Started on: 04-17-2002 06:31 PM
Replies: 56 (778 views)
Last post by: NEPTUNE on 03-19-2008 01:40 PM
TRiAD

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2002 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/007352.html

What's the deal with the trolls?!

I recieve a worm from YOUR email addy, and now we have new FAKE members trolling the boards...AGAIN.

It's time to take out the trash...for good!

------------------

"...Rising from the Ashes..."

[This message has been edited by TRiAD (edited 04-17-2002).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2002 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TRiAD:

I recieve a worm from YOUR email addy,

Maybe you should look in the "Announcement section once in a while. Cliff stated someone was using his Email address to send out a worm virus. I think it started 2 days ago.

TRiAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2002 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

Maybe you should look in the "Announcement section once in a while. Cliff stated someone was using his Email address to send out a worm virus. I think it started 2 days ago.

I'm the person who that happened to. Cliff and I have already discussed it.
MY POINT was that there is a rash of this crap going on again all of a sudden.

isthiswhereiputausername?

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2002 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Triad,

check PM.

Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2002 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Triad,
I can understand your fustration but when I read you post you seems a little harsh. Try to be a little more toned/nicer with Cliff. Remember this Forum is his hobby.

TRiAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2002 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
isthis...you have a reply.

Hank, you're right. And I DO appreciate all he does. But I also don't need to continuously be subjected to trolls. I think the time has come for moderators. 4600+ users? I think it's just too much for him.

And the software does not appear to be able to ban people very effectively, or Cliff is choosing to let them return. (No idea why that could be, if that's it).

I love this place, but the level of sheer tolerance for harassment and threats between members is unconscionable. (sp? )

sloth85GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2002 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sloth85GTSend a Private Message to sloth85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How does if work with moderators? What are they in charge of? What do they do?

------------------

Dan
1985 Silver GT

400HP LT1 Conversion has begun......

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2002 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Moderator.. Bad idea.. YOu'r the only one who is having a problem.. Don't make the rest of us lose out.
TRiAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2002 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnnyK:
Moderator.. Bad idea.. YOu'r the only one who is having a problem.. Don't make the rest of us lose out.

That's crap and you know it. We have had rayB's, edsB52s, yo_sweet's, and more. They can simply be too much for one person to keep track of. Anyways, the way I see it, when one of us is having a problem, we're ALL having a problem. It makes me just as mad when people harass other members, not just me.

What would you be worried about losing out on anyway? Moderators only intervene on individual posts and only when something WRONG is happening.
...Or do you think members SHOULD be welcome to completely harass and threaten eachother?

Jaygee79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2002 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jaygee79Send a Private Message to Jaygee79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you compare the list of trolls with the list of decent members, the troll list is very small. there are bound to be some of them here, with over 4000 members. you can't get 4000 people together and expect there to not be anyone who causes trouble. i think Cliff controls it very nicely.
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2002 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think my wrong is a lot different than your wrong.. thats why. If I start a thread talking about your favourite fictional characters (Adam and eve, and what not), your going to throw a hissy fit, saying it should be deleted.
What's wrong with RayB and Eds? Ed was quite intelligent, and in fact, I still keep in touch (although not much) threw email.. He helps me when I post a problem some where. And Ray, although hard to decipher his messages, has great knowledge. You consider him a troll because his views differ than yours?

[This message has been edited by JohnnyK (edited 04-17-2002).]

PFF
System Bot
WeAZz2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WeAZz2M6Send a Private Message to WeAZz2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't see the need for a moderator, unless Cliff feels he needs help.Ultimatly he would decide this. As far as forums go this is probably the best kept that I've been on, even with the trolls.

------------------
Auto racing fans fall into two categories:Tattooed,shirtless,sewermouthed drunks, and their Husbands

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ed was quite intelligent, And Ray, although hard to decipher his messages, has great knowledge.

All I'm going to say is:
"You are kidding, right?"

Master_Sushi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master_SushiSend a Private Message to Master_SushiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ED once sent me a 2 page email about a topic I posted. It helped me out quite a bit too. He must have spent over an hour on it. I felt almost bad becuase I never spent that much time helping him out.
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know.. Ed was a great guy. But then the snowball starting rolling who felt the need to back up their forum buddies, and voila.
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JohnnyK,

EdsB52 was a great guy toward you because you often agreed with him. He was not a great guy to those that wouldn't accept his viewpoint.

You, on the other hand, can disagree with me without trying to belittle me or attack me. I respect you for that, and appreciate it.

And TRiAD, I often agree with you, but on this one, I differ. Although I don't enjoy the troublemakers, there just aren't enough of them for me to want moderators. For the few there are, the trash can and the ability to e-mail Cliff and appeal to him is enough to make the forum easily livable.

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never had a problem really with edsB52, though I did have a very small argument with rayb once long ago, about the rights of smokers.. and if anyone decides to exercise their right to smoke near me, when I've asked them not to, then I'll exercise my right to extinguish any nearby fires.. I once put out a cigarette with a supersoaker, that was hilarious.. that aim was pure luck.

granted, it was a girl smoking who had told me she wanted to quit but needed help.. and we were at the beach with waterguns anyway.. but it was still funny.

------------------
steve@digitalfusion.on.ca
http://www.fieroproject.com

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait a second.. I don't think you have the right to put out my cigarette ifyou don't like it and we're both outside.. Then I have the right to kick you in the junk..
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're outside and the wind is blowing your smoke out of the range of a non smoker, keep smoking. If the non smoker can smell your smoke and asks you politely to put out your cigarette, either put it out or walk away. That's just common courtesy. And this comes from a 2 pack a day smoker.
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh, I have common courtesy, and I've never pissed off a non smoker.. I'm just saying, he doesn't have that right..
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sloth85GT:
How does if work with moderators? What are they in charge of? What do they do?

Moderators are in charge of a certain section. They keep an eye on the threads in their section for flamers/trolls. If one makes their presence known, they have the power to lock threads delete posts ect. in the section they are in charge of. I think having moderators is a good idea. There are more people to control the "pests" of the forum. I am a moderator on dodgeintrepid.net and I know it's alot easier over there to control the trolls with all of us keeping an eye out for them, and having the power to do something about it.

------------------
Chris--1988 Fiero coupe

"If Yoda great Jedi master he is, then why not he good sentence construct?"

PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But I also don't need to continuously be subjected to trolls. I think the time has come for moderators. 4600+ users? I think it's just too much for him.

It's not. And there aren't many trolls. If all you can think of are the few you mentioned, then I'd say that's an incredibly small number - considering the number of members and the time this forum has been up. Go visit a few other forums, you'll see the number of trolls almost equals the number of legit members.

And the software does not appear to be able to ban people very effectively, or Cliff is choosing to let them return. (No idea why that could be, if that's it).

The software isn't, but I am. Of course the software isn't smart enough to recognize certain similarity between different users and find out they are the same person. I do. And if I choose to ban someone, I don't let them return. Yo_sweet was never banned before, and I have said that numerous times in numerous posts. If he made it sound that he was banned and I allowed him back, then that's his problem. And the latest troll you are talking about isn't yo_sweet. Unless he moved to Virginia all of a sudden.

I love this place, but the level of sheer tolerance for harassment and threats between members is unconscionable.

Strange. I don't see a lot of members having much problems. In fact, the number of flamewars and such is still (relatively spoken) very small. Again, try some other boards and you'll find out that just about every other thread turns into a flamewar.

I say I've done a pretty darn good job so far, and extra moderators will not help make it any better.

Indy-2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indy-2M4Click Here to visit Indy-2M4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Indy-2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You say the latest troll is in Virginia? Isn't that where Blackstang is? Hmmmmm.......

------------------
'84 Indy w/66K actual miles, second owner

Also: 84SE, 87GT and 88GT

TRiAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think my wrong is a lot different than your wrong.. thats why. If I start a thread talking about your favourite fictional characters (Adam and eve, and what not), your going to throw a hissy fit, saying it should be deleted...

Hey dumb@ss, you can at least TRY to base your arguments on something solid.

I had NEVER asked for the HP thread to be deleted, and I never asked for it to be locked until ray (who you call intelligent and a help to others?) said all of a certain large group of people should be KILLED. That's a whole lot different than simply having a differing opinion than me. That's monstorous. Right up there with Hitler.

I have NO problem disagreeing with people here, and that's NOT what moderators are about. Different people have different opinions. BUT, when someone follows another member around for 2 weeks searching for all that member's posts so he can bash them, that's uncalled for. When a members is sending viruses from the admin email, ANYWHERE else on the 'net, he'd be banned...and I know several places he'd encounter legal problems.

Cliff, thanks for your reply.
I agree, by and large, that you do an excellent job here. BUT I do believe you are too laxed and forgiving when it comes to treatment of the members here. A little respect for your guests goes a long way. If this were your house, and someone began harassing the other guests without provokation, I suspect your response would be more swift and severe, if even temporary.

And no, those are not the only trolls here, but they were by far the biggest. I honestly believe SlammedFiero, for his actions the last couple weeks, and even JohnnyK on occasion, have stepped way over the line.

I'll say it again; a difference of opinion is an opportunity for everyone to grow. Stating that difference in an inflamitory way is an opportunity for the flamer to grow, through correction, and threats and harrassment makes for an opportunity to prune
the bushes, or even pull some weeds, occasionally.

JSocha

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JSochaSend a Private Message to JSochaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nuff said

------------------

"The PRE10DR"

GodSend

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Triad,

Maybe its time to take a step back look in the mirror. You are complaining about trolls, and flame wars this and that ... What I look down this thread the only one causing anything (and calling people names) .... is.... YOU! Now I don't like to point fingers, and I dont recall ever being in a war myself, but its hard to listen to someone complaining about these kind of things when the past few problems have been centered around you.

Learn to have thick skin, and walk away, not everyone will agree with you, and the second they get a reaction from you is the second they are going to try to get more....

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok, I should have clarified that I meant within my own home or place of business.. if I'm with someone who is smoking outside, I'll just move so I'm not downwind (I'm VERY allergic to tobacco smoke, makes my throat close up.)

and if I go to a bar and the smoke bothers me, I leave.. but if someone is intentionally blowing smoke in my face even after I've asked them to stop.. I'd likely do something about it, rather than just leave.

------------------

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BUT I do believe you are too laxed and forgiving when it comes to treatment of the members here.

If with "here" you mean the TO/T section, then yes, you are correct. I am very forgiving for what happens here. Which is a good thing or by now there would be hardly any members left on the forum.

thomas_l

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thomas_lClick Here to visit thomas_l's HomePageSend a Private Message to thomas_lEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not trying to defend a troll or anything but in the thread you (Triad) referenced, you made a pretty remarkable boast. Whether its a true statement or not, you then allowed the troll to get the better of you. When that happens you start on the slippery slope that some less than desireable forum members get on all the time - arguing a point to infinite detail with anyone who challenges instead of letting your statement hold its own (ala EdsB52) and responding only to challenges with merit. For that matter, furious_fiero was challenging in a similar fashion and nobody bit. He made a simple challenge to you (list the a few cars that you bragged about) that might have been interesting to see an answer to if you hadn't been busy flaming the troll. At the same time nobody jumped on furious for trolling. Maybe it was his tone. I dunno.

Again, no offense intended. I'm just pointing out that it takes more than just a nasty post or three to make a troll successful.

falconhulk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for falconhulkSend a Private Message to falconhulkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Relax Triad. You seem to be going off an awful lot. A troll is someone that attempts to get a response from people with deliberate stupid comments. You on the other hand are getting down right nasty. Ease off. Just becasue someone does not agree or even think you are telling the truth is no reason to call names or attack. Cant you see your attitude is drawing people to make comments about you?
85blackgt

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-18-2002 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85blackgtClick Here to visit 85blackgt's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85blackgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny to see people get pissed off over what you would call "trolls" like me.Sorry i don't know enought to send somone a virus

Thanks , yo_sweet

PFF
System Bot
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dumbass? God man, relax! Go take some time off the forum.
DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85blackgt:
Sorry i don't know enought to send somone a virus

Thanks , yo_sweet

he's probably right..

------------------

[This message has been edited by DaRkLoRD (edited 04-18-2002).]

Hairy_Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
User Banned

Report this Post04-18-2002 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hairy_FieroSend a Private Message to Hairy_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well Triad,

For someone who posts as much as you do:

Over 7 posts a day,
Over 50 posts a week
Over 200 posts a month

FOR THE LAST 353 DAYS!!! FOR A WHOPPING 2500+ POSTS!

That my friend is a lot of posts. You're bound to run into problems. And I'd have to say mediocre problems at that. Just ignore who bothers you, and if you can't email Cliff. He's the best free tech support for a forum anyone could ask for, I'm sure he'll help you. Now take a tylenol and lay down, you'll feel better.

furious_fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 232
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for furious_fieroSend a Private Message to furious_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see this post going into the "trash can" in the furture. Cliff, when you gonna move it?

------------------
1986 Fiero 2M4 MODIFIED

Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:
Strange. I don't see a lot of members having much problems. In fact, the number of flamewars and such is still (relatively spoken) [b]very small. Again, try some other boards and you'll find out that just about every other thread turns into a flamewar.

I say I've done a pretty darn good job so far, and extra moderators will not help make it any better.[/B]

I will agree with that. I am suprised there aren't ALOT more trolls for the size of this forum. The other forums I belong to are far worse than this, and they are smaller. Keep up the good work Cliff.

Loki

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the most part I do what we should ALL do with people who come here to cause shyt.. Ignore them. Ill read there posts and laugh for the most part, but sheesh. Its on the internet. Nothing big unless someone is in my face. Just ignore Trolls and they WILL go away. Simple plain and provine fact. (Where is that pic with the caption " Flame wars on the internet is like... Oh wait, thats not a nice pic, nm )

------------------

WWW.FIEROLOKI.COM
ICQ# 140841625

Shaun41178

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
User Banned

Report this Post04-18-2002 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shaun41178Send a Private Message to Shaun41178Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AWEEEE whats the matter Triad? Your Mangina hurt?

Shutup you P*SSY!!!

Is this the way you want "Triad Motorsports" to be viewed in the public eye? As a damn whiner? Not everyone is going to agree with your method of so called "tuning" to other cars or even Fieros.

So suck it up. Grow some balls.

------------------
Recently acquired Formula 5 spd
All aluminum engine transplant in progress
Shaun41178@hotmail.com
**** FOREVER!

Sleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SleeperSend a Private Message to SleeperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah what he said. ^
TRiAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2002 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You do not know me

You know nothing about me

Yet you judge me

You will one day br judged by your own standards

I will be there

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page