Started on: 10-19-2020 11:04 PM
Replies: 11 (174 views)
Last post by: Hudini on 10-20-2020 02:40 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep your eyes to the sky late Tuesday night and early Wednesday morning: You might get to see the peak of the Orionids, the best meteor shower of the fall.

The annual Orionid meteor shower will reach its climax in the early hours of Wednesday morning, featuring around 20 meteors per hour across much of the globe, AccuWeather said. This averages out to a meteor every few minutes.

"Meteors in annual showers are named for the point in our sky from which they appear to radiate," according to EarthSky. "The radiant point for the Orionids is in the direction of the famous constellation Orion the Hunter, which you’ll find ascending in the east in the hours after midnight. Hence the name Orionids."

The best time to watch begins from about 1 or 2 a.m. local daylight time until the first light of dawn (at around 5:45 a.m.), when Orion stands highest above the southern horizon, Space.com said. "The higher in the sky Orion is, the more meteors appear all over the sky."

To view the shower, try to avoid light pollution (if possible) and don't use binoculars or telescopes, weather.com said. Though the meteors will emanate from the eastern horizon, they will streak across the entire sky and will be visible from anywhere on Earth, according to NASA.

https://www.usatoday.com/st...ednesday/3713677001/

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 10-19-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately, my neighbor's properties are all lit up due to their "security" concerns. Can't and won't see crap. You'd think that someone that lives as far out in the country as I do would be able to see the stars at night. That's a rare event due to all the lights around my place.
But, I do hope you enjoy the show.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 10-19-2020).]

Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post10-19-2020 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Unfortunately, my neighbor's properties are all lit up due to their "security" concerns. Can't and won't see crap. You'd think that someone that lives as far out in the country as I do would be able to see the stars at night. That's a rare event due to all the lights around my place.

Rams

I'm torn...but i'm sure you know what i mean.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2020 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

But, I do hope you enjoy the show.

Rams

There are abut 2 generations of Americans that for the the most part, have never even seen the Milky Way spread out in all it's glory in the night sky... and for the same reason you just gave.
"Light pollution" of the night sky.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2020 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

There are abut 2 generations of Americans that for the the most part, have never even seen the Milky Way spread out in all it's glory in the night sky... and for the same reason you just gave.
"Light pollution" of the night sky.

Agreed.

Although I grew up way out in the country, one of the most spectacular sights I remember was looking up at the sky in the middle of the desert. Had been flying NVGs earlier in the evening. It was absolutely wonderous..........
Although, I will say that the "Northern Lights" are pretty cool.

Rams
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2020 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try it 1000 or more miles away from the nearest light source on a clear moonless night. Like 27 million sq miles of the Indian Ocean.
Spectacular view while lying on the deck behind the aft 5" Mk 42 gun mount.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2020 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There are abut 2 generations of Americans humans that for the the most part, have never even seen the Milky Way spread out in all it's glory in the night sky... and for the same reason you just gave. "Light pollution" of the night sky.

I was born and raised in the city, so while here, very few stars can be seen... but I can still remember the very first time I ever saw the Milky Way. It was 1966, I was ten years old, and I was visiting relatives with my parents clear across the country in Prince Edward Island on the Atlantic coast. We were staying in the farm home my mother had grown up in, which was far from any populated area... not that there was much of a population anywhere on the entire island. On the first night there, I was called out to the front porch late in the evening... and I couldn't believe my eyes! I had no idea that this was what the night sky was supposed to look like. It was absolutely stunning. What a sight!
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2020 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's one of the main reasons I cut down all the trees. I wanted to be able to see the night sky.
(and have clear lanes of fire in case the zombies come)
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2020 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

(and have clear lanes of fire in case the zombies come)

Clear ? Fire ?

I will say this, you do have one clear fire break, .
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2020 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope I can see something tonight. I’m at Sanya on Hainan Island in southern China headed back to Shanghai. The new moon has just set and it should be prime viewing at 31,000 ft above the somewhat sparse ground lighting. There are no upper level clouds either.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2020 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

I hope I can see something tonight. I’m at Sanya on Hainan Island in southern China headed back to Shanghai. The new moon has just set and it should be prime viewing at 31,000 ft above the somewhat sparse ground lighting. There are no upper level clouds either.

This is a pretty unique view. Not everyone gets to experience that. Enjoy and if you can, share a pic.

Rams
PFF
System Bot
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2020 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2.5 hour flight and I saw 8 meteors. 4 were the super fast, fleeting, .25 nano seconds and gone types. The other 4 were nice. One was super bright and large. One had what looked like sparks trailing behind like a bottle rocket. Tomorrow night I have another late flight. Should be interesting.

Pictures would be impossible for my iPhone I think.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock