Route 50 by State - This month: Colorado by Just Say Go
Started on: 02-28-2009 08:36 AM
Replies: 5 (320 views)
Last post by: carnut122 on 06-06-2009 09:02 PM
Just Say Go

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2009 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Just Say GoSend a Private Message to Just Say GoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The top ten reasons you don't enjoy a good road trip across Colorado:
10 - you don't have a drivers license yet
9 - you've never been to Colorado
8 - you're just un-American
7 - you think getting high means something illegal
6 - you don't get out much
5 - nothing satisfies you
4 - clean, fresh air is bad for you
3 - a 1,000-foot drop-off 6 inches away from your tires is not your idea of fun
2 - you were sleeping during that part of your family vacation
1 - ? (you reply to complete this one)

So the GAS Route 50 tour has driven across Kansas, stops for the night somewhere near the Colorado state line, and begins a new day of fun and excitement. Go here to see some of the stops we have in mind for the Centennial State:

The Colorado Welcome Center in Lamar is supposed to be a pretty cool place.

About twenty miles south of Lamar, we can check out the largest windfarm in the state.

Near La Junta is Bent's Old Fort National Historic Site.

We hope to take some laps around La Junta Raceway at the airport.

Back to more of our Santa Fe Trail history lesson, the Otero Museum Complex is highly recommended.

In Wulf Berg's book about Route 50, he suggests the Koshare Indian Museum.

We pass through the town of Pueblo, and then we can check out the Museum of Colorado Prisons in CaƱon City.

Next, after just a few turns, we observe the Royal Gorge Suspension Bridge.

Then there is Gunnison, then Black Canyon National Park.

We then cross the Continental Divide at Monarch Pass. Here's a webcam.

By Grand Junction, they say words just cannot describe Colorado National Monument.

From Grand Junction, US-50 joins I-70 to the state line and beyond to the center of Utah.

We don't yet know where the overnight stops will be, until we find out how much time it takes to see these sights and to cross the state. But the locals will inform us, and we'll update the Tour Details page as soon as we get a good guess.

So tell us in what part of GAS you expect to participate. I need photos for the website. Buy some GAS stuff, and get your Fiero some things from our sponsor, The Fiero Store. And spread the word!

Now... what's your idea for a #1 reason someone wouldn't enjoy a road trip across Colorado?

------------------
US-50 | Coast to Coast | www.justsaygo.us/GAS

GAS stuff | The Fiero Store is the exclusive sponsor of GAS

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the coolest things to do at the Royal Gorge, is the helicopter tour, the gorge has to be seen by helicopter to really be apreciated.

Joe
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't been in Colorado since 1970. I was on Rt 70, then up Rt 25 to Cheyenne Wy That was a long drive from Kansas City I had wanted to stop in Denver, but there was some conference in town and all the places were full.
Just Say Go

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Just Say GoSend a Private Message to Just Say GoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by motoracer838:

One of the coolest things to do at the Royal Gorge, is the helicopter tour, the gorge has to be seen by helicopter to really be apreciated.

Joe

I received the following reply from Royal Gorge Helitours:

"We offer 3 flights, 8, 16 and 24 miles. The cost is $47, $83, and $130 per person, minimum of 2 people and can take up to 6 at a time. No reservations, just walk-ins. I can offer you a group rate for 15 or more people."

Just an FYI.

Edit to add... twisties near Gunnison...

And another (you're welcome!)...

[This message has been edited by Just Say Go (edited 04-30-2009).]

Just Say Go

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2009 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Just Say GoSend a Private Message to Just Say GoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the following from AuNROD. Sounds great. I'm going to rearrange the schedule to fit these things in.

- - - - - - - - - -

We just got back from our vacation in western Colorado, and points west, to find 3 must see stops on the GAS Tour, you might be interested in.

1. Delta, Colorado
2. Gateway, Colorado
3. Colorado National Monument

As you travel along RT. 50, about 45 miles south of Grand Junction, you come into a town called Delta. Besides a great 'chile-burger' at the Stock Yard Restaurant, you come upon "Orval's Used Cars" lot (9155 Main Streeet). This is not just a used car lot, but this guy specializes in vintage used cars of the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's & 60's. We have been there a couple times, and he always seems to have a good stock of cars.

Then about 30 miles north of Delta, you come upon Rt.141. It's a beautiful 43 mile scenic drive from Rt. 50 to "Gateway, Colorado", but worth every minute of time. In Gateway, you will find the "Gateway Auto Museum" (www.gatewayautomuseum.com), a collection of some 40 cars out of the past, including the 1954 Oldsmobile F-88 dream car designed by Harley Earl. Mr. Hendricks (who owned the Discovery Channel) won the bid on Barret-Jackson for the Olds @ $3.24 million. Along with the Olds you will find a 1906 Cadillac, a 1913 Pierce Arrow, a 1936 Auburn plus a whole bunch more. They have a restuarant, gift shop, Motel and lots more there too. They have all kind of package deals there. One called the MOTOR HEAD deal, for some 57.00 you can stay at the Inn and get 2 passes to the Museum. Maybe Hendrick himself will come around, since his ranch is just up the road. Maybe a deal can be had here. The package I like is the "5 days, 5 cars, 1 unforgettable adventure". As you're driving to Gateway, keep to the right and keep your eye in your mirror, because a Lambo or GT-40 might fly by you like you're sitting still. Check it out.

The last stop I see you have already listed on the must see list. But did you know you can jump off RT 50 on RT. 340 and follow the signs to Colorado National Monument (it is a National Park), and see the wonders of nature's beautiful works of the wind, rain, sun and gravity. But did you know you can drive THRU the park for some 29 miles, come out on RT. 340 go on to a town called Fruita, Colorado, and then rejoin Rt. 50.

Just some suggestions. And worth our time spent in Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! All unforgettable.

- - - - - - - - - -

Thanks, AuNROD!
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2009 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, is the GAS tour under way? Never mind, I'm a year early!

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 06-07-2009).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock