Pennock's Fiero Forum
  FAQs & HowTos
  Removing a V-6 Engine - By The Numbers (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Removing a V-6 Engine - By The Numbers by Toddster
Started on: 01-01-2008 07:31 PM
Replies: 211 (31345 views)
Last post by: Toddster on 11-11-2020 05:20 PM
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My pleasure. The lasted requests have all been sent ouot, let me know if you didn't get your copy because my email has been having a hissy fit lately.
IP: Logged
Ratfink

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RatfinkSend a Private Message to RatfinkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rcvd it! Wow Thanks! AAA+++
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2011 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Latest emails received and responded to
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2011 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^^
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2011 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
got the file,AWESOME-- --- AND A + to you
speedy05

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2012 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for speedy05Send a Private Message to speedy05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do i need to remove the front bumper ......its e 86 gt .......

thanks
KaijuSenso

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2012 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by speedy05:

do i need to remove the front bumper ......its e 86 gt .......

thanks

No, there is plenty of clearance.
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2012 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KaijuSenso:

No, there is plenty of clearance.

But I do recommend putting a towel or blanket under the nose in case you do jack it up a little too high. You won't end up scraping the paint that way.

[This message has been edited by Toddster (edited 02-01-2012).]

bcampbell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2012 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bcampbellSend a Private Message to bcampbellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to add some notes from my own recent experience.

First, my electric impact gun is my best friend for jobs like these. I was worried about having trouble with the cradle bolts as I live in Canada and even though the car doesn't have much rust, it doesn't take much for bolts to sieze up. I started a week earlier soaking the cradle bolts in 'deep creep', my favorite penetrating oil. I used my impact gun to break all of the bolts loose, and although one of the rear bolts started spinning, the impact gun was able to get it free enough that I just used a 9/16 wrench above the head of the bolt and a rachet to finish working it loose. Obviously I will need to get that welded up again but it didn't prolong the job of removing the engine. Without the impact gun, I doubt I would have gotten anywhere without cutting the frame open. The gun I have I bought for <$100 and it has the ability to adjust the torque from 70-350 ft-lbs. This is one tool that I recommend buying if you do not have access to an air compressor. In Canada they go on sale once in a while for that price at Canadian Tire. They're normally priced at about $250 though IIRC.

Second, because I'm cheap and didn't want to build a cart for dropping the cradle onto, I opted instead to drop the cradle right onto the legs of the lift. It worked beautifully and as soon as the car was high enough, I rested the car on two jack stands that were on some wood I stacked up. As a back-up, in case the jack stands tilted, I also placed the two rear wheels under the car as added protection. For me, this made the job much more simple and I was able to accomplish the job in 3 1/2 hours by myself, first try.

Some pics of how I did it:

Hope this helps someone else with their future engine removal!
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2012 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, It is easy for us Californians. The rust belt crowd will invariably NEED power tools and torchs for some of the hardware.
ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2012 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done this on a couple West coast cars, which have had no rust... and we were able to get the cradle bolts out with just 1/2" drive ratchets and some muscle. I pity those who aren't so lucky.

Also, I'll add in yet another vote for the GM FSM version of lifting the car - do so with the jacks and a big section of wood, it's a lot easier to get things aligned later. Alternatively, a friend and I once took a slightly longer route, and took the rear bumper fascia off, and lifted the car by the rear bumper attachment points using some heavy lifting straps and an engine hoist. Longer, but makes lifting and lowering the car easier. I still advocate the floor jack and wood method.

PFF
System Bot
chanoric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2012 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chanoricSend a Private Message to chanoricEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Toddster should really repost those pics would be awesome.
chanoric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2012 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chanoricSend a Private Message to chanoricEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGT42:

Sorry to thread necro but...

Well no, using the trunk latch isn't the right way to do it. I was just talking with someone who did have the whole latch section tear out and the car fell! (Yes they were doing it carefully and on a perfectly rust free trunk). FFS, don't do it unless you really don't care about your car and possible injuries. Now that I've said that, go ahead and do it anyway.

I'll proceed to do it skitime's way (a.k.a. the factory manual way, i.e. the right way). Great post though. I've had this bookmarked since the beginning and I'm finally breaking my cradle bolts loose today. I hope to have the engine out this weekend!

Yeah i would not recommend using the trunk latch my ripped out and almost took my friends head with it. Atleast i know he can move fast enough to dodge a bullet. Latch flew across my garage and stuck in the wall. So once again do not do this.
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bcampbell:

First, my electric impact gun is my best friend for jobs like these...... Second, because I'm cheap and didn't want to build a cart for dropping the cradle onto, I opted instead to drop the cradle right onto the legs of the lift.

BOTH are great tips...But I doubt you are as cheap as you think, I'll bet the impact gun set you back a few bucks.
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Toddster

20871 posts
Member since May 2001

Originally posted by chanoric:
Yeah i would not recommend using the trunk latch my ripped out and almost took my friends head with it. Atleast i know he can move fast enough to dodge a bullet. Latch flew across my garage and stuck in the wall. So once again do not do this.

Thanks for posting it. Like I said in the beginning each car is different and although I have lifted cars with the engine in them by the latch with no incident, rust belt people are more likely to be leary of this technique. But you are the first person I have heard who actually had a failure so I will mention it in an edit.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2012 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent post, two thumbs up!

I sent you an email request for a copy of the current Word /PDF document.

Here's a tip I heard from a local Fiero owner/mechanic (I haven't tried it yet, but it sure makes sense):
To get a bit more ground clearance and added safety when working under a Fiero, jack-up the front end and put a set of old rims (with tires left on and outside face of rims facing down on the floor) underneath the front two wheels. This helps to raise the car a couple of inches and act like wheel chocks to prevent the car from rolling in any direction. Smaller size old rims (13"?) with tires may help to raise the car a bit higher and are available from wreckers fairly cheap.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2012 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by canfirst:

Excellent post, two thumbs up!

I sent you an email request for a copy of the current Word /PDF document.

Here's a tip I heard from a local Fiero owner/mechanic (I haven't tried it yet, but it sure makes sense):
To get a bit more ground clearance and added safety when working under a Fiero, jack-up the front end and put a set of old rims (with tires left on and outside face of rims facing down on the floor) underneath the front two wheels. This helps to raise the car a couple of inches and act like wheel chocks to prevent the car from rolling in any direction. Smaller size old rims (13"?) with tires may help to raise the car a bit higher and are available from wreckers fairly cheap.

WOW, good tip!

That made me think of another one. I noticed that the donut spare has a hole in the middle. Put the donut spare on when you need to remove the hub nut on the half shafts. Then you don't have to dick around trying to keep the transmission from spinning when you undo the 200ft/lbs of torque to get it off (and put it back on).

KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2012 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just throwing this out there again. You don't need to do anything with the nose of the car if you just use a floor jack to lift the car. I've recently dropped the cradle again using my same set up and it worked flawlessly. There should be some pictures I posted a page or so back in this thread. Use a 4x4 that fits across the bottom of the car about where the jacking points are then lift it in the center with the floor jack. It seems a lot safer then lifting by the trunk latch.
canfirst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2012 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Todd,
Thank you for emailing me the Fiero V6 Manual Word document so quickly! It will definitely be used for future reference and placed in my Fiero Library. I also left you well deserved positive feedback.
Cheers,
John

------------------
Now new owner of a Black TTop 88 Fiero GT and owner of a Silver 88 Fiero GT. Also a second time owner of an 85 Fiero GT. Bought my first fully loaded Red Fiero GT new in 1985. Fiero's are Fabulous, Fix'em and have Fun! Note, Avatar picture is Mr. Bean (not me, ha ha).

canfirst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2012 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump so US Holiday weekend members don't miss this excellent thread.
PFF
System Bot
fierohobby

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2012 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohobbySend a Private Message to fierohobbyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the Word doc, thank you Todd!

-fh
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2012 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My pleasure guys. I was thinking about adding a subsection on upgrading to a 3.4 engine. Would that be of help?
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to see it.
hypo327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hypo327Send a Private Message to hypo327Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Todd:

Thanks so much for spending the time to build this thread! Everything has gone great until step number 28 (removing the A/C compressor) on a charged system. I removed the lower bolt with my air ratchet, but I can't even get a standard 3/8" ratchet on those upper pivot bracket bolts. I've moved the compressor tight against the firewall and can't even see the bolts. I can get my box-end on the one closest to the engine, by feel, but no room to loosen it. You did it, so please share the secret, because I've tried everything and can't get to them!

Thanks
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the delay, the thread got moved and I didn't notice it

I emailed you with the answer Michael. Hope it helps.

And I will start on the 3.4 upgrade section soon.
hypo327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2012 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hypo327Send a Private Message to hypo327Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

Sorry for the delay, the thread got moved and I didn't notice it

I emailed you with the answer Michael. Hope it helps.

And I will start on the 3.4 upgrade section soon.

Thanks so much...I do to! Be looking forward to your 3.4 thread!
calvinthedestroyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2012 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for calvinthedestroyerClick Here to visit calvinthedestroyer's HomePageSend a Private Message to calvinthedestroyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you just need to take out the engine and transmission, remove the decklid, unbolt everything, then use a 5 foot long pry-bar to pop out the rear axles and then lift the engine and transmission right out the top.

For stubborn bolts, we used my dad's impact wrench. That thing can snap the lugs right off a semi truck!

An Overhead crane system with multiple chains-falls works great for putting everything back together. The only hard part is getting my dad to let us use it!
jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[/QUOTE]

would lifting this way but using lengths of chain with grade 8 bolts through it for master links work well or will it be too much stress for bolts to take? hell i may not even have enough bolts around for that. i was going to go with the latch method but am leery of it now ya can never be too safe, can i get that word doc also?
cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

that's a neat idea, but i've never seen those holes on any car.
and they look like they were made with a holesaw.
i'm going to guess they were added.
but it's still a really cool lifting point.

My 88 has those exact holes and I've looked at a bunch of fieros at pick'npull and they seem to have them too.
DPoppelll

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DPoppelllSend a Private Message to DPoppelllEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey thanks again i got the 4 cylinder subframe out this weekend largely thanks to this thread.
PFF
System Bot
ZaraSpOOk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2012 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZaraSpOOkSend a Private Message to ZaraSpOOkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1st, thanks again for creating the step by step, I doubt I would have attempted it without it.
There are a couple minor differences I have noticed, but nothing to hold you up if you use your 'noggin.

the parking brake on an 88 is different, but when you crawl under there, you'll see what to do

also there are two wires to the AC unit that are not mentioned in the step by step, these are located on the opposite end of the two wire connector

[This message has been edited by ZaraSpOOk (edited 11-21-2012).]

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2012 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys, got a few requests for PDF, I am out of town for the holidays so I will deal with all requests when I get back on the 29th
omninate

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for omninateClick Here to visit omninate's HomePageSend a Private Message to omninateEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks so much for creating this guide - absolutely amazing work! I was interested in printing it out for reference, and so I created a new PDF version - available here:
Removing a V6 Engine by the Numbers - by Toddster.pdf

[This message has been edited by omninate (edited 09-26-2014).]

medic880

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for medic880Send a Private Message to medic880Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job guys. Toddster incredible write up. I am a new first time Fiero owner and began doing a head gasket job. Now finding out the proper way to get it done the right way. I have the top half of the motor out but I am still going to try and do this so I can check and clean up anything that needs attention. Besides my muffler is shot so this will make it easier. Nate great job on putting it all together in a great format. Just printed it off at work and in color it looks great!

[This message has been edited by medic880 (edited 10-09-2014).]

GadgetMaker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2015 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GadgetMakerSend a Private Message to GadgetMakerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to necropost, but I just dropped my engine with this guide, and it made life much simpler! Even though I have a 4cyl, thing were close enough that anyone with any business taking out an engine can figure it out quickly. Thanks!
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2015 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the pdf link! I have been away for a while dealing with life. Just wanted to drop in and say hi to everyone. I have a new email address that is now linked to my profile so feel free to email if you have any questions.
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2015 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great write up !
I'll need this for my "how to collection"

Excellent !!!
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2016 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fantastic Step-by-Step!

I always fear that photo's will be lost with broken links and such. I just submitted this thread to the WayBack Machine. It saved the thread, and it will be available, pictures and all forever, should something ever happen to this thread
Link to the saved thread
ron768

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2016 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting this. Using this method this week to swap my motor out. Taking my time as I only have a couple of hours a day that I can work on the car. Thank you again.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock