Started on: 02-26-2021 01:21 AM
Replies: 4 (286 views)
Last post by: MidEngineManiac on 01-08-2022 06:00 PM
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2021 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What could be better than a nice warm fire in the fireplace?

Well, I won't have to clean up afterwards.

The fire is actually a 3 x 5 foot canvas that put I put up with velcro. Found this on line, was really cheap, only 8 dollars.

It turned out looking pretty good. I mainly put it up to hide the dirty fireplace.

The canvas is flat across the opening, but gives the 3D illusion of being curved. I got lucky that the bricks lined up pretty close – as I couldn’t see while I was half way inside the fireplace installing it.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 01-08-2022).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2021 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:
The fire is actually a 3 x 5 foot canvas that put I put up with velcro. Found this on line, was really cheap, only 8 dollars.

It turned out looking pretty good. I mainly put it up to hide the dirty fireplace.

Here's a close up.

It does look good. Where on-line ?

The wife has been wanting one of those fake fireplace electric heaters. Which imitates a fire even if the heat is not in use.

Yours might fit my bill.

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 02-26-2021).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2021 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

It does look good. Where on-line ?

The wife has been wanting one of those fake fireplace electric heaters. Which imitates a fire even if the heat is not in use.

Yours might fit my bill.

Hope this link works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/p...00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The product is shipped folded in a plastic bag. Instructions gives some hints how to eliminate the folds. I laid it out on a table and the fold lines relaxed.

I had rolls of velcro, 3/4" by 75' line. Over the years, I've found many uses for these velcro rolls, it's much better & cheaper then buying those small packages of velcro.

I started by lining the lip on the inside of the fireplace with a continuous line of velcro on all four edges. Folded the canvas edges over to get it close to the size of the opening, then worked on each strip across the top and sides pulling the canvas taught between each strip. The remaining loose canvas was worked make a smooth look.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 01-09-2022).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2022 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update 2022: I noticed with some strong winds, the canvas would move a bit. I took the canvas down, check the damper, it was not sealed well. Took some Gorilla tape and sealed it better. I left a note for any future owners to remove tape before using.

Long story short, I had some insulation foam board that I cut to size and wrapped the canvas around it. I squeezed it into place, now the canvas looks better and wont sag or move in the wind. Found an inexpensive glass fireplace screen to finish off the illusion.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 01-09-2022).]

MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-08-2022 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it

Cliff: We have 2 of those fake-electric fireplace heaters, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. They make great TV stands and are actually pretty handy for those fall/spring nights where a little heat is needed but it's not worth turning on the whole system, or like last night (-18 C) where the regular system just couldnt keep up with an old building.

They are pretty popular here too for room heating. Keep the central system low (60-65 F or so) to save energy and just supplement the rooms you are actually in.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 01-08-2022).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock