Started on: 12-20-2020 09:27 AM
Replies: 35 (455 views)
Last post by: Jonesy on 02-27-2021 11:48 AM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2020 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’m looking for a “Quality “ set of kitchen knives for personal use. Have been searching the internet for a while but I am not all that knowledgeable when it comes to this topic.

Not interested in those sets with 15 to 20 knives, 5 to 7 kitchen use knives is what I’m looking for. Suggestions from those with experience would be greatly appreciated.

Cost is not the most important criteria but is always a consideration, quality is my highest priority. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rams
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2020 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We own a set of your huckleberry.

Cutco, Homemaker set. Made in the USA, guaranteed for life, free sharpening for life, ... but ... $1,000.00 a set (in 2011).
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2020 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35921 posts
Member since Jun 2003
For clarification, ours are not for sale.

Huckleberry

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 12-20-2020).]

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post12-20-2020 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:
For clarification, ours are not for sale.

Hard to acquire? I check thrift stores religiously and want to watch out for them.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2020 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Frost Cutlery......

The Art Doctor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2020 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The Art DoctorClick Here to visit The Art Doctor's HomePageSend a Private Message to The Art DoctorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a set of 3 Porsche type 301 knives from back in my 911 days. You can find them online, around 100-200 each piece. Im no chef and Id say they work as good as any others but they do look great and feel good in the hand.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2020 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love my Shun knives, have a set of 4 in a nice storage/display block.

Similar to this set, I bought the knives and block individually so I would have knives I actually use

https://shun.kaiusa.com/cla...arter-block-set.html

Also have a nice set of Wusthof steak knives, never tried their larger knives

https://www.wusthof.com/

Both companies are based in the two cities that are basically known as making the best cutlery in the world.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2020 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another one for Cutco.

Sara grew up with her mom only having 2-3 cutco knives, but they lasted and were one of her mom's most cherished kitchen item. Sara had always wanted a couple of cutco knives.

Funny story... One day early in our relationship Sara was in the garage needing something and I told her to check the top of the tool box. She freaked out when she found two cutco knives. She couldn't understand how I had them and why I would have them in the tool box. I told her I sold them for a short time in college and that I keep all my sharp tools in the tool box... which she said not these anymore. I think if we had broken up, she would have kept them.

A few years back we purchased some additional cutco knives for her mom and Sara expanded our collection as well. Cutco is now banned from the garage...

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 12-20-2020).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2020 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rada knives made by the Amish in USA......I was up in Eastern Oregon to see the eclipse- and tour a Gold Dredge in Sumpter......I made a reservation 2 weeks before the eclipse- all lodging and been locked in for a year, but I happened to mention that I had always wanted to check out their Gold Dredge and the lady told me she had a "No frills room" for $20 a night.

The day before the eclipse they were selling some professional photos of the dredge and surrounding area, along with some knives...."Rada...Hmmm, must be some cheap Chinese knives....wait- Made in Usa....Where is that country located?"

They are well-made knives- available on Amazon.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2020 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Rada knives made by the Amish in USA......I was up in Eastern Oregon to see the eclipse- and tour a Gold Dredge in Sumpter......I made a reservation 2 weeks before the eclipse- all lodging and been locked in for a year, but I happened to mention that I had always wanted to check out their Gold Dredge and the lady told me she had a "No frills room" for $20 a night.

The day before the eclipse they were selling some professional photos of the dredge and surrounding area, along with some knives...."Rada...Hmmm, must be some cheap Chinese knives....wait- Made in Usa....Where is that country located?"

They are well-made knives- available on Amazon.

are the Rada Amish made knives as good as the Amish heaters are?
(just askin for a friend)

Just joking too, as Rada knives seem to get good reviews and at a fraction of what the German knives cost and as you pointed out---- Made in America too . Wustoff otoh, made a lot of knives for the Nazis including almost all the daggers for the early Nazi youth corps.

https://epicartifacts.com/p...h-dagger-by-wusthof/

I'm way to old to be spending $1000 for some kitchen knives but willl ook into the Rada knives.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 12-20-2020).]

sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-20-2020 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's surprising what people give away. Some things bought secondhand don't bother me.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2020 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buying big sets is often a wast of money and space. Most people, even most pros, often only need 2-4 knives.
Most can use maybe a 3-4" pairer, ~8" carver, and ~10 Chef in a good knife.
Bread knife, various spreaders, etc might get to match but I never bother spending money on them. Because If or When they get wreck or lost doesn't matter... just go to whatever and get another < $5 Echo spreader if desperate. Often get good ones at flea markets etc free to $2 so often has 3 or more spreaders laying around. Bread and other knives I rarely use get same way.

Echo is cheap but often well made. Spreader and others often last for decades if not lost going BBQ etc.

Could Go to local store that restaurants use. In some areas is actually The Restaurant Store. (Restaurant Depot needs paid member like BJ etc.)
Why?
Good products and made to meet NSF that nearly all sold at normal retail are not. (Many Health Inspectors even look for NSF mark on many things not just knives)
White Molded Handles maybe ugly but are made to clean easy. Other handles can have small openings where rivets go thru, at seams, etc.
For home use likely will last for decades or lifetime.
Buy whatever knives and sharpening "stick" and learn how to use them. The "Stick" will sharpen or dull even destroy a knife depending who is using it but will last too unlike most sold elsewhere.

Cutco is nice but sold like Avon etc multilevel market headaches and way overprice because of that. I had some, never deal w/ them again and likely not a rare view of them. Use search.

I have some German Henckels ( zwilling.com but many US stores etc have these) that lasted 20+ years now. A few handle rivets are bit iffy on top and a bit hard to clean but rest is still tight w/o gaps even tho people keep leaving them in sink etc.
Henckels and others have different levels and often different prices.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2020 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For me, Henckels or Wusthof have been the most reliable over the years. But more important is what you are cutting ON. People overlook the cutting board when talking about longevity of a good blade.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2020 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

For me, Henckels or Wusthof have been the most reliable over the years. But more important is what you are cutting ON. People overlook the cutting board when talking about longevity of a good blade.

more please.

My usual board is one that is over 50 years old. I know, because I made it in Jr High wood shop class..
Not real sure how safe it is (bacteria retention) but I don't really like the poly 'board' someone gave me last year.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 12-20-2020).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2020 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

more please.

My usual board is one that is over 50 years old. I know, because I made it in Jr High wood shop class..
Not real sure how safe it is (bacteria retention) but I don't really like the poly 'board' someone gave me last year.

I hear you about the plastic/Corian style boards. A nice wood board is the way to go but as you said, who knows about the bacteria.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2020 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I hear you about the plastic/Corian style boards. A nice wood board is the way to go but as you said, who knows about the bacteria.

Well, ... food for thought ... those wood knife storage blocks also can be a bacteria breeding ground. Not so much a worry if your knives are clean when you put them back in.

My first job, McDonalds, we washed, rinsed, then rinsed again in a lite bleach solution to sanitize.

I suppose Lysol spray would work.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2020 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They actually let McDonalds employees handle sharp objects?
Scary thought...
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2020 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They actually let McDonalds employees handle sharp objects?
Scary thought...

There are NO "sharp objects" at a McD's.

I know this because I have tried to order food at a McD's drive thru before.

As far as kitchen tools at home we have both Henckels or Wusthof for cutlery and Eurocast BergHOFF cookware.

The wife and I both like to cook and we like to cook with quality tools that last.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 12-20-2020).]

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2020 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wusthof. Start with a nice Santuko.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2020 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to have a blade with a sharper point than the Santoku. I can't be without a good medium flex boning knife.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 12-21-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2020 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All "cutting boards" dull the knives but some are far worse...

Depending on wood type, is not a bad as many think for retaining germs then anything else between uses. Wood boards dry out when stored and kill many germs as they do that.
But Same as other things for Cross Contaminating if you cut raw meat then make a salad etc. on same dirty board and/or knife.

Big Time to Never Do is leave them wet. Longer surface stays wet, wood will take many hours to days to dry out again. That's even if wood doesn't crack. Crack wood then can't use w/ food. Might use as work surface or bench for other things or firewood if really cracked up. Example: I have wood top commercial shelf "kit" likely cost a lot of money but left out, got wet, and now a small bench in my garage because of cracking.

While easier to clean, Corian and some others will dull a knife fast.

cut on Corian will damage it and while can resurface is not a good plan. While you can get Corian cutting boards, isn't what DuPont made the stuff for.

Some relatively soft plastics are better and easy to trash/recycle when have too much damage and hard to clean.

Many use Hard Plastic and Glass cutting boards and even worse for any knife hitting them. Corning made one years ago under Counter Saver label.

Side Note:
Part of why many use various Serrated edges is so have shape sections can't hit cutting boards, dishes, etc. Cutco and some others even tell you what a great idea it is for this reason.
But you rarely see commercial kitchens w/ them for 2 main reasons...
1. Hard to Impossible to resharpen. They often use a knife in a day that home use won't see same use in years and Ever w/o hitting cutting boards will dull them quick.
2. Often not only hard to clean but many also snags cleaning equipment then can keep small pieces of wash rags, Scotch-Brite, etc.
Likely never get NSF mark on most of them and can Fail Health Inspections.

Even at home, some Serrated knives easily pull of pieces of sponges, scotch-brite, and more when cleaning.
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2020 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can personally recommend both Cutco and Wusthof knives and have used both for a number of years. There are also a number of new ceramic knives that work well and retain sharpness for a very long time. However, they are generally more brittle and can be chipped or damaged by dropping.

Nelson
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2020 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

I can personally recommend both Cutco and Wusthof knives and have used both for a number of years. There are also a number of new ceramic knives that work well and retain sharpness for a very long time. However, they are generally more brittle and can be chipped or damaged by dropping.

Nelson

The ceramic knives are incredible, literally razor sharp. I have one that I use just for cutting tomatoes.

I wash it by hand because it is fragile and the first time I did so, I sliced my finger open and didn't even feel it until I saw the blood. That is how sharp it is.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2020 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

are the Rada Amish made knives as good as the Amish heaters are?
(just askin for a friend)

Just joking too, as Rada knives seem to get good reviews and at a fraction of what the German knives cost and as you pointed out---- Made in America too . Wustoff otoh, made a lot of knives for the Nazis including almost all the daggers for the early Nazi youth corps.

https://epicartifacts.com/p...h-dagger-by-wusthof/

I'm way to old to be spending $1000 for some kitchen knives but willl ook into the Rada knives.

First, I've learned a bunch in this thread, mostly about what I didn't know....
Thanks for the advice.

I like the idea of buying an American made product which made me seriously consider Rada but, the price differential had me wondering if, it was really that good. But, no decision has been reached. Told the lady of the house, her other present would arrive after Christmas.

A friend who just retired as a butcher only used Victorinox knives and swears they are the best, he also advised me to get a good steel to sharpen them with.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 12-21-2020).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2020 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not really an answer to your question, but when Tam and I got married, we received a big wooden storage block with a set of kitchen knives (I don't even remember which brand) which included a set of steak knives. The whole shebang.
Tammy called it the "Lizzie Borden Activity Set".
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2020 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Not really an answer to your question, but when Tam and I got married, we received a big wooden storage block with a set of kitchen knives (I don't even remember which brand) which included a set of steak knives. The whole shebang.
Tammy called it the "Lizzie Borden Activity Set".

Yep, I have several friends and relatives with similar knife sets. Some have enough knives in them to do a huge feed with everyone having their own "special" cutlery.
My wife doesn't want such a huge set, she actually suggested a 4 to 7 knife set. So, that's what I'm looking for. I just hope she doesn't develop any knife throwing skills.

Rams
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found this that may help some... before you buy or worse "get hired" by them.
Cutco: The MLM Selling Knives and Lies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6FAo4M3qoQ

Also says metal used to make them plus can See "How It's Made" in 1 or 2 shows. One is knives but can't remember other.
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-21-2021 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a set of these recently, with block and sharpener but not much found online regarding them. They seem decent.

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wosthof and Cutco have been very good to me over the years and I highly recommend them. Good construction, stay sharp for a reasonable time frame, and rugged.

Nelson
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-21-2021 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I kind of like the Freddy Kruger Limited Edition set. There are 10 of them, and they fit your hand like a glove.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 02-21-2021).]

Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old Hickory makes really good kitchen knives.. We sell them in my store.. A tad pricey, but really good quality.

https://www.knifecenter.com/brand/71/Old-Hickory

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 02-22-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

I kind of like the Freddy Kruger Limited Edition set. There are 10 of them, and they fit your hand like a glove.

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2021 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try not to laff...99 cents store kitchen knife's, and the smaller steak knives are avalable. Recently I notice a rainbow blade version.

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 02-25-2021).]

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2021 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

James Bond 007

8868 posts
Member since Dec 2002
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2021 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jonesy:

Old Hickory makes really good kitchen knives.. We sell them in my store.. A tad pricey, but really good quality.

https://www.knifecenter.com/brand/71/Old-Hickory

I have a 'vintage' Old Hickory boning knife that is very good & I've probably had it 40 years myself and likely picked it up at a yard sale. It sharpens well and easily but downside is that it will rust.

Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2021 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have a 'vintage' Old Hickory boning knife that is very good & I've probably had it 40 years myself and likely picked it up at a yard sale. It sharpens well and easily but downside is that it will rust.

All the ones we have are stainless, so that shouldn't be a problem.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock