Started on: 10-30-2020 12:30 PM
Replies: 27 (540 views)
Last post by: williegoat on 11-17-2020 01:41 PM
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2020 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to get one of these signs:

I am really tired of having people knock on my door and instead of introducing themselves, they start with an interrogation.

Annoying little twerp: "Are you William?"

Me: Who are you?

"I'm Bob. Are you the man of the house?"

What are you selling, Bob?

"I'm not selling anything. Do you know...?"

Who do you work for, Bob?

"I would like to talk about...?"

Bob, you will leave immediately.

"But I...."

You heard me, Bob. Leave NOW.

I see no need to be polite to these people. Half of the time, I think they are casing the place for a burglary.

I am polite to the religious groups and sometimes debate them. That can be fun.
But I do not like to be interrupted by some punk trying to tell me how I should vote or that I need aluminum siding on my block house.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2020 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if any of them were there to canvas you to vote on behalf of any political candidate or ballot issue.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2020 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

I wonder if any of them were there to canvas you to vote on behalf of any political candidate or ballot issue.

Yes, some are. I had to run off a pack of kids who were stumping for prop 208 a few weeks ago. They weren't very bright. They slipped up and mentioned that they worked for "Red for Ed" which is a communist backed group that is not mentioned anywhere in the literature supporting the proposition.

If someone starts by identifying himself and who they work for, I will give them some consideration; but very few start with that courtesy.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 10-30-2020).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2020 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Red For Ed?

Is that meant to be perceived as Republicans for Education?

I took a quick look, but I couldn't figure it out in less than a minute or two.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2020 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rinselberg

16118 posts
Member since Mar 2010
I guess it's more of a "grassroots" Teacher's union(s) kind of thing.

They could have opted for Mauve or Chartreuse, but I guess it's easier to clothe yourself with Red. And "Red" rhymes with "Ed(ucation.)"

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 10-30-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2020 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Red For Ed?

Is that meant to be perceived as Republicans for Education?

I took a quick look, but I couldn't figure it out in less than a minute or two.

I guess it's more of a "grassroots" Teacher's union(s) kind of thing.

They could have opted for Mauve or Chartreuse, but I guess it's easier to clothe yourself with Red. And "Red" rhymes with "Ed(ucation.)"

Red, like red communist: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/122711.html
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2020 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
prop 208 az 2020, because people earning under $250K do not think they should as much, as a percent, for education of the children because they do not like them.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2020 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My mailbox is FULL of flyers telling me why I should vote for one candidate or another. I've also gotten a ton of texts (which I never signed up for). Everything goes in the circular file (physically or electronically). I'll vote for whomever I choose to vote for and I made up my mind long ago. Waste of paper and space. I answer my door "fully loaded". When someone comes to my door telling me about how good a certain political candidate is, I politely quote the law about trespassing and the Castle Law (which doesn't quite apply but they generally don't know that). I let them know they have approximately 2 seconds to remove themselves from my property or both the police and an ambulance will be called. They tend to leave pretty quickly.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-30-2020 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I keep a wreath of spent 12-guage shells on the front door.

Most people get the hint.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 10-30-2020).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2020 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-30-2020 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

I am polite to the religious groups and sometimes debate them. That can be fun.
But I do not like to be interrupted by some punk trying to tell me how I should vote or that I need aluminum siding on my block house.

I have fun. As soon as I see them I ask if they are here for the orgy or the drugs, because they have to go to the side door to get meth. I used to do a schtick with the satanic bible. If its women and we see them coming Kim answers the door asking which dildo they are here to purchase.

I almost feel sorry for those sometimes.....almost.
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2020 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Visitors don't bother me much, or often.
I'm usually not sitting around the house anyway and few bother venturing out on to the property to seek me out.

It does happen occasionally, that I answer the door, but I try to keep in mind, that people have, over the decades, at least given the impression that they listened to me. I try to return that courtesy.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-30-2020 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Visitors don't bother me much, or often.
I'm usually not sitting around the house anyway and few bother venturing out on to the property to seek me out.

It does happen occasionally, that I answer the door, but I try to keep in mind, that people have, over the decades, at least given the impression that they listened to me. I try to return that courtesy.

Drives me INSANE...knocking on my door means I got 3 dogs going wild, a sick girl waiting on surgery (thanks covid) getting woken up, and my stress goes from zero to "I'll kill you" in 3 seconds flat.

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2020 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I give folks about thirty seconds to tell me why they are there. If, I decide to respond, we discuss whatever. If not, I thank them for stopping by and advise them to move along, they are wasting both their and my time. This seems to work.

Rarely do I have to tell someone to leave.

------------------
Rams
Intelligent people speak because they have something to say, fools speak because they have to say something. Consider that before telling anyone what's on your mind.

My wife told me to grow up. I told her to get out of my fort!

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2020 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Personally, I give folks about thirty seconds to tell me why they are there.

Yeah, if they identify themselves and state their purpose, I have a whole different demeanor. But it seems to be a trend nowadays to start hitting me with questions, right from the start.

"What's your name?"
"Do you own the house?"
"Who is your insurance provider?"

I have no patience for that kind of approach. I see no need to tolerate it.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2020 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You were a poor student but copied his facial hair.....

But grasshoppers have a relatively short attention span anyway.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2020 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2020 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait a second... you were visited by “Bob”?

Did he look like this?

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 10-31-2020).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2020 06:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My favorite is the "dog trick" that Tam used to do with our large male Australian Shepherd.
(Keep in mind that he was very well trained.)

When someone would ring the bell, he would go nuts. He hated strangers.
Tam would open the door to see who it was. If it was a salesperson, or an evangelist, or JW (We lived in a "no soliciting" neighborhood, as if THAT mattered) it was ON!
She'd put the snarling dog (and our two other Aussies - quite friendly, but visitors didn't know that) on a "down-stay", about four feet from the glass storm door.
Then she'd push the storm door wiiiide open and say, "Yeah? What do you need?"
"Does he bite?" (looking at his pearly whites, and listening to the "grumbling")
"Not if I don't tell him to. What do you need?"

It was usually a very short visit. Those visitors seldom came back.

Here he was on one of his best days. We still miss him.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-31-2020).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2020 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
"Does he bite?" (looking at his pearly whites, and listening to the "grumbling")
"Not if I don't tell him to. What do you need?"

I had a 99 pound Doberman. I was often asked if he bites. I always told them he never bit me.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2020 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I you come to my door, you knock or ring the bell. If I don't answer you go away.
If you come to my door and bang on it like there is a fire expect to be greeted the same way.

I have had witnesses come up to me on my carport several times. I greet them and we have a pleasant exchange. I have yet to have a group of them stay past their welcome.
Most of the time they complemented my cars and then went next door. I always offer water but don't recall any of them taking it.

Sales or people wanting me to sign something get the full treatment. I have only had two people come to my door and refuse to leave, at first.
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2020 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Then again, there's the nosy neighbor problem. Seems like every time I start something outside, they drop by just to "chat".
Of course, what I'm doing always comes up. The last time it happened, I was on my tractor with a blade on the back, had been piling up vines, brush and burnable forest product (limbs and trunks) into a pile. When they asked, I insinuated that they shouldn't be surprised if a helicopter landed on my new helipad.

That got them all excited. I still haven't confirmed or denied such a project might be in the works.
It's none of their damn business.

Rams
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2020 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raydar, your dog reminds me of the nicest dog we ever had. He was killed by a bear 3 feet from the door in May 2019. We miss him too.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2020 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

Did he look like this?

Yep, that's the guy. Friend of yours?

The first time I heard of the Church of the Subgenius was probably about 40 years ago on late night TV, back when they had really strange stuff on in the middle of the night because all sane people were sound asleep. Stuff like "Bambi Meets Godzilla", "Martian Space Party" and "Closed Mondays"
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2020 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LMAO !!

First time I saw Bambi get "greeted" I was about 5-6-7 (1972-3-4) and mom and dad dropped me off at the YMCA every Saturday. Pellet guns were 10 cents for 20 shots on Crosman pumpmaster, the pool was open for free swim, and they played all-day cartoons and movies with popcorn for a penny a bag. Sauna was wide open and the high board had no age restrictions.

Try 3/4 of that stuff today and you are heading for jail for child abuse !

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 11-01-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2020 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

Did he look like this?

Or like this:

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 11-02-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2020 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just tried something a little different. I just had a kid ring my doorbell and when I opened the door he asked, "Are you the homeowner?"

I asked, "Who are you?"

"Brandon"

Me: "Brandon, let me give you some advice. When you knock on someone's door, Identify yourself and who you work for before you start asking questions. Do you understand?"

Brandon: "Yes"

Me: "Now, would you like to start over?"

Brandon, as he hung his head and shuffled away: "No, I guess not."

I wonder if Brandon is now reevaluating his career options.

Poor insipid little twerp had no idea what he was asking for when he rang that bell.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 11-03-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2020 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Yes, some are. I had to run off a pack of kids who were stumping for prop 208 a few weeks ago. They weren't very bright. They slipped up and mentioned that they worked for "Red for Ed" which is a communist backed group that is not mentioned anywhere in the literature supporting the proposition.

If someone starts by identifying himself and who they work for, I will give them some consideration; but very few start with that courtesy.

Arizona petition gathering firm accused of illegal bonuses

State prosecutors have indicted Arizona’s largest petition gathering firm, alleging the company commissioned by the Proposition 208 campaign illegally gave bonuses to gatherers based on the number of signatures collected.

The indictment alleges AZ Petition Partners awarded at least 50 bonuses that ranged from $20 to $1,200.

More criminal activity from the communist backed left.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock