Started on: 05-26-2008 10:13 PM
Replies: 53 (8841 views)
Last post by: FieroJuice on 12-21-2015 09:09 PM
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2008 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello here is the install procedures that I use to install my kits. I have done a few so far and just did my Indy today. here we go.

Step one look at that crappy headliner that you have an decide to get it the heck out of your car.

Remove the sunroof gasket by just pulling it out

There are 4 T15 screws holding the dome light up. there are two behind the far light lenses and two at the end of the visors channel

You will then end with this a hanging dome lamp

Disconnect the plug and remove the dome light

Remove the three screws from the visor holders on booth sides

Grab the headliner from the sunroof gasket channel and pull it out. This is where is gets messy. The old foam will just flake out.

Next you need to ask your Pug to move from her riding spot.

Now you only need to remove one side of the panels on the car. This helps when you install the headliner back in as it will hold half up while you work with the other side

On the seatbelt there is a cover.

Pry the over from the bottom and be careful not to break it. there is a small hinge on the top that can break easy. Just flip it up and there is a T45 bolt there.

Remove the bolt

Next there is a LONG screw in the side of the panel. You can see it when the door is open. it is in plain view

Remove the screw

Slide the panel towards the front of the car releasing a pin that holds it to the body of the car. Then pull towards the center of the car

Remove the panel

Pull the trip on top slightly down and towards the outside of the car. this will release two clips

End up with this

In this photo you can see the removed trim on the inside. This old dust itches so I alway try to wear a long sleeve shirt ot keep it off my skin.

This is now for a sunroof car. Remove the one screw that hold the latch cover

Slide the panel out the drivers door and end up with this

Now the key to a good headliner to stay up or a long time is the prep work. Poor prep work will kill your headliner in a week or two. it will fall. There are many ways to prep you liner. In my kits I state to use the sandpaper to clean off the liner. Get a vacuum while you do this to pull off any dust that comes off the car. Now I use a coarse towel for this. it gets everything off. If is a special towel and I don't know where you can get this thing anymore. So use the paper

This will show you a completed boardd with heavy duty tape for the week spots. This liner was in 4 pieces. apply the tape after you sand the cover and end up with this

Apply your spray adhesive to the board and you do not have to use a ton. If you use a ton then what will happen is the foam on the liner will absorb it and the foam will stick to itself and make divots in the liner and they will not come out.

Now slide the cover back into the car and push it into the passengers side trim. and secure it with the dome light.

Then do the same with the sunroof hinge cover. Now I have cut the sunroof whole out in these shots but do this a bit at a time as you put the liner back in. First install the other trim back into the car to hold the liner in place going forward.

Press in the sunroof gasket while you pull the headliner out through the top of the car.

Here you want to use a razor knife to remove the extra material.

Cut at an angle and tuck the remainder of the material in the gasket.

Go all the way around to the other side and cut what you need but not to much. in the corners you will have to put two or three cuts in to make the turn.

Then you are done. Here are the photos from the outside looking at the clean gasket.

Now th completed cover from the inside of the car

Now is a good time to vacuum the car out as there will be dust all over

Total time about 2 hours to complete. Next I will be putting my Visors in and I will add how to do that next time.

Just installed one of my kits and a set of visors in a car and wanted to share. He got this 87gt t-top with no motor for 50 yes I said 50 dollars

Headliner IN

Visors IN

Thank You
Tom

------------------

Indy#64~FieroNews~Boots~Bag s~Wallets~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice write up. + to you. Did you fix the water leaks to keep it from happening again?
DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+ to you!! Great write up!!
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's pretty much how I did mine. I used a different adhesive though. I used Loctite headliner adhesive. 3 coats on each side with 5 minutes drying time. Just a matter of preference.

Very nice product though! I will post a pic of mine tomorrow

------------------
'88 GT- 257rwhp 319rwft/lbs 12.95@106.1mph

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the words guys

Originally posted by topher_time:

Nice write up. + to you. Did you fix the water leaks to keep it from happening again?

for the water I had to work with the gasket that was on the car to seal it back up. I did this a ways back when the car got there and what I did was puff the gasket up in certin areas wit a tuck here and there.

------------------

Visors

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can also look inside of the corner of the sunroof gasket (The rubber on top of the roof) and drill a hole through the roof panel. Just put a 3/16 or 1/4" hole in there. All the water that makes it past the gasket will hit those holes and roll off the frame onto the ground.

HUGE improvement. No more leaks for me.
vballman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vballmanClick Here to visit vballman's HomePageSend a Private Message to vballmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
great write up + for you!
Justin_J

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2008 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Justin_JClick Here to visit Justin_J's HomePageSend a Private Message to Justin_JEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! I've been needing this! + for ya.
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2009 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a little bump for the new folks who might need a bit of help.
Nohbdy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2009 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NohbdySend a Private Message to NohbdyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
great write-up. been needing something like this. id giv u a + but havnt been a member long enough. ill try 2 remember to l8r, and happy new year!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2009 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent article AND you get your girl to help!!!! I'm envious.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great write up I appreciate it. Oh, did you consider adding the coat hooks? Or, did you just want to leave it exactly stock? Minor question yes, but inquiring minds want to know...

Kevin
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not put the hangers in as I thought that it looks better without. To put the hangers in there are two small wholes in the headliner board that you can feal with your hands. put a small hole there and screw away.

Thank you

------------------

Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for the new folks
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2009 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2009 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+ from me too. Really well done.

Arn
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2009 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Next you need to ask your Pug to move from her riding spot.

i had his step at the bottom of the page, and i didnt see the picture yet. i sat there for at least 5 minutes, trying to understand what you meant
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2009 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

i had his step at the bottom of the page, and i didnt see the picture yet. i sat there for at least 5 minutes, trying to understand what you meant

LOL!!!!!!!!

------------------

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2010 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump

------------------
1986 Fiero GT 1992 Subaru SVX 2005 Cobalt with a twist

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for the new folks

------------------
1986 Fiero GT 1997 Supercharged GTP 2005 Cobalt with a twist

grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2010 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very helpful stuff!
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2010 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump

------------------
1984 Indy Pace car 163 Parade car #4 1985 Fiero GT 4speed
1986 Fiero GT 1997 Supercharged GTP
2005 Cobalt with a twist

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump for the new folks

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1994 BMW 530 V8 2005 Cobalt with a twist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice thread.
If I have a non sunroof headliner that is nice and clean, but sags in both coves above the head of the passenger and driver, is there a fix that lasts and dosn't look bad? Or have to replace it?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007
dbl post oops

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-07-2010).]

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice write-up, but here's a hint. I think you'll find the job much easier if you remove the seats, then put them back when the job is done. That's what I did.
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you have to replace it. the foam is falling apart that is what makes it sag

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Nice write-up, but here's a hint. I think you'll find the job much easier if you remove the seats, then put them back when the job is done. That's what I did.

I leave the seats in as there is a place to rest the headliner board when installing. If you take the seats out you risk cracking the board if there is nothing to hold it up with. This is what I have found.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fiero Thomas (edited 11-09-2010).]

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2010 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump for the new PFF folks.

------------------

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2010 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ttt
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ttt for the new guys

------------------
1994 BMW 530 V8 1997 BMW 328

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ttt for the new folks

------------------
1994 BMW 530 V8 1997 BMW 328 85 300ZX

PFF
System Bot
bulldog85043

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2011 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Send a Private Message to bulldog85043Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a great write-up! I have an 86 that has a slightly droopy but not completely falling down liner that I want to spruce up and this will help. What is your opinion of laying a layer of fiberglass on the back side to strengthen the board? Also, I coul dnot tell but was there padding added to the underside of the cloth liner?

Trevor
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ttt

------------------
1997 BMW 328 1984 Porsche 944

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2012 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ttt

------------------
1997 BMW 328 1984 Porsche 944

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2012 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ttt
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've moved it to the new F&H section, but please do not keep bumping it to the top. If people are interested, the thread will find it's way to the top by itself.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While I appreciate a good write up and a nice pat on the back, I would really like to see the majority of these posts deleted by Cliff or maybe the OP or a trusted editor. This stuff is fine while in Tech but when it is ready to move to HT-FAQ it should be stripped down to facts and questions that get answered. Just my opinion.

------------------
Jonathan
23K mile '85 notchie w/ 88 cradle, '87 2.8/Getrag, Air, PW, PDL, PM - Still under construction
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121056.html
I'm not a mechanic but I play one in my garage - me
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely - Lord Acton
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not - Thomas Jefferson
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants - Thomas Jefferson

Macarchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2012 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacarchieSend a Private Message to MacarchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I could really use this info at this time, but the pictures don't load. Any ideas about getting the pictures to go along with the captions? Much thanks in advance.

- Jimmy

------------------
1987 coupe; Metallic Blue; 2.5L; 5spd

jimlong67

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2012 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimlong67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why don't the pictures load???
Macarchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2012 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacarchieSend a Private Message to MacarchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I right-click on the image icon and try to load the image in a separate tab, it gives me a 404 (file not found) error. I suspect the files have been moved or removed from the server.

------------------
1987 coupe; Metallic Blue; 2.5L; 5spd

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay