Started on: 02-23-2021 09:29 AM
Replies: 10 (213 views)
Last post by: blackrams on 02-24-2021 08:37 PM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had a good friend pass last week due to complications associated with COVID, the family has asked me to fly to DFW and retrieve his Ford F350 and 40ft triple axle RV, taking it to Phoenix. None of them has ever driven a rig like this. I'm happy to help however I can. I have checked with the Texas HP and the roads shouldn't be an issue (assuming Mother Nature doesn't take another dump on Texas), Just thought I'd check with any Texans along that route for things I may not be aware of.

I've been traveling like this for a long time but, not sure about conditions west of Dallas. Fuel stops should not be a problem but, there may be other issues I am not aware of.
Helpful comments are welcomed. If one doesn't ask, one might get surprised.

As my good friend Cliffw pointed out, I20 is not the complete route, it's I10. I20 only gets me part way there.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-27-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
unless it's been altered, there's a 6 percent grade and a sharp ā€œSā€ curve on Ranger Hill, with 8 percent banking and no frontage roads about 50 mi W of Weatherford
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

unless it's been altered, there's a 6 percent grade and a sharp ā€œSā€ curve on Ranger Hill, with 8 percent banking and no frontage roads about 50 mi W of Weatherford

That spot is currently under construction: https://www.txdot.gov/insid...i20-ranger-hill.html

https://drivetexas.org/#/10...98.4072?future=false (you can check here for any adverse conditions)

Camera: https://its.txdot.gov/ITS_W...stland%20Area&t=cctv

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 02-23-2021).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a long drive. Probably over 1000 miles.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Thanks for that info. I'm told this modified RV trailer is tail heavy, information like this is good to know.

Originally posted by williegoat:

That spot is currently under construction: https://www.txdot.gov/insid...i20-ranger-hill.html

https://drivetexas.org/#/10...98.4072?future=false (you can check here for any adverse conditions)

Thanks, not flying to DFW till Monday, leaving Tuesday morning. My friend was a traveling motorcycle mechanic, there's a bike (Valkyrie) in some point of assembly or disassembly, have to address that first. Then to put up and secure the different stuff in the trailer and put everything into travel mode. As I indicated above, I'm told this RV gooseneck is tail heavy. I guess will find out.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wichita:

That's a long drive. Probably over 1000 miles.

Around 1100 miles from point of pick up to destination.

Rams
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't like tail heavy, especially on slick roads. It makes the drive axles feel like they are on ice.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't like tail heavy, especially on slick roads. It makes the drive axles feel like they are on ice.

Agreed, first thing I'll do once that bike is off loaded is to see if I can move some weight forward. Haven't seen this rig so, I really can't comment but, you are correct.
The tail wagging the dog is not a good thing. I learned of the heavy tail from my friend's dad, I really don't know how significant it is, I guess we'll find out.
Every trip is an adventure.

Rams
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2021 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interstate 20, DFW to Phoenix

Interstate 20 doesn't go to Phoenix. Interstate 20 ends west of Pecos and you will be taking Interstate 10 to Phoenix.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2021 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Interstate 20 doesn't go to Phoenix. Interstate 20 ends west of Pecos and you will be taking Interstate 10 to Phoenix.

Ya got me, was obviously headed to the beaches in AZ and got confused. Why do you think they call me Wrong Way Rams.............

Actually, when I posted that, I hadn't even looked, was going off what my friends dad said. That could be the reason I got that nickname.

Maybe I should have said TOWARD Phoenix...............

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-24-2021).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2021 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

I figured Blackrams knew where he was going. Besides, if you keep going west on I-20, you will get there. The only way you can miss Phoenix is if you turn around and go the other way.

I was on that route with some friends a few years back. We were on 20 west, Toyah, Pecos, somewhere around there, and the kid who was driving (I say kid...he was about 40 or so) said, "Don't let me miss my exit"
I said "Don't worry, just keep going"
He: "I don't want to get lost"
Me: "Just stay on this road, you'll get there"

He thought I was just being an ass. He has known me all his life.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 02-24-2021).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2021 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I figured Blackrams knew where he was going. Besides, if you keep going west on I-20, you will get there.

Appreciate the vote of confidence, I've always got to where ever I was headed. I almost always travel the most efficient route to get there. The only variance I would make would be to go visit someone I thought was worth visiting. Maybe that's how I got that name, Wrong Way Rams. My most frequently asked question was how to get to Omaha. Didn't matter where I was headed, Bugs used to ask that.

Still interested in seeing those beaches in AZ, I understand it's "hot" property. Or will be once CA falls into the ocean.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-24-2021).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay