Pennock's Fiero Forum
  FAQs & HowTos
  Adapting a Small Bore Slave for use on the Getrag. Pics and Info included. (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Adapting a Small Bore Slave for use on the Getrag. Pics and Info included. by Capt Fiero
Started on: 12-01-2008 04:05 PM
Replies: 59 (2245 views)
Last post by: fieroaddicted on 01-06-2013 09:28 AM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't even find a dang stock Isuzu pushrod, however take the below pic, enlarge it so the longer rod in the pic, is as big on screen as the stock one is in real life, then simply measure the on screen length of the Getrag one shown. I do mean quite seriously take a tape measure to your computer screen. Its not going to be an exact, but I'll bet ya it'll get you really close.

From the pic it looks like it is 5/8ths the length of the stock Isuzu rod.

Oh, P.S. the 2 slaves you said you have for the Muncie and the Isuzu, just grab a caliper and measure the inside dia and choose whatever is the smaller. They should be the same, however if they are not, grab the smaller one.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

IP: Logged
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Capt!!

That will definately work. As for the slaves I have. The one on the car is a cast replacement, its garbage but only 3 months old. The one on the shelf that I want to use for this is OEM steel and it might even be good. I'd bet the OEM one has a smaller bore but I will check them both to be sure. I have replaced everthing (slave, master, pedal, and lines) and this car has still always shifted at the floor so this will be a very nice upgrade. Later Dave and congrats again on the new addition!
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh just to add to the thread,

I have 11 months and 4 days on this setup and have not had to add a drop of fluid or bleed the system since install. Even after taking it on a 3000km road trip. I have put 20,000kms on the car since install and it has been perfect.
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just coming back to add something also.

I finally found it in the archives...

Getrag slave rod length - 3.5 inches (3 1/2")
Isuzu & muncie - 5.625 inches (5 5/8")

Figured this might be of some help to those who are considering this change but dont have a getrag rod like me.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2009 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have searched through all the threads on the MR2 kits and I may have missed it but I don't see the specific model for the kit in any write-up. Does anyone know which one to ask for or is it the same for all MR2s?

------------------

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2009 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for the question
fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2010 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

The 1985/86 Toyota MR2 features a slave cylinder with the same bore size as the steel Isuzu slave cylinder.
The MR2 uses a dual seal piston, vs the single seal on the Fiero.
The part number for the MR2 piston is CHK351359.
The photo below shows the MR2 Piston, boot and spring. To complete this upgrade, you use just the MR2 piston, with the Fiero Isuzu spring.

85 or 86
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2010 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did that conversion last spring on my 88 GT and like you say ( and this car has still always shifted at the floor ) but now you"ll get your knee right under your chin LOL
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post01-09-2010 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An outstanding write up,amplitudinous thanks to Cap. Fiero..
Rodney Dickman now has his own design clutch slave cylinders available ..about $70.oo
One of the Fiero,s major problems has been the leaky clutch slave,, thank you Capt.Fiero for a LOW COST SOLUTION.
also thanks to Rodney for new design and manufacture of custom Slave
watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by uhlanstan:
Rodney Dickman now has his own design clutch slave cylinders available ..about $70.oo

Actually, about $80 (plus shipping). But....

I stumbled across an old original STEEL Isuzu slave in my parts pile (thank god for hording some times?) that I've honed out, cleaned up, repainted (with caliper paint BTW - not so affected by brake fluid and heat), and added an MR2 slave kit.... Should be good to go. I prefer the feel of the skinny slave, having done it in the past on other cars. Nice quick release under your foot. Just a little less modulation from on to off, but WTF...

I'm going to pack the first bellow of the boot with SylGlide and see how that works with keeping moisture out.
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bumping it so I can find it to Favorite this.
PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just adding that I know 3 people locally that have done this mod and all say it worked perfect.

My personal 88GT has not had a single issue since doing it and it shifts perferct.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did this to my slave and though I have not driven the car since, the pedal is tighter then heck!
chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great write up!

It sounds like it worked on a Centerforce clutch. How about a Spec clutch / pressure plate? I assume that they would have more stiff springs, would this cause any problem?

I will be sure to do this when my Getrag slave crapps out!
-Chris
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Worked fine on my Centerforce clutch and great on my Clutchnet 6 puck race clutch. So far at least 4 people in our club have done it on various configurations and all have had great results with it.
Fierology

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm just doing this now. Any reason why I can't use some other length rod? I have a 4-spd rod that I had shortened when I was trying to use the Getrag slave and get more stroke out of it. It's longer than the Getrag rod but shorter than the Isuzu. The Getrag rod just seems to short. I'll have almost no stroke of the slave left to travel.

-Michael
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierology:

I'm just doing this now. Any reason why I can't use some other length rod? I have a 4-spd rod that I had shortened when I was trying to use the Getrag slave and get more stroke out of it. It's longer than the Getrag rod but shorter than the Isuzu. The Getrag rod just seems to short. I'll have almost no stroke of the slave left to travel.

-Michael

You have me confused, you are installing this on a Getrag 5spd right? If its being installed on a Getrag 5spd, then their should be no problem using the Getrag rod, unless you have a different slave mounting bracket. If you are installing this on any other trans, its a moot point as the Muncie uses the same slave as the Isuzu without any modification and you would have to use the Muncie or Isuzu Push rod.
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I forgot to add this but I had to make a custom length rod for mine. Clutchnet 6 puck and pressure plate. Needed a 4.5" rod to get full release. The isuzu was too long and the getrag was too short. Not everyone needs this. I think it may be my particular clutch that helped. Just something for you guys to keep in mind. Once you get everything back together have someone push the clutch while the slave boot is off. If the slave piston reaches the end of its travel before the clutch disengages you may need a slightly longer rod.

Works great now. One of my favorite changes. Slightly less modulation but quicker and snapier shifts overall. With a little practice modulation is not difficult. A great upgrade for a performance driven car. Thanks David!

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 06-15-2010).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2012 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to update, still running this setup years later in my 88GT and no problems yet. I had to do a clutch replacement and due to it wearing out after an unknown amount of driving, it was installed at least 100,000kms ago and driving hard. It was not a catastrophic failure, just eventually started slipping. I still drove it to Oregon and Back without issue, just couldn't goose it in any gear or spin the tires even in wet pavement.

If you have a GOOD working Getrag slave I would not change it just because, but if your Getrag blows, you will find this a nice treat and the quicker engagement and disengagement is a really nice treat indeed. I think that is why this clutch lasted as long as it did, as there was a lot less slipping going on between shits.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

if your Getrag blows, you will find this a nice treat and the quicker engagement and disengagement is a really nice treat indeed. I think that is why this clutch lasted as long as it did, as there was a lot less slipping going on between shits.

Capt, my car has the getrag 5sp in it, and when i got it, it was not shifting properly and leaking fluid at the slave. I will be looking into this once I get the tranny out in the process of doing my swap. Looks like a great idea. Thanks for posting!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock