Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  What is going on with the housing market ?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What is going on with the housing market ? by MidEngineManiac
Started on: 10-14-2020 05:36 PM
Replies: 11 (245 views)
Last post by: MidEngineManiac on 10-15-2020 05:42 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-14-2020 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.allclassifieds....odstock-ontario.html (top left corner)

28% increase in average renting price of houses in Ontario this month compared with last month.
7,693 fewer ads for houses for rent in Ontario since last month.

It's all over. I've actually had people knock on my door asking about the burned-out place up the road, if it would be fixed and on the market soon. It's freaken nuts !

SOMEBODY is snapping up these places, taking them off the market and driving prices up.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 10-14-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2020 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
People are fleeing the cities......
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2020 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Must be the California folk fleeing this pathetic state.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-14-2020 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We just had a couple move in next door from Alberta. Same sheet there, they were hoping it was better here. Our smokes are cheaper and we don't hit minus-frack-me in the winter., thats about the only difference
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2020 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

We just had a couple move in next door from Alberta. Same sheet there, they were hoping it was better here. Our smokes are cheaper and we don't hit minus-frack-me in the winter., thats about the only difference

I thought Alberta was the wild west.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2020 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been crazy. I'm moving to Tampa next year, and the housing prices have shot up something like 20-30% in just the past two months.

We have a home in Miami that we lease out, and we get multiple letters in the mail every single day... at least 2-3 every single day, e-mails, and phone calls, asking if we are willing to sell our home in Miami. We've even been getting them for our home in San Antonio (which we're selling next year). It's just absolutely crazy.

It's great if you want to sell, but horrible if you need to buy... I'm just hoping it settles down by Summer of next year. Homes that were $325k are now $425k in just a couple of months.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2020 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Land prices here are way up, especially if it has a home or other improvements on it.
I would say it was people fleeing Houston (and it is) but that's been going on for about 5-7 years now, well before Covid began. There have been 5 parcels sold within a 2 mile radius of me since 2015 and all 5 were purchased by people that were living in Harris county (the county Houston is centered in).
A place I sold in 2015 for $120K is now on the market for $350ish but the new owner put about $100k more into improvements, mostly in the form of a 35'x75' barndominium..
(it got 4' of water in it during harvey and he had the inside all gutted and rebuilt)

24 ac that my brother's heirs would have had to pay me a LOT just to take it sold for about $80k. No improvements on it at all except the superduper deerstand they are building and a new fence brother and I built along the river in 2016. It floods about as bad as any where along the river.......easier and faster than mine does and deeper too.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2020 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My old apartment complex in San Jose was renting units a year ago for $28000/month (before utilities) and had few vacancies. Prices now are back down to what they were when I left in 2016, and there are TONS of units available.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2020 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

It's been crazy. I'm moving to Tampa next year, and the housing prices have shot up something like 20-30% in just the past two months.

That's the same % increase I've seen here in the last month or so.

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Homes that were $325k are now $425k in just a couple of months.

Those were home prices here... 15+ years ago. A "knock-down" home on a regular (33"x120") city lot on the east (working-class) side of Vancouver easily goes for $1.2M now.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-14-2020).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2020 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New home construction is booming here in the Chicago area. Before the last recession, most of the construction was way out in the collar counties; Kane County, Will County, Kendall County, etc. It has rebounded back to early-2000s level but most of the work has moved back closer in to the city. Parcels of land that had been left undeveloped (due to marginal soils, etc) and properties where there were closed shopping centers, factories or golf courses are all being turned into residential subdivisions.

Between that and the countless Amazon warehouses under construction, we are crazy busy here at work.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2020 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Those were home prices here... 15+ years ago. A "knock-down" home on a regular (33"x120") city lot on the east (working-class) side of Vancouver easily goes for $1.2M now.

Tampa was always a more affordable city in Florida... like, half the price of what you'd expect to spend in Miami / Fort Lauderdale suburbs. So these are incredible prices...
PFF
System Bot
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-15-2020 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dont even need 15+ years...6 years ago you could find 2-3 bedroom mobiles (dated, need flooring, cabinets and paint, maybe a roof) for under 25k all day long. Go pretty much wherever you wanted and find housing for less than a new car. Those same things are now $100k and up. I'm kind of kicking myself I didn't buy a few 15 years ago. Whoda thunk that cheap retirement housing would go like that.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock