Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  What will be Monday's surprise scientific announcement about the moon? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
What will be Monday's surprise scientific announcement about the moon? by maryjane
Started on: 10-24-2020 12:02 AM
Replies: 44 (682 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 10-27-2020 04:12 AM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Love-starved moon maidens?

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one of these somewhere, from 2002. hotwheels

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 10-24-2020).]

sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-24-2020 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ehTfK3oJck

[This message has been edited by sourmash (edited 10-24-2020).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They found Jimmy Hoffa buried under the famous astronaut footprint.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope, the Man in the moon is actually transgender.................
How we know you may ask, we have now seen the back side of the moon.

------------------
Rams
Intelligent people speak because they have something to say, fools speak because they have to say something. Consider that before telling anyone what's on your mind.

My wife told me to grow up. I told her to get out of my fort!

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 10-24-2020).]

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's easy and has been batted around for the last decade. They have plans to colonize the moon. Once they do so, they'll set up a manufacturing plant to build the next spacecraft. Getting raw materials to the moon would be costly and difficult but building on the moon might not cost more than building on earth and launching from the moon would both save money and fuel (that could be used to go farther in space). Great idea if they can make it work.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To build on the moon you need fuel. Solar works for power generation but not spacecraft that travel to other systems. Now if they discovered water on the moon.......
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

That's easy and has been batted around for the last decade. They have plans to colonize the moon. Once they do so, they'll set up a manufacturing plant to build the next spacecraft. Getting raw materials to the moon would be costly and difficult but building on the moon might not cost more than building on earth and launching from the moon would both save money and fuel (that could be used to go farther in space). Great idea if they can make it work.

That's the 'plan' tho who and how are the questions, but these folks have their own ideas...

The 1st fully stacked starship prototype (SN8), now has it's nose cone attached down in extreme S. Texas. No word yet when the test flight will be.

sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-24-2020 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh, Bang! Zoom! I just got this.
Earlier I couldn't figure out why the nosy neighbor from Bewitched was on the Moon.

Originally posted by williegoat:

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

All the older guys here (myself included) got it immediately.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Sounds a bit like the sells pitch for the California high speed rail

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Earlier I couldn't figure out why the nosy neighbor from Bewitched was on the Moon.

Pretty sure Alice was from the Jackie Gleason Show.
If there was a Alice Kramden on Bewitched I was not aware of that.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 10-25-2020).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Rams

TO THE MOON
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What will be Monday's surprise scientific announcement about the moon?

Solar Warming happens on the Moon too.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

To build on the moon you need fuel. Solar works for power generation but not spacecraft that travel to other systems. Now if they discovered water on the moon.......

There's a company who's working on Nuclear Thermal Propulsion (NTP). If they can make this work (and most scientists think it's just a matter of time), it may be a game changer for space travel. The uranium is enriched to somewhere between power generation and military specs meaning it's more powerful than the average nuclear power facility and it's "wrapped" in something that further protects it. (I don't remember the specifics. I'm not an scientist.) If we could transport that to the moon then build/launch a spacecraft from there, we could get to Mars in about 2 months. I think the only issue in getting this to the moon would be the ramifications of a rocket crash between launch and space.

I think we're teetering on the brink of manned space exploration.
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2020 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Rams

(1) Looks like I should've painted an easier picture because some are repeating what my message was.
(2) Nobody here seems to remember Mrs. Kravitz.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nobody here seems to remember Mrs. Kravitz.

Not true.

Nobody here, besides you, sees a connection between Gladys Kravitz and the moon.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-25-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Not true.

Nobody here, besides you, sees a connection between Gladys Kravitz and the moon.

Not true. Gladys Kravitz's real name was Alice.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not true. Gladys Kravitz's real name was Alice.

So everyone named "Alice" has a connection to the moon? I did not know that.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Why of course!

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2020 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not true.

You sir, are about the only one who followed the ball. And for that, a cookie has been reserved in your name. If only you like Coconut Macaroons.
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2020 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sourmash

4558 posts
Member since Jul 2016

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

You mean, Vince. Because that's his name. No more editing, please.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You sir, are about the only one who followed the ball. And for that, a cookie has been reserved in your name. If only you like Coconut Macaroons.

Thank-you for the offer, but I'm afraid I'm forced to decline. I'm very allergic to coconut, almonds, peanuts etc!

You mean, Vince. Because that's his name.

Attention Willie!

sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2020 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Somehow I sensed coconut was a no-go.
MORE FOR ME!!!

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You mean, Vince. Because that's his name. No more editing, please.

Nope. He legally changed his name to Alice Cooper decades ago.
Also, I have edited nothing in this thread.
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2020 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's only a message to Patrick, not Willie. Felonious editing. And for presenting a statement as new information when it was just what I'd already posted.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2020 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol.
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2020 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just about 20 minutes to go:

Who remembers this?

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 10-26-2020).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2020 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19459 posts
Member since Mar 2009
Looks like they are all wet.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2020 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Diet Smith of Dick Tracy and Junior's soon-to-be- bride.

(All the females in the Dick Tracy line had pretty big hooters)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 10-26-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2020 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

maryjane

69649 posts
Member since Apr 2001
In other news, Southern Calif's water consortium has filed for possession and control of all waters discovered off Earth........
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2020 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know yet about the science news about the moon. I see the YouTube video that was just posted here, but I am going to look for a news report where I can read about it.

On the same YouTube page, in the sidebar, I saw this:
"Parallel Worlds Probably Exist. Here’s Why"

The most elegant interpretation of quantum mechanics is the universe is constantly splitting [creating parallel worlds.]
https://youtu.be/kTXTPe3wahc

I'm not "peddling" the YouTube video itself, but some of the Comments that were posted about it are refreshing. Here are some of the first that I see:

There's a version of me out there [in some parallel word] that understood the whole video.

Meanwhile, in a parallel universe: “Wow, 2020 has been a great year!”

Meanwhile, in a parallel universe: "Parallel universes probably don't exist and here's why"
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2020 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

"Parallel Worlds Probably Exist. Here’s Why"
The most elegant interpretation of quantum mechanics is the universe is constantly splitting [creating parallel worlds.]

There's a version of me out there [in some parallel word] that understood the whole video.

Meanwhile, in a parallel universe: “Wow, 2020 has been a great year!”

Meanwhile, in a parallel universe: "Parallel universes probably don't exist and here's why"

I'm sure many here will remember this episode. I am not a "trekie", but the original TV show had a lot to say.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 10-26-2020).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2020 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm sure many here will remember this episode. I am not a "trekie", but the original TV show had a lot to say.

He's dead Jim

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 10-26-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2020 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Diet Smith of Dick Tracy and Junior's soon-to-be- bride.

I do remember the girl with the antennas from the Dick Tracy comic strip (which isn't bad considering I had just turned eight years old when Moon Maid appeared in late '63), but I can't say I remember Diet Smith. lol What a name!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-26-2020).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2020 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cookie Monster is on the moon?

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 10-26-2020).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay