Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Long hailed as a 'living fossil,' Coelacanth fish exposed as Evolving Under The Radar

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Long hailed as a 'living fossil,' Coelacanth fish exposed as Evolving Under The Radar by rinselberg
Started on: 02-10-2021 03:23 PM
Replies: 16 (177 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 02-10-2021 09:06 PM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Newly compiled genetic data reveals that the celebrated Coelacanth species, loosely referred to as a "living dinosaur," has actually been evolving in the finest neo-Darwinian tradition and even during the most recent 10 million years. Some 62 of its most recently acquired genes are the product of Horizontal gene transfers.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

"Bizarre Coelacanth Hasn't Spent 65 Million Years Unchanged After All, Its Genome Reveals"
Tessa Koumoundouros for Science Alert; February 10, 2021.
https://www.sciencealert.co...l-its-genome-reveals

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 02-10-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I opened this thread thinking it would be about Nancy Pelosi.

Originally posted by rinselberg:

acquired genes are the product of Horizontal gene transfers.

Horizontal.....isn't that the way genes are usually transferred?

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 02-10-2021).]

randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I opened this thread thinking it would be about Nancy Pelosi.

Horizontal.....isn't that the way genes are usually transferred?

Yeah, something smells fishy about that...
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

randye

13769 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Coelacan

Because I prefer obscure fish to be more positive about things.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 02-10-2021).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of us transfer jeans vertically; except fat people that have to lay down on the bed to do it.

But, exactly how many years has this fish's genes gone unchanged?
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The important question is do you eat your Coelacanth breaded and deep fried or just un-breaded with a little butter, lemon and dill garnish....

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 02-10-2021).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I eat mine with some fava beans and a nice chianti.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

The important question is do you eat your Coelacanth breaded and deep fried or just un-breaded with a little butter, lemon and dill garnish....

Neighbors of yours?
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Most of us transfer jeans vertically; except fat people that have to lay down on the bed to do it.

But, exactly how many years has this fish's genes gone unchanged?

It has been commonly said that the Coelacanth (I think there are more than one species) is a lobe-finned fish that first appears in the fossil record 360 million years ago and has persisted to this day without evolving. First known only from fossil evidence and previously thought to have long been extinct, the first live specimen was discovered in 1938.

Of course, they do not have any DNA samples from the oldest fossils, or any Coelacanth fossils (that I'm aware of.) These findings, that it has acquired new genes in its DNA during the most recent 10 million years, are inferred, and I cannot explain how they come to that conclusion. I guess it's partly apparent from the article. I'd have to review it more carefully.

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rinselberg

16118 posts
Member since Mar 2010
Seeing the comments about dining on Coelacanth just jogged my memory.

Don't... unless you think the novelty of it is worth bringing on yourself a case of acute diarrhea.

Don't... because you wouldn't even be the first to do it.

I am just going to offer the links without my usual standardized Internet page citation format.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/wha...storic-beast-5872924

https://www.connectsavannah.../Content?oid=2136175

https://www.wired.com/2015/...un-facts-coelacanth/
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Seeing the comments about dining on Coelacanth just jogged my memory.

Don't... unless you think the novelty of it is worth bringing on yourself a case of acute diarrhea.

Don't... because you wouldn't even be the first to do it.

I am just going to offer the links without my usual standardized Internet page citation format.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/wha...storic-beast-5872924

https://www.connectsavannah.../Content?oid=2136175

https://www.wired.com/2015/...un-facts-coelacanth/

From one of your links:

One of the first people to encounter the coelacanth in the twentieth century described it as poor smelling, "mucus-covered" - a quality rarely associated with decent food.

That perfectly describes okra.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okra Winfrey?
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Okra Winfrey?

Up in your corner of the world, they probably call it something fancy like Bhindi Arcadien, served with a fine langostino etuffee.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 02-10-2021).]

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-10-2021 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some people are just.looking to get fleeced.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...the celebrated Coelacanth species,

Did I miss a party ? I didn't think so.

Okra Winfrey?

That's funny.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Up in your corner of the world, they probably call it something fancy like Bhindi Arcadien, served with a fine langostino etuffee.

I had to look that up. Squat lobster.
I was curious because I have eaten what seems like 9 gondola carloads of Langusta (spiny lobster), mostly during the years I lived in Cuba.
They were everywhere there in Guantanamo Bay, huge in size, very sweet taste and there was no limit on them at that time.
We probably had them 2-3 times each week.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-10-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock