Started on: 07-26-2004 01:17 AM
Replies: 283 (7654 views)
Last post by: FieroGTguy on 09-30-2004 01:06 AM
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 04:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mastermind:

In otherwords, it was made to haul azz. But I already know that since I own one.

BTW Certain members hate 4.9s as if they got embarrassed by one still in a big Caddy.

I just worked on a 4.9 PFI caddy for someone and I would bet that it would beat a stock Fiero V6 manual in the 1/4. The thing had plenty of low end grunt BEFORE I changed the trans to apparently a stiffer geared one 3.33 ? and before it would effortlessly cruise at 80 with plenty of pickup . Now it is noticably quicker.

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 08-31-2004).]

IP: Logged
86fieroEarl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Punisher:

I tried calling you Earl. I am ready to do this. Get this thing settled once and for all. Check your voicemail.

Here's teh pm I sent you

Phone number is call me tommorrow near 9am to 2pm..... I work a 3rd shift starting at 9:30 pm all the way up to 800am so im mostly up in the daytime.... If on the weekend I can meet you halfway or what not because im off on weekends.

You called at 4:46pm That was on caller ID.... There's a reason I said between those times is because I work a 9 to 11 hour nightshifts I waited till 3pm then said the heck with it im hitting the sack before work.... Since your name is on caller ID I will be calling you today at 11 Am to comfirm our race location and a fitting time around both our work sche. Weekends are the only times I don't have to work and have free time.... I already got the area picked out anyway..... hopefuly there's no cops because if were caught going over 120 mph That is a auto 4years jail time and you lose your car. My work sche changes and shifts all the time.... Sometimes I go in early sometimes not.

Better yet if on the weekend We can certainly hit biffilo track..... It's 25bucks for 2 runs. Im more scared of jail time and fines then racing a 2.8
You say your car does 14.1 in ETA Then this will be cool because if I win then my car will be faster than 14.1 sec

Kento can vouch for my work sche....

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 09-28-2006).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

86fieroEarl

2203 posts
Member since Jun 2002
And to make it fair.... Here's a pic of my engine bay.... When we do race your welcome to take another look at it so there's no excuses or no reason Not to race me. You offered to race me and you live in florida soo race me on my schel around work please.

as you can see in the pics this thing is bone stock.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 08-31-2004).]

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

I just worked on a 4.9 PFI caddy for someone and I would bet that it would beat a stock Fiero V6 manual in the 1/4.

Yup. Linenoise took me, and his time in the high 14's was about 1/2 sec faster than my best time with my 2.8L 4 speed Muncie. He is now almost a full sec faster with the stock 4.9 and tranny.

Arn

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You know if you just waited and saved a little longer you could have had the sbc.

Not really because I dont half ass anything. I do it rite. My SBC, if I could have one, would be an LT1 at least. So I would need at least 10k because I dont have the place or time to do
an install myself. I knew you where going to say this though. So predictable.

Want to know whats funny? Is that after you get done with your 4.9 swap, is that if you go and race your accord, you will lose to it from a roll.

There you go assuming again. My car with my 3.4 could beat my Accord. I had my brother race me in it. The 4.9 has more HP and loads more torque than the 3.4.

And I am not assuming you will lose if I race you, I know you will lose be it you dont' haev any major engine work done to it IE nitrous. Its simple really. You dont' haev much for a power curve with that 4.9. Its not much about peak numbers, its about the curve. And I will say my curve on nitrous is brutal compared to a 4.9. Its simple really. When you get your 4.9 swap done, drive it on up to central florida. I will shake your hand and we can go race and you can buy me a victory beer afterwards. I have no problem with you. I just have a problem with people thinking this swap is the cats pajamas. Its not. Everyone has posted high 14's at the track with a 4.9 and auto tranny and fairly stock motor

Assuming again. My car is a 5speed for one, and there is a box full of goodies arriving today from Summit Racing. Oh and it's not NOS and I'll be able to rev better.

Still assume I will loose?

[This message has been edited by Black-Azz-GT (edited 08-31-2004).]

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2004 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going to buy my ticket for a front row seat to this unprecedented once in a lifetime championship fight
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just have a problem with people thinking this swap is the cats pajamas. Its not. Everyone has posted high 14's at the track with a 4.9 and auto tranny and fairly stock motor.

From that quote it seems your talking about me Please find anywhere I said the 4.9 was the cats pajamas or I thougt it was? Only thing I saw was more 4.9 bashing..... After awhile it gets very old.... About the high 14 times.... I wanted to make it clear that all 4.9s don't do mid or high 14s I know for a fact the 4.9 is capable of doing better and will still back my words up with that. Plus buget wise It can't get any better than that...... Let's add this up

The 2.8

Rebuild atleast $1500 and yes I believe in rebuilding a engine before you dump nitrous oxide into it.
Another $500bucks for that putting the 2.8 at $2000 bucks
Then you got headers, Intake, Ect
Now im way over my $3000 dollar limit.

To me budget wise it was not the choice for me.
Please prove me wrong and if you win I will shake your hand and buy you a beer..... If I win then I would hope for you to do the same..... Let's keep this fun.

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to see some times for the stock 4.9 with the Gehtrag tranny.

I've been seeing alot of auto times, and I am pretty confident the times would drop quite a bit with the either the 4 or 5 speed gear boxes and somebody who can shift well.

As for NOS, sure you can pull out some ponies, but it will use up a stock motor pretty fast and it isn't the same as achieving hp through mechanical work. Respect to all concerned.

I think I'd like to see the results too.

Arn

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I'd like to see some times for the stock 4.9 with the Gehtrag tranny.

I've been seeing alot of auto times, and I am pretty confident the times would drop quite a bit with the either the 4 or 5 speed gear boxes and somebody who can shift well.

Arn

You will see some soon enouph. I cant promise to be stock though. We just received a box from Summit racing containing 7 parts. I guess there are bolt ons if you know what you are doing.

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2004 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would just like to add a few things to this mix concerning the 4.9 swap,I try not to debate this subject so as to avoid the argueing just like any other swaps they have their strength and weaknesses but the unique thing about a 4.9 is the performance that is gained for so little $$$ invested over a stock 2.8.If you have never driven one then you are in no position to judge or critique it's ability based on what others say also some cars will perform better than some depending on the setup,like gearing,suspension and so on how a stock 2.8with a 50 shot of nitro will not stand a chance even from a rolling start.
My car even without nitrous will turn high 12's so it not all about spray but since I wanted that extra edge on the street or track that is my ace card and it is just like adding a turbo or supercharger "FORCED INDUCTION" the only difference is the turbo and supercharger is constant power unlike the nitrous which is power on demand so if your engine was tired and you added any of the above the life span will be short as opposed to a fresh motor but although the after market parte are limited for this motor basic hot rod technology still applies but at a price some may not be willing to pay for the extra performance ...............they are satisfied with what they have. I have a 4.9 car that I am working on as we speak that will turn 13's with out nitrous and still be a terror on the street with bolt on parts and tuning and will be ready in a week or so and still have room for improvement but most of all it is not about 3.4 TDC, 3.8SC or SBC it is respect for what you like for a swap in your Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Master Tuner Akimoto (edited 08-31-2004).]

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off

Punisher, the one I meet in Toronto. I do not appreciate your abuse of my earned reputation when you say you are quoting me. Just because we talked on Sunday at a car show does not give you permission to use my name as you will. I would never talk down the value or cost that anyone has paid me to install an engine. Especially the engine I my self have chosen to use and abuse whenever the car is used on the track. I also would never say that a 2.8 on NOS is an exceptable combo for reliability or consider as a usable racing modification for any lenght of time. We run a stock (worn out) never rebuilt bottem end 4.9 down the track with over 330 rwhp, stock never replaced from factory pistons/rings and crank (175 000 k), the engine has been ported and a turbo camshaft installed along with different valve train to handle the regound camshaft (that cost $70.00 us to be reground) Any way you look at it if you spray 100 hp of NOS to a 140 hp V6 you will get 240 hp. If you spray 100 hp worth of NOS to a 205 hp V8 you will get 305 hp which is still far less hp than our 4.9 is handling daily. So what kind of a point is a NOS 2.8 against something without nos, because you can just keep turning up the NOS untill you have to sweep up the parts, I have seen video of a quad4 Grand am running 10's with nos does that impress you too? I do not have anything against NOS overall but if I met someone at the track running impressive times with NOS against someone who is running equal times without NOS, using but only sweet, brains and time in thier engine than you know how I would be talking to longer after the race regarding whats under the hood.

I really don't know what to say to you Punisher, I have little use for arguing because I have nothing to prove to you. I am just surprised that the adult I talked to on Sunday is the same kid I am now having to replie to here. I wish the best to you on your project with your time and your money and your decision. Have some respect for others, I know you can in person!

Pete

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd like to see some times for the stock 4.9 with the Gehtrag tranny.Arn

I am picking one up today to put some sail panels in- will G-Tech quarter mile times be okay? I don't think Bob will mind if I flog his car for him.

Greg

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welp.... Looks like I lose from technical mechanical problems No I did not race him yet unfortunatly...... Here's the thread pertaining to it.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/045188.html

If the problem is not as bad as it looks then im still on for this weekend. If it is then Im going to have to be looking for a replacement 4.9.... So to punisher, Dont think for a sec I tried backing out of this because when this is fixed it's still On against your friend.

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cooter:

I am picking one up today to put some sail panels in- will G-Tech quarter mile times be okay? I don't think Bob will mind if I flog his car for him.

Greg

Cool. I hope you can get some good runs in.

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NyFiero. I could care less about your brother. And yup this rod knockin 6 banger is going to beat a v8 fiero. But I geuss the real tuner to you is the person who installs a 4.9 right? When you get done with your 4.9 bring it on down and I will run you too. I have no problem using a pound of nitrous to hand it to you as well. wouldnt' it be funny if I beat you with a rod knocking 2.8? Oh my how would you be able to live with the shame? Go back home to say you got beat by a rod knocking v6. I don't think you would ever be able to get another g/f again.

Where to begin......
You know what...I think I will not begin....
I do not believe it's not worth my time...
your rating bar directly reflects your intelligence.
done.

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NY_FIERO

1554 posts
Member since May 2002

Originally posted by Black88GT:

The 4.9 was made to haul old fat people around in their 5,000 lb Caddy's. It is far from a race motor.

That's true ....
so was the n* ?

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NY_FIERO:

Where to begin......
You know what...I think I will not begin....
I do not believe it's not worth my time...
your rating bar directly reflects your intelligence.
done.

ROLF..... + for you..... That made my day, I needed that laugh.

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any luck with that oil cooler line yet?
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not yet.... I wont beable to start on that till thursday.... Because we just got another hurican warning so im going to be working extra longer hours

The line will be easy..... cleaning up the oil from the driveway and sidewalk will be the pain.

The Punisher

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 433
User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2004 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Taht stinks about the oil line. Glad to see its nothing major which means we are still on right?

its 11:30 and still no call. But I am guessing you are working on the car

And waht kind of bump would be in the middle of the road on teh way to the junkyard that is hard enough to gash a oil line but not visible by a driver?

Its my thought it was rubbing for quite sometime and it was going to happen whether you hit a bump or not.

Lets still do this. Oil line is easy to fix. Should be back up in less then a day.

SH

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Earl, please forgive my ignorance on this, but I don't recognize that piece of equipment under your air cleaner.

Just curious, what model is it?

Arn

Originally posted by 86fieroEarl:

And to make it fair.... Here's a pic of my engine bay.... When we do race your welcome to take another look at it so there's no excuses or no reason Not to race me. You offered to race me and you live in florida soo race me on my schel around work please.

as you can see in the pics this thing is bone stock.

PFF
System Bot
Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Earl, please forgive my ignorance on this, but I don't recognize that piece of equipment under your air cleaner.

Just curious, what model is it?

Arn

I'm gonna SLAP YOU!!!! Part # 4412

The Punisher

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2004 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Master Tuner Akimoto:

but the unique thing about a 4.9 is the performance that is gained for so little $$$ invested over a stock 2.8.If you have never driven one then you are in no position to judge or critique it's ability based on what others say also some cars will perform better than some depending on the setup,like gearing,suspension and so on how a stock 2.8with a 50 shot of nitro will not stand a chance even from a rolling start.

Thats kind of funny because everyone that talks about final $$ numbers is always saying around $2500. I have seen more then one person post this as well. This doesnt' seem like so little money to me in comparison. And also my old 85 GT auto with a 50 shot was turning mid 14's at 90 mph. That was on a 50 shot but ran a 70 shot most of the time to get me into the low 14's. I haev seen 4.9's with the auto trannys hit 90 mph trap speeds too. So how can a 85 gt with nothing but a 50 shot of nitrous not hang with a 4.9 from a roll when we have the exact same trap speeds? To me that means it would be dead even all the way to 90 mph.

And black azz gt, why dont' you tell us what your 7 bolt ons are? I mean real bolt ons made by aftermarket companies for the 4.9. Not generic speed parts from Summit. Noone has yet to be able to answer my question as to name just 4 aftermarket bolt on parts for the 4.9.

Originally posted by 86fieroEarl:
The 2.8

Rebuild atleast $1500 and yes I believe in rebuilding a engine before you dump nitrous oxide into it.
Another $500bucks for that putting the 2.8 at $2000 bucks
Then you got headers, Intake, Ect
Now im way over my $3000 dollar limit.

Here is the thing. I posted that you can put in a completely new GM 2.8 AND nitrous all for under $900. I however got flamed real good for it from the nonbelievers. Its kind of funny cause some of the people were 4.9 owners but of course not all of them were. So you can do a new 2.8 for less then $1500. You dont' have to add headers, and you dont' have to add intake work. Just install a new fresh engine. My new fresh engine will be less the $500. Also you dont' need to rebuild an engine to handle nitrous although you can. As long as the compression is good in all cylinders its just like adding a turbo.

I am sure if I had a turbo I wouldnt' be getting this much flack. If I had a 2.8 with a turbo I prob wouldnt' be getting so much hate but because its nitrous and not full time power, there is this big stigma that the hp gains aren't real and blah blah blah.

NY Fiero: nice retort from you as always. But my offer still stands. Bring your 4.9 swap down here when its done and you can buy a round of victory beers for me and my mates. Daytona show would be a perfect excuse to bring it here. And yea the n star was made to drive old people around but come on man its a totally different engine. 300 hp 4 cams, huge powerband and great top end. Lots of aftermarket for it. The 4.6 n star was a detuned race engine that GM threw into a caddy and had to limit the hp so as it not to be faster then a corvette or on par with one. Think about it. A nstar can fit in grand prixs. But they arent' doing that till now, and now that gm is doing it, they are detuning the motor AGAIN! Down to 275 from the 320 that they make in the caddies now. I mean the 300 hp n star was able to get a 4500 lb caddy to 60 in 6.7 seconds. If you rolled up next to one of those in most sport compact cars you would lose!! Also the n star has more top end pull then a nissan 350Z. This has been proven by JM on his way to Miami in a rented Caddy.

And Arns thats the carb that he swapped onto his 4.9

Edit: Oh yea I haev been reviewing dyno charts of the 4.9 and my 2.8 on nitrous beats them all from this website here http://www.etrackmasters.com/dynocharts.htm#Pont Now throw in the 2.97 gears or whatever it is in teh auto tranny and you will see that it wont' have much for top end. Torque wins from a light. HP wins from a roll. From a roll I have more hp and I have better gearing. Do the math people

SH

------------------
JM / SH

I gotta have more cowbell!!!

[This message has been edited by The Punisher (edited 08-31-2004).]

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you own a fiero?
Does it or has it ever run?
can we see pics and time slips?
Are you a subaru salesman?
Car detailer?
Service Writer?
Floor cleaner?

I hope your boss knows that your on the net all day long...
BTW Being an IT director...( IOS cert MCSA cert RHCE cert)
maybe I'll tell your IT guy how to firewall you out of this forum.
This is my last post on this thread
I may not even do a 4.9 ...
I may do an archie kit.... but I can RESPECT a built or stock 2.5, 2.8, 4.5, 4.9, 305, 350, N*...
Go back to work.

[This message has been edited by NY_FIERO (edited 08-31-2004).]

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla, Bla

My seven mods are not 4.9 specific. Still mods though. Your NOS kit is not fiero specific either.
the same.
This $900 shite is stupid. You got some good deals that dont come along often. That does not mean every one can get 200hp for 900 with a new 2.8. As a matter of fact,
we all know that fiero bolt ons are grossly over priced. When you blow up your 2.8 and put this new one in your going to start racking up the $$$ too unless you do it half assed,
and not replace Mounts, hoses, belts, spark plugs, wires, and so on. Oh look, you conveniently left that part out. That is why no one likes you and flams you. You're a dumb ass on the computer. Hopefully in reality, you are more of a man.

------------------
-Chris -
Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 4.9 V8 5spd

Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kento:

I'm gonna SLAP YOU!!!! Part # 4412

LOL

Mine is the 7448, flat track racing model with no choke - the little 350 cfm.

BTW, here is a nice mistake for the books.

I got the carb with a #31 shooter, 6.5 power valve, and #66 jets which made the mix too rich for a 2.8. (it lost power big time)

Soooo...... I put in a #25 shooter, too lean, then a #28 shooter just right, and #60 jets. My vacuum at idle went up to 16 but I got some bucking and bogging at 1/2 throttle, so I changed power valve to 8.5 (the one it should have had) Of course when I installed the power valve I got the gasket a little off center. daaa.......

My fuel pressure was about 8 psi (max for Holley) so when I started the engine the power valve gasket promptly flooded the engine, creating hydraulic pressure in #6 cyl and blowing my head gasket.

So here I am part way through a new head gasket install.

Teedle dee and teedle dumb....

BTW, under full throttle that tach really jumped with the #60's! Can't wait to have it back on the road.

Arn

The Punisher

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2004 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black-Azz-GT:

My seven mods are not 4.9 specific. Still mods though. Your NOS kit is not fiero specific either.
the same.
This $900 shite is stupid. You got some good deals that dont come along often. That does not mean every one can get 200hp for 900 with a new 2.8. As a matter of fact,
we all know that fiero bolt ons are grossly over priced. When you blow up your 2.8 ....

here is my nitrous kit. Please read it
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=esearch.asp&N=100&Ntk=PartSearch&Ntt=NOs-05120&x=0&y=0
You just got Pwn3d!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1oneoneone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now please stop posting in this thread before you continue to embarras yourself.

yes I did get some good deals. But it shows it can be done. People have done a 4.9 swap for less then $2500 but that doesn't mean everyone can now can it? But you hear that a lot from people. I did a 4.9 swap for $1k and you can too or else you are getting ripped off!!!!!!

Why dont' you keep telling Linenoise he is going to blow up his 4.9 when he adds nitrous. I mean if nitrous can blow up a 2.8 it can blow up a 4.9 too right? Sure it can. But I dotn' see you saying to linenoise when he said he was getting nitrous that its going to blow up. You congratulated him and told him to show you how to be more like him. Give me a break.

SH

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

here is my nitrous kit. Please read it
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=esearch.asp&N=100&Ntk= PartSearch&Ntt=NOs-05120&x=0&y=0
You just got Pwn3d!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1oneoneone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now please stop posting in this thread before you continue to embarras yourself.

yes I did get some good deals. But it shows it can be done. People have done a 4.9 swap for less then $2500 but that doesn't mean everyone can now can it? But you hear that a lot from people. I did a 4.9 swap for $1k and you can too or else you are getting ripped off!!!!!!

Why dont' you keep telling Linenoise he is going to blow up his 4.9 when he adds nitrous. I mean if nitrous can blow up a 2.8 it can blow up a 4.9 too right? Sure it can. But I dotn' see you saying to linenoise when he said he was getting nitrous that its going to blow up. You congratulated him and told him to show you how to be more like him. Give me a break.

SH

I dont talk to him that way because he is a man, your not. He doesnt post in people's thread that his 4.9 with NOS can beat some one elses swap that costs twice as much. In other words you deserve it. You think you know everything and dont. You assume everything and you get behind a keybord and think you are hard. That's why you get flamed and others dont. As a matter of fact, your the only person I argue with, because I like it and I think I can win the arguement and beat your ugly car. So I am not embarrissing myself. I'm enjoying myself.

Prove that is the kit you have. I assume that you probably got a hacked up kit from ebay. That one says 100 - 150 HP. Your running a 70 shot. That means you would have bought another part making your cost go up even more.

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Black-Azz-GT

2326 posts
Member since Oct 2003
BTW - I called summit and that kit is $508. That is $108 over your $400 claim. Puts your price now over $1000 and you havnt even bought Mounts, hoses, belts, spark plugs, wires, and so on. Oh and are you gonna slap that motor togather with no gaskets?

Not looking like the best Idea or the cheapest after all.

The Punisher

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2004 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Prove that is the kit you have. I assume that you probably got a hacked up kit from ebay. That one says 100 - 150 HP. Your running a 70 shot. That means you would have bought another part making your cost go up even more.

Wernt' you just bagging on me for "assuming" things about you? Now you are actually using the word "assume" in your sentance. Hahahahah You are the biggest Hypocrit 3V4R!!!! And you got totally own3d by my posting that link. YOu can't back away from that now.

This just shows you know nothing about nitrous. yes the kit does say 100-150 hp but thats the upper limit. It doesnt' come with jets to add that much hp. The kit comes with directions that state what jets add what amount of hp. The jets I got were for a 70. And even if it did say 100-150 I can easily take it down to a 70 shot by buying a $5 nitrous jet!!! Oh my god that extra $5 just broke the budget on my soon to be 4.9 swap!!! I guess I have to stick to the 2.8.

Want to know what would be even funnier? Is if you drove up here to central florida, got beat my my "tired" 2.8 and then I then went on to tell you that this nitrous kit is a hacked up ebay special!! How sorry would you feel then that I didnt' even buy a real nitrous kit I just hacked parts togethor and was still able to lay the smack down on you. I mean for real. Would you rather me say I beat you with a nitrosu kit I bought from Summit, or would you rather have me say I bought a hacked up ebay special nitrous kit and still beat you. What would you rather hear?

its no wonder your 3.4 was such a turd. You had no idea how to get it to perform well. You were told it had ported heads, you were also told it had a custom cam. Did you spec the cam or know what actual custom cam was in it? Did the guy give you flow numgers on the heads or show you pics of the port work when you bought the car? Or did you just believe it when he said they were ported. And what did ported mean to him? A valve job and maybe a gasket match? Sorry thats not port work. And you never took it to the race track so you never really knew just how fast it was right?

What is your point here in this thread? I dont' really think you have a definate stance in here other then to argue with me be it whatever I say. i coudl probably say the sky is blue and you would argue with me. ARe you against 2.8's? ARe you against 3.4's? Are you against 2.8's with nitrous? Are you against any form of forced induction in general? What is your whole point in this thread?

Mine is that I know that my 2.8 with nitrous can beat a stock 4.9 auto. thats been my stance from the beginning. Just what is your position in this thread?

The Punisher

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2004 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Punisher

1253 posts
Member since Jul 2004

BTW - I called summit and that kit is $508. That is $108 over your $400 claim. Puts your price now over $1000 and you havnt even bought Mounts, hoses, belts, spark plugs, wires, and so on. Oh and are you gonna slap that motor togather with no gaskets?

Not looking like the best Idea or the cheapest after all.

I am gladded you called summit. Thats great. Good for you. However on teh website it says $560 for the nitrous kit. yea it says call to order but if you click on the link with the part number in it, it shows the price and a pic of the kit.

That is the kit that is on my car RIGHT NOW!

I did buy a direct port NX kit on ebay so yea thats an ebay special. However the kit was brand NEW still in the wrapping!!!! So its not a hacked up POS. This will be going on my new engine. You really need to start comprehending stuff I post instead of just reading it.

And why would I need to buy mounts and hoses and belts and all this other stuff you are talking about?? All that stuff is still working perfectly on my car and in great shape so why would I have to buy new ones? I think you have me confused with your own self and your swap with you needing to buy all these parts.

My new engine, shortblock, new cam, gaskets, and direct port kit, EVERYTHING for the new motor will fall in under $900. This is for a 2.8 with nitrous that will put out over 220 whp!!! So yea it is looking like a pretty good deal.

Look I am sorry that you werent' able to get your 3.4 to really perform but I never did hear you say that you took it to a dyno and got some real actual tuning done on it. Thats your own fault right there buddy. You blame the engine for not performing but it was you who is at fault not the engine. you didnt' take the time to look into why you thought it might have been down on power. Instead you threw it to the side and thought a 200 hp v8 was the better deal.

PFF
System Bot
Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wernt' you just bagging on me for "assuming" things about you? Now you are actually using the word "assume" in your sentance. Hahahahah You are the biggest Hypocrit 3V4R!!!! And you got totally own3d by my posting that link. YOu can't back away from that now.

This just shows you know nothing about nitrous. yes the kit does say 100-150 hp but thats the upper limit. It doesnt' come with jets to add that much hp. The kit comes with directions that state what jets add what amount of hp. The jets I got were for a 70. And even if it did say 100-150 I can easily take it down to a 70 shot by buying a $5 nitrous jet!!! Oh my god that extra $5 just broke the budget on my soon to be 4.9 swap!!! I guess I have to stick to the 2.8.

Want to know what would be even funnier? Is if you drove up here to central florida, got beat my my "tired" 2.8 and then I then went on to tell you that this nitrous kit is a hacked up ebay special!! How sorry would you feel then that I didnt' even buy a real nitrous kit I just hacked parts togethor and was still able to lay the smack down on you. I mean for real. Would you rather me say I beat you with a nitrosu kit I bought from Summit, or would you rather have me say I bought a hacked up ebay special nitrous kit and still beat you. What would you rather hear?

its no wonder your 3.4 was such a turd. You had no idea how to get it to perform well. You were told it had ported heads, you were also told it had a custom cam. Did you spec the cam or know what actual custom cam was in it? Did the guy give you flow numgers on the heads or show you pics of the port work when you bought the car? Or did you just believe it when he said they were ported. And what did ported mean to him? A valve job and maybe a gasket match? Sorry thats not port work. And you never took it to the race track so you never really knew just how fast it was right?

What is your point here in this thread? I dont' really think you have a definate stance in here other then to argue with me be it whatever I say. i coudl probably say the sky is blue and you would argue with me. ARe you against 2.8's? ARe you against 3.4's? Are you against 2.8's with nitrous? Are you against any form of forced induction in general? What is your whole point in this thread?

Mine is that I know that my 2.8 with nitrous can beat a stock 4.9 auto. thats been my stance from the beginning. Just what is your position in this thread?

My sentence in this thread is...... Your a looser.

When I typed the word assume it was sarcasm. That link owned you not me. Now everyone is seeing that you are a lier as well as a fool. Your swap is costing more and more.
I do know about NOS. I had a 150 shot on my stang and a small shot my on my Beretta. That is why I seid you bought another part further proving that it cost more than you lied about.

So what if your NOS 2.8 can beat a stock 4.9. That is yet to be seen.

How can you assume my 3.4 was a Turd? Sound like you are envious. When I put that thing up for sale, I had offers all over the place. How do I know what was done to it? I have receipts for EVERYTHING and I document everything I did to it. That's why it pulled over a grand in the first hour it was advertised. That's proof.

My point in this thread is to point out all your BS and to point out the obvious, being that your Turd 2.8 with nos will be MUCH more than $900 when you swap it.

Also do I hate 2.8's? no Forced induction? Are you crazy?

The Punisher

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2004 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NY_FIERO:

Do you own a fiero?
Does it or has it ever run?
can we see pics and time slips?
Are you a subaru salesman?
Car detailer?
Service Writer?
Floor cleaner?

I hope your boss knows that your on the net all day long...
BTW Being an IT director...( IOS cert MCSA cert RHCE cert)
maybe I'll tell your IT guy how to firewall you out of this forum.
This is my last post on this thread
I may not even do a 4.9 ...
I may do an archie kit.... but I can RESPECT a built or stock 2.5, 2.8, 4.5, 4.9, 305, 350, N*...
Go back to work.

#1 The Punisher is 2 People. Shaun Hammitt & J.McCreery

Here is my Fiero Project.(JMcCreery) The car ran for 7 years and was driven @ 100's of autocrosses and track events before the northstar.

Here is my nitrous setup.

Here is my Direct port Caddy manifold.. it's going to be a 125 wet shot

The car is an 86 GT which has never seen a winter , I bought it with 18,000 miles on it.

Upgrades
Koni's
coilovers
11.25" brakes (if you search this forum you will find I have helped out tons of people with this swap
braided lines
1.25" rear sway bar
1" front bar

Lots and Lots of other stuff.

The northstar project has brought many other upgrades

I graduated with 2 degrees in automotive marketing from University

The Daily Driver as many have seen is an M3 , I also have a 2002 Mini Cooper I use for track events. Please don't even attempt to degrade me by playing up the fact that your an all powerful Computer geek. i didn't get to where I am easily @ 26 I do quite well for myself.

Shauns main issue is that everyone tosses the 2.8 and brags about how much more power the 4.9 has. He has showed Dyno charts illustrating this fallacy. You can look @ the 1/4 mile list and see that Shaun is # 1 in the 14 sec club with a stock 2.8 and nitrous (50 shot) . What real investment was made in this car? Cost of the stock 85 GT , Nitrous kit , cold air induction and a full stock exhaust. Shauns car on a 50 shot laid down @ 144 @ the wheels. There are 4.9's on that Dyno list that don't make that. He is trying to illustrate a point , and it seems as though it has been lost in senseless arguements over the 4.9's potential. Does the 4.9 have potential..yes... is it easily tapped into with over the counter speed parts .........no. The 2.8 (60 degree) family has more available parts than the 4.9. Look at x-thumpr-x's 3400 install. His car ran mid 14's on a bone stock 3400. Makes you think doesn't it.?

I don't querstiont he longevity of the 4.9 , but for all of you who praise it up and down as the ultimate motor , give your head a shake. Powerwise it's the equivalent of a 2.8 with 2 more cylinders. There both Mules . Even shaun will tell you his 2.8 with minor mods is a TURD.

PBJ (and hopefully linenoise will follow) have realized the limitations of the motor and capitalized on them with a Turbo (and in linenoise case a nitrous setup) I have no doubt the 4.9 can handle nitrous (PBJ has 175K on his shortblock!!)

In this day and age of automobiles 14.9's isn't Impressive at all. When you can get a 4 door subaru Legacy that will crack off 0 60 in 5. 3 secs and run high 13's 14.9's seems anemic. Hell you can even Buy a Subaru Forester that will outrun most 4.9's.... Sad , But true.

This forum seems so skewed by people who have seemingly only ever driven one fast car in their life. They think they have built a world beater when infact many showroom cars would out accelerate , outbrake and outcorner them with ease. It's nothing to get upset about , it is just progression. Its too bad some of you are so nieve to think you would roll with cars like a Z06 or a new Cobra.. there is only one 4.9 that would do that...and it's driven by a girl.. FORSHAME!!

Jonathan McCreery

scrabblegod

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scrabblegodSend a Private Message to scrabblegodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Punisher insist:
"Thats kind of funny because everyone that talks about final $$ numbers is always saying around $2500. I have seen more then one person post this as well."

I have posted my build up several times and total cost icluding the car was 1200.00. I have driven it for a year now without a problem. People who know me can tell you every mile put on my car is under extreme duty. I built it to autocross and beat on in general.

I am starting another 4.9 swap next week for a member on the board and I can assure you the total cost for his swap including labor will be under 1600.00.

Punisher also harped on about:
"Noone has yet to be able to answer my question as to name just 4 aftermarket bolt on parts for the 4.9."

I am not sure why you split "generic" from specific bolt on parts, but for 90.00 you can have a cam shipped to your door. I consider that pretty specific. However, hot rodders for years have been creative when there is sometning needed that is not available at the local parts house. This does however require some ingenuity and ability.

Is my 4.9 the fastest car in town? NO. It does however fill my current needs, and the 4.9 I am building (oh wait, you can not build one with out aftermarket bolt-ons.) will will it even better.

Gene

------------------
87 Notchie 4.9
87 SE 3.4TDC swap in progress
87 Notchie Pontiac 428 longitudinal coming soon

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jonathan McCreery

See, that last post was not bad at all? I dont even know who I was arguing with. Why dont you guys just give people some respect. You insult people and jump into threads putting people and there car down.

That is a nice car you have. Why dont you guys use a different approach? And get some respect that you may deserv?

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
scrabblegod

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scrabblegodSend a Private Message to scrabblegodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

See, that last post was not bad at all? I dont even know who I was arguing with. Why dont you guys just give people some respect. You insult people and jump into threads putting people and there car down.

That is a nice car you have. Why dont you guys use a different approach? And get some respect that you may deserv?

Why don't you guys use different Id's and save the bipolar confusion.

Gene

The Punisher

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2004 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My sentence in this thread is...... Your a looser.

I am humbled by your superior wisdom and use of two syllable words.

That link owned you not me. Now everyone is seeing that you are a lier as well as a fool. Your swap is costing more and more.

Umm no the post OWN3D YOU!. My god man you dont' even know why I posted the link!!! You said that my nitrous kit was NOT a Fiero specific kit. I posted the link say that my current kit on my car now IS Fiero specific and not just a general off the shelf speed part. I mean it lists Fiero right in the product description. I didnt' post it to show the cost of it. Jeezus man wake up. And besides I didnt' pay $500 for the kit either. I paid much less. You keep talking about costs of my new engine build. WTF man. You expect me to add in all the other stuff too? SO I guess in my dollar figures for my ENGINE build I should add in what I bougth the car for? Or also the new tires I put on it? Or the suspension work I did? Or the gauge face plate I bought? And the new Rodney select cable? Should I add all that cost into my NEW ENGINE build when I already bought these parts a long time ago? Give it a rest.

My new engine complete with direct port nx kit will be less then $900!!!!!!! Get that through your head. NEW ENGINE!!! Not that I had to put a new waterpump in 10k miles ago to add onto the cost.

So what if your NOS 2.8 can beat a stock 4.9.

Isn't that why you originally started bashing me in this post? Is because you said taht I couldnt'? Now you are saying "so what" if I do? ARe you like John Kerrys brother or soemthing? You keep flipping sides and can't take a definitive stance on anything.

How can you assume my 3.4 was a Turd? Sound like you are envious. When I put that thing up for sale, I had offers all over the place. How do I know what was done to it? I have receipts for EVERYTHING and I document everything I did to it. That's why it pulled over a grand in the first hour it was advertised. That's proof.

Dude you talked about it not giving the kind of hp and performance in threads of yours. You even said it didnt' feel all that fast for a 3.4 after all the mods you put on it. So I am not assuming anythign there. You said so yourself. And why would I be jealous of a 3.4 engine that someone else isnt' happy with? If my 2.8 made no power for the amount of money I had in it would you be envious? That makes no sense. Also why would you swap to a different motor if you were completely happy with the way yours was performing? You have reciepts for everything you had done. Do you have reciepts for the port work taht was done by the previous owner? or the reciepts for the cam that was used with the specs on it? If so post them up. I want to see just what kind of power it could have been making. Also just because you got $1k for your engine doesnt' mean that it was making tons of power. I dotn' understand how you made that correlation.

My point in this thread is to point out all your BS and to point out the obvious, being that your Turd 2.8 with nos will be MUCH more than $900 when you swap it.

The new engine will not be more then $900 includding the nitrous kit. And after that it wont' be much of a turd anymore. My stock engine in it off the bottle right now is a turd. I am not afraid to say it. But the new engine with a larger cam and head work, will be far from a turd on the bottle. Conservatively I see about 220 WHEEL hp out of it. Not bad for $900. But whatever if you still think that this 2.8 will still be a turd then drive your 4.9 swap up here and we can see just how much of a turd it really is.

did you even read my post with the link to the 4.9 dynos? I will say it again. My little turd 2.8 puts out more hp and torque after 3k rpm then those 4.9's on that webpage. Not only does it put out more hp and torque, it does it all the way to 6k rpm. From a roll on like Earl wants to try it from my car will have no problem winning.

Do the math please. 88 5 spd, with more torq and hp from 3k on up against a 86 SE with auto tranny and less hp and torq from 3k up. Hp wins roll on races. Tq wins light to light.

EDIT:

SH

[This message has been edited by The Punisher (edited 08-31-2004).]

The Punisher

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2004 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Punisher

1253 posts
Member since Jul 2004

Originally posted by scrabblegod:

I have posted my build up several times and total cost icluding the car was 1200.00. I have driven it for a year now without a problem. People who know me can tell you every mile put on my car is under extreme duty. I built it to autocross and beat on in general.

I

Gene

See thats great. I am not going to harp on you and call you a liar for doing it much cheaper then everyone else. you got some great deals on some parts and thats awesome. But at the same time, you can't say taht everyone can do it for that price. Of course not everyone can. Others have spent well more then that.

I got some great deals too so there should be no difference. But Black azz seems to think so. However I post that I can do a $900 2.8 brand new with NX direct port kit for cheap and I get people coming out of the woodwork calling me a liar and so full of it.

thats fine with me. Call me a liar all you want while you are checking to make sure my brakes lights are working.

SH

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SH

Okay now I see who each of you are. SH is a looser. Your friend actualy gained some respect.

In this thread, I never argued that your car can beat a stock 4.9 because I'm not sure. I posted only this.

I'll race him when I come that way for the fantasy of flight cruise in.

Then you replied with your usual BS and insults and such. And about the cost of your swap. When people are saying that they paid x amount to install
there 4.9 they are including everything. Not just the engine, and NOS in your case. You are the one slamming people and acting a fool. I dont think I read were
anyone claimed that the 4.9 was the best swap. I seem to remember you being the the one starting all of this sayintg that the 4.9 is a stupid swap.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock