Started on: 02-10-2021 07:17 PM
Replies: 29 (404 views)
Last post by: blackrams on 02-15-2021 08:21 AM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was surprised to see this on Facebook Marketplace.

Obviously I don't get out enough but, I thought selling wild game was illegal.

Raccoon Meat for sale
$25 · In Stock
Listed in Purvis, MS
Details
Condition
New
Raccoon Meat for sale
$1.50 a lbs cleaned with feet left
$1.00 a lbs uncleaned
Killed to order
Can deliver
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Squirrel isn't even good eating. Not even in stew.

No idea though.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

Squirrel isn't even good eating. Not even in stew.

No idea though.

Well, I'm not making a judgement call on this. I've eaten things some folks thought was gross but.................
Used to attend an annual wild game feed, ya brought what you had killed and shared. But there was never any selling.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-10-2021).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my way to CA we stopped in the middle of UTAH at a "shopping center" they had every kind of dried meat you could think of.
Had a little green alien head sticker on all of it.
Pass, we got gas and beat it out of there.
sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-10-2021 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He might have a license to offer it. Doesn't read like it though.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Asked the same question from a friend, this was his response:

Don't know about selling it but when I was a youngster in Mo. my uncle would bake them with sweet potatoes. Kinda stringy meat if I remember. My one and only time eating racoon. They leave the feet on to prove it's not a cat.

Hadn't thought about why the paws were left on.

Rams
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the US, Many places is Illegal to Sell most to all meat w/o USDA Inspection done.
Many butchers have USDA inspection to sell any meat from nearly any animal Not on Endanger Species List or otherwise Not Restricted to sell.

We had a butcher decades ago that USDA Inspections a few times per hunting season so people can sell Deer meat to local Grocers, restaurants, etc.

Not sure legal or not but many here sell
Raccoon Squirrel and Muskrat often w/ signs outside that anyone can see. All are classed as Vermin w/ little or no limit to kill and no "season" for them.

Many areas have Huge problems w/ Rabies in Raccoons and others.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Legal here as long as it is inspected.
There are some caveats tho, regarding where the carcass came from.

I would take this old article with a grain of salt....
https://greensboro.com/racc...c9-080e90a81655.html

SILSBEE, Texas — Lynn Briscoe and her family have followed a Super Bowl tradition for years: invite friends and relatives over to watch the game, talk about which is the funniest commercial and cook a raccoon.

“It’s delicious. If you haven’t eaten one, you don’t know what you’re missing,” said Briscoe, who has eaten raccoon all her life.

Super Bowl Sunday is a day when many people, including those who don’t know a touchdown from a first down, plan parties where they serve an assortment of food. In many Southeast Texas homes, that includes raccoon.

“Super Bowl weekend is one of my busiest times. I can sell 300 to 500 before the weekend is over,” said Ivy Jackson, owner of Silsbee Quality Meat Market & Smoke House.

What’s expected to be a busy week leading up to the Super Bowl on Feb. 6 will be the highlight of what has already been a busy raccoon season.

“This year has been crazy,” said James Drake, owner of Bo’s Meat Market in Jasper, Texas, where roughly 3,500 raccoons have been sold since the start of raccoon trapping season Nov. 1.

“The word is out. There’s a lot of new people buying this year,” Drake said by telephone from Jasper.

Jackson has sold about 3,000 raccoons at his market since early November. He expects to sell another 4,000 before trapping season ends April 5.

Part of the appeal of raccoon meat could be its cost. Raccoons generally are sold three for $12. “It’s cheap meat,” Jackson said.

Don’t think the low price means customers aren’t discriminating.

“If it doesn’t have the feet attached, I can’t give it away. People want the feet attached to know they’re getting a real raccoon,” Jackson said.

Raccoons, which are stored frozen and away from other meat, are sold skinned with their heads, feet and tails attached. Meat markets and other dealers must have a license from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to sell raccoons because they are fur-bearing animals.

Raccoons are known carriers of the rabies virus, and raccoon meat sold in licensed markets is not inspected. Those who occasionally dine on raccoon meat say any risk of contracting rabies through consumption seems unlikely.

“I’ve sold them for the last 10 years and I’ve never known a person to have gotten rabies from eating one,” Jackson said.

Raccoon can be prepared much like any other meat. It can be barbecued, boiled or baked. Briscoe said raccoon tastes best when made with lots of spices and served with sliced sweet potatoes.
Although Briscoe has eaten raccoon meat since she was a child, it’s hardly the mainstay of her diet.

“You can’t eat it that often. It’s real greasy,” she said.

Raccoon meat’s thick texture and strong, greasy taste is one of the reasons raccoon is a dish many families reserve for holidays or special occasions, like Super Bowl Sunday.

For those who haven’t dined on raccoon and wonder what the masked critter tastes like, Jackson tried his best to draw a comparison.

“It sort of tastes like pork,” he said.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-10-2021).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reference selling wild game;

I have a friend that has a dog with some kind of dietary issue and regular dog food won't cut it. No, I don't know what's wrong or why regular dog food won't provide the nutrition it needs but, they were buying beef to supplement the dogs diet. My friend (the husband) killed his limit of deer and was feeding that to the dog. His wife saw an ad offering to sell venison. She responded and they set up a meet. She arrived and discovered it was a sting and ended getting arrested and then bailed out. She had to pay a fine and was told if she did it again, there would be jail time. She honestly didn't know you could NOT buy deer in Kentucky.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-10-2021).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-10-2021 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope....

and the only people that do it are natives, on their territory (reserves).

You get less time for killing a human than an animal to sell here. Control pests and vermin, OK. Hunt for sport or food, OK. Commercial hunting ? You're screwed.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 02-10-2021).]

OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2021 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not legal in NY unless it is farm raised with a permit. I think it needs to be inspected too, but not sure.
Marc

[This message has been edited by OldsFiero (edited 02-11-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2021 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OldsFiero:

Not legal in NY unless it is farm raised with a permit. I think it needs to be inspected too, but not sure.
Marc

That may be the case here also. Will ask around and see what I can find out.

"Coon" just doesn't sound that appetizing to me. Then again, I didn't think Rattlesnake would be good. It's all in the way it's prepared.

Rams
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2021 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rattlesnake had almost no flavor when I tried it.
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2021 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

Rattlesnake had almost no flavor when I tried it.

I had rattlesnake once at an Elks Club wild game dinner. It was good but without all the seasoning they had on it, I would tend to agree with you. As far as the coon goes, preparation is very important.
Marc
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2021 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have eaten fried rattlesnake numerous times over the decades and almost all the flavor does indeed come from whatever spices/flour/cornmeal/egg mixture were used in the breading it is coated with.
It's a lot like frog legs.
I 1st had snake meat (unknown species) in North Carolina during pre-deployment training, and we just skinned it, pulled the little bit of guts out and chopped off the head and heated it over a sterno stove in little pieces. Very little flavor and it was tough and sinewy. The lizards were about the same way as is alligator tail. But, protein.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-11-2021).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2021 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
I 1st had snake meat (unknown species) in North Carolina during pre-deployment training, and we just skinned it, ...

Hmm ... interesting and funny.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2021 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In Australia feral meat eg goat, pigs camel, deer, rabbit is sold. Native kangaroo
Easy to harvest carp i think.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 02-13-2021).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2021 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

In Australia feral meat eg goat, pigs camel, deer, rabbit is sold. Native kangaroo
Easy to harvest carp i think.

Thanks for the response, that's interesting. I don't pretend to be an expert on the reasons why some or all wild game can't be sold in some places but, I assume it due to some expected inspection criteria or health issues associated with consuming some things by humans. That pretty much says I don't know squat about this topic.

Rams
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2021 06:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't eat the armadillos..
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2021 06:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't eat the armadillos..

Appreciate the advice, never considered doing that. I wouldn't even know how to access any edible meat (assuming there is any).

Rams
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2021 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Thanks for the response, that's interesting. I don't pretend to be an expert on the reasons why some or all wild game can't be sold in some places but, I assume it due to some expected inspection criteria or health issues associated with consuming some things by humans. That pretty much says I don't know squat about this topic.

Rams

I think it has more to do with poaching.
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2021 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Asked the same question from a friend, this was his response:

Hadn't thought about why the paws were left on.

Rams

My mom said that during the depression lots of people sold rabbits. Both home raised and wild. Eventually, Chicago passed a law requiring at least 2 foot be left on the carcass because the bone structure in a cat and rabbit were so similar that it was otherwise difficult to tell a skinned one from the other.

Squirrel is good if parboiled to tenderize it, then battered and pan fried. A squirrel that eats a lot of acorns is similar in taste to a deer that dines in an oak grove. It tastes better if it has a good source of Hickory Nuts. Living out in the country, we didn't have Turkey for Thaksgiving. It was usually yard chickens, but weather permitting, the grownups would often go out across the farm hunting for rabbits and or squirrel to add to the big family dinner. Rabbit hash is great.

As far as I know, smaller wild game can't legally be sold here in Georgia. There is a hunting season on all small game, or restrictions to killing them. Deer, bear, and wild hog can be sold, but I don't know the requirements.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 02-13-2021).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2021 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

My mom said that during the depression lots of people sold rabbits. Both home raised and wild. Eventually, Chicago passed a law requiring at least 2 foot be left on the carcass because the bone structure in a cat and rabbit were so similar that it was otherwise difficult to tell a skinned one from the other.

Squirrel is good if parboiled to tenderize it, then battered and pan fried. A squirrel that eats a lot of acorns is similar in taste to a deer that dines in an oak grove. It tastes better if it has a good source of Hickory Nuts. Living out in the country, we didn't have Turkey for Thaksgiving. It was usually yard chickens, but weather permitting, the grownups would often go out across the farm hunting for rabbits and or squirrel to add to the big family dinner. Rabbit hash is great.

As far as I know, smaller wild game can't legally be sold here in Georgia. There is a hunting season on all small game, or restrictions to killing them. Deer, bear, and wild hog can be sold, but I don't know the requirements.

Those are some cool memories. Thanks for sharing.

Rams
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2021 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Dad's first cousin was a game warden in this county during the depression. He told of some pretty hard up folks back in the hills that would poach a deer just to survive. Since the state was trying to rebuild the deer herd back then, he said it was hard to look the other way but he did. He retired from game protector in 1960 and worked for the Department founding and running the states hunter safety program. Thanksgiving for me as a kid in the 60's was deer hunting after milking in the morning, then going to town to Grandma's for a big dinner with aunts, uncles and cousins. Weather permitting, we would play touch football before dinner. After dinner, we all would visit and or watch the ball game.
Fun times.
Marc
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2021 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My Dad's first cousin was a game warden in this county during the depression. He told of some pretty hard up folks back in the hills that would poach a deer just to survive. Since the state was trying to rebuild the deer herd back then, he said it was hard to look the other way but he did. He retired from game protector in 1960 and worked for the Department founding and running the states hunter safety program. Thanksgiving for me as a kid in the 60's was deer hunting after milking in the morning, then going to town to Grandma's for a big dinner with aunts, uncles and cousins. Weather permitting, we would play touch football before dinner. After dinner, we all would visit and or watch the ball game.
Fun times.
Marc

Yep, more good memories. Thanks for sharing.

Rams
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2021 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanksgiving for me as a kid in the 60's was deer hunting after milking in the morning, then going to town to Grandma's for a big dinner with aunts, uncles and cousins.

Were they "inspected" ?

Thanks for the story.
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2021 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Were they "inspected" ?

Thanks for the story.

The cousins? Not by me. Grandma and Grandpa always had a big ole store bought turkey and every one brought a dish to pass. About 40 years ago I tried to shoot my Thanksgiving turkey. They won't let me in the supermarket with a shotgun anymore, so it's been wild turkey ever since for my family. My wife insists that at least one of the birds I harvest be left whole so she can stuff it for Thanksgiving. I guess that means we have our own family tradition.
Marc
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2021 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The cousins? Not by me. Grandma and Grandpa always had a big ole store bought turkey and every one brought a dish to pass. About 40 years ago I tried to shoot my Thanksgiving turkey. They won't let me in the supermarket with a shotgun anymore, so it's been wild turkey ever since for my family. My wife insists that at least one of the birds I harvest be left whole so she can stuff it for Thanksgiving. I guess that means we have our own family tradition.
Marc

If ya know what you're doing, wild game (to include Coon) is a good way to go. While I've help butcher hogs, cattle and chicken, I do not consider myself an expert and would never attempt to butcher anything own my own without a knowledgeable person supervising. It's just been too long since I did something like that.

Rams
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2021 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you get hungry enough you will butcher anything.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2021 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you get hungry enough you will butcher anything.

Yes, myself and four other Marines figured out how to cook some things I wouldn't touch today during some desert survival training in CA. I'll just say that the hunger pains were gone for a while.

Rams

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock