Pennock's Fiero Forum
  FAQs & HowTos
  How to ... remove seats when the rails are rusted.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How to ... remove seats when the rails are rusted. by Danyel
Started on: 10-16-2009 10:05 AM
Replies: 17 (3944 views)
Last post by: Lunatic on 06-01-2014 07:36 AM
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After reading a couple of threads asking how to remove their seats because they are stuck or rusted in I decided to show you how I removed them to change the seat rails. Since the seat does NOT move forward or back you will see it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a good grip on the nut with a 13mm socket wrench or key . Most of the nuts are so rusted, even if you could grip them they will surely strip. So instead of getting frustrated with them here is how I remove these..
Tools required;
1 dremel with cutting disks
1 hammer
1 very large flat tip screwdriver
1 car jack

Step # 1

Front Bolts are the easy ones... using the dremel disk cut through the fronts of both nuts. Just make a front cut where you can insert the large flat tip screwdriver. Once the cut is done insert the screwdriver in the cut and give it a good wack with a hammer... the nut WILL snap after a couple of good hits.

Step # 2

Once both front nuts are snapped off use a car jack to lift the front of the seat up high in the air. this will give you dremel access to the outer nut. Do the same.. cut a line in the side of this nut so you can insert the screwdriver to give it a hit. You can see that once the seat in jacked up you also have good dremel access to the hardest one to reach in the back. Make sure you cut in the side of this nut to insert the screwdriver. I have done 8 seats with this method and the bolts can be reused to hold new seat rails down. Try not to go through too much of the bolt with the dremel as you cut through the nut ..... you will have to re-weld new ones if you do.

Once the nuts are cut tug on the seat and .... VOILA !!!

------------------

The Black Widow Site

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 10-17-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Larryh86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Neat info. Thanks.
Larry

------------------

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-- Dave Barry

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2009 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You get a "+" from me. I had to do this with my Indy as the sunroof had been leaking and the seats were rusted solid to the floor.
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is my forth northern Fiero .... and so far I had to do this for all of them .... I bought new seat rails for the black widow this week ... they are going have a generous coat of grease on the tracks and nuts ... this to prevent further headaches ..... I wonder if there is something else I can use to prevent this ???
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2009 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-02-2016).]

Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
infinitewill --- yep but if the rails lock up again still is a PIA to remove the rear ones.... any thought on what should be put on the rails to keep them nice and slippery???
fierogt455

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt455Send a Private Message to fierogt455Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used your procedure this past weekend; it worked!!! a big + for you.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-02-2016).]

Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2009 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierogt455 --- I'm glad to have been of some help .... after 8 seats I might start a business with that... hehehehe (JOKE) THX for the plus
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2009 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
infinitewill --- good idea I think I will do that to mine ... THX
jetsnvettes2000

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2010 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol i just posted a question asking how to get my darn seat out looks like i should have hit the archives first!! ill b tryin this soon as my dremel charges.!!
PFF
System Bot
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2010 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol, your "cut a slit and then stick a screwdriver in it" method in it is how the oral surgeon pulled my wisdom tooth with the curved roots.

First she cracked the crown off, then "dremeled" a "plus sign" into the tooth, and with three screwdriver twists, she was able to break the tooth into quadrants and yank the pieces out.

[/highjack]
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2010 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep the Archives are your best friends sometimes ..... I have done this method to 5 other fieros works pretty good just be patient while slitting the rusted nuts ... you will get them off as have I ...

take care
Danyel

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 02-24-2010).]

oliver9000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2013 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oliver9000Send a Private Message to oliver9000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just struggled with this yesterday to the point of pure frustration. Wish I had seen this first! Thanks though
Turgeon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2013 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TurgeonSend a Private Message to TurgeonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used this for my drivers side seat the seat came out just fine, but the studs in the frame broke right off. any ideas on how to replace them????
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Turgeon:

I used this for my drivers side seat the seat came out just fine, but the studs in the frame broke right off. any ideas on how to replace them????

I grinded down redrilled 1/8th inch and welded a new high tension bolt... works fine ... the three others were in good shape
Danyel
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just curious as to how your floor pans looked. Had to do the same process (after reading your method) on my 87 GT. Was this on a car you were scrapping? If your floor pans were rusted how did you repair? Thanks!
Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great write-up! I too live in the "rust belt" area of Canada and had to contend with this issue. It's interesting how we have to get creative and remove our rusted hardware. I think any weekend TV car shows should do a few episodes of how Northern people work on their cars. I mean, lets see them try to remove control arms, cradles, etc with regular hand tools and no time lapse photography!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock