WTH Canada? by LitebulbwithaFiero
Started on: 11-19-2020 12:19 PM
Replies: 30 (448 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 11-24-2020 04:58 PM
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by LitebulbwithaFiero (edited 08-26-2022).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.clickondetroit....mat-pure-country-89/

Glad I spent so much time creating a great iTunes music collection, listening to the radio now is just painful.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

WTH Canada?

RIP 89x

I assure you... except for a small pocket of people in the Windsor Ontario region, the rest of Canada has absolutely no affiliation and/or even knowledge of 89x.
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2020 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatchya bitchin 'bout....

We are finally giving you some good tunes to listen too !

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I followed RWDPLZ's link and in the article I found this:

The first song of the “Pure Country 89″ era was “Cruise” by Florida-Georgia Line.

Based on that, calling themselves "Pure Country' is akin to CNN calling themselves "News".

Let me know when they play something like this:

Listen and you will hear the greatest pedal steel player ever to slide a bar.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 11-19-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Attention... this is the new country. I admit that Orville Peck is... a little different, but there's no denying that this guy has a great voice.

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Dedicated listeners were warned they probably wouldn’t like the change, according to the announcement".

The article didn't say, but I'll assume the change also brings layoffs to most of the air staff as the new format introduces a whole bunch of syndicated pre-recorded shows and automated programming.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I admit that Orville Peck is... a little different...

What? The Village People didn't need another cowboy?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

What? The Village People didn't need another cowboy?

I get it... the guy's a little different than a lot of us. But hey, I don't care about an entertainer's politics, religion, race, sexual orientation... whatever. If they have talent, and I like what I hear, bring it on. This guy can sing.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-19-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is what it sounds like when a punk rocker goes country:

Marty is playing Clarence White's B-bender and the steel player is Earl Scruggs' grandson.
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2020 04:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by LitebulbwithaFiero (edited 08-26-2022).]

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2020 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is what it sounds like when a punk rocker goes country:

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2020 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I like it. Lots of people don't know that Kenny was a rocker (and a bass player) before he decided Country was where it's at.

rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2020 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
People still listen to the radio?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-21-2020 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:

Worse.

AM radio !!

https://www.facebook.com/country929cfco/

(FM doesn't work down here in a valley. Too low to catch a signal.)
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2020 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As opposed to doing what?
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2020 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I wanted divorced or beheaded (or worse) all I would have to do is disable my wife's car radio.
We could be rollin down the road on 4 flats, steam pouring from the radiator and streaming a long line of engine and transmission oil onto the pavement behind us but the damn radio better be working.

(the one in my truck has rarely ever turned on in the last 12 years... unless she-who-must-be-obeyed is riding with me)
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2020 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Worse.

AM radio !!

https://www.facebook.com/country929cfco/

(FM doesn't work down here in a valley. Too low to catch a signal.)

OK, so I go to the link and this is the first thing I see:

This is what I am talking about. Who can tell me what's wrong with this picture?

Not that it is never done, but it is far from typical in country music. I know someone who knows the difference is going to be triggered. (That's a joke, son.)
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2020 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As opposed to doing what?

Spotify, Pandora, CDs, etc. Why would you want to listen to random songs and commercials when you can listen to whatever you want with no advertisements?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-24-2020 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spotify, Pandora, CDs, etc. Why would you want to listen to random songs and commercials when you can listen to whatever you want with no advertisements?

Honestly, radio is just background company while I'm working outside. If I'm at my desk I have movies streaming, but not really paying attention to them either, just 1/2-way listening. In the truck, I am NOT paying data to stream something when radio is free (well, paid for by tolerating the commercials for crap I'm not gonna buy anyway. I dont pay attention to them either, unless they are irritating enough to shut off the radio).

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 11-24-2020).]

rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2020 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Honestly, radio is just background company while I'm working outside. If I'm at my desk I have movies streaming, but not really paying attention to them either, just 1/2-way listening. In the truck, I am NOT paying data to stream something when radio is free (well, paid for by tolerating the commercials for crap I'm not gonna buy anyway. I dont pay attention to them either, unless they are irritating enough to shut off the radio).

Eh, I pay $25/month for unlimited everything so it's not a big deal to me.
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2020 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is what I am talking about. Who can tell me what's wrong with this picture?

Hard to tell for sure but are all six strings the same size?

Is there something weird about the headstock?

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2020 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

a) I'm not going to pay to listen to music online or on the radio.
b) I hate ads as much as anyone. After years of listening to commercial radio, I now listen while at home to CBC radio which is commercial-free.
c) Listening to "random songs" occasionally leads to hearing something new and wonderful that never would've been discovered otherwise.
d) I like having the radio on for company. I enjoy not only the music that plays, but I also enjoy hearing what's going on in the world... both in my own neighborhood and worldwide.
e) When I want to listen to nothing but music, it's usually when that's all I want to be doing. I get so caught up in a good piece of music that I find it difficult to focus on anything else properly.* Or conversely, when I'm 100% focused on a task at hand, I'm completely oblivious to whatever might be going on in the background. I guess I don't multitask well.

*Having said all that, I do enjoy listening to music while driving.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-24-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2020 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Hard to tell for sure but are all six strings the same size?

Is there something weird about the headstock?

That is a classical guitar, very rarely used for country music with the notable exception of Willie Nelson, hence the "triggered" comment. A classical guitar has nylon strings, a somewhat smaller body, an uncompensated bridge, an exceptionally long scale and a very wide fretboard.

It is much better suited for music like this:

You can hear how different that guitar sounds as compared to a steel string dreadnought or jumbo.

The people who work at the radio station are not country music people, they are radio people and just chose a picture of "a guitar".

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 11-24-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2020 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The people who work at the radio station are not country music people, they are radio people and just chose a picture of "a guitar".

"The people who work at the radio station" probably had nothing to do with the choice of guitar either. Chew out their ad agency.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2020 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"The people who work at the radio station" probably had nothing to do with the choice of guitar either. Chew out their ad agency.

Still, if they were country music people, they would have told the agency to fix it.
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2020 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

.... the notable exception of Willie Nelson, hence the "triggered" comment.

LOL I figured it had something to do with Willie, but I never would have guessed what it was!

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2020 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

LOL I figured it had something to do with Willie, but I never would have guessed what it was!

Actually, your observation regarding the headstock is correct. That style of headstock is common on, but not unique to, classical guitars. But it is just style and makes no difference to the sound or feel of the guitar.

A classical guitar would feel very strange to anyone who has never held one.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2020 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Still, if they were country music people, they would have told the agency to fix it.

Willie, I realize that you play multiple musical instruments, and more power to you for doing so... but I doubt the vast majority of "country music people" could give a good hee-haw what the heck type of guitar appears in a FB radio ad!
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-24-2020 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

b) I hate ads as much as anyone. After years of listening to commercial radio, I now listen while at home to CBC radio which is commercial-free.

CBC doesn't need commercials. They pour out enough torture with the programming !!!!

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2020 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CBC doesn't need commercials. They pour out enough torture with the programming !!!!

Yeah, I get a bit tired of the Toronto-centric national programming, but there's enough local programming to make it bearable. For example, Randy Bachman's Vinyl Tap. The guy's a walking-talking rock music encyclopedia. And he doesn't just know it, he's lived it.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock