Started on: 01-09-2021 11:53 AM
Replies: 18 (269 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 01-10-2021 07:51 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01...lane-intl/index.html
50 passengers and 12 crew aboard the older Boeing 737. This obviously will not end well. Looks like airspeed increased from 285 kts to about 350kts on the way down.
Flight 182 lost contact 11 nautical miles north of Jakarta's Soekarno--Hatta International Airport at an altitude of 11,000 feet while climbing to 13,000 feet, officials said.
The plane dropped 10,000 feet in less than a minute before disappearing from the radar, according to the global flight tracking service Flightradar24. The drop happened about four minutes after takeoff, it said.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post01-09-2021 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A couple of Conspiracy radio shows about the last one stated that patent holders (a dozen or 3?) from one entity were on the last one and that the beneficiaries of the patents lived in China or Israel (foggy memory now). Probably Alex Jones's guest was one of them. Yeah I know what it sounds like. I didn't invent the information so don't assail me, please. I'm asking if anyone knows of that?

[This message has been edited by sourmash (edited 01-09-2021).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know how reliable the source is but:

Fisherman Solihin, who goes by one name, told the BBC Indonesian service he had witnessed a crash and his captain decided to return to land.

"The plane fell like lightning into the sea and exploded in the water," he said.

"It was pretty close to us, the shards of a kind of plywood almost hit my ship."
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fisherman Solihin, who goes by one name, told the BBC Indonesian service he had witnessed a crash and his captain decided to return to land.

"The plane fell like lightning into the sea and exploded in the water," he said.

"It was pretty close to us, the shards of a kind of plywood almost hit my ship."

A plywood 737...
I knew Boeing had really gone downhill over the last few years, but that's pretty bad there..but not all that surprising either.
Of course, they are HQ'd in Washington State, one of the leading forestry producing states and plywood could be considered a renewable resource so damn the tree huggers, full speed ahead!

(it worked for Howard Hughes...once)
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

A plywood 737...
I knew Boeing had really gone downhill over the last few years, but that's pretty bad there..but not all that surprising either.
Of course, they are HQ'd in Washington State, one of the leading forestry producing states and plywood could be considered a renewable resource so damn the tree huggers, full speed ahead!

(it worked for Howard Hughes...once)

The article says the plane was 26 years old. I'm thinking the plywood back then wasn't as good as today.
My heart goes out to the families of the passengers and crew.

Rams
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

The article says the plane was 26 years old. I'm thinking the plywood back then wasn't as good as today.
My heart goes out to the families of the passengers and crew.

Rams

I was thinking the exact opposite. Today's plywood is crap.

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-09-2021 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was a Mosquito self-identifying as a 737.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't they use some sort of foam sandwich insulation or board in some areas of aircraft?
Bulkheads? Floorboards - especially between cabin and cargo area?

Depending upon the color of the foam, it might be what he saw.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-09-2021).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOTS of insulation of different kinds. Both for sound and temperature control.

I've been away from aviation for a long time so I don't know what they use exactly. Probably whatever is lightest
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-09-2021 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last I saw (20 years ago) it was mostly urathane. yellow/orange in color.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Watching this one too. Details are sketchy at best right now.
PFF
System Bot
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But seriously i hope it wasn't a crash..

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 01-09-2021).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It will be a miracle Jonesy, if it is not the catastrophic crash that is currently being reported.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01...lane-intl/index.html

Three fishermen from Lancang Island told CNN they heard an explosion and experienced a sudden large wave around the time the plane went missing.
"I heard very loud explosion. I thought it was a bomb or a big thunder. We then saw the big wave, about 2 meters high, hitting our boat," Hendrik Mulyadi told CNN.
Hendrik's colleague, Solihin, described the sound as "a bomb on the water." They said it was dark and raining at the time.
The men said they didn't see a plane crash into the sea, but smelled fuel and spotted debris. The men said they returned to shore to report what they experienced to police.

Must have been a relatively big boat. 2 meters is about 6 1/2 feet.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two questions:
1) Is there any reason to suggest that is was anything other than a mechanical failure?
2) Did old 737's have rudder problems?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everything is on the table right now, but the 737-5xx (524 in this instance) is viewed as a very reliable aircraft.
None of the rudder problems associated with the much newer 737 MAX. Completely different controls.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I was thinking the exact opposite. Today's plywood is crap.

You would be correct, being cute is not my strong point.

Rams
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of sites have picked up on this now.
Apparently there are pics of debris, etc.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/ne...enger-plane-23289266
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Lots of sites have picked up on this now.
Apparently there are pics of debris, etc.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/ne...enger-plane-23289266

Some of those pictures look like people's clothes entangled in wiring harnesses. Hopefully, from the baggage compartment.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2021 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And, in other, (other )news, 2021 has begun 'out of the ordinary' for my neck of the woods.

I won't see any accumulation, as it has been raining almost all day, the air temps are above freezing as are the ground temps.

The last snow accumulation I saw here was late january 2011, which turned into the year of the great drought.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock