How To Fix door rattle Strike side by ProjectPb
Started on: 10-27-2012 05:54 PM
Replies: 19 (5946 views)
Last post by: Rhodesia1977 on 07-17-2022 06:00 PM
ProjectPb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2012 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ProjectPbSend a Private Message to ProjectPbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would first like to say I do not take credit for this fix. It was found searching old posts and thought it be nice to take the info found and make a nice easy guide.

This will be a quick and easy fix with pics I did on both of my doors. The rattling was driving me crazy and being I live in PA we have a lot of bumps.
I hope I did not over do the post.

parts needed are door striker bolts
AutoZone and Advance Auto are Dorman Help! #38421 AutoZone Advance Auto
Napa brand #675-5138 Napa Auto Online

Remove plastic and discard then replace washer

Reinstall and enjoy.

The rubber of the latch assembly shrinks with age and the ware down in the strike bolt causing the most hated rattle over bumps.

The larger diameter of the replacement bolt makes up for the rubber shrinking in the door latch stopping the rattles.

I hope this is found useful

Thanks
Jeff

------------------
85 SE 2m4 2.4 L4 5 speed
87 GT 2.8 V6 5 speed Gold and Gray with 94 FWD Cavalier 5 Speed
88 Formula CJB T-Top Project i think its going to stay Formula

ProjectPb for all for paintball needs check this out

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2012 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can also pick up some rubber bumper stops to put on a few places on the jams (top & bottom rear). Junkyard will yield some that just stick on and some with a screw in the middle.

I also get annoyed by dash and door rattles. Even my Mercedes has some door rattles and theyre latches are way overengineered.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2012 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done this swap with the exact striker bolts on both doors on my 88GT.

Really works nice, and stops the clunking rattles...

Thanks for sharing !!

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. All original.

jimlong67

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2012 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimlong67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have trouble getting the old striker off, I tried a star point bit, it just striped out the striker. I tried a pair of Vice grips, a large pair of channel lock pliers, Use a small pipe wrench, it works like a charm.

------------------
When I read about the EVILS of drinking, I gave up READING.

[This message has been edited by jimlong67 (edited 12-11-2012).]

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Adding this as another option for latch repair.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-2-102062.html
Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info!!!!! Just what I needed! Doing both doors this weekend.
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Needa" brand is #384212. Took care of this today, seems to do the trick, thanks! Those old ones were seriously stubborn though. You will need an impact driver for sure
phantaztix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phantaztixSend a Private Message to phantaztixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to add, that I did this fix as well, and it worked perfectly. I didn't know my doors could be so sturdy! One thing to remember, it takes a little extra effort to open/close the doors. Make sure your door is fully closed when you go driving.
FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This helped my driver's door somewhat, but didn't get rid of the rattle completely. However, wrapping some electrical tape several times around the striker for some extra cushioning silenced it the rest of the way. It really needs that cushioning, when you shut the door it now feels firm, secure and quiet. I assume that the layer of rubber in the door latch originally has worn through and is mostly metal-on-metal now.

------------------
My Fiero: 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, V6, 4-speed manual

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2015 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just used this thread's tip. Worker perfectly!
Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As did I, great and easy fix to an annoying problem.
PFF
System Bot
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Adding this as another option for latch repair.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-2-102062.html

This is the real fix. I do not weld and do not have a welder. Is anyone on the forum offering the service to fix / rebuild these for other members?

Junkbox12

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Junkbox12Send a Private Message to Junkbox12Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks so much for this info!
tomsablon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2018 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tomsablonSend a Private Message to tomsablonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WORKS PERFECT!!! Bought 2 from rock auto. No more rattle. THANKS!
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2018 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ProjectPb:

I hope this is found useful.

Another unfortunate example of why not using PIP to post images here usually backfires.

[EDIT] And someone negs me for posting that? The truth hurts, eh?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-26-2018).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2018 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

You can also pick up some rubber bumper stops to put on a few places on the jams (top & bottom rear). Junkyard will yield some that just stick on and some with a screw in the middle.

I also get annoyed by dash and door rattles. Even my Mercedes has some door rattles and theyre latches are way overengineered.

Any pics of where you added these? Thanks
Camel

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2019 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CamelClick Here to visit Camel's HomePageSend a Private Message to CamelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Ford striker bolts completely rid my 88 of the rattle, you could actually push pull the drivers door 1/2" with the window down and here it bounce over bumps. Passenger side is never used and it was fine but replaced it and it also shuts firmer.

It does have 100k on it, but I would suggest anyone that does or even doesn't currently have an issue to replace them. Seems the stock may be a tad too loose.

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2020 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Camel:

The Ford striker bolts completely rid my 88 of the rattle, you could actually push pull the drivers door 1/2" with the window down and here it bounce over bumps. Passenger side is never used and it was fine but replaced it and it also shuts firmer.

It does have 100k on it, but I would suggest anyone that does or even doesn't currently have an issue to replace them. Seems the stock may be a tad too loose.

What is the Ford part #?

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 06-14-2020).]

oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2021 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm scratching my head over the striker pn#38421. The threads are imperial, but the Fiero is metric. #38421 has 7/16"-14 threads. The Fiero ('88) is M12...I think M12x1.5. This part number won't work. Unless all you're interested in is using the plastic bushings from the part. Please correct me if I'm wrong. This is true for my car. #38421 now just sits in my junk box.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

Rhodesia1977

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2022 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rhodesia1977Send a Private Message to Rhodesia1977Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock