Pennock's Fiero Forum
  FAQs & HowTos
  Refinishing Delaminated GT tailights (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Refinishing Delaminated GT tailights by IMSA GT
Started on: 02-10-2009 01:40 AM
Replies: 91 (14772 views)
Last post by: Tony Kania on 10-25-2015 10:33 AM
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I corrected the post, damn spell check I think, should have read wasn't not was. I thought you were referring to the 3m stuff after the coating was put on.

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 10-25-2013).]

IP: Logged
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! IMSA, how much to do a set of GT lights?
busa_powered

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Wow! IMSA, how much to do a set of GT lights?

Unfortunately I think this guy is gone
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2015 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by busa_powered:

Unfortunately I think this guy is gone

No...still here. I just don't check this thread too often. I've spoken with tshark from the post above via PM. I just don't have the time to do these any more. It got so hectic with my work schedule that the last set I did for a member on here took me about 1 year to finish just because I am rarely home. I just can't take taillights from people on here and keep them for that long not knowing when I will have the time to finish them.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2015 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10242 posts
Member since Aug 2007
Oh.....and trust me, I would LOVE to start doing these again if I had the time. I would probably charge about $150-$200 per set since once this process is done, you would never need another set and they should last for the life of the car....unless you get rear ended

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 02-07-2015).]

Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to tacke this project soon but have lenses the prior owner painted over with a flat black paint. What is the best product to remove the already applied paint and not damage the lens? I did some research and found some use acetone and/or nail polish remover but this was done on body panels. Would these still work on the tailight lens and not damage them?

------------------
Project L67 Fiero

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2015 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jfrost:

I'm going to tacke this project soon but have lenses the prior owner painted over with a flat black paint. What is the best product to remove the already applied paint and not damage the lens? I did some research and found some use acetone and/or nail polish remover but this was done on body panels. Would these still work on the tailight lens and not damage them?

Wetsand the lenses with 800 grit to remove the old paint. The lenses will be a hazy white and it will look like you ruined them but don't worry. Then mask off the letters and the actual lens portion. Spray your black basecoat then remove the masking. Then clearcoat the entire lens including the clear portion. The clearcoat will fill in the micro sanding scratches and the lens will become clear again. Then wetsand with 1000 grit and buff the lenses out just like a new paint job on a car.
Adjustso3

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I kinda have a stupid question. What does delaminated tail lights look like ? Are you guys talking about the dull finish ? I have tail lights on an 84 that are on the dull side but also have some spider web effect cracking in then here and there. Will painting them with clear eliminate this spider web look or will it enhance it ?
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Delamination in this context refers to the GT tail lights where the black piece inside separates from the clear lens and results in the kind of graying out area like the circled area in this pic. Usually the result of sun exposure weakening the bond through UV action or heat. The process described in this thread does not actually repair the damage but covers it from the outside. Notchie tail lights do not have an inner layer to create the same problem.

Adjustso3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply RSVL-RIDER. My tail lights have some spider web looking micro cracks in them. Will wet sanding them down, buffing them, and then clearing them with clear urethane freshen them up ? Also thanks for clearing up the delamination for me. It makes sense now.
Adjustso3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One last question. After the lens is wet sanded and masked is anything used to clean up the residue from the wet sanding ? I was just wondering so the urethane doesn't fish eye or bubble from the lens not being 100% clean. Should it be wiped with paint thinner ? Also when wet sanding should a little dish soap be added to the water or just use water without the soap ? Many thanks in advance.
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2015 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Adjustso3:

One last question. After the lens is wet sanded and masked is anything used to clean up the residue from the wet sanding ? I was just wondering so the urethane doesn't fish eye or bubble from the lens not being 100% clean. Should it be wiped with paint thinner ? Also when wet sanding should a little dish soap be added to the water or just use water without the soap ? Many thanks in advance.

NO PAINT THINNER!

Yes, a bit of Dawn is what I use when wet sanding.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock