Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Trash Can
  How about we get rid of that "click here to load pic" thing (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
How about we get rid of that "click here to load pic" thing by donk316
Started on: 09-12-2004 06:16 AM
Replies: 85 (1968 views)
Last post by: Lex on 09-19-2004 07:18 PM
donk316

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2004 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cmon! This is dumb! I was gonna post some pics, then i thought....naah cause the clicky thing is dumb.

If your still on dial up you shouldnt be cruising the forum cause dialup is for lepers.

If the post says *pics inside* then be prepared! Now it looks like a page load malfunction.

Just my monthly rant...

All my pics are on a photobucket account so its no skin off Cliffs nose if the pics are linked.

PHOTOBUCKET IS FREE FOR EVERYONE SO THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR PEOPLE NOT TO LINK THEIR OWN PICS.

------------------
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by donk316 (edited 09-12-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to get rid of the click here icon, make the picture smaller. The fact that all areas do not have broadband access does not make those that are on dial up lepers.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I have dialup and I dont have a problem with it.

1. I get it for free, usually at 52k bps.
2. If your in that big a hurry to get to every page, you need a life.
3. Had RR for 1 week till I called them to come take it back out.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donk316:

Cmon! This is dumb! I was gonna post some pics, then i thought....naah cause the clicky thing is dumb.

It's even dumber if you can't be bothered getting your pics under 100K. It's even dumber if you think having an animation of someone's boobs in your sig is cool. It's even dumber if you think offering people a choice wether or not they want to load an image over 100K is dumb.

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's even dumber if the rest of us don't just go ahead and vote donk the rest of the way out of here.
linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

It's even dumber if the rest of us don't just go ahead and vote donk the rest of the way out of here.

Now that that made me chuckle.

ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At the risk of voicing with the minority... It does kinda bother me as well. A lot of times it happens in build up threads, and you end up having to click on 20 different images to see what's going on. Being the lazy type, maybe there should be an option to click in your cookie preferences - "Dialup/don't show pics over 100k or Fast/show all pics"... Just an idea.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually! I like the feature. The larger file size pictures open up on a new window, is something I like. I like viewing pictures on white backgrounds for some reason.

lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i'm a leper? cool!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
C'mon guys...
Microsoft Paint is probably on 90% of every computer in the world.
It takes about 15 seconds to resize a pic. Jeesh.
Now if it's something that NEEDS all that detail and resolution, like a how-to thread, I don't mind clicking the "clicky thing".
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much easier can it get? Are you on Windows XP? Download this:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResi zerPowertoySetup.exe

It lets you resize pics by right-clicking on the pic.
There's not much reason to have pics over 100k in the forum. If they're that big, they're probably so large as to make people have to scroll back and forth to read the thread.

I think it's a simple solution to a recurring problem and I'm glad Cliff implemented it.

Besides, Cliff has asked that people keep sig pics to 30k or less. Donk's "small" pic is over that (barely) and he wants to add another 229k + pic just to have a pic of boobies in his sig? It's people like that who make me wish Cliff would do away with sig pics altogether.

That pic doesn't even have ANYTHING to do with a Fiero. It's a useless waste of bandwidth. If I want to look at boobies, I don't try to find them on a car forum.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 09-12-2004).]

JazzMan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2004 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 12-04-2008).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't be fooled, Jazz.
Your pictures are superb.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2004 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 12-04-2008).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As one of the 'unclean', I am on dialup, have never encountered this "click to load picture", and haven't had problems viewing any threads other than that image heavy 'Gwen Stefani' thread. I must be doing something unleperish.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, the obvious answer is to make sure the file is under 100KB. It isn't really difficult, ya know. You can resize it, play with the resolution, and use different types of compression (JPG, GIF, PNG, etc). Many photo editing programs can do that stuff, and some are free! So you really have no excuse, aside from laziness.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have a look at this example I made.
jetman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edit,,,,
This is a readers digest version of what I posted without the rant.
I like pictures and picture sigs and can understand long load times in engine build threads and "show me your" threads.
I do like the new 100K limit to speed up loading.
I don't agree with the folks who tell me that I'm in the stone age and must get a high speed ISP to accommodate their desire to post massive sigs or pics.
I am sorry that I ranted, please forgive me. I was only irked at the perceived callous indifference to the load times of large pictures.

[This message has been edited by jetman (edited 09-13-2004).]

shop_rat45

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shop_rat45Send a Private Message to shop_rat45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would it be possible to atomatically make a thumbnail of the the oversize pic as a link? I don't know if a program could be written to do that or not. Just an idea. BTW, I still love ya Donk. You prick!

Kris

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2004 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about a 12k thumbnail linked to a 235k picture file??

{url=http://whatever.com/largepicture.jpg} {img}http://whatever.com/thumbnail.jpg{/img} {/url}

PFF
System Bot
84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2004 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shop_rat45:

Would it be possible to atomatically make a thumbnail of the the oversize pic as a link? I don't know if a program could be written to do that or not. Just an idea. BTW, I still love ya Donk. You prick!

Kris

Heh.. ya beat me to it.

Fformula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am on dialup and never was bothered too much with pic load times, but the 100K limit with the click icon is also a great idea. Sometimes it is inconvenient to have to wait for 25 pictures all over 100K in one thread to load. Especially if you have seen them already and are back online the next day to check what else was said in a thread. This way if anyone really wants to see it, just click. If your on cable or DSL, it should pop right up. No big deal. If your on dialup, you can pick and chose.

The forum is for everyone, not some T1 elites. Nobody should be told that they are lepers because they have a slower connection.

Resize your pics.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetman:
Maybe we can get a link to a couple of simple freeware utilities that can resize pictures.

Already done. Look at my earlier post in this thread. It's for XP, but Micro$oft may have versions for other versions of Windoze.
You just right click on the pic and select your size. That's so easy to do there really isn't a reason not to resize your large pics.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Already done. Look at my earlier post in this thread. It's for XP, but Micro$oft may have versions for other versions of Windoze.
You just right click on the pic and select your size. That's so easy to do there really isn't a reason not to resize your large pics.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResi zerPowertoySetup.exe

I meant to tell you "thanks" earlier, and got sidetracked.

So, "Thanks!"

That little applet is even easier than MS Paint.

Jaygee79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2004 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jaygee79Send a Private Message to Jaygee79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

It's even dumber if you can't be bothered getting your pics under 100K. It's even dumber if you think having an animation of someone's boobs in your sig is cool. It's even dumber if you think offering people a choice wether or not they want to load an image over 100K is dumb.

There you go. The man has spoken

donk316

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2004 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jesus, If this forum got any more anal retentive Id swear the admin was a computer nerd....oh wait...

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2004 04:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jesus, If this forum got any more anal retentive Id swear the admin was a computer nerd....oh wait...

And for some reason, you feel right at home here.

donk316

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-13-2004 05:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dont flatter yourself buddy, I'd hardly call this a "homey" forum.

And stop trolling please, either be an Admin or troll...but dont try and be both cause God knows you suck at either one.

Why didnt you say you didnt like boobies! I can post something more....up your alley.

[This message has been edited by donk316 (edited 09-13-2004).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2004 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bye and my first neg to someone for being an azz.
donk316

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-13-2004 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well since your gonna hand me a neg cause I stated my mind, I think I should earn it fair and square.

Roger, I'd hate to be you. Old, own a rebodied fiero (and trying to convince yourself over and over its real) and hang out at "hooters" so people think im truly cool. Its truly sad... Funny thing is, many folks say this but are afraid to tell you. Well guess what, Im not afraid to post old news.

Ive never had a beef with you, nor have I even posted in one of your threads (that I can remember) but you mosey in here and lay down a neg cause you figure im an a$$? Whos the real a$$ buddy?

Bring it Roger "over compensation" Garrison.

PFF
System Bot
donk316

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-13-2004 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

donk316

1952 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by 84Bill:

How about a 12k thumbnail linked to a 235k picture file??

{url=http://whatever.com/largepicture.jpg} {img}http://whatever.com/thumbnail.jpg{/img} {/url}

I like this idea. It keeps the pics in context and keeps the bandwidth police happy. Thanks Bill.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2004 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dont flatter yourself buddy, I'd hardly call this a "homey" forum.

And that refers to, what?

And stop trolling please,

Let's see, my message was posted 6.5 hours after yours. You posted yours 20 minutes after mine. And who's trolling again?

either be an Admin or troll...but dont try and be both cause God knows you suck at either one.

So I'm a bad troll? Is that good or bad? I don't visit too much "homey" forums so I really wouldn't know. Bad Admin? Probably. A good admin would have booted you at the first sign of trouble.

Why didnt you say you didnt like boobies! I can post something more....up your alley.

Is this a "gay" or "ghey" joke? (And who's anal retentive again?)

If it is, and you feel the need to post such a picture (why do you even have such a picture?) then that would give me an excuse to ban you. I know, that sucks - but hey, I'm a bad administrator and do the damnest of things.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2004 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11609 posts
Member since Jan 99
Oh, moving to the Trash Can. Please continue there if you must.
chevyguy619

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-13-2004 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chevyguy619Send a Private Message to chevyguy619Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes continue if you must folks
donk316

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-13-2004 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is this a "gay" or "ghey" joke? (And who's anal retentive again?)

If it is, and you feel the need to post such a picture (why do you even have such a picture?) then that would give me an excuse to ban you. I know, that sucks - but hey, I'm a bad administrator and do the damnest of things.

Cliff?! You have a sense of humor?! You made me chuckle with this post. Good Job!

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2004 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff?! You have a sense of humor?! You made me chuckle with this post. Good Job!

I have my moments.

DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2004 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have my moments.

Hilarious moments they are.

------------------
1988 Aero 88 coupe.. 2.8l v6.. more mods to come.
Photo Gallery - Fiero Links - WebShop

avengador1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2004 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess Donk is just trying to endear himself to the other 9933 members on the forum by trying to piss them off. I wouldn't be insulting the owner of the forum if I were him. This is Cliff's house and we live by his rules. Maybe Donk wants to be booted off now for some obscure reason, I see no reason for his nasty behavior. Take a chill pill dude.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 09-13-2004).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2004 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Besides, if he has such problems with the forum, why keep coming back?

Hey, donk, don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out. You can tell everyone how anal retentive we are and how much we suck and anything else you want. Just do it somewhere else.

The Punisher

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 433
User Banned

Report this Post09-13-2004 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

I guess Donk is just trying to endear himself to the other 9933 members on the forum by trying to piss them off. I wouldn't be insulting the owner of the forum if I were him. This is Cliff's house and we live by his rules. Maybe Donk wants to be booted off now for some obscure reason, I see no reason for his nasty behavior. Take a chill pill dude.

Dude you forgot your ghey little winky you put in every one of your posts! Whats going on here? Are you starting to like girls now?? Whatever I will put the winky in for you.

------------------
JM / SH

Pick up the bone phone Fred Flinstone and call George Jetson. Get Cable, DSL, or something....
Opinions are like ‘The Punisher” everyone has one ™

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock