Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Trash Can
  The economy, is it good or bad. (Page 39)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 46 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The economy, is it good or bad. by 84fiero123
Started on: 07-27-2007 10:05 AM
Replies: 1809 (21969 views)
Last post by: Back On Holiday on 11-22-2008 07:23 AM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84Bill:

Yesterdays news Formula... That was then, this is now.

We have a Retail Sales Report due out today which will have an effect on the Market. Lets watch the market together shall we?

Pre Market Trading
S&P 500 -16.70 1403.60 1/15 9:14am
NASDAQ -18.00 1937.00 1/15 9:10am

Open.. and there off!

12638.00-140.15 / -1.10% 9:31am ET

You gonna update that every minute? I posted info from market close. Unless you're a day trader, the minute to minute swings don't mean a whole lot.

Just drives you crazy that not every news article is doom and gloom, huh? The instant I post something, you've gotta find something bad to post. Well, there's plenty of bad news out there if that's all you're looking for.

There's plenty of opportunity out there too, but you're too busy doomsaying to notice.

Enjoy yourself. I'm gonna go make some money in this horrible economy we have.
IP: Logged
84Bill

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
You gonna update that every minute? I posted info from market close. Unless you're a day trader, the minute to minute swings don't mean a whole lot.
There's plenty of opportunity out there too, but you're too busy doomsaying to notice.

Enjoy yourself. I'm gonna go make some money in this horrible economy we have.

Sure, you could make bundles of cash day trading in a volatile market such as it currently is.

Just drives you crazy that not every news article is doom and gloom, huh? The instant I post something, you've gotta find something bad to post. Well, there's plenty of bad news out there if that's all you're looking for.

Uhh... yeah thats it formula...whatever.
Just keep assuming whatever you want about me and I'll just keep doing my thing as well.

To be honest "you people" need to get off this assumptive bash 84Bill bullshit bandwagon. Just keep selling short.

I can assure you that it's not me who has the doom and gloom outlook on things. I'm the economic idiot... remember?

If I'm such an idiot then why do "you people" argue with me as if I'm some powerful force to be done away with? Perhaps you just enjoy putting a beat down on idiots?

Yeah... Me too formula, I especially like the blind, def and dumb ones.

[This message has been edited by 84Bill (edited 01-15-2008).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not arguing - just observing your behavior. Your reaction tells me my impressions were accurate.

84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not arguing - just observing your behavior. Your reaction tells me my impressions were accurate.

Observe my reaction? Yes... thats all well and good if you are trying to gauge me the economic idiot and want to argue some more.

Whats important here in this ECONOMIC thread is not me personally.

Perhaps you should watch is the markets reactions? Maybe observe and try to focus more on that instead of me personally?

Again, it appears you delight in giving a beat down to the forums economic idiot. Not a problem formula, I'm right there with you.

aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Bill,
Look at January 15th of your Word of the Day Calendar. The word of the day is "Martyr". That picture beside the word and definition............Do you get royalties from the company for using your picture?
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aceman:
Hey Bill,
Look at January 15th of your Word of the Day Calendar. The word of the day is "Martyr". That picture beside the word and definition............Do you get royalties from the company for using your picture?

I'd reply on topic but since you have contributed noting to this thread with that post that is on topic, about all I can offer up at this point is this suggestion.
Grow up.
aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yayayayaya, Next will be, "This thread is not about Bill.", "Stop assassinating my character", "Stop trolling me"...
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spaceman:
Yayayayaya, Next will be, "This thread is not about Bill.", "Stop assassinating my character", "Stop trolling me"...

Once again your contribution to the topic is tantamount to a grade school student suffering from an extreme case of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aceman:

Let it go.. For the most part we've been on topic. Last thing we need is another thread killed by people showing Bill where he's wrong.

I know it's tempting to tear him apart personally but for the most part he just copy/pastes the latest gloom and doom message.
Just stick to tearing apart the articles that he posts, for the most part it's been pretty easy.
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look aceman... this is called economic news and thats what this topic is all about... the economy and what is affecting it.

This is having an adverse effect on on the market.
Dow...., 12,579.23 -198.92 / -1.56%
Nasdaq, 2,428.19 -50.11 / -2.02%
S&P...., 1,387.65 -28.60 / -2.02%

Fears grow as consumers pull back further
New figures show that holiday retail sales were worse than many expected.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A new round of economic data released Tuesday show that holiday sales were even worse than many experts had expected - adding to fears that 2008 could be an even more challenging year for retailers.

Sales in November and December rose only 3 percent - softer than its initial forecast of a 4 percent increase, the National Retail Federation (NRF) announced.

By comparison, holiday sales in 2006 rose 4.6 percent over the previous year.

Holiday sales figures are closely watched by economists: The two months account for as much as 50 percent of retailers' annual profits and sales, and consumer spending drives two-thirds of the nation's economy.

The 3 percent increase would also be the slowest pace of growth since 2002, when holiday sales rose just 1.3 percent, according to the NRF.

On Tuesday, the U.S. Commerce Department said total sales fell 0.4 percent in December after gaining 1 percent in November. The drop signals that many Americans, struggling with the housing downturn, higher gas prices and tighter credit conditions, curtailed their spending.

The monthly decline - weaker than forecast - was the biggest since June, when sales fell 0.8 percent. Economists surveyed by Briefing.com had expected retail sales to remain unchanged for the month. November sales, which were revised on Tuesday, were originally reported to have risen 1.2 percent.

Stripping out volatile auto sales, retail sales also fell a weaker-than-expected 0.4 percent versus a revised gain of 1.7 percent in November. November sales were originally reported to have increased 1.8 percent.

Economists, on average, had forecast a monthly decline of 0.1 percent - minus auto purchases.

The weak holiday sales figures are likely to fan fears about recession.

"I don't think this report alone can make the point that we're in full-blown recession," said Michael Niemira, chief economist with the International Council of Shopping Centers. "Certainly the economy is on that slippery slope. When you end the year weak and start the year weak, the concern is that we may not be able to get off that slope."

Adding to that fear, the NRF said Monday that it expects retail sales to grow 3.5 percent in 2008 - the weakest pace of growth in six years.

"Consumers will be under financial stress from high energy costs, the fallout from the housing slump, and sluggish employment and income growth," said Rosalind Wells, NRF chief economist.

"Shoppers will seek to pay down debt, spend more in line with income growth, and approach discretionary purchases with more restraint," she said.

The government report showed that the worst performers were clothing stores, which registered a 2 percent sales decline last month, and electronics sales, which fell 1.9 percent. Sales at department stores fell 0.4 percent.

Elsewhere, sales at gasoline stations fell 1.7 percent and building materials sales plunged 2.9 percent.

However, sellers of food and beverages logged a 0.7 percent increase and furniture stores also escaped the broad downturn to post a 0.6 percent sales gain last month
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

84Bill

21085 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by Uaana:
Last thing we need is another thread killed by people showing Bill where he's wrong.

Umm yeah.. after all thats what this thread is all about isnt it Uaana... proving that 84Bill is not just wrong but the economic idiot?

I know it's tempting to tear him apart personally but for the most part he just copy/pastes the latest gloom and doom message.
Just stick to tearing apart the articles that he posts, for the most part it's been pretty easy.

Yes, I'm the cut-n-paste king posting economic news... Here is a cut-n-paste from yesterday.

I understand that it is dificult to grasp what an "indicator" is but the basic explanation is they are forward views into growth.

If "normal" growth were to continue then the reports need to show growth equal to or greater than expected for the economy to be making any real headway. Each year business crop up, people who work get raises and buy things so growth has a fairly predictable rate. When that growth falls under that prediction then there is a "potential" problem which facilitates further problems in the market such as people selling their stocks to maintain spending. When companies lose value thru income of the sales of their stocks & combine that a drop in product sales they dont have the money or "stock leverage" to borrow against to self sustain and then must lay off. The reason they lay off is to make their books look like they are in the black which is "true" but is not an accurate "indication" of their economic health and purchasing power.

So when the indicators show growth it doesnt mean that the growth has any real meaning if it falls short of the mark. Market speculators have already indicated that due to the "reduced growth" there appears to be a problem. Combine that with massive infusions of money into the market and interest rate cuts to keep it from crashing is further proof that the economy is in a weakened condition.

The doom and gloom as everyone puts it is a warning. Its very similar to "red skies morning, sailors warning."
Prepare for the storm or just say screw it and press on as if nothing will happen as the good ship U.S.economy rounds the horn.

PFF
System Bot
Uaana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Look aceman... this is called economic news and thats what this topic is all about... the economy and what is affecting it.

This is having an adverse effect on on the market.
Dow...., 12,579.23 -198.92 / -1.56%
Nasdaq, 2,428.19 -50.11 / -2.02%
S&P...., 1,387.65 -28.60 / -2.02%

Day to Day numbers now.. why not do min by min for the day traders? BTW where were the numbers at close last fri?

Re-wrote this for you.
Sales in November and December rose 3 percent -
The 3 percent increase
"I don't think this report alone can make the point that we're in full-blown recession,"
The NRF said Monday that it expects retail sales to grow 3.5 percent in 2008
"Shoppers will seek to pay down debt, spend more in line with income growth, and approach discretionary purchases with more restraint,"
Sellers of food and beverages logged a 0.7 percent increase and furniture stores also escaped the broad downturn to post a 0.6 percent sales gain last month

Uaana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Uaana

6570 posts
Member since Dec 1999

Umm yeah.. after all thats what this thread is all about isnt it Uaana... proving that 84Bill is not just wrong but the economic idiot?

The doom and gloom as everyone puts it is a warning. Its very similar to "red skies morning, sailors warning."
Prepare for the storm or just say screw it and press on as if nothing will happen as the good ship U.S.economy rounds the horn.

Nope, just showing that the news you're posting is written to raise fears and is not always as bad as the rhetoric in it makes it out to be.
As I said to Steve, most of this news you guys have been posting is a good warning, gives people an idea of where to save or shift money too.
True, the economy has been better, but it's also been a hella lot worse.
Again.. just look at the long term numbers, we might be in a slight dip.. but nothing to start jumping out of windows over.

84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

True, the economy has been better, but it's also been a hella lot worse.
Again.. just look at the long term numbers, we might be in a slight dip.. but nothing to start jumping out of windows over.

Yet.

Want to post your prognostications on what the fed will do to keep those people from jumping out of them windows?
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

84Bill

21085 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Re-wrote this for you.
Sales in November and December rose 3 percent -
The 3 percent increase
"I don't think this report alone can make the point that we're in full-blown recession,"
The NRF said Monday that it expects retail sales to grow 3.5 percent in 2008
"Shoppers will seek to pay down debt, spend more in line with income growth, and approach discretionary purchases with more restraint,"
Sellers of food and beverages logged a 0.7 percent increase and furniture stores also escaped the broad downturn to post a 0.6 percent sales gain last month

LOL

Perfect time to repost my cut-n-paste.

I understand that it is dificult to grasp what an "indicator" is but the basic explanation is they are forward views into growth.

If "normal" growth were to continue then the reports need to show growth equal to or greater than expected for the economy to be making any real headway. Each year business crop up, people who work get raises and buy things so growth has a fairly predictable rate. When that growth falls under that prediction (indication) then there is a "potential" problem which facilitates further problems in the market such as people selling their stocks to maintain spending. When companies lose value thru income of the sales of their stocks & combine that a drop in product sales they dont have the money or "stock leverage" to borrow against to self sustain and then must lay off. The reason they lay off is to make their books look like they are in the black which is "true" but is not an accurate "indication" of their economic health and purchasing power.

So when the indicators show growth it doesnt mean that the growth has any real meaning if it falls short of the mark. Market speculators have already indicated that due to the "reduced growth" there appears to be a problem. Combine that with massive infusions of money into the market and interest rate cuts to keep it from crashing is further proof that the economy is in a weakened condition.

Uaana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well there is a pretty easy and quick fix to the "problem" get the pres/house/senate to cut taxes across the board by 5%.
Submit a budget that has cuts in it instead of pork spending.

The Fed cutting interest rates is a short term solution while we wait for our lawmakers to get off their ass and do something other than pass resolutions against Rush Limbaugh
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Discussion of the economy is good. But if all the thread ends up being is a copy and paste of selected news stories, wouldn't an RSS feed be easier and more efficient?
Uaana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yet.

Want to post your prognostications on what the fed will do to keep those people from jumping out of them windows?

I know this wont go over well..

But Bill..is there anything good in your life? Just noticing that all your posts seem to be about how the US sucks, Economy sucks, VA/Military Sucks, .. see the trend?
I'm not exactly Mr. Happy.. but damn dude.. you make me sound like a Buddist/Krishna/Stuart Smiley
Uaana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Uaana

6570 posts
Member since Dec 1999

Discussion of the economy is good. But if all the thread ends up being is a copy and paste of selected news stories, wouldn't an RSS feed be easier and more efficient?

What's the feed for "everything in the US sucks"?

Is it from a French or Canadian blog?
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What's the feed for "everything in the US sucks"?

84Bill
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well there is a pretty easy and quick fix to the "problem" get the pres/house/senate to cut taxes across the board by 5%.
Submit a budget that has cuts in it instead of pork spending.

The Fed cutting interest rates is a short term solution while we wait for our lawmakers to get off their ass and do something other than pass resolutions against Rush Limbaugh

Ahh.. I agree 100% But wait, do you mean give handouts to the public?

Sounds like a good plan. How much and how long?

With a weak dollar it will need to be more than a few hundred dollars spread out over a year.
In the long term America could take advantage of the weak dollar (it will be weak for a very long time) by exporting but the problem is it will take a few years to "tool up" and re-establish an industry that has been all but sold off to other parts of the world.

The Industrial Production indicator will likely trend with slightly better than predicted growth (to be released on Jan 16th). Which is good because that will mean investors will flock to it tomorrow causing a major up swing in the market.... I predict a good 1.5% gain in the Dow after todays carnage.

The problem is consumer spending as "inflation shot up in 2007 by the largest amount in 26 years." People need money and badly... So how much and for how long do you throw the American public a handout?
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an alarm clock, which had a error in the LEDS. all the 5's would display as 6's.
so, at 5:55, 5:56, 6:55 & 6:56 AM & PM my clock would display 6:66
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by My Personal Super Hero Uaana:
I know this wont go over well..

Wow.. a flash of pure genius.

But Bill..is there anything good in your life? Just noticing that all your posts seem to be about how the US sucks, Economy sucks, VA/Military Sucks, .. see the trend?
I'm not exactly Mr. Happy.. but damn dude.. you make me sound like a Buddist/Krishna/Stuart Smiley

My reply would be on topic but since your post has once again drifted to ad-homenim which effectivle hijacks an economic thread and turns it into a "look how pathetic 84Bill is", I feel at this time I would have much better luck explaining the answers to those questions to a 3 year old child with ADHD.
aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread isn't about Bill.
aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

aceman

4899 posts
Member since Feb 2003
Stop assassinating his character!
aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

aceman

4899 posts
Member since Feb 2003
Stop Trolling him.
aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

aceman

4899 posts
Member since Feb 2003
We don't need these ad-homenim (Bill's favorite word from the word of the day calendar) attacks

There, I saved you a bunch of time!
aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

aceman

4899 posts
Member since Feb 2003

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

I had an alarm clock, which had a error in the LEDS. all the 5's would display as 6's.
so, at 5:55, 5:56, 6:55 & 6:56 AM & PM my clock would display 6:66

That would defy the saying....."A broken clock is right only twice a day."

84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes.. aceman... and in other economic related news...

Anyone have any idea what this will do to the value of the American dollar?

I know one thing for sure... people wont be jumping out of windows today.. lets watch the market respond..
DOW 12,573.38 -204.77 / -1.60% Jan 15 12:14pm ET †
NAS 2,431.79 -46.51 / -1.88%
S&P 1,389.69 -26.56 / -1.88%

US Dollar = 1.02 Canadian Dollar
US Dollar = 0.67 Euro
US Dollar = 108.01 Japanese Yen

Fed auctions $30B at lower interest
The third Federal Reserve auction aids credit markets, interest drops to 3.95%

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Federal Reserve, working to combat the effects of a serious credit crisis, said Tuesday it had auctioned $30 billion in funds to commercial banks at an interest rate of 3.95 percent.
10:53 AM EST

It marked the third in a series of innovative auctions the Fed began last month as a way to provide cash-strapped banks with the reserves they need. The hope is that the increase in resources will keep banks lending to consumers and businesses and prevent the credit turmoil that hit in August from pushing the country into a recession.

There are indications the Fed's efforts are having an impact. The 3.95 percent interest rate was the lowest of any of the three auctions it has held. The other two auctions saw rates of 4.65 percent and 4.67 percent.

Last week, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said the auctions so far have been successful and he indicated that they would continue for as long as they were needed. He said that these auctions might become "a useful permanent addition to the Fed's tool box" of strategies it can employ at times when the credit markets have seized up.
The Fed to the rescue

Bernanke, in a Washington speech, said that before the new auctions are made permanent, the Fed would seek public comment on how they should be designed so that they can be best used by financial institutions.

There is one more auction scheduled for Jan. 28 but the Fed has already said it will announce later this month details of auctions it expects to hold in February.

The new auction process was unveiled by the Fed in mid-December in a coordinated action with other central banks around the world trying to address a global credit crunch.

The Fed decided to try the new process because their efforts to inject funds into the banking system through the Fed's discount window, which makes loans to banks, had proven less successful than Fed officials had hoped.

Many banks had avoided using the discount window out of concern that investors would see the move as an indication of underlying problems at their financial institutions.

The auction process was developed as an alternative way to get money into the banking system with the hopes that it would not carry the perceived stigma of the discount window.

84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

84Bill

21085 posts
Member since Apr 2001
Awwww...

Poor CEO's. Bilked the American public of billions and stuffed it into their own pockets while the banks over extended credit and now the well is running dry.

CEO confidence hits 7 year low
The Conference Board says bleak economic conditions have eroded business leader's confidence.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The weakening U.S. economy has driven confidence among the nation's chief executives to a seven-year low, according to the Conference Board's Measure of CEO Confidence.

The measure fell to 39 in the final quarter of 2007, sinking lower after falling to 44 in the third quarter of last year. The measure had not gone below 40 since the final quarter of 2000 when it hit 31.

"Given continued trouble in the housing and credit markets, persistent volatility in financial markets and increases in energy prices, it's not surprising that confidence has eroded," said Lynn Franco, Director of The Conference Board Consumer Research Center.

The measure found that only 7 percent of CEOs think economic conditions have improved since the third quarter, when 14 percent said conditions were looking better.

The outlook over the next six months is even worse. Currently, 16 percent of business leaders expect economic conditions to improve in the next six months, down from 20 percent last quarter, according to the Conference Board.

"Looking ahead, the majority of business leaders expect these lackluster economic conditions to prevail throughout the first half of 2008," Franco said.

Jeaz....
Banks going bankrupt, CEO's looking out their top floor windows reminsing about the good old days..... How sad. :::sigh... t::::

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do not understand the point of this thread. If the economy is good, good. If the economy is bad, so what ? Go out and fix it. Spend some money.
My economy is in my back pocket. Nothing a little work, smart investing, frugality, and innovation won't fix. 'Ya know, at times it is rougher. Which I am thankful for. It just causes adjustments in my thinkings. The economy, love, luck....life itself...ebbs and flows. Forty pages of what the definition of is is is rediculous. Read that again.
PFF
System Bot
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here ya go Formula88... Buy accordingly... I'm still selling short.

Dow -216.31 -1.69% 12,561.84
NASDAQ -54.75 -2.21% 2,423.55
S&P -29.86 -2.11% 1,386.39
DJ Wilshire 5000 -299.33 -2.11% 13,887.06
Russell 2000 -16.39 -2.30% 696.09
Philadelphia Semiconductor -9.03 -2.48% 355.62
Dow Transports -58.18 -1.36% 4,224.33
Dow Utilities -2.42 -0.44% 543.28
NYSE Composite -240.01 -2.54% 9,199.33
AMEX Composite -62.30 -2.63% 2,306.36
Morningstar Index -64.74 -1.89% 3,362.00

Ohh... buying back... here comes the Fed news.

Uaana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here ya go Formula88... Buy accordingly... I'm still selling short.

Ohh... buying back... here comes the Fed news.

?? Waiting for Cheddar to recover, or going long term with American?.. Please tell me you're not dipping into the Gouda market.. very risky.

sorry tried to be nice and reasonable.. the previous question was just that. A question not an attack..
But since you seem so set on being snarky.. well guess I'll just learn to ignore your posts and try and stay on topic..
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

?? Waiting for Cheddar to recover, or going long term with American?.. Please tell me you're not dipping into the Gouda market.. very risky.

Life is risky.. you were in the military so you of all people should know that life is meaningless.

I sold Cheddar long then snapped up a ton or two just a bit ago, Just taking a moment to count my green cheese while I wait to buy that American... The day is long... I figure I'll go out and grab me a three cheese pizza.

Make that a apple.

sorry tried to be nice and reasonable.. the previous question was just that. A question not an attack..
But since you seem so set on being snarky.. well guess I'll just learn to ignore your posts and try and stay on topic..

Right... I'm looking at your trends as I type this.. Not very strong in my confidence department. I'll invest penny wise and see what returns I get from the investment.

Uaana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Life is risky.. you were in the military so you of all people should know that life is meaningless.

What military were you in?
Their lives might be meaningless, but sorry My fireteam came first and they all came home!
Sorry you weren't a team leader, maybe for the best but my crew came first. Ate before I did, slept before I did, reload before me.

I'm going to go with Ace on this.. you sound like an UnSat.. But even with that if you were in my crew you we're first for food and resupply. Might have gotten a few smacks aside the head.. oh.. never mind.. you were zoomie/aircrew.. never had to learn discipline.

Sorry those of us out on on the pointy part of the spear have a slightly different view of life than pogues.

Uaana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Uaana

6570 posts
Member since Dec 1999

Do you try and be this stupid?
Life is precious!.. Good god every man I've been in charge of had a life!
The one KIA our company had tore me up because I knew him, he was just recently married. There was nothing meaningless there!
Simply put F U.. flipping pogue, REMF, guard turd..
God.. I really wish I could drag you through the life/zones I've been in.. maybe then you'd have a flipping clue.. at the very least I'd get to smack you on the head for being stupid.
]

Never mind.. go whine about how this is personal.. and blah blah blah.. Sick of your whining trash

Uaana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Uaana

6570 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Steve .. sorry this got off topic..

But some things need to be addressed when they happen.

Bill crossed a personal line for me.. apologies to the thread.
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by My Personal Super Hero Uaanus:
What military were you in?
Their lives might be meaningless, but sorry My fireteam came first and they all came home!
Sorry you weren't a team leader, maybe for the best but my crew came first. Ate before I did, slept before I did, reload before me.

I'm going to go with Ace on this.. you sound like an UnSat.. But even with that if you were in my crew you we're first for food and resupply. Might have gotten a few smacks aside the head.. oh.. never mind.. you were zoomie/aircrew.. never had to learn discipline.

Sorry those of us out on on the pointy part of the spear have a slightly different view of life than pogues.

Damn Uaana... Still suffering from that development disorder ADHA...
Jeaz... and here I had all the faith in the world that you would come around and lay off the ad-hominem. I kinda figured you were a worthless POS when it came to discussing anything other than 84Bill which you apparently are one of several authorities on the topic... Not including myself that is. even threw a penny in the wishing well. Bah.. No matter.

Oh and BTW
I'm at present I am involuntarily serving in the armed forces of United Socialist Republic of Global America.
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

84Bill

21085 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Do you try and be this stupid?
Life is precious!.. Good god every man I've been in charge of had a life!
The one KIA our company had tore me up because I knew him, he was just recently married. There was nothing meaningless there!
Simply put F U.. flipping pogue, REMF, guard turd..
God.. I really wish I could drag you through the life/zones I've been in.. maybe then you'd have a flipping clue.. at the very least I'd get to smack you on the head for being stupid.

Never mind.. go whine about how this is personal.. and blah blah blah.. Sick of your whining trash

Life is precious only if it is yours and as long as all other life forms agree with you or what you are fighting for huh?

I honestly feel for you Uaana. Flashbacks suck ass big time so if you want to yak about it by all means start another thread. I wont get involved because I have no real world experience on the topic of loss other than my own... which apparently is meaningless to everyone but myself.. what the hell am I thinking, you already know everything about 84Bill there is to know.... silly me.
Uaana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bill Rant
Oh and BTW
I'm at present I am involuntarily serving in the armed forces of United Socialist Republic of Global America.

If you want to talk finance/economy fine.
Sorry you haven't earned the right to discuss vets, combat, etc.
Yes you served, bonus point.. but never in a combat zone.. for you doggie types.. No Combat Infantry Badge.
If I were in the Army i'd have earned 2+.. and wasnt a "specalist".. I was a Corporal, fire team leader
Rank earned, not given through a test.
You hit a nerve with me.. this is something I wont relax on.

I knew LCpl Walbran, I went drinking with him, messed with him in the barracks, You will not diminish his life.

Bill.. I've put up with your **** in the past.. but this goes too far for me... trying to reign in the rest

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 46 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock