Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Trash Can
  END OF KIT CARS? (Page 10)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
END OF KIT CARS? by bomaze
Started on: 01-07-2009 01:26 PM
Replies: 592 (27269 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 03-14-2013 09:09 PM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2012 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A Lamborghini replica with a 2.8 engine with badges, really?

"Failure is no accident."-Dr. Phil McGraw

IP: Logged
ferrobi

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2012 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,And on,

Get over it already

Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2012 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is an interesting thread about what Ferrari owners have to say about REPLICAS:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/...wthread.php?t=382038

My personal view is, in the past I have REALLY wanted a Diablo Roadster replica.....really bad, for years infact. I have been near high bidder on several that looked about as real as they can look.
For me now, as much I would love to have a good replica, I get asked all the time if my Ferrari is a kit, I just tell them it is a "Fiero, but I built it using all Ferrari parts"....which seems to confuse most of them nicely.
If I had bought a replica, it would get annoying constantly answering the replica question. However, if I had built the KIT myself, I would be proud to say it was a replica I built. I don't have the skills, space, or time do build something like this. Anyone that has the skill to build something great I am very envious. What a thrill it would be to drive something hand built by yourself.....a definite feeling of pride.
My hats off to anyone with such a vision to pull it off.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Falcon Fiero (edited 09-13-2012).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2012 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Falcon Fiero:

Here is an interesting thread about what Ferrari owners have to say about REPLICAS:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/...wthread.php?t=382038

The best quote of the day, "If you are looking for challenge of building a car from ground up do something 100% original and who knows, might make you a billionaire."-from ferrarichat.com

Seriously, replica companies lack originality and creativity thus the reason for the many horrible watered down copies of today. They have gone from once 70-100k replicas to 6k versions-one for just about anybody in order to have a piece of the Italian dream. Just add a "badge" and that now seems to qualify.

Example:

All that is important is the badging. Forget the notion the replicas is way off the mark.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2012 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok Curly, here is a statement that I don`t think can have a comeback as I`m being perfectly honest.

I want a Lamborghini Diablo replica. I am a poser and I want people to think I have lots of money and that I`m a way cool dude.
I don`t care if they laugh or not as my car will still draw tons of attention wherever I go, that is until they walk away dissapointed that it`s not the real McCoy.
Even then, there may be a few hanger-oners that appreciate the work that went into it.

I`m already sort of a poser as I`m in my mid-50`s and I still play Classic Rock music in a band as if I`m 20 again.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2012 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

Ok Curly, here is a statement that I don`t think can have a comeback as I`m being perfectly honest.

I want a Lamborghini Diablo replica. I am a poser and I want people to think I have lots of money and that I`m a way cool dude.
I don`t care if they laugh or not as my car will still draw tons of attention wherever I go, that is until they walk away dissapointed that it`s not the real McCoy.
Even then, there may be a few hanger-oners that appreciate the work that went into it.

I`m already sort of a poser as I`m in my mid-50`s and I still play Classic Rock music in a band as if I`m 20 again.

I'm a member over there but I didn't login so I didn't see the person's replica-thus I can't respond. However, lets take the man for his word for he said, "Until they walk away disappointed that it's not the real McCoy."-end of quote. That's the same line a transvestite or trans-gender would use after you realize you've been duped.

Lamborghini Diablo is a tough one to pull off. Maybe the replica is the correct size and all and/or one of the higher end replicas? If the replica is similar to the ones on this thread then it's a watered down version horribly made. However in Europe they have some replicas that look like the real car, but here in the America much is to be desired. Viewing the wheels on any replica and you'll find that most skip out and bolt on the cheap knock offs and brakes. At any rate, until you open the deck lid all bets are off. We also don't know what age the people to whom he was speaking too.

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2012 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, you misunderstood, these are my words.
I, personally want to build a Diablo replica one day because I like the way they look, I don`t really care what people think about it and I`m too old to care what people think about it. I`m a poser in so many ways. I just installed an Amida front nose and I get tickled everytime I think that when people see it coming toward them that my car may look like to them a Ferrari FI512 which is what the nose is modeled after.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2012 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No, you misunderstood, these are my words.
I, personally want to build a Diablo replica one day because I like the way they look, I don`t really care what people think about it and I`m too old to care what people think about it. I`m a poser in so many ways. I just installed an Amida front nose and I get tickled everytime I think that when people see it coming toward them that my car may look like to them a Ferrari FI512 which is what the nose is modeled after.

Sorry bout' that. However, the only people I can think of that, "Don't care what people think about them and what they drive," are those who are maybe homeless (living inside car), a hooptie, a beater, and/or thief who's using the car as a get-a-way. As for everybody else, well we all fall in line. Fiero owners may not care what people think about our cars, but the reality is-we do. In the replica world it is no different. Whenever there's a article talking about our cars in a bad light. We all get a bit testy.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2012 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so --How's Archies gt 40 looking?
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2012 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They keep on cranking them out:

"This is not a Fiero, too old, too weak, and too lame."-end of qoute

On A Holden body.
AADrcw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2012 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AADrcwSend a Private Message to AADrcwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

On A Holden body.

Typically I won't post on stuff like this but for someone to build a "replica" and be so worried about wheelbase and width, you would think he would have put "replica" brake calipers on the "replica" brake rotors...

Sorry that was just really bugging me...

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Say what you want. I would rock that. HARD.
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheRealShadowX:

I have seen that car before...I what I read he owns an F40, and an Enzo....bought the smart as a goof.

**EDIT** I take that back, I think it was a BRABUS edition the guy bought....

[This message has been edited by Falcon Fiero (edited 09-20-2012).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheRealShadowX:

And don't forget to rock the badges, hehe.
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And don't forget to rock the badges, hehe.

Yes we all have figured out what you think of badging cars that are not the real thing but come on Simon that is just fun to have a Smart car badged Ferrari I really don’t think anybody would think that this is anything but a Smart car.

------------------

Love The Excitement! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2012 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85SEnochie:

Yes we all have figured out what you think of badging cars that are not the real thing but come on Simon that is just fun to have a Smart car badged Ferrari I really don’t think anybody would think that this is anything but a Smart car.

, hehe.

Expression implied.
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would totally rock this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item2a2377c6bb

crap pics in the ad though.....and what is a boofer?

[This message has been edited by Falcon Fiero (edited 09-28-2012).]

testigo007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for testigo007Send a Private Message to testigo007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

:-o Now they don't have to walk away disappointed that you're a poser... until you get pulled over with them in the car and the cop makes fun of you :-o
http://www.kitcarmagazine.c...0Lambo%20replica.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WdcaALINSQ
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2012 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
THAT is a nice part.

It took some work to get that right.

Archie

Originally posted by testigo007:

:-o Now they don't have to walk away disappointed that you're a poser... until you get pulled over with them in the car and the cop makes fun of you :-o
http://www.kitcarmagazine.c...0Lambo%20replica.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WdcaALINSQ

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post09-28-2012 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tell ya what madcurl..
when I get my FFR daytona coupe, and drop an lsIII and vette 6 speed in it..
I'll race your "real things" and blow their snobie doors off..
PFF
System Bot
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2012 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

On A Holden body.

Kind of funny since the builder of this car disses Fieros. He is a member of one of the kit car forums. He's only 18 years old, and no one there agrees with his choices of chassis or how accurate his cars are. He does seem to have some impressive fiberglass skills though. Whatever makes him happy is fine with me. I don't get why he feels he has to put down Fieros any more than I get your position on replica/kit cars. As far as I'm concerned just do whatever makes you happy.
DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2012 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw a this car and it made me smile.....

some people just like to have fun........they are not really trying to fool anyone.

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a sweet kit from back in 09 Fiero Fest. It is the only kit I have ever seen or been in but sweet nun the less

------------------

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a very sweet, original build !!

http://www.madmechanics.com...-supercar-build.html

I love how he is using G35 taillights, only flipping them upside down. That is a very cool tweek !

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 10-14-2012).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Here is a very sweet, original build !!

http://www.madmechanics.com...-supercar-build.html

I love how he is using G35 taillights, only flipping them upside down. That is a very cool tweek !

Nice Tony. Finally, these numbskulls are building something original and not a watered down version of a super car they've never be able to achive. I like the idea of using a G35 and tweaking it to your own way. Maybe there's hope for them.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-14-2012 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85SEnochie:

This is a sweet kit from back in 09 Fiero Fest. It is the only kit I have ever seen or been in but sweet nun the less

Yeah, and you got locked in. (I took those pics. )

Tony

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Finally, these numbskulls are building something original and not a watered down version of a super car they've never be able to achive.

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Yeah, and you got locked in. (I took those pics. )

Tony

LOL yes it was quite funny I asked Dratts if I could sit in his lambo he said sure and walked off to talk with others and Tony and I agreed that it would be better to close the door for the picture but after taking the pictures I went to open the door to get out and there was no door lever we found out after Tony went to find Dratts that he had remote entry so I was stuck there laughing out myself for a minute or so before he let me out

------------------

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-16-2012 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jailed in a Lambo'. Not a bad punishment.

Tony
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Jailed in a Lambo'. Not a bad punishment.

Tony

I did enjoy it alot and wish I had the skill to build one myself

------------------

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2012 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too funny. The dealer said, "This a 200 mile per hour car. This is not a kit car or poser."-3:30

You know things have gone bad when a used car saleman tells it like it is.
I FAR I

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2012 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I FAR ISend a Private Message to I FAR IEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea, too funny Curly....Not sure how you would be embarrassed to drive in a car that looks great regardless of it's originality and it's particularly humorous to know that a potential buyer must be reminded that the $300k car he is interested in - is in fact real - REAL expensive that is!

Here it is, 25 years after Pontiac decided to sell Meras based on Ferrari 308 body styling and kit cars still haven't died - they've multiplied!
So cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it Curly!

Get with the program guy, because at least when someone builds, buys, or drives a replica, they have made an economic decision based on passion and practicality. If you weren't such an insufferable trolling instigator and confounded slave to badging and authenticity, you'd have been able to realise that not all kits are a bad thing. So you keep driving your piece of **** car and I'll keep driving mine.

I'm impressed with the effort that goes into making something like this, because at the end of the day some people will have cars worth far more than the sum of their parts and appear 10x - 20x more valuable than they actually are, while others will have cars that may be quite expensive, but in actuality are not really worth it.

And you wanna know what's really "too funny" Curly? Those 'kit' cars will always be far more desirable than yours!

LMAO

[This message has been edited by I FAR I (edited 10-21-2012).]

diabloroadster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for diabloroadsterSend a Private Message to diabloroadsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took a few pics of my POS Diablo Roadster "kit car" last night in N. Austin~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/31604886@N08/

Kinda a last minute kind of deal, the car hadnt been washed since last week. Im about to respray the car and install a new drivetrain after xmas, so I kinda wanted some images of the car before I start the make-over. I built this car from a box of parts, using three different Fieros, to painted, running & driving in less than 6 1/2 months, so everything is not as good as I would like it to be.

BTW- These images are taken with the cheapest camera/lens I own, and the images are not finished in editing yet....
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-21-2012 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let's see, quoted Dr. Phil, and a car salesman on the same page?

Whatever you are rolling in, own it!

Tony
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back in the day, almost all Kit Cars or replicas were built on the VW chassis.

When the Fiero came along, it quickly replaced the VW as the popular chassis for reboding.

The kir car rebody industry is what carried the popularity of the Fiero chassis into this Century.

The kit car/ rebody industry, is what drew in people who would develop a lot of the aftermarket parts for our Fiero chassis'

IMHO, the kit car/ rebody industry, is the primary reason that the Fiero chassis & the industry supporting it has lasted thru the last 20 years.

IMHO, without the Kit Car/ rebody industry, the Fiero chassis today would be about as popular as the Chevette is today.

If you all don't mind, let me give you an example.

In these days a lot of people are down on labor unions. People & media & politicians Hate on Labor Unions.

What a lot of people fail to understand is that, even if they've never belonged to a Union, they benefit everyday from the things the organized labor movement has worked on.

Think about it for a minute, if it wasn't for Unions......

There would be no standardized 40 hour work week.
No overtime for more than 40 hours.
No child labor laws
No paid Holidays
No paid vacations
No laws protecting workers rights & health
No company supplied health care
And many more benefits that even non-union employees benefit from today.

None of these benefits were given to workers by the employers out of the generosity of their hearts. Each benefit was brought about by the pressure put on, to make life better, by Unions.

.........Now.......

The same thing goes for the Fiero based Kit car/rebody industry.

If it wasn't for the products, methods & vendors that grew to support the Fiero based Kit car/rebody industry, many of these products, methods & vendors wouldn't be around today to support the Fiero customizations that you are seeing a lot of now-a-days.

Respect your past & it will support your future.

That's what I got to say.

Thanks

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 10-21-2012).]

seafoodlover

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seafoodloverSend a Private Message to seafoodloverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by diabloroadster:

Took a few pics of my POS Diablo Roadster "kit car" last night in N. Austin~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/31604886@N08/

Kinda a last minute kind of deal, the car hadnt been washed since last week. Im about to respray the car and install a new drivetrain after xmas, so I kinda wanted some images of the car before I start the make-over. I built this car from a box of parts, using three different Fieros, to painted, running & driving in less than 6 1/2 months, so everything is not as good as I would like it to be.

BTW- These images are taken with the cheapest camera/lens I own, and the images are not finished in editing yet....

That is one bad ass Diablo!! Very sleek, great job. Thumbs way up!!

ferrobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Back in the day, almost all Kit Cars or replicas were built on the VW chassis.

When the Fiero came along, it quickly replaced the VW as the popular chassis for reboding.

The kir car rebody industry is what carried the popularity of the Fiero chassis into this Century.

The kit car/ rebody industry, is what drew in people who would develop a lot of the aftermarket parts for our Fiero chassis'

IMHO, the kit car/ rebody industry, is the primary reason that the Fiero chassis & the industry supporting it has lasted thru the last 20 years.

IMHO, without the Kit Car/ rebody industry, the Fiero chassis today would be about as popular as the Chevette is today.

If you all don't mind, let me give you an example.

In these days a lot of people are down on labor unions. People & media & politicians Hate on Labor Unions.

What a lot of people fail to understand is that, even if they've never belonged to a Union, they benefit everyday from the things the organized labor movement has worked on.

Think about it for a minute, if it wasn't for Unions......

There would be no standardized 40 hour work week.
No overtime for more than 40 hours.
No child labor laws
No paid Holidays
No paid vacations
No laws protecting workers rights & health
No company supplied health care
And many more benefits that even non-union employees benefit from today.

None of these benefits were given to workers by the employers out of the generosity of their hearts. Each benefit was brought about by the pressure put on, to make life better, by Unions.

.........Now.......

The same thing goes for the Fiero based Kit car/rebody industry.

If it wasn't for the products, methods & vendors that grew to support the Fiero based Kit car/rebody industry, many of these products, methods & vendors wouldn't be around today to support the Fiero customizations that you are seeing a lot of now-a-days.

That's what I got to say.

Thanks

Archie

Finally someone has hit the nail on the head - I agree totally that without the kit/replica industry the fiero and the nice aftermarket parts that are available would probably not exist as strongly as it does still today. Though as of tomorrow I will be without a fiero of any kind in almost 20 years I have great admiration for the fiero in any state rebodied, modified, or stock.

Rob
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The [kit] car rebody industry is what carried the popularity of the Fiero chassis into this Century.

How incredibly surprising and ironic to see the mastermind behind 2/3's of #20's design (wide body, chop top, V8) take the wind out of Madcurl's sails. Bravo Archie.

slicknick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slicknickSend a Private Message to slicknickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't buy that.

We all know that the Fiero is a grab bag of GM parts, so chassis equipment would've always been available. I'd say without kits and whatnot, the Fiero would be a niche car like the Reatta is today. A nice car to see every once in a while that mostly flies under the radar, but definitely supported by off the shelf parts (except those weird Reatta masters). It's unique enough to hold its own, unlike most of the other GM cars form the 80's.

Other than chassis stuff, what does the stock Fiero crowd benefit from kit crowd? Certainly not stock body parts, or equipment that one would use on a restoration. So places like the Fiero store would have performed just was well without the kit car scene. Engine swaps would have happened regardless, they do them in J bodies, they do them in A bodies, they'd have done them in P cars.

Other than ideas for a bunch of fiberglass hacks, I don't see the major contribution.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock