Pennock's Fiero Forum
  FAQs & HowTos
  Refinishing Delaminated GT tailights (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Refinishing Delaminated GT tailights by IMSA GT
Started on: 02-10-2009 01:40 AM
Replies: 91 (14772 views)
Last post by: Tony Kania on 10-25-2015 10:33 AM
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently have been chatting with 86fakegt and he had an issue with his GT taillights...the typical delamination and crazing of the clear lenses. I decided to give him a hand and paint them back to a factory finish look.

The first thing was to set the lenses on my light box so I could really see where I was going to mask the lettering.

I then masked the letters using 1/8" wide 3M vinyl stripe tape.

Then I masked the clear portion with the same tape and since the tape is vinyl, some really nice curves can be made to follow the edges.

You can clearly see the delamination on the left panel. It was really bad.

I then sprayed the black. I used the Auto-Air brand of water based black because it covers very well yet goes on very thin so I would not have a huge edge around the clear portion of the lense. It dries very flat with absolutely no gloss.

Once that dried, 5 coats of urethane was applied.

Here is one of the finished lenses after wetsanding and buffing.

And to give you an idea about the gloss, here is a pic glancing across the "Pontiac". Notice it looks like glass. God I love a good urethane

Also, I wetsanded the clear portion of the lenses to remove any deep scratches with 2000 grit paper and buffed them out. The clear portion also is now flawless.

Anyway, I hope this encourages more of you to do this. It is really pretty easy and you can make your lenses look brand new and never have to worry about delamination again.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 02-10-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fantastic!!! Thanks for the How To.

Would you mind if I add this to my list of How To on my website?

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 02-10-2009).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WTF i remember when i saw them on my new fiero they were delaminated real bad very nice hard to beleave they were once on my GT how much would you charge to do my set of taillights?
fyrebird68

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrebird68Send a Private Message to fyrebird68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work.

Did you spray the clear urethane after you unmasked the letters or before?
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:

Fantastic!!! Thanks for the How To.

Would you mind if I add this to my list of How To on my website?

Go right ahead
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10242 posts
Member since Aug 2007

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

WTF i remember when i saw them on my new fiero they were delaminated real bad very nice hard to beleave they were once on my GT how much would you charge to do my set of taillights?

Are you talking the PISA ones?
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Are you talking the PISA ones?

nah i have a set of actual GT ones i use for inspection purposes that i wouldent mind having restored to there formaer glorey.

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fyrebird68:

Nice work.

Did you spray the clear urethane after you unmasked the letters or before?

I unmasked the letters first and then sprayed the clear over the lettering. It buffs out crystal clear so you never know there is clearcoat on there. Plus, I didn't want to feel any indentation where the letters are....just one smooth tail light. The only area that remained masked was the clear portion of the taillight. The reason was if anything ever happened to the clearcoat in that area, it would be difficult to sand off without damaging the lenses. This way with the lenses bare, you can buff out any scratches from the plastic without worrying about clearcoat.
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That realy looks good!!!

What brand of urethane did you use?

------------------
White 88 GT 5 spd
Red 88 GT Auto
Black 88 Coupe 5 spd (For Sale)

Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Go right ahead

Thanks!!
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BMTFIERO:

That realy looks good!!!

What brand of urethane did you use?

I buy pretty much every thing from www.tcpglobal.com

They have good prices and have the custom paints that I use ( House Of Kolor ). The urethane that I used came in a 3 part kit. It had the clear, hardener, and flow enhancer. It is from their Kustom Shop brand of paints. Here is the link. It is the second one down the list. The 2k Super Flow Polyurethane Clear.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/kspclear.aspx
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2009 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice dude! I don't know why others don't follow your example. Some paint, careful masking, and buffing.... it looks like new. Save yourself some money by doing t your way, plus with a outer clear coating- your protecting the plastic lens from minor scratches. It's a plus-plus in my book.

------------------

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Nice dude! I don't know why others don't follow your example. Some paint, careful masking, and buffing.... it looks like new. Save yourself some money by doing t your way, plus with a outer clear coating- your protecting the plastic lens from minor scratches. It's a plus-plus in my book.

The paint pretty much permanently ends the delamination look....but I took the clear portions and sanded the lenses with 2000 grit paper. Then buffed them out. All the scratches are now gone from the plastic.
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good job that looks very nice

I did the same thing with mine the only difference is that I clear over the whole taillights after unmasking "PONTIAC".
I also sanded the taillamps before spraying the clear, I did not want to have a small edge between the parts I painted black and the parts where it just had clear.
I was very happy with my results.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2009 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:

Thanks!!

Whats the web site address?

DirtRider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DirtRiderSend a Private Message to DirtRiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CC Rider:

Whats the web site address?

http://www.fieros.eu/
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2009 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice job!! Great idea!!

Hats off to you my friend!!
DirtRider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2009 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DirtRiderSend a Private Message to DirtRiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where did you buy all the supplies? I went to advanced auto and they didn't have anything...

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2009 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DirtRider:

Where did you buy all the supplies? I went to advanced auto and they didn't have anything...

I used automotive grade paints. I usually always order from a particular vendor because if I buy paint locally, it is triple the price here in the Bay Area. I buy from TCP Global out of San Diego, Ca.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 02-15-2009).]

DirtRider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2009 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DirtRiderSend a Private Message to DirtRiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow..that is one serious looking site.. Is this something I can use with a spray can or is this all out of a spray gun?? Sorry but I'm a beginner

Thanks man-
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2009 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All of the paint is designed to be sprayed out of a spray gun. I believe you can MAYBE and I say maybe, get away with doing the black in spray can and using a can of Dupont Nason clearcoat in a spray can. I don't know that you will be able to get the gloss like I did without some serious sanding and buffing but I imagine it could be done.
DirtRider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2009 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DirtRiderSend a Private Message to DirtRiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright, I might give that a shot with the spray can. The tops of my tail lights are super faded. If you decide to make business out of it just let us know

Thanks for the help and quick responses
86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2009 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow that is awesome i got my lights cheap and they currently need work. to a previous poster i know either advanced or autozone sells an automotive paint but ive never used it so i dont know of its quality.

------------------

Jarhead 2m4

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine really need to have this done. The delamination is getting worse. I wouldn't dare trust myself with something like this.
86fakegt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2009 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fakegtSend a Private Message to 86fakegtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i got these lights today from ups and i must say these look BETTER then new yes i said better then new. they have a better gloss and look very nice. also it solves the delamination problem. thanks imsa gt. me and him had a discussion about these possibly being up for sale so take a peek in the mall these will be on here for 2-3 days and if they do not sell they will be possibly hitting ebay.
DirtRider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2009 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DirtRiderSend a Private Message to DirtRiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
-IMSA you have a PM-
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice!

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | 87 GT Inside Test Run | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 01
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 04-03-2009).]

FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Out of curiousity why didnt you unmask the outer portion?

Ive fixed some clear plastic head lights by sanding them down smooth with 2000 grit then clear coating them (looks brand new) wouldnt it work just as well and keep the clear even all the way across?

Id imagine you have a "lip" all the way around the clear section now right? or am I mistaken what you ment?
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ttt
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFiend:

Out of curiousity why didnt you unmask the outer portion?

Ive fixed some clear plastic head lights by sanding them down smooth with 2000 grit then clear coating them (looks brand new) wouldnt it work just as well and keep the clear even all the way across?

Id imagine you have a "lip" all the way around the clear section now right? or am I mistaken what you ment?

The only reason that I did not spray the clear portion of the lens is because with paint, if it gets scratched, you can repair it. With just clearcoat on a clear surface, if it gets damaged, it will be difficult to sand and re-clear without getting some distortion in the lens. Plus, I recently did a set for a member who requested that I clear over the entire lens. It looked great until I held it up to the light and noticed one of my cats black hairs ended up in the clear....what do you do now? Fortunately, it was so small that the only way to see it was to look very close at the lens but my point is that it wasn't perfect and that is what I strive for.

As far as a lip around the clear portion of the lens, I actually sand and feather the edge to where you barely feel any trasition between the clear portion and the painted. You CAN feel something but not anywhere as noticeable as you might think.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-04-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for clearin that up, keep up the good work
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-19-2009 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMSA GT, thank you for posting up the know how on how to rid my GT taillights of the dreaded delamination. This has been something that has plagued my 87GT for many a year now. For anyone that has this issue, this is really a great way to rid your taillights of that unsightly delamination. Never again will i have to look at the plastic pealing apart. I would have given you a plus IMSA GT, but I already gave you one for something else.

Thanks again,
Tony

------------------

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wish i saw this thread before i started doing a not as good alternative.
Samohtneas

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could you urethane the notchback tail lights? Mine are constantly being ruined by kicked up rocks, and there are now some marks I can't even polish/sand out.
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2010 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not urithane the clear part of the lense? Rather then having to sand/buff it...
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2010 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

Why not urithane the clear part of the lense? Rather then having to sand/buff it...

I cleared a few sets that I did for people. At first, I needed to get a test set so in case the clear didn't look right, I didn't damage a good set. Since I have tested it, I now clear the entire lens.
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2010 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any way to paint the inside? Or is that more difficult as you would have to remove the rest of the black before spraying...
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2010 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

Any way to paint the inside? Or is that more difficult as you would have to remove the rest of the black before spraying...

Well, you can't remove the black since it is poured in during the manufacture. You can paint the inside of the lens if you want to tint them but you can't remove the black portion just to paint the lens. Now if you wanted to do custom lettering like I did for my IMSA, you can remove the black and re-stencil the letters in black paint:
vrossiter

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vrossiterSend a Private Message to vrossiterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, you remove all the black out of the lens and then restencil the lettering, or do you just remove the lower portion and stencil the 'IMSA'? Have you put up a specific thread about this? How hard would it be to do only 3 letters below the PONTIAC with the split in the tailight? That is awsome, by the way!
Vince
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock