Pennock's Fiero Forum
  FAQs & HowTos
  Fuel Pump Replacement How-To (56K beware) (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fuel Pump Replacement How-To (56K beware) by Brocephus
Started on: 12-02-2008 11:59 PM
Replies: 50 (14247 views)
Last post by: richard in nc on 07-09-2023 08:41 AM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2016 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This classic thread from a few years back absolutely deserves to be moved to FAQs & HowTos
I'll bring it to Cliff's attention.

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

FAQs & HowTos (or F&H in short) is a section where I will move, ehm, FAQs and HowTos to.

If you have a suggestion for a thread to move here, please post them in the "Suggestions" thread.

IP: Logged
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pulled the tank on my 87 today to do this project.

1. THANK YOU. Extremely helpful, especially the pictures.
2. Before you start go get a siphon pump thing. It's six dollars, and the auto parts store is so close to you that the taste of gas in your mouth from twice trying to start a siphon the way your grandfather did will still be in your mouth when you get home. And hours later. Even the ten chocolate chip cookies I ate didn't erase it.
3. On my car, two of the rubber lines go under the car to metal tubes. One to the fuel filter, the other is the return, I presume. The third goes into what looks like wire loom and follows the wiring harness through the frame firewall. I presume this is the charcoal canister. This rubber hose was on top and was a BUGGER to get off the tank. Just getting to the clamp was difficult and then I had to tip the front end of the tank way down and work on prying the hose off from the top. Even then it was a PITA.
4. My fuel pump doesn't have a short rubber hose attaching it to the metal tube. It has some other intermediary widget thing (no clue what it does) that sits between the metal tube and the top of the fuel pump and attaches to both.
5. The electrical connections on the Bosch fuel pump I got doesn't match the connector on the wiring. It came with a sort of converter cable. I'm not fond of this as more connections makes for more possibilities of sparking.
6. I don't think the OP mentions it, but you'll need to remove the support brackets from the coolant lines that run adjacent to the tank so you can swing them out of the way to drop the tank. Maybe this is obvious, but still seems worth mentioning.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

2. Before you start go get a siphon pump thing. It's six dollars, and the auto parts store is so close to you that the taste of gas in your mouth from twice trying to start a siphon the way your grandfather did will still be in your mouth when you get home. And hours later. Even the ten chocolate chip cookies I ate didn't erase it.
3. On my car, two of the rubber lines go under the car to metal tubes. One to the fuel filter, the other is the return, I presume. The third goes into what looks like wire loom and follows the wiring harness through the frame firewall. I presume this is the charcoal canister. This rubber hose was on top and was a BUGGER to get off the tank. Just getting to the clamp was difficult and then I had to tip the front end of the tank way down and work on prying the hose off from the top. Even then it was a PITA.
4. My fuel pump doesn't have a short rubber hose attaching it to the metal tube. It has some other intermediary widget thing (no clue what it does) that sits between the metal tube and the top of the fuel pump and attaches to both.

Last time I had to do this job, the tank was completely full. I have one of those Motive Products bleeder bottles; its like a plastic bottle with a pump handle to pressurize it. I used it to pressurize my tank and it let me siphon the vast majority of the gas out. Over eight gallons, at least. Worked like a charm.

Yeah, that uppermost line goes to the Evap canister. The OP's is a little different which is probably a 4-cyl. vs. V6 issue or maybe early models vs. late. Its hard to get the hose off of it when its hidden way up there on top.... Its hard enough to even SEE it! Worst part of the job in my opinion.

The plastic widget thing is the Pulasator. I re-installed mine but some people here have removed it and used hose in its place. I figured its there for a reason so I would keep it.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2017 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:
The plastic widget thing is the Pulasator. I re-installed mine but some people here have removed it and used hose in its place. I figured its there for a reason so I would keep it.

The pulsator is only needed when you use a Gyrator style of pump. It supposed to reduce pump noise. If you use a turbine pump like the Bosch the pressure is not in pulses so it is not needed.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2017 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am about to drop 2 tanks to replace the fuel pumps. Thanks, Great write up still so many years after.

Much appreciated!!!
1984_barn_find

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2017 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984_barn_findSend a Private Message to 1984_barn_findEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sooooo I need help..I have an original 1984 se and it had the original fuel pump... the replacement came with an entirely different connection (in fact I don't know how to take apart original.) so what do I do?
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2017 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1984_barn_find:

Sooooo I need help..I have an original 1984 se and it had the original fuel pump... the replacement came with an entirely different connection (in fact I don't know how to take apart original.) so what do I do?

Are you talking about the pump itself, or did you buy a new sending unit from the Fiero Store?

NiotaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2017 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiotaFieroSend a Private Message to NiotaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sure wish there was a way for the pictures to show.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2020 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NiotaFiero:

I sure wish there was a way for the pictures to show.

There is.

Anyone who can't see the images in this thread needs to install the Photobucket Fix.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2021 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sounds like most of you didn't have any trouble with the hoses to the hard lines. imo that is BY FAR the hardest part of this job, n this is my second time doing it.
jon

N you can see the original date of my post, and today is March 3 and i still haven't gotten the hoses on the hard lines.

3 1/2 hours later i finally got the hoses on the fuel lines. The Fiero Store hoses are nice and soft, unlike my 37 year old hoses that i took off, BUT they are too short, especially the fill vent line, which should be AT LEAST 1/2 inch longer and 3/4 inch longer would be better. The big fill line could stand to be 1/2 inch longer too. i emailed the Fiero Store and told them that their hoses are too short and don't look like the picture - which shows the vent line as being longer than the fill line.
------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

[This message has been edited by longjonsilver (edited 03-03-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
richard in nc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2023 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for richard in ncSend a Private Message to richard in ncEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
why isn't there a like button on this forum?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock