Started on: 04-13-2010 05:59 PM
Replies: 20 (6604 views)
Last post by: Oregon88 on 03-16-2016 11:38 AM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled together this information prompted by this thread:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/107934.html

Thanks to those who's pictures I've borrowed to illustrate things in this thread.

People are still finding a disconnected pipe or hose of the firewall below the rear window.
Sometimes it's a hose, or has a metal elbow, or just a tube on the firewall.

This originally ran from the valve cover to the air cleaner (to bottom of intake tube on some).

It seems half the recalls were done by guys too lazy to remove the hose and cap the ends of the tube (or plug hole in air cleaner housing), so they just left it hanging to suck dirty engine bay air into the air filter housing - bypassing the air filter.

This change was part of the recall kit.

A new metal tube was installed that ran from the valve cover to a NEW rubber intake tube. The tube on the firewall is no longer used.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-09-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found these pages from the Technical Service Bulletin for the recall
http://www.fieronews.net/fu...alls/fierorecal2.pdf

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-04-2016).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15141 posts
Member since Nov 1999
Recall directions for the 4-cylinder.
http://www.fieronews.net/fu...alls/fierorecal1.pdf

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-24-2020).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15141 posts
Member since Nov 1999
The recall is also when they removed the decklid weatherstrip on the leading edge of the decklid.

The idea was that it would allow more hot air out of the engine bay, but removing it allowed water to fall through past the window onto the engine and exhaust manifold - and the thermal shock caused the exhaust manifold to crack in many cases.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-13-2010).]

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still don't understand why the recall was even done on the V6s...? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Anyways, carry on.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

I still don't understand why the recall was even done on the V6s...? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Anyways, carry on.

The reasons the recall was done on the V6 alot apply to the 4cyl too.
The PCV hose was moved to prevent the air filter from being soaked in oil,
The big heat shield that goes between the manifold and the block is there in case the block decides to let a piston go through it and make a hole and dump coolant and oil on the CAT, catch fire.
The heatsheild over the manifold is to prevent heat on the wiring harness, which the loom can become brittle and break off, fall on the CAT and catch fire.
The decklid weatherstrip was removed because it can become brittle, break off, fall on the CAT, catch fire.

As you can see this is where GM was going with this.
The CAT is a huge plate to light things up too
I have seen some of the decklid strips do just that get real brittle and break off, the CAT is straight below.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the easy way out... was to delete the CAT? How simple...
Sidecar 2M6 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sidecar 2M6 SESend a Private Message to Sidecar 2M6 SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice job Fierosound.

I appreciate you putting the pics and info together. When I bought my 85 it had all of them done on it so I never got a chance to see what was changed.
I have always wondered what was done for the recalls.
herb_mcracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for herb_mcracerSend a Private Message to herb_mcracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried to give Feirosound a Plus, but I don't have enough posts. Thanks is the best I can do for now. So there!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump

Maybe this could be added to the new How To section...

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-27-2010).]

Brent7088

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brent7088Send a Private Message to Brent7088Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I took the intake hose off to clean up my TB, the pipe that leads to the back of the valve cover feels a bit wobbly. Did I knock something loose or is this normal?
PFF
System Bot
S-toon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for S-toonSend a Private Message to S-toonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think my car ever got the recall done. I have added the CRX intake and here is how I have it. Let me know if there is anything wrong. I hooke up the 2 hoses on the firewall and the sensor too.

http://img714.imageshack.us.../3208/1027100958.jpg

http://img714.imageshack.us...14/83/1027100957.jpg
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
The idea was that it would allow more hot air out of the engine bay, but removing it allowed water to fall through past the window onto the engine and exhaust manifold - and the thermal shock caused the exhaust manifold to crack in many cases.

I still don't understand the water part, allow me to explain:

When the car is moving, water shouldn't get to this point - maybe when standing still and in a heavy rain. When you open the decklid the rubber pulls away from the window and water still runs down onto the manifold.

As for the manifold cracking, IMHO, I personally feel that this is due to the short exhaust system and it being spring mounted. There some weight here and it does bounce when the car is in motion and this movement is then transfer up to the manifolds and attacks the weak point. I 'think' that installing one of those flex tubes between the y-pipe and where the cat noramlly is would help solve this issue if this is indeed the case. All cars today have this flexable tube installed.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most recall doc is a download at http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The dealer's ?mechanics? butchered the recall job on my 85 GT when they installed the sheetmetal shield. Years later I discovered a pathetic attempt to weld some of the exhaust manifold IN PLACE. wtf? How did they even get a weld tip into position. Idiots!!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

When the car is moving, water shouldn't get to this point - maybe when standing still and in a heavy rain.
When you open the decklid the rubber pulls away from the window and water still runs down onto the manifold.

True. The weatherstrip may have another purpose.

Those of us who have reinstalled the weatherstrip have found the rear window glass does not get as HOT.
When I didn't have one, at times I found it was like sitting in front of an open oven door!!

Without the weatherstrip, engine heat off the exhaust manifold comes straight up the firewall onto the rear window.
With the weatherstrip, hot air has to escape through the vents at the sides of the engine bay as intended.
Even the vent panels also have a rubber strip on their front edge against the rear glass.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-07-2015).]

partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2013 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I went looking for a new manifold several years ago I called GM's consumer department to complain about the recall and discuss my options.

They said they would offer me a new manifold for half off.
Well the front manifold listed for $250, and it would be $125.

So I asked what the rear one listed for, $125.
He got an ear full from me on the bait and switch.

So I asked if the recall kit was available and how much.
It listed for about $100, and he offered 50% off to appease me.
I picked a dealer who was close and had it in stock, he set it up and I walked away a happy guy, well until about halfway through replacing it, what a pain!
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed my 88 had the recall done when I did a rebuild on it, they left the extra exhaust manifold gasket off, 2 of the exhaust manifold bolts were missing and the manifold had cracked almost all the way around. Someone at some dealer ship was very lazy, of course after doing a dozen of those recalls I would have been ready to shoot myself.
TrotFox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2014 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrotFoxSend a Private Message to TrotFoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

When the car is moving, water shouldn't get to this point - maybe when standing still and in a heavy rain. When you open the decklid the rubber pulls away from the window and water still runs down onto the manifold.

As for the manifold cracking, IMHO, I personally feel that this is due to the short exhaust system and it being spring mounted. There some weight here and it does bounce when the car is in motion and this movement is then transfer up to the manifolds and attacks the weak point. I 'think' that installing one of those flex tubes between the y-pipe and where the cat noramlly is would help solve this issue if this is indeed the case. All cars today have this flexible tube installed.

I plan to reinstall a rubber gasket here because of the water that comes in when I open the decklid to get at the trunk. The cooler rear window will also, hopefully, be a nice change!

On the other hand, I really believe this car would benefit from a flexible section like you mention. :)

Red 5spd Formula (currently a garage queen)
Trot, the rusty, fox...

------------------
| /\_/\ TrotFox \ Always remember,
| ( o o ) AKA Landon Solomon \ "There is a
| >\_/< trotfox at gmail.com \ third alternative."

Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not really following this. I have had my '88 GT V6 for 8 days so I'm not conversant on all the terms and issues. One thing that caught my attention right away was rain water falling directly onto the engine when the read deck is opened. I thought it was odd but this thread is making me wonder if this should be happening. Is there supposed to be a feature to prevent this or was that feature removed as part of a recall?

-------------------------

Found my answer in some recall docs, The rubber seal war removed and I can see the mounting holes that remain in the deck lid. Still seems strange to see all that water draining onto a hot engine.

[This message has been edited by Rsvl-Rider (edited 03-31-2014).]

Oregon88

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is what mine looks like,

Notice the capped off tube on the firewall
88 GT
------------------
Any Oregonians out there?

[This message has been edited by Oregon88 (edited 03-16-2016).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: