Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  First, Bruce gets loose, now the tribe's a gibe: another Jeep shot...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
First, Bruce gets loose, now the tribe's a gibe: another Jeep shot... by williegoat
Started on: 02-22-2021 06:13 PM
Replies: 21 (401 views)
Last post by: sourmash on 02-26-2021 10:00 PM
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chief of Cherokee Nation Says 'It's Time' for Jeep to Stop Using Name

“I’m sure this comes from a place that is well-intended, but it does not honor us by having our name plastered on the side of a car," Chuck Hoskin, Jr., principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, told Car and Driver in a written statement responding to our request for comment on the issue. "The best way to honor us is to learn about our sovereign government, our role in this country, our history, culture, and language and have meaningful dialogue with federally recognized tribes on cultural appropriateness."

Another...uh... feather in the cap of the "cancel culture". I guess somebody got a bee in their war bonnet.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The real issue is.....how much will Jeep have to write a check for to make them 'feel better'.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

The real issue is.....how much will Jeep have to write a check for to make them 'feel better'.

I'd drop them like a hot potato. Car companies make up names all day long. Rebadge the Cherokee and call it FU2.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-22-2021 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

I'd drop them like a hot potato. Car companies make up names all day long. Rebadge the Cherokee and call it FU2.

Naw, the vehicle formerly known as the Cherokee.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 02-22-2021).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Call it the Nada.

Nada Cherokee
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Call it the Nada.

Nada Cherokee

Or, the Lizzy Warren.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always thought the vehicle was named after Cherokee, North Carolina.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-23-2021 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bet the Cherokee don't remember the name of the people they stole "their" land from.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What does this portend for Paul Revere and the Raiders and The New Christy Minstrels?

They are probably plotting to tear down Paul Revere statues anyway. And minstrels? Well, need I say more?
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:
I bet the Cherokee don't remember the name of the people they stole "their" land from.

I like that thought. It's not something that I can remember ever thinking about before.

At the same time, I can sort of imagine how some of the Indigenous Americans or people who have that in their ancestry could feel "dissed" or "objectified" by the use of "Cherokee" as part of the Jeep "Cherokee" branding and marketing.

Yesterday I encountered the word "metonymy" which I was not familiar with and decided to look up.

The substitution of the name of an attribute or adjunct for that of the thing meant, for example suit for business executive, or the track for horse racing.

So I think a good play for the Jeep division would be to announce the coming retirement of the Jeep "Cherokee" name and plan to replace it with Jeep "Fortitude." Or some other metonymy of that kind.

Unless they just want to say "the quiet part out loud" and go with "Our customers and potential customers overwhelmingly approve of the Jeep 'Cherokee' name. They know it honors the distinctive culture and contributions of the Cherokee nation and its descendants to our great country. If Chief 'What's His Face' has to have a hissy-fit about it and chooses to prefer some other manufacturer's road vehicles over ours, that's OK with us."

Or they could get cute and change it to the Jeep Karaoke. A kind of phono or phonetic-pun.

Such are my thoughts.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I guess somebody got a bee in their war bonnet.

More likely someone didn't get heap big wampum "licensing fee" from Fiat Chrysler Corporation for use of the "Cherokee" name.

Let's Hopi they don't try to Sioux someone....

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 02-23-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-23-2021 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They should call it the TONTO.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something's always bound to offend somebody. How 'bout this? Ford Car One, Ford Car Two, Ford Truck One, Ford SUV One, Ford Smaller SUV One, etc. Chevy, Dodge, Kia, etc can use the same naming pattern although at some point someone will get offended by Ford (wasn't he the coward that shot someone back in the wild west?). RAM will have to go, too. Too violent. Kia stands for Killed In Action. Soldiers will have an issue with that. No more Subaru, either. SubaRU? ROO? Kangaroo??? Do you know what those crazy people down under have done to kangaroos??? Stellantis will be no more. Sounds like stiletto. I had an ex wife who wore stilettos and I didn't get along with her. Now, I'm offended by that connotation. Should I go on?
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:
Something's always bound to offend somebody. How 'bout this? Ford Car One, Ford Car Two, Ford Truck One, Ford SUV One, Ford Smaller SUV One, etc. Chevy, Dodge, Kia, etc can use the same naming pattern although at some point someone will get offended by Ford (wasn't he the coward that shot someone back in the wild west?). RAM will have to go, too. Too violent. Kia stands for Killed In Action. Soldiers will have an issue with that. No more Subaru, either. SubaRU? ROO? Kangaroo??? Do you know what those crazy people down under have done to kangaroos??? Stellantis will be no more. Sounds like stiletto. I had an ex wife who wore stilettos and I didn't get along with her. Now, I'm offended by that connotation. Should I go on?

Ford, RAM, Kia, Subaru, Stellantis.

What do these brand names all have in common?

Click to show

I used the Internet to find references on the origins of "Kia", "Subaru" and "Stellantis."

--> rinselberg FactChecker

The message from Monkeyman is Mostly False. It's a "strawman" kind of argument or reaction that does not line up with the facts of the case. Whether or not there are any good reasons for the Jeep Division of Stellantis to think about rethinking their use of 'Cherokee" as a road vehicle name remains an open question. While the underlying sentiment and direction of the Monkeyman message could be well founded, the presentation is not.

I've done my homework. I trust rinselberg. I think you can too.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 02-23-2021).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wait until they hear about Piper... They're going to go on the warpath. Maybe they can use Apache helicopters and Tomahawk missiles. Or, maybe not.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2021 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just waiting for the Woke Police to ban "white" color paint for vehicles, because it represents oppression.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2021 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the word Cherokee is such an offensive name, ... why did they name themselves Cherokees ?

The Grand Cherokee, front line model, ... is that extra offensive. Would they still be offende if it was rebadged as the "Indian". Are they ashamed of themselves ?

Stupidity has no bounds.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2021 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

If the word Cherokee is such an offensive name, ... why did they name themselves Cherokees ?

The Grand Cherokee, front line model, ... is that extra offensive. Would they still be offende if it was rebadged as the "Indian". Are they ashamed of themselves ?

Stupidity has no bounds.

Yeah, there is still the Indian motorcycle and Piper Cherokee, Pawnee and Apache. It just goes to show that it is not about the name or being offended. It is a just a way to cause trouble. Nothing more than a temper tantrum. Somebody wants something. And it might not be the tribe that stirred the pot. It could have been that an outside agitator put a bug in their ear, for his own nefarious reasons.

I don't think the Cherokees named themselves Cherokee. That name seems to come from another tribe. They have a different name for themselves.

There is an indigenous group here that had been called Papago for centuries. One day a few decades ago, they realized that that name was given to them by Spanish missionaries and means "Bean Eater", so now they are called by their own name for themselves, the Tohono O’odham, which means people of the desert. Now, that change makes a lot of sense. There are still a lot of things around here that have kept the name Papago, it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 02-24-2021).]

randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2021 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

There is an indigenous group here that had been called Papago for centuries. One day a few decades ago, they realized that that name was given to them by Spanish missionaries and means "Bean Eater", so now they are called by their own name for themselves, the Tohono O’odham, which means people of the desert.

So they are actually the comedores de frijol Tohono O’odham....
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2021 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Uh hum...

If you're having problems Down there see your doctor about stellantis
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2021 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

They should call it the TONTO.

I'll raise you to the Jeep "Grand Kemosabe".

PFF
System Bot
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-26-2021 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it, lol.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock