Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Trash Can
  how to make a stock 4 cyl fiero fast (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
how to make a stock 4 cyl fiero fast by ionstorm666
Started on: 01-14-2004 06:44 PM
Replies: 190 (10539 views)
Last post by: Jeremiah on 05-07-2004 09:45 AM
ionstorm666

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ionstorm666Send a Private Message to ionstorm666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What options do you have to make the stock 4 cylinder fiero at least as fast as a stock v6 fiero.
Are you able to drop any other HO 4 cylinders in the car without chaning the tranny, wiring harness, and the ECM.

How much work is required to drop in a v6 engine from another fiero?

Any bolt on mods such as intake or exhaust to gain enough HP?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Maniak84

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post01-14-2004 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Maniak84Send a Private Message to Maniak84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nitrus,deffaneteley nitrus
ionstorm666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ionstorm666Send a Private Message to ionstorm666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gotta stay street legal, and here in ontario nitrous isnt street legal.
MiZer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 211
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiZerSend a Private Message to MiZerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
come now.. its only against the law if you get caught.. =]

------------------

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need 140 hp to catch up to the V6's.

There are lots of threads on the forum. Run some searches.

There are guys with Quad 4's, Cosworth Vegas, and Superduty's.

Try searching 2.5 or Duke. You'll come up with a ton.

Arn

2point5fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2point5fieroSend a Private Message to 2point5fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1 .super duty head.
2. turbo like oslos

------------------
G Mo

WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hooker Tri-Y Headers.

I could keep up (keep up as opposed to pass up) with the GTs (at the time, very stock before the 3.4s) in my club when I first joined.

A search about them would also have my comments on replacing the starter every 6 months....

...but it was worth it!

pred1tor83

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pred1tor83Send a Private Message to pred1tor83Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its a four banger right???

welll drive it off cliff! lol

------------------

(sig complements of Nebiros88)
Got a Job, a V6 Manual FIERO! ...All I need now is a Girlfriend

88Fiero2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88Fiero2M4Click Here to visit 88Fiero2M4's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88Fiero2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cut the Cat off, K&N filter, Remove the A/C belt, Comp Cam, and Roller Hydrolic Lifters. That will put you over the 140 hp mark and you will out run the stock V6 Fieros. Want to go faster yet. Put on the Holly Throttle body, Get the new Intake Manifold, and header, and Port and Polish. with all that you should find a little over 200 HP, After that it starts to get real expencive.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't a few Honda or Nissan decals do it? Oh....and a fart can?
Slammed Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
User Banned

Report this Post01-14-2004 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slammed FieroSend a Private Message to Slammed FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88Fiero2M4:

Cut the Cat off, K&N filter, Remove the A/C belt, Comp Cam, and Roller Hydrolic Lifters. That will put you over the 140 hp mark and you will out run the stock V6 Fieros. Want to go faster yet. Put on the Holly Throttle body, Get the new Intake Manifold, and header, and Port and Polish. with all that you should find a little over 200 HP, After that it starts to get real expencive.

Holy Sh1T dude..are you on the pipe? I hope this is a joke!

Do all that crap to the duke and it will still be slow as hell. The duke isn't a performance motor ..save your money and swap something in. All that stuff above MAY get the Duke to 100RWHP ..On a GOOD day.

JM

PFF
System Bot
88Fiero2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88Fiero2M4Click Here to visit 88Fiero2M4's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88Fiero2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed Fiero:

Holy Sh1T dude..are you on the pipe? I hope this is a joke!

Do all that crap to the duke and it will still be slow as hell. The duke isn't a performance motor ..save your money and swap something in. All that stuff above MAY get the Duke to 100RWHP ..On a GOOD day.

JM

My entire Family were raised and born as Mechanics. My cousin worked at a Proformance shop in Ft Collins, where they were good and bringing the most out of any engine and car.
They took a Chevelle with a 350 and pulled 1300 HP out of it.
A 21 year old friend of mine also a Mechanic and a Body man who can take and do anything he wants with a Piece of Metal. Says of a 350 that just finding the right cam for it will net 600 Hp out of that car. Both he and his boss say that and both are Ford men, and both Own proformance cars and Muscle cars. Both My friend and My cousin say that with the right cam and lifters alone could put the 2.5L in my Fiero Above 200 HP.
I have heard from several mechanics from Back yard shops and from Dealer shops say that just removing the Cat on some cars can bring as much as 50 More hp since they are so restrictive on an engine. This was also from a My Cousin who worked in this shop. Note My cousin had a Dyno to prove it.
Most of all the Mechanics that told me this told me not to say that they said it cause it would make them loose there job, It is not something that is to be shared outside a Mechanics shop due to the fact that if most people knew it they would all be removing the Cat.
If you dont believe it, then Explain why in 1970 cars were pushing 400 Hp and just 10 years later with the only major change to engines was a Cat that those same engines were making half the Horse Power?
Example, Put a Potato in your tale pipe in your car, Then tell me what HP rating you get then. I would bet you cant even get 1 hp out of it. Now lets do something else.
take a potato and cut a hole in it and stuff it into your exaust. I bet you get it running but it is very sluggish. It is due to a badly Restricted exaust system. What does a Cat do? It restricts the Exaust system wich is a definate Power loss. Want proof? Take a car that dosnt have a Cat on it and put one on it. Tell me what happined. I bet it was alot slower.
Now I am not trying to clame that the duke will give you 50 Hp if you remove the Cat, Lets look more realistic. I would guess that how my 86 ran after I removed it that it was about a 15 hp gain. You havnt driven my 86 Fiero but after I Removed the Cat, took off the AC belt and Put in a K&N Filter it reached 125 MPH on flat ground and in just under a mile. My 88 will not hit that going down hill after 10 miles.... its lucky to even find 100 MPH. Now Explain to me why you dont think that my way will reach 140 HP and when I have my 86 Running and done with just what I said, I will Get it on a Dyno and prove it.

------------------
Don Pottorff
Red 88 Fiero 2M4
Silver 86 Fiero 2M4

88Fiero2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88Fiero2M4Click Here to visit 88Fiero2M4's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88Fiero2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Slammed, I just have one question and I hope that I dont offend you, What do you do for a Living? as in what is your Job?
Where you Born with a Wrench in your hand like all the people I know? All the people I know can Tear down and rebuild an engine in just a matter of a few hours.
and Most of my Friends Mechanical work is all they know.... its there life
My friend that I talk about that works at a body shop. His car that he is working on is a 95 Ford T-Bird.
Its only Modifications to date are A set of Lightweight Pullies, a Jet Proformance chip, and a Hooker Exaust system. He took it out and Raced against his bosses 03 Ford Mustang Mach 1 and Kept up with it, I would love an explination to this? The Mustang was being drivin by Someone who is not a slouch at driving in a straight line, and the T-Bird weighs about 1500 Lbs more then the mustang.

[This message has been edited by 88Fiero2M4 (edited 01-15-2004).]

chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Both My friend and My cousin say that with the right cam and lifters alone could put the 2.5L in my Fiero Above 200 HP.

Sorry, got to back Slammed on this and call

Oh, and yes, been there, done that - got the tshirt...

Rob D.

------------------

The Dirty Rat
Chopped, dropped and just plain NASTY!
383 Stroker MPFI with N2O
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension
Updated June 29 '03 www.dirtyratracing.org

[This message has been edited by chester (edited 01-15-2004).]

virii01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for virii01Send a Private Message to virii01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh boy

My entire Family were raised and born as Mechanics. My cousin worked at a Proformance shop in Ft Collins, where they were good and bringing the most out of any engine and car.
They took a Chevelle with a 350 and pulled 1300 HP out of it.

OK, possible, but how many thousands were in the heads alone? How much boost was it running? What kind of fuel did it take, alcohol I assume?

A 21 year old friend of mine also a Mechanic and a Body man who can take and do anything he wants with a Piece of Metal. Says of a 350 that just finding the right cam for it will net 600 Hp out of that car.

Ok, that's incorrect. Go find a mid 80's fullsize van or subrban w/ a 350 in it, heck even give it a fresh stock rebuild, but throw any cam you want in it, custom grind or whatever, and it will be no where near 600 horsepower. 600 HP out of a 350 requires much much more than a cam change, such as aftermarket ported heads, high compression (or boost), high rise intake or boost, etc etc.

Both he and his boss say that and both are Ford men, and both Own proformance cars and Muscle cars. Both My friend and My cousin say that with the right cam and lifters alone could put the 2.5L in my Fiero Above 200 HP.

Wrong, like I stated above, it would take a heck of a lot more work than that to get a 2.5L to 200 HP. If it were as simple as a cam and lifter change, I'm pretty sure more people would be doing that.

I have heard from several mechanics from Back yard shops and from Dealer shops say that just removing the Cat on some cars can bring as much as 50 More hp since they are so restrictive on an engine.

This may be possible in extreme situations, but power gained from exhaust change is dependent on original output of the motor and flow characteristics of the stock system.

If you dont believe it, then Explain why in 1970 cars were pushing 400 Hp and just 10 years later with the only major change to engines was a Cat that those same engines were making half the Horse Power?

That is also untrue. Having a catalytic converter is one of many reasons that vehicles in the 70s and 80s made less power than those in the 60s. In addition to catalytic converters, many other changes were made to motors in an effort to reduce emmissions and gas consumption, such as lower compression, different camshafts, smaller more restrictive intakes and carburators, etc.

Now Explain to me why you dont think that my way will reach 140 HP and when I have my 86 Running and done with just what I said, I will Get it on a Dyno and prove it.

I already explained above, I'm patiently awaiting dyno results.

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm with Chester and Slammed on this one. I'm sorry, but your friends are wrong. Like Chester said, been there, done that, upgrading to a Super Duty...

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/fierost4rsc/tst4e.html

http://webpages.charter.net/imsa_gtu/docs/HRM-SD4article.htm

BTW Chester, could you possibly PM me some pictures or something like that of your cooling system around the head (thermostat housing, etc...) I've run into a little bit of trouble trying to use the stock unit on the SD4 head.

------------------

Slammed Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2004 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Slammed FieroSend a Private Message to Slammed FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No I wasn't ""Born with a wrench in my hand"" I also wasn't born with Downsyndrome or what ever mental prob you have that makes you think a turd tractor motor like the duke can make 200hp.. Perhaps if you weld 2 of them together and make a straight 8 you will get 200hp ..but there is no chance in hell of a duke making 200hp Most people can't get 200hp out of a pushrod 3.4!!! go look at the post in gen chat about the dyno day!!

Damm , you typed all that BS for nothing , I doubt anyone read it , I know I sure as hell didn't... the duke is a tractor motor... a turd..

PS... 2003 Mustang Mach1 3300Lbs
2003 T-Bird 3800 Lbs
1995 T-Bird 3550Lbs

Feel free to question me on the weights of the vehicles Mr. Good Wrecnh... or call me... 905-845-1646 http://www.kennedyford.ca I should be here for the rest of the day...My Uncle owns the place....incase you didn't get it it's a ford dealership..and I got the weights right from the book. You probably used the same calculator to determine the Mustang and T-Birds weight as you did to calculate that you can get 200hp out of a iron TURD!

Damm nOObs.

JM
THE SBC PUNISHER

[This message has been edited by Slammed Fiero (edited 01-15-2004).]

Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well this is how I made my stock 4 cylinder faster-- I added 4 more cylinders
MiZer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 211
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MiZerSend a Private Message to MiZerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
can anyone else feel the love?

------------------

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no way will the duke put out that much power, (No offense dude)

But... with a few mods, you may be able to keep up with the V6. I ran my 84 down the 1/4mi at a whopping 17.0. It sounds slow, and well, yes it is, lol. The thing is, I have also seen a share of V6 guys run down the track in the low/mid 17s. With some mods, you'll still be slow as hell, but you might be able to beat one or two high mileage tired out V6 guys. Just a thought..

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

then Explain why in 1970 cars were pushing 400 Hp and just 10 years later with the only major change to engines was a Cat that those same engines were making half the Horse Power?

Back in the early seventy's cars used VERY high octane fuel, probably 100 octane or more, the compression ratio on those engines were 11:1-14:1 this made a HUGE difference in power, then in 1973 or so they started doing emission stuff, and dropped compression ratios and used lower octane fuels, the cat alone did not reduce the power of these vehicles. i do not use a cat on ANY of my fiero's, when i got my 85GT it had one on it, a high flow cat-co cat, i removed it, and put on straight pipes, no muffler or anything, no noticable increase in power, im sure it gave 1-2HP but not much, I could see through the old cat, alittle light came through, so i know it wasnt bad.

can someone confirm that back in the 60's and early 70's they had higher compression and higher octane fuel?
im only 22 years old, what do i know

matthew

------------------

PFF
System Bot
88Fiero2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88Fiero2M4Click Here to visit 88Fiero2M4's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88Fiero2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was not Flaming anyone and I would rather not Recive all this Hate Email. Shaun Hammitt no I am not a F$*%tard, But since you wish to send such foul email to me about my ideas fine, I am not stupid, I know what I am talking about.
I do think that there was a thread in the Off topic area talking about people leaving the PFF and selling there Fieros just because of such attitudes.
Fine you dont like tuning the 4 Cylinder nor do you wish to have one destroy the times your V6 can run. For me I have 2, 4 Cylinders and I am going to do what I can to get some Horse Power out of one of them. I am supprised at such Hostilities that I have recived from people at this forum.
I would expect a little more support from you guys but instead you choose to insult me.
Fine I didnt buy my fieros because of you and I dont need your help on Tuning them. I have alot of people that I know here that I can have help.

and Slammed I am not a Damn Noob. I have owned Fieros for 6 years now and have been around the Fiero Community for 5 years of it.

------------------
Don Pottorff
Red 88 Fiero 2M4
Silver 86 Fiero 2M4

befarrer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for befarrerSend a Private Message to befarrerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am just gonna add something.

I have a recall duke in my 84 Fiero, I checked the casting date and it was July 1988. The bottom end of my motor has never been apart. My Fiero has 151000Miles on it, I estimate about 120000 of them miles are with the current motor. Last winter the head was taken off port matched and polished, along with the intake and exhaust manifolds, the TB was also polished. This motor still has the stock valve train, valve seals, rings, etc... With just that change, I managed to pull a 18.1sec 1/4 at 70.1MPH, this is with an automatic, full tank of regular gas, stock air filter, and everything in the car.

I found a site that calculate RWHP from 1/4 times and speed, it calculated out to be 89RWHP, not much, but this motor made 92HP at the crank stock. Estimating drive train loss, I have about 100HP at the crank. But, when I was at the track, there was a 10-15MPH headwind, and the elevation here is about 1800feet.

I shall see what difference I get when I finish with my duke. I should have a better cam, a Fiero Store Header, new valve train (stock), and different pistons and rings (maybe flat top pistions). this should complement the head work that has been done.

P.S. My dad did all the port matching and polishing. He used to work for Cosworth doing head work for their racing engines, so he knows what works and what doesnt, he is also a registered mechanic. He thinks the 2.5L port design is crap, with crappy castings to boot.

------------------

Details on my Fiero here
Member of the Edmonto Fiero Club Please rate me if I helped you!

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
200hp out of a 2.5L with just a cam upgrade?? That isn't going to happen. Especially with a Fiero 2.5L. The RWD 2.5L engine's were stronger and I have seen them get to the 180's with some serious high-dollar builds, But I doubt you'll get much over 120hp with a Fiero 2.5L. First the heads don't have the flow to support much more. Second, the bottom end of the engine is not very strong. The 2.5L RWD engines had room to add 4-bolt main caps, but the FWD 2.5L was designed to get gas mileage so the internals of the block were thinned out to reduce weight. Even turbo'd 2.5L engines are only making 140/150hp.
If you want a high horsepower 4-cyl, a QUAD4 would be the easiest. These were 160-180hp normally aspirated. Adding a turbo would get you to 200hp range.
If money is no object, For roughly $9K-$11K you could build an SD4 and have about 250hp.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 01-15-2004).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cut the Cat off, K&N filter, Remove the A/C belt, Comp Cam, and Roller Hydrolic Lifters... Holly Throttle body, Get the new Intake Manifold, and header, and Port and Polish...

That would probably bring you to what, about 130HP? Anyone?

Also, I think I heard somewhere removing the cat would give you more horespower, but lower torque (or something)

befarrer, any pics?

Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Upgrade the Cam
Install Roller Lifters
Cut out the catalytic convertor
install high flow headers
cut out the A/C & cruise
Port the intake & exhaust manifolds
Port the head and get a good valve job
then the really fun stuff
Turbocharger
Nitrous
That's most of anything you can do.

------------------

'86 2.8L
'86 2.5L turbo put to sleep

Chris_Oslo_Nelson@hotmail.com

Slammed Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2004 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slammed FieroSend a Private Message to Slammed FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shaun Hammitt Has you pegged perfectly....

THE SHAUN LIVES....!!!!!

BS'er's and PHAGS BEWARE!!!

dude...200hp out of a duke.. you are a NOOB

JM
THE SBC PUNISHER!!

[This message has been edited by Slammed Fiero (edited 01-15-2004).]

virii01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virii01Send a Private Message to virii01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fine you dont like tuning the 4 Cylinder nor do you wish to have one destroy the times your V6 can run. For me I have 2, 4 Cylinders and I am going to do what I can to get some Horse Power out of one of them. I am supprised at such Hostilities that I have recived from people at this forum.
I would expect a little more support from you guys but instead you choose to insult me.
Fine I didnt buy my fieros because of you and I dont need your help on Tuning them. I have alot of people that I know here that I can have help.

That is not the point here, if you wish to build up your 2.5 motor people here will be more than helpful. The point was, the numbers you were throwing out are completely unbelievable. The 4 cyl motor (or 6 cyl) in the Fiero is not a power montser and is not capable of much without a lot of (expensive) work. Thus many people swapping motors. You can get 200HP out of your 2.5L and beat a V6 Fiero, but it's not gonna happen with a cam change and removing the cat.

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are some 4 bangers in a thread called "Show me your 4 cylinder" or something...hold on I'll get the link...

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/036728.html

Go thru the pics. There are some nice dukes in there and there's a few that push some HP but are not you average 2.5L Iron duke. Mine for example is a 3.3 liter Super Duty rated at 300 HP with 13.5:1 compression and dual sidedraft webbers...

I think what got some people in a bunch was the " My friend said and they know all " instead of the "can I do this" approach.

Personally I like the extra 4 cylinders myself.

and FASTINDYFIERO you have a pm.

Rob D.

------------------

The Dirty Rat
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension

psychic_mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychic_mechanicSend a Private Message to psychic_mechanicEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let's try this cut-n-paste:

I have heard from several mechanics from Back yard shops and from Dealer shops say that just removing the Cat on some cars can bring as much as 50 More hp since they are so restrictive on an engine. This was also from a My Cousin who worked in this shop.

That post was full of so much crap, I didn't know what to call BS the most. I wouldn't call those guys described as "bolt-turners" let alone mechanics. I'm sure their street cars run the 1/4 mile track in 4 seconds at 350mph and that the local police ask them for help on high speed pursuits. (I'm not making that up, someone told me that once out on the smoke deck)

More often than not, on newer efficient designs, removing the cat results in a few hp gain 1-5 and a torque loss. You would only gain 50 hp by removing a clogged kitty.

88Fiero2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88Fiero2M4Click Here to visit 88Fiero2M4's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88Fiero2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man o man most of you read one or two things I said and ran with it. Go back and read the entire message then make your comment.
One of you Cought the Cam idea here, Another caught the Remove the Cat, and yet another caught another part of it. maby if you put your entire collective base of what you read of my post you will get it.
No I didnt say Putting in just a Cam will give you 200 Hp out of the Duke. I must have listed about 7 differant things with putting in a cam that would net a possable 200 HP. You all managed to blow everything I said out of proportion. I said that with the THE CAM, ROLLER HYDROLIC LIFTERS, CUT THE CAT OFF, REMOVE THE A/C BELT, A K&N FILTER. Would probably get you to 140 HP. 40 hp isnt a Stretch here people Unless you thougt some how in your twisted beer gogles that I said differant. Then I added Change the INTAKE MANIFOLD, PUT ON A HEADER, TAKE THE HOLLY THROTTLE BODY. AND PORT AND POLISH AND WITH ALL THAT YOU MAY GET TO ABOUT 200HP, I count about 9 items that I listed to do that would keep price down and keep you from destroying the engine with a turbo or nitrous.

Hazzards of a turbo. Most people dont know that you have to idle an engine that has a turbo for a few minuts after driving it around to allow the turbo to cool down, If you dont you burn up the turbo and any piston with the Valve open when it is shut off.

Hazzards with Nitrous are as Follows. To much and you blow your head off, or at least fry the engine wich takes alot of work to fix what you have done wrong.

So yes get a Turbo wich will run into the Thousands of Dollars. Or Nitrous with one wrong step will cost you thousands in parts to rebuild and repare.

Ya So yu Made your 4 Cylinder better by adding 4 cylinders. YA I bet you pass everything but a gas station.

PFF
System Bot
88Fiero2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88Fiero2M4Click Here to visit 88Fiero2M4's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88Fiero2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

88Fiero2M4

349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
By the way Sending me emails like this will not do anything. Anoter from Good Ol Shaun.

Cool to see you saw my email.

NOW PROVE ME WRONG.

Cam, filter and no cat and I want to see 115 hp at the wheels. Lets see it
little man.

Everyone is saying its not worth it yet you still dont' believe them. thats
fine. dump your money into that boat anchor of an engine and when its still
dog ass slow with no power dont' come crying.

But I still want to see these dyno tests. Dont' spout off at the mouth and
not deliver. Too many phags like that on the forum already. Lets see some
action.

Mr Know-it-all

I Think its funny you call me Little man and Phag
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/036986.html
Go look at picture 4 before you spout off your mouth. Ex Prison Guard, Former Security Guard in Las Vegas.

Such Anger over nothing. Go smoke a Blunt, Get wasted at the bar and Calm down man

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Man o man most of you read one or two things I said and ran with it. Go back and read the entire message then make your comment.
One of you Cought the Cam idea here, Another caught the Remove the Cat, and yet another caught another part of it. maby if you put your entire collective base of what you read of my post you will get it.
No I didnt say Putting in just a Cam will give you 200 Hp out of the Duke. I must have listed about 7 differant things with putting in a cam that would net a possable 200 HP. You all managed to blow everything I said out of proportion. I said that with the THE CAM, ROLLER HYDROLIC LIFTERS, CUT THE CAT OFF, REMOVE THE A/C BELT, A K&N FILTER. Would probably get you to 140 HP. 40 hp isnt a Stretch here people Unless you thougt some how in your twisted beer gogles that I said differant. Then I added Change the INTAKE MANIFOLD, PUT ON A HEADER, TAKE THE HOLLY THROTTLE BODY. AND PORT AND POLISH AND WITH ALL THAT YOU MAY GET TO ABOUT 200HP, I count about 9 items that I listed to do that would keep price down and keep you from destroying the engine with a turbo or nitrous.

Hazzards of a turbo. Most people dont know that you have to idle an engine that has a turbo for a few minuts after driving it around to allow the turbo to cool down, If you dont you burn up the turbo and any piston with the Valve open when it is shut off.

Hazzards with Nitrous are as Follows. To much and you blow your head off, or at least fry the engine wich takes alot of work to fix what you have done wrong.

So yes get a Turbo wich will run into the Thousands of Dollars. Or Nitrous with one wrong step will cost you thousands in parts to rebuild and repare.

Ya So yu Made your 4 Cylinder better by adding 4 cylinders. YA I bet you pass everything but a gas station.

Maybe YOU should put down the pipe like Slammed suggested and I'll quote it for you again from your own post

Both My friend and My cousin say that with the right cam and lifters alone could put the 2.5L in my Fiero Above 200 HP.

Now maybe reading glasses are in order, I dunno, but it's in bold print, the ALONE part. Get it?

I tried to be cordial and point you to a place to read up on some 4 cylinder performance options and you come off like we're all a bunch of drunk'n hicks...These twisted beer goggles seem to be reading just right...thank you...

Oh and yeah, I'm sure a 200+ HP duke will get GREAT gas mileage as well While you’re having it towed that is...

Have a nice dukie day...

Rob D

------------------

The Dirty Rat
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension

88Fiero2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88Fiero2M4Click Here to visit 88Fiero2M4's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88Fiero2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that I have that Cleared up, All I have to say is 84 Indy Pace car..... The real one not the Stock ones that you got from the dealer that Puts out 92 hp.

Its not possable to get over 200 Hp out of the duke. Then tell General Motors that about the Real Pace car.

and two you dont need a high reving engine to get Power. 2 engines that are an example. First is in the Kenworth that I drive. Red line is about 2300 RPM and it Puts out a hell of alot of Power mostly in Torque.
Second Engine is that 1959 Lycomming In my Grandfathers plane. it is a 6 cylinder pushrod engine with a Carb on it.... not injection. it made 250 HP and only redlined at 2400 rpm. Sure It ran 110 octane fuel. So run that same fuel in your car.

88Fiero2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88Fiero2M4Click Here to visit 88Fiero2M4's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88Fiero2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

88Fiero2M4

349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
This entire Community is a Joke, Good by I can make it on my own. I never needed any of you, I have never asked for any help. I dont need your help.
I guess my friends are right. How About instead of buying Fieros. Just get a real car.
I will take that money for a Fiero GT and go to Klodi and get a 96 Camero SS and get it over with.
BTW my Fieros are not for sale at any price I will turn them into trailers to pull behind my Camero when I get it

chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Now that I have that Cleared up, All I have to say is 84 Indy Pace car..... The real one not the Stock ones that you got from the dealer that Puts out 92 hp.

Its not possable to get over 200 Hp out of the duke. Then tell General Motors that about the Real Pace car.

and two you dont need a high reving engine to get Power. 2 engines that are an example. First is in the Kenworth that I drive. Red line is about 2300 RPM and it Puts out a hell of alot of Power mostly in Torque.
Second Engine is that 1959 Lycomming In my Grandfathers plane. it is a 6 cylinder pushrod engine with a Carb on it.... not injection. it made 250 HP and only redlined at 2400 rpm. Sure It ran 110 octane fuel. So run that same fuel in your car.

The real Indy Pace car ran a SUPER DUTY like I have in mine. Far cry from the Iron Duke.. Please do some research...

Thanks for clearing things up...I thought I was done in this thread...

Rob D.

[This message has been edited by chester (edited 01-15-2004).]

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any engine can be made to make tremendous horsepower. We all know the formula. Speed=$$$$ How fast do you wanna go? A stock duke might be forced to make 200HP but how long would it last?
chester

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BTW my Fieros are not for sale at any price I will turn them into trailers to pull behind my Camero when I get it

ROFLMAO! Now I'm done....

Rob D.

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No I didnt say Putting in just a Cam will give you 200 Hp out of the Duke.

Well this is sort of true, It was actually your friend and your cousin,
and I quote.......

But the funny part is you BELIEVED them!

WRONG, If you would take a look, The engines had cat's added, compression was lowered, cams were smaller, and the carbs were de-tuned so an EGR could be used (all starting around 1975). This was done to increase gas milage and reduce exhaust pollution. That is why the horsepower dropped. The only reason the horsepower increased with fuel injection, was because the EFI systems monitor the exhaust and constantly adjust the system to maintain the low emission levels. Since the sytem monitors and changes constantly, the efficiency of the engines increased, resulting in more horsepower. A carb is great for all out performance, but not so good at keeping emissions down.

I said that with the THE CAM, ROLLER HYDROLIC LIFTERS, CUT THE CAT OFF, REMOVE THE A/C BELT, A K&N FILTER. Would probably get you to 140 HP.

No, You'll have about 110hp. The stock cast head on a 2.5L Fiero engine can only flow so much air. No matter how big of a cam you install.

Then I added Change the INTAKE MANIFOLD, PUT ON A HEADER, TAKE THE HOLLY THROTTLE BODY. AND PORT AND POLISH AND WITH ALL THAT YOU MAY GET TO ABOUT 200HP,

No, You'll have about 140hp. (and that is being generous! I doubt you'll see much over 130hp normally aspirated.)
Even with using stronger rods, Better crank, (stroking it to a 2.7L) higher compression pistons, an SD4 head, custom ground cam, and aftermarket intake with a 670cfm dual injector throttle body, The engine dyno'd at 175hp. The engine was built for the purpose of performance and was built from the bare block up. Not just sliding in a cam and reworking the head of a stock engine.
The SD4 head stock has a lot more flow than the stock Fiero 2.5L head does ported/polished.

It all comes down to flow. The stock head on the Fiero 2.5L cannot flow enough air to support much over 120hp, Ported and polished you might get into the 150hp range. You will never get near 200hp normally aspirated.

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
real cars.. I wasn't going to even comment yeah camaro's are a dime a dozen too.. have fun with your "SS"

people were just telling you that getting 200 HP out of duke would be damn near impossible. Sure you could do it, but you'd be spending 10,000+ if your going to let this thread bother you then good bye, I don't feel for you cause we don't drive real cars

------------------
88 5spd Modified 3800 Series II SC Formula
Modifications 2004 - Intercooler | 2.8 pulley | 1 inch drop | Interior | 17 inch wheels

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock