures.
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2004 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
my old 86 turbo toyota had the O2 sensor on the elbow that was bolted to the exhaust exit side of the turbo.
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2004 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
Does this work with the car's ECM?
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-17-2004 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SCCA FIERO:

Does this work with the car's ECM?

No. The ECM is designed for the narrow band O2 sensor, that type of sensor actually operates more like a lean/rich sensor. There is no way to modify or adapt the Fiero ECM to use a wide band sensor.

JazzMan

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2004 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
The kit I have has a simulated narrow band output. So you can use it with any "regular" ECM.
SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2004 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
If it won't work or (I assume you don't have it hooked to the ECM) isn't hooked to the ECM, how did it make your car run better?
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2004 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

If it won't work or (I assume you don't have it hooked to the ECM) isn't hooked to the ECM, how did it make your car run better?

It currently is hooked up to my ECM, and I have now for the most part tuned the fuel tables, which is the reason I bought it. Now I have a baseline to be 100% certain I don't burn up the engine at WOT, or dump too much fuel in, causing less power or other problems.

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2004 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

It currently is hooked up to my ECM, and I have now for the most part tuned the fuel tables, which is the reason I bought it. Now I have a baseline to be 100% certain I don't burn up the engine at WOT, or dump too much fuel in, causing less power or other problems.

I should go look up your thread but i am feeling lazy...

are you using a holley or the stock ecm? if it is the stock ecm what are you using for a a/f display from your WBo2? thanks

edit: read the posts above again and i see you don't use a display. are you using the data logger and then adjusting the fuel tables from that?

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 10-17-2004).]

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2004 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

I should go look up your thread but i am feeling lazy...

are you using a holley or the stock ecm? if it is the stock ecm what are you using for a a/f display from your WBo2? thanks

edit: read the posts above again and i see you don't use a display. are you using the data logger and then adjusting the fuel tables from that?

Holley. It displays the o2 voltage on screen, so I just make a run with the onboard holley datalogger, and adjust from there. Lacking that, you could always just hook up a multimeter, and make sure you don't see above 2 volts at WOT... which is 13:1 I think.

SCCA FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post

I think I need one of these. Any reason it wouldn't work with a 2 bar MAP?

PFF
System Bot
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

I think I need one of these. Any reason it wouldn't work with a 2 bar MAP?

I can't think of any relationship. if you have the o2 sensor down stream from the turbo or in the normal location if your supercharged it should work.

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-26-2004 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
So, how are you liking your WBO2 so far? Still working fine, I presume?

JazzMan

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2004 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:
So, how are you liking your WBO2 so far? Still working fine, I presume?

JazzMan

Works great, I love it. I'm seriously considering hardwiring it in.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock