Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Who knew? 'Astronomers spot cold brown dwarf with a radio telescope.'

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Who knew? 'Astronomers spot cold brown dwarf with a radio telescope.' by rinselberg
Started on: 11-13-2020 12:57 AM
Replies: 5 (158 views)
Last post by: Jonesy on 11-16-2020 08:51 AM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2020 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder how anyone manages to tote around something that would seem to be so conspicuously large and heavy, even for someone the size and strength of an NFL offensive or defensive lineman, or a power weight lifter.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

I don't know if there are any radio telescopes that are smaller than the individual radio telescopes that comprise the Allen Telescope Array, and these look to my eyes as something that no one person could possibly even lift, let alone carry for any distance.

"Astronomers spot cold brown dwarf with a radio telescope."
Brooks Hays for UPI Science News; November 9, 2020.
https://www.upi.com/Science...first/1741604939761/

But I did find this:
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

"A miniature radio telescope in every back yard."
Tom Nardi for Hackaday(.com); October 22, 2019.
https://hackaday.com/2019/1...e-in-every-backyard/

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 11-13-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2020 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I served with a guy named Terrence down @ Ft. Gordon, GA (home of the Signal Corp!) way back in the day. Just called him when I saw the thread title to make sure you weren't talking about him. He's black, he's 5' 2" and he'd wear all of his winter gear indoors (and he was in the same communications company I was hence the "radio" part).

The phone call worked out well since I haven't talked to him in a couple of years and his wife just had baby #4.

Anyway, funnier to me than you. Carry on!
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2020 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://scitechdaily.com/se...arch-for-alien-life/

Arecibo in danger of failing completely........

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2020 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

https://scitechdaily.com/se...arch-for-alien-life/

Arecibo in danger of failing completely........

" The facility was awaiting a team of engineers this week who were expected to begin temporary emergency repairs related to the August incident."
Emergency... 4 months later.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2020 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

" The facility was awaiting a team of engineers this week who were expected to begin temporary emergency repairs related to the August incident."
Emergency... 4 months later.

I spend time each year, (3-4 weeks min.), in the D.R.

That's close to P.R. and the rest of the Caribbean islands.

My colleagues and I say that they operate on "island time" down there. They basically get to it when they get around to it.

So you no worry mon. Relax. They get around to it soon.
Jonesy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2020 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I studied Brown Dwarfs in college one semester. They are pretty interesting objects.. To big to be a planet, but not large enough or hot enough to kick those reactions into gear to become a star..

Some of them are so "cool" you could actually "touch" them and not get burned. (If touching a big ball of gas is a thing, lol) I remember reading about one that's atmospheric temp was only like 80 degrees.

Pretty cool stuff.

Edit to add:

Some scientists in the past if I remember correctly (this was like 20 years ago when I studied them) wanted to consider Jupiter to be a "Brown Dwarf". It would have been classified as a smaller brown dwarf. I guess its size and mass is pretty close to being consider a brown dwarf, but not quite there.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 11-21-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock