Started on: 02-10-2021 08:29 AM
Replies: 15 (266 views)
Last post by: Monkeyman on 02-11-2021 03:01 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-10-2021 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK.....

It's now "Pearl"

NOW what are you gonna do about it ? GOT your own way, didnt ya ??

https://abcnews.go.com/Busi...ing-company-75789910

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-10-2021 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From memory, the company patterned the original figurine bottles and visage from a real woman. The family was consulted at some point too.

The earlier stuff with her image is pretty collectible.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If they had done their research, they would have realized. She was a pioneer, for the African Americans.
Nancy Green (March 4, 1834 – August 30, 1923) was a former slave, nanny, cook, activist, and the first of many African-American models hired to promote a corporate trademark as "Aunt Jemima". The Aunt Jemima recipe was not her recipe, but she became the advertising world's first living trademark.
Born: March 4, 1834
Died: August 30, 1923, Chicago
Sad that these people have tried to erase history, one of Americas Great women pioneers.
In 2014, a lawsuit was filed against Quaker Oats, PepsiCo, and others, claiming that Green and Anna Short Harrington (who portrayed Aunt Jemima starting in 1935) were exploited by the company and cheated out of the monetary compensation they were promised. The plaintiffs were two of Harrington's great-grandsons, and they sought a multi-billion dollar settlement for descendants of Green and Harrington.The lawsuit was dismissed with prejudice and without leave to amend on February 18, 2015
Further reading. https://aaregistry.org/stor...riginal-aunt-jemima/
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-10-2021 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The REAL funny thing is, give them a year and the left will be protesting and rioting that "Pearl" is too white and racist.

IF it takes that long.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-10-2021 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the natural progression of racists.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, can anyone tell me just what was the "negative racial stereotype" implied by Aunt Jemima? A woman who can cook? Is that a "black thing"?
Did she have a fling with Uncle Ben? And just what did Uncle Ben convert all that rice to, or should I not ask?
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Garbage syrup anyone. Maple or if cheap butter pecan. Dumb folding to everyone all the time though. Hardly seems racist. Whitewashing; is this Tom Sawyer irony?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:
Sad that these people have tried to erase history, one of Americas Great women pioneers.

C'mon, get it right. "One of Americas Great women of color pioneers".
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They may have gone out of business or merged with another company...
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pearl makes me think of a little girl from Texas:

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2021 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

They may have gone out of business or merged with another company...

I don't know if this is the one... but that same sign is still standing when you drive by an exit off I-10 near Katy / Houston Texas.

Obviously as you know, the one in San Antonio was redeveloped and called "The Pearl" ... but I'm not aware of any huge sign other than what's on the water tower.

Can you still buy that beer? I've never actually had Pearl beer.
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2021 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The same sign was present not far off I-10 in Beaumont as of 2016. It was in rough condition then but I haven't been East on I-10 since that year.

Pearl was the best selling brand in Texas at one time.
"Pearl's my girl!" was common verbage back in the 60s
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2021 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The same sign was present not far off I-10 in Beaumont as of 2016. It was in rough condition then but I haven't been East on I-10 since that year.

Pearl was the best selling brand in Texas at one time.
"Pearl's my girl!" was common verbage back in the 60s

I think that's the one I'm thinking of... I drive by Beaumont a couple of times a year.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2021 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maryjane's picture is from San Antonio.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 02-11-2021).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2021 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Maryjane's picture is from San Antonio.

Absolutely. You can tell by the 'smokestack' and architecture of the stately building in the background, which I think is the old San Antonio Brewers Assoc building.
At one time it was Pearl's own but the signage near the top has said different things over the decades. When I first visited 'Bexar' in the late 50s/early 60s, it was one of the larger buildings in the city.
https://www.ksat.com/news/2...s-of-iconic-brewery/
(I can assure ya--there's nothing to match that in Beaumont. I always found Beaumont to be a bit run down and sleazy looking)

Todd can probably add more since he lives there now.

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2021 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lone Wolf McQuades favorite (and only) beer!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock