Pennock's Fiero Forum
  FAQs & HowTos
  How to remove inner door panels, with pics.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How to remove inner door panels, with pics. by fierohoho
Started on: 10-30-2002 01:54 PM
Replies: 34 (8318 views)
Last post by: Sage on 10-21-2021 07:15 PM
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2002 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I recently replaced my dew wipe I had the door apart so I took a ton of pics.

What I offer here is for the new Fiero owners who want to do the work themselves.

I welcome any comments from others to help cover any mistakes I make or to offer an easier way for the beginer to do this.

The pics are from my '84 with power windows, locks and mirrors.

I will try to add a pic later on the easy way to remove the manual window crank.

First use a small flat blade screwdriver to remove the covers over the two philips head screws.

Next you need to remove the button from the lock rod, this can be done by gently pulling the case away from the door panel and using a small flat blade screwdriver pry the button away from the lock rod at the rear.

Now pull the door handle out and work the case off over the handle. If you don't have power locks that's it, if you do you now need to unplug the wiring from the case, do this by gently bending the two lock tabs away from the plug and then pry the plug up off the pins, it may help to have a friend help you with this as three hands make it easier.

More to come...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierohoho

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2002 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now to remove the arm rest first use a small flat blade screwdriver to pop out the screw cover.

Then remove the three philips head screws from the arm rest, these are fairly big so use a bigger screw driver.

Lastly, using a tool like pictured or anything suitable pry out the "christmas tree" push pins that attach the panel to the door itself, take your time and use the tool to feel around the edge for the pins, there is also one fastener just behind the door handle through that opening.

There are a total of 9 fasteners on the door panel, this pic shows their location. Don't go at these too hard as they are held to the door by little tabs and it doesn't take much to trash the hole in the door panel where they mount.

One other thing, if you have manual mirrors there is a small allen head set screw that holds the adjuster inside the small housing mounted to the door panel, loosen this and it should push through with no problems.

Also see my follow up post "How to remove outer door panel, with pics"

Hope this helps, Wrench On dudes, HoHo
liltobe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2002 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liltobeSend a Private Message to liltobeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierohoho, do you think you could post how to replace dew wipes with pics if you have em? That would be AWESOME. I took off my door panels to do the door locks, and I also have to do the dew wipes. you have to take the outer door panel to do the wipes, right? Thanks man, -Andre

------------------

Carrolles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2002 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No need to remove the outer door panel to replace the outer dew wipe strips.

Rodney Dickman sells a pretty neat tool to get the screws out. See it at:

rodneydickman.com

under the tools tab.

[This message has been edited by Carrolles (edited 10-30-2002).]

fierohoho

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2002 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I plan on doing another thread on removing the outer door skin soon, I will try to incorporate doing the dew wipe with pics in that one. I found it's a little easier to do the wipes with the skin off, it's also a good time to clean and regrease the lock mechanism which frees up any sticky power locks.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2002 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just replace both new wipes on an 89 GTA restoration job. What a pain in the azz. GM shoulda made a little flange so you could just stick a screwdriver in pointed downward to take out the screws after holding the rubber out slightly.
Daniel87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel87GTSend a Private Message to Daniel87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
I just replace both new wipes on an 89 GTA restoration job. [snip]

Excuse me? What was that you said? It's not that I don't believe you, but perhaps you could shed some digital photography on any particular issues you ran into? Or just some picks to show what exactly you are working on?

fierohoho

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an addition to the manual mirror removal and the manual window crank handle removal.

To remove the control cable from the housing use a small allen wrench to loosen the set screw on the window side and the control head will slide through.

To remove a manual window handle you need to make a small hook out of a piece of wire or a paper clip, then just reach behind the handle as shown and hook the "c" clip and pull it off, you should then be able to wiggle the handle loose.

andguent

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for andguentClick Here to visit andguent's HomePageSend a Private Message to andguentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daniel87GT:
Excuse me? What was that you said? It's not that I don't believe you, but perhaps you could shed some digital photography on any particular issues you ran into? Or just some picks to show what exactly you are working on?

Oh boy. HoHo look what you started, now everyone is going to want great pictures of everything done.
"I had my tires changed today" "Did you take pics?"
"I went to start my car today" "Did you take pics?"

And it only gets worse....
"I scratched my..."
"Honey what did you do while I was out?"

Come on, your making us look bad here.

Daniel87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel87GTSend a Private Message to Daniel87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by andguent:
Oh boy. HoHo look what you started, now everyone is going to want great pictures of everything done.[cut]

EXCUSE ME! Perhaps I was being a little too subtle for you. I think that what Fierohoho is doing is great. It lets people that have not done their dew wipes before have some visual instructions available to go with the ton of written stuff out there. Keep it up hoho. My reply was directed at roger garrison who claimed to be doing his dew wipes on an 89 GTP. What I was kindly trying to say was, you're working on an 89 GTP? Prove it. Pictures?

I've done my dew wipes before. I wanted pictures of this 89 GTP he claims to be working on.

Jerk.

[This message has been edited by Daniel87GT (edited 11-01-2002).]

andguent

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for andguentClick Here to visit andguent's HomePageSend a Private Message to andguentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I apologize if my joke was not as funny as I would have liked it to be. It was nothing against you.

If I am a jerk, thats fine. Sorry.

PFF
System Bot
MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2002 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Daniel87GT: Read it again. He said a GTA which is NOT a 89 Fiero GTP!!
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2003 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(bump) Great post! Very informative!
Tweek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2003 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweekSend a Private Message to TweekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can buy a tool for removing the manual window handles fairly cheaply... AND it also works great for removing the "christmas tree" puch pins that hold the inner dool panel in place.
JD86GT350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2003 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JD86GT350Send a Private Message to JD86GT350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to fierohoho, this saved my sanity this afternoon

Originally posted by fierohoho:

To remove a manual window handle you need to make a small hook out of a piece of wire or a paper clip, then just reach behind the handle as shown and hook the "c" clip and pull it off, you should then be able to wiggle the handle loose.

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2013 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(bump) Great post! Very informative!
(Thanks again for creating this thread, I'm going to need to do this soon)
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a question. Behind the inner door handle there is a black plastic "plate" or "shield" about the size of the door handle that covers the view to the inner door (I don't know what it is called). How is that installed? When I removed my inner door panel it just came off and I did't see how it was attached. Thanks
fierohoho

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2014 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you look at the very first picture you can see where it sits just to the upper left of my knuckle and behind the door latch handle, it mounts to the handle mechanism and is installed before the outer surround goes on.

It does not attach very securely to the handle mechanism.

The outer case sits over it and it does not attach to that.

Hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by fierohoho (edited 02-20-2014).]

kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierohoho:

Stupid question how do you put that back on?

fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could always go to a local auto parts store or harbor freight store and get this cheap tool.

[This message has been edited by fierogtlt1 (edited 06-09-2014).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2014 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kendallville:

Stupid question how do you put that back on?

Simply snap the clip back in as seen in the picture and then press the crank back on the door. It will snap into place.
PFF
System Bot
PacNWFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PacNWFieroSend a Private Message to PacNWFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know if this way of taking the door apart lets you replace the interior door handle?

I have an interior handle on the driver's side that recently snapped in half and I am looking to replace it.
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2015 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, you get to the inner door handle while the inner door panel is off. If I remember right the inner door handle is held on with rivets
SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2020 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just started the tedious job of replacing the outer dew strip on my 86 Fiero. I am positive it has never been torn apart before as some of the plastic christmas trees broke off :-(
Does anyone know where you can get the right style of replacement? And, how do you get them to stay in the pre-cut hole they mount in on the interior door panel itself? I was thinking of glue to help hold them in place?

Also, the passenger mirror was not mounted on the car and the blots that hold it on are also not with the car. Does anyone know the specific size they are so I can go buy them?

Thanks in advance.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SamanthaM:

I just started the tedious job of replacing the outer dew strip on my 86 Fiero. I am positive it has never been torn apart before as some of the plastic christmas trees broke off :-(
Does anyone know where you can get the right style of replacement? And, how do you get them to stay in the pre-cut hole they mount in on the interior door panel itself? I was thinking of glue to help hold them in place?

Also, the passenger mirror was not mounted on the car and the blots that hold it on are also not with the car. Does anyone know the specific size they are so I can go buy them?

Thanks in advance.

Fierostore has the fasteners. They are supposed to twist into the door panel and lock in place.
https://www.fierostore.com/...px?s=80382&d=308&p=1

As for the mirror, I thought it has studs with nuts. I have not seen one with bolts. If you need the nuts:
https://www.fierostore.com/...88105&nq=0&d=190&p=1

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 02-06-2020).]

SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2020 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Fierostore has the fasteners. They are supposed to twist into the door panel and lock in place.
https://www.fierostore.com/...px?s=80382&d=308&p=1

As for the mirror, I thought it has studs with nuts. I have not seen one with bolts. If you need the nuts:
https://www.fierostore.com/...88105&nq=0&d=190&p=1

Thank you. I ordered some things from Rodney Dickman so I added some new christmas trees to my order. The temps took a dump here in Ohio so I have suspended my work on the dew strips until I can feel my fingers again!

As for the mirror.... Now I see why it was just sitting in the trunk. I guess I am going to have to order some missing parts to be able to reattach it to the car.
SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2020 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, after looking at a picture online, it seems the studs are not on the passenger mirror.... :-( So, is it possible to just fix this one or do I need to try and find a replacement?
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2020 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SamanthaM:

Well, after looking at a picture online, it seems the studs are not on the passenger mirror.... :-( So, is it possible to just fix this one or do I need to try and find a replacement?

I just went out and removed the stud from my mirror. I assume your mirror is simply missing the bolts....or are they broken off? Here is what they should look like:

I need to post a thread in General about this. I believe they are 6mm but I don't know the thread spacing.
SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2020 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I just went out and removed the stud from my mirror. I assume your mirror is simply missing the bolts....or are they broken off?

I need to post a thread in General about this. I believe they are 6mm but I don't know the thread spacing.

They are missing on mine. Thank you so much, this is extremely helpful! I will head to the hardware store today or tomorrow and see if I can get two new ones!
SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2020 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did finally get the studs out of the Fiero I am gutting in the field and mounted the passenger mirror. Thank you guys for this great article and all your help!
J.Zimmerman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2021 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J.ZimmermanSend a Private Message to J.ZimmermanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone else not able to see OP's photos and see the "no hotlinking" image instead?

James
PFF
System Bot
MichiganReefer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2021 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganReeferSend a Private Message to MichiganReeferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Images are also broken for me.
cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2021 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have no problems seeing pics.
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2021 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm on a pc....using windows 10 have the photobucket hotlink fix installed and the old pics in this thread don't show up for me either.

Just adding to the information compilation.

HAGO!
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2021 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pics are back! Yea Cliff!

HAGO!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock