Started on: 01-16-2024 11:55 AM
Replies: 5 (128 views)
Last post by: williegoat on 01-18-2024 11:35 AM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2024 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Long story short... I have a Bowflex which I absolutely love. I recently removed it from my garage to give my daughter more room to work on her car, and I moved / reassembled it under a covered / screened lanai that we have here in Florida.

Almost overnight, I'm starting to see rust form on some spots of the metal, like the clasps and stuff. This really irks me, and I'm thinking of moving it back. It's amazing to me that a garage (which has no air conditioning and essentially also has exposure to the outside air from vents... could be so drastically different. When I went out on the Lanai, everything was covered with dew from the humidity this morning.

Question... is there ANYTHING I can do to eliminate the moisture on this?

Would putting a canvas tarp (not a plastic one) over the equipment prevent dew from forming on it? Do I have to enclose the lanai with plexiglass?

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2024 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lanais are always enclosed.
If yours is not, it's a porch or patio.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2024 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Covering won't help often make it worse.
+ Several bowflex units/kits have bees recall. Go to bowflex or www.cpsc.gov

Moisture & other crap in air can affect bowflex items even if doesn't rust you see.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2024 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What kind of surface is on the parts that are rusting? If it is not the entire unit then maybe just paint the parts that are rusting.

BTW When I was younger I did a good bit of lifting. A lot of meatheads scoffed at the bowflex as a "gimmick", but it is actually a very good machine if used properly.

[This message has been edited by BingB (edited 01-17-2024).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2024 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. I love this thing... but yeah, it's a porch on the back of the house that's screened in. It sits on a large concrete slab that's insulated, and sits probably a foot high from the ground, and the slab is about 3 feet thick (though likely only 2 feet thick in the center, but the wall is 3 feet). I've noticed that the clasps started rusting, almost immediately. Nothing else really has yet, but it's only been outside for 4 days.

What I find interesting is that I don't have any air conditioning or heat in the garage, and yet everything remains completely rust free in there. There are vents on the side of the building, and also in the garage door. So how is there not dew inside the garage, but there is on the patio? Is it because of the ability for the garage to maintain a more stable (slower transition) of temperature change, and therefore it doesn't create condensation / dew?

I could enclose my patio and then make it a lanai...

Ugh... so no possibility that if I put a canvas (almost like a burlap) tarp over the machine when I'm not using it, that it could make a difference? Not like a plastic tarp... but one of those painters sheets if you will...
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2024 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are close to the shore, it could be the salt air.

When I lived in Ormond Beach back in the late '60s, my neighbor had a new Gibson SG that started to show spots in the chrome, after the first night he left the windows open. We were about 1,600' from the Atlantic.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock