Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Covid Chronicles: My journey through the wringer (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Covid Chronicles: My journey through the wringer by Synthesis
Started on: 10-08-2020 07:54 PM
Replies: 115 (2442 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 01-14-2021 10:49 AM
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2020 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had symptoms appear on September 29th after an emergency work trip to one of our facilities in Iowa. I picked it up there, where no one was respecting social distancing or wearing a mask.
I was tested on October 1st and received the positive result later that night, and I am now hospitalized as of the evening of 10/7. My wife has also tested positive after my return, I gave it to her before I knew I had it. Her symptoms are very mild.

I have been documenting this on my Facebook page and letting people share it. I want to post this here as well so you can all see it. I will be sharing all of my Covid related posts, including my stupid humor ones here.

Symptoms I have had:
Diarrhea
Sweats
Fever and Fever Cycling
Violent chills
Nausea
Vertigo
Severe headaches
Weakness in limbs
Loss of consciousness
Pressure in the chest

October 1st:
Thank you all for the birthday wishes today.
My day started off like any other, with a covid test, a poke and prod at the brain through the nostril, and a late night email with a positive result.
I spent my day feeling pretty rough, but just sitting on my butt and watching movies.
I guess we'll see how this works out...

October 2nd:
Aaand there goes my sense of smell and taste.

October 3rd:
The worst part so far about covid is losing my senses of smell and taste... This means the big crockpot of chili that I made today did nothing to appease my hunger from a palate perspective...
The best part about losing my sense of smell and taste is that I won't have to worry about the aftermath of a big bowl of chili tomorrow.

From my wife: October 4th:
Chris update. COVID is really starting to drag him down. He's currently in bed, which is unheard of for him, even when he's been sick in the past. So far, no significant respiratory problems except a moderate, dry cough.
The good news is that the Door Dash guy who delivered our groceries on Saturday told him, "the COVID test is only 50%" whatever that means and he just has the flu. So, whew, dodged a bullet there!
In all seriousness though, we appreciate all of the well wishes and offers to help out if needed. We greatly appreciate it! We'll keep riding the wave, hoping it's just a little one and that Chris will recover without significant symptoms or long term complications.

October 4th:
Chris' Covid Contingencies...
Hoping for the best, planning for the worst.
In the event something happens to me, I have one major ask of a volunteer...
Clear my browser history. Don't look at it. Just clear it in its entirety...
That is all.

October 6th:
Chris' Covid Chronicles
I snap wide awake every morning between 1 and 4 AM with a splitting headache that never goes away, just gets less intense intermittently throughout the day. Usually I have a fever to go along with it. This morning, my temp is 102.6. I can not get back to sleep, and attempts to nap during the day are usually unsuccessful.

Speaking of fevers, my temperature constantly fluctuates between about 97 and 101 multiple times per day with bouts of extremely violent shivering or sweating like a turkey that was invited to Thanksgiving dinner. This mornings temp is the highest so far.

I am not having issues breathing, unless I exert myself. I have no energy to even climb the stairs to head to the restroom. I can take deep breaths without issue but it triggers the need to cough and it's difficult to catch my breath if I get into a coughing fit. I'm not coughing too often, but I have my moments.

Every muscle and every joint aches so badly. Ibuprofen doesn't touch it and neither does Tylenol or aspirin.

I have no appetite, and no desire whatsoever to eat. I don't feel hungry even when I haven't eaten all day so I have to force myself to eat which makes me nauseous sometimes. I can't smell anything, and can taste if something is sweet or salty, but I get no other flavors out of anything.

Yesterday I spent most of the day feeling detached from my body. It felt as if my arms and shoulders and legs weren't mine but would respond when I would tell them to. Extreme vertigo, having to lean on the walls when trying to move, and instability and weakness in my legs combined with the aches and pains makes it difficult to do anything.

Coincidentally everything I am going through right now is identical to what hit me at the beginning of February. I was sick for over a month then but was told it was the flu.

Cindy has been amazing... She is absolutely the best thing that has ever happened to me and I am blessed to have her in my life. I wouldn't make it through this on my own, as I tend to drive myself to exhaustion and not take the time to rest.

October 6th:
I spoke with my doctor earlier today and he said that if I really want to kick covid's butt, I need to start listening to some Kenny G. He said the best thing in the world to get over almost any illness is a healthy dose of saxual healing.

October 7th:

Your nose is connected to the same set of lungs that your mouth is. If your mouth lungs have covid, your nose lungs also have covid. Wear your mask over both your nose and your mouth.

Your chin is not a mask rest, and your mask is not a chin diaper. Wear your mask over both your nose and your mouth.

Taking your mask off around friends or family because you think you are fine is tantamount to attempted murder. Wear. Your. ****ing. Mask.

I passed out earlier this morning. I am in the hospital and they are thinking of admitting me because I show early stages of covid related pneumonia. They have checked my heart and so far everything seems to look good there. We're not sure why I blacked out the way I did but it was preceded by severe vertigo, nausea, and sweating.

October 8th:
Just letting you all know that covid is a GREAT way to lose weight rapidly. Down 21 pounds in the last 8 days. Side effects sort of suck so ymmv...

October 8th:
Chris' Covid Chronicles

After a very scary day yesterday, I am doing better today with regards to vertigo, the blackouts, and my appetite.

For at least the last five days I have had no appetite, and whenever I tried to eat something I would get nauseous. Combine that with a regular cycling of my body temperature between approximately 97 degrees and just shy of 103, my inability to actually get any decent rest, and we find ourselves with a Chris that experienced the first syncopal episode of his adult life.

What is a syncopal episode, you might ask? According to everyone's favorite doctor, Doctor Google, a syncopal episode is when you faint or pass out. Blood flow to the brain is interrupted causing a loss of consciousness. You fall over, and blood flow returns to the brain. You wake up, usually only moments after the faint, and may have temporary confusion. Common causes of syncope can be low blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, abrupt changes in posture, dehydration, exhaustion, and several other factors not listed here.

One of the things I have been dealing with as part of Covid that I have refrained from talking about is diarrhea. Suffice it to say we all know what that is and why I don't need to go into any further detail on it, other than that since this started that is ALL I have experienced. Maintaining hydration is difficult when you can't taste even water, and it makes you uncomfortable to have anything in your belly.

Yesterday morning I snapped wide awake around 4AM, and then spent the next two hours trying to get back to sleep. My body told me it was time to go take care of business, so I carefully got up and went to the restroom, dealing with some vertigo as I went. While I was in the bathroom on the toilet, I was overcome with an overpowering inability to keep my eyes open, immediately followed by a 0-60 sweat session. I went from no sweat to dripping in under 30 seconds, and then the vertigo and nausea hit me. I braced myself on the counter and wall and waited for it to pass, knowing I'd hit my head on the cast iron tub if I fell. I made it through that wave and then made it back to bed after finishing up. An hour later I had to go back again. This time when the wave hit me, I leaned back a bit and braced myself again. I'm glad I did because I woke up leaning over my left arm on the bathroom counter while still sitting on the toilet. After this, I had a firm feeling of pressure immediately behind my sternum that didn't go away, though my pulse felt fine. When I got back to bed, I told Cindy about the episode... I was hit again with extreme fatigue, and the room was spinning around me. Cindy spent close to two hours trying to get me to wake up in order to take me into the ER. I was lethargic, borderline non-responsive, and suffering from constant vertigo.

Several hours later after a chest x-ray to look for obvious blockages, several extremely painful IV pokes, enough blood drawn to make Dracula proud, and a CT scan, I was admitted for monitoring of my heart, clotting factors, and the "ground glass" appearance in my lungs caused by the damage that Covid can do in the lungs. On a CT scan, viral infections in the lungs will be transparent but cloudy. You can still see the structures of the lung, but it's as if you were seeing it through ground up glass powder. Both the x-ray and CT Scan show I have a pretty hefty amount of ground glass. My 02 levels are fine, and I am not having difficulty breathing, yet. I do struggle if I exert myself in any way, and have difficulty catching my breath, and I am finding that I am now coughing more than I did previously. Ground glass presence does not equal automatic Covid related pneumonia, but the risk is there.

My doctor said that I am at the point in the timeline where either my body has the resources to make it through on its own with a full or mostly full recovery, or it gives it everything it's got and it's just not enough and then we're talking more severe treatments, possibly intubation and ventilator.

I am now on Dexamethasone and we're discussing some experimental treatments such as convalescent plasma therapy, which is plasma donated by people who have gone through Covid and come out the other side with active antibodies. There is also discussion about the antiviral drug remdesivir. Covid can cause blood clots, so I am on a daily injection of blood thinners to help prevent anything like that.
It would suck to get most of the way through treatment and then have a clot-induced stroke, which seems to have been a pretty common thing before the clotting issues were discovered.

Status update for today: the pressure behind my sternum is gone, as is most of the "ALL THE TIME" vertigo I had yesterday. I still have my standing and moving vertigo. I'm weak, and I'm gasping for breath if I move too much. I noticed an odd smell for the last 8 hours or so, but assumed it was Covid messing with me. No. It's the soap they use here. I can smell it. My sense of smell is still very weak, but I ordered up a fresh fruit cup, a quartered orange, a small blueberry muffin and a hardboiled egg for a late lunch, thinking I'd try to get down what I could. The second the blueberry muffin touched my tongue, I could taste it, and I only realized I was inhaling everything when I found myself with an entire quarter of an orange in my mouth, like I was back in grade school trying to impress the girls at lunch. I could taste, and I nearly cried, it was such a powerful thing.

I am staying at St Francis in Shakopee for the next several days at minimum... You are not obligated to send flowers or cards, but know that my room is dull and lifeless, much like any room I enter. Even a post-it note with a "Buck up buddy boy" would add some pizzazz. If you decide you want to do something of that nature, feel free to message Cindy or myself for room number. Note: I also don't mind if you want to try to "Out Flower Power" each other, and would be delighted to see the staff become flabbergasted by not having enough room to put them all. 😉 I will ask the staff to place them in other patient rooms, sans any cards so that all may enjoy. Phone calls are difficult, with the whole coughing thing, but chat via the various methods I use is fine. Visitors are not allowed for obvious reasons, and I am in an isolated room.

The staff here are heroes in the truest sense. Hearing them gown up outside for several minutes, enter the room, then strip in the room before stepping back out so they don't carry this thing with them to another patient... It adds so much time and effort to their day. Yet they are all in extremely good cheer willing to share a laugh, and are gracious and prompt in their service. My nurse at 2AM came in to flush my mid-line, take care of vitals, and run some other things. She has such a good bedside manner I told her so, and it absolutely made her day/night. I am blessed to have the medical insurance to make this possible for me to get this level of care. There are many people out there who are not... I will normally avoid politics, but this is a place where politics are one of the reasons I am where I am in life. Your vote matters all the time. It matters exponentially more at this point in history. You can decide whether I receive long term care and capabilities in the event of long lasting effects because of my bought and paid for insurance through work or whether *everyone* gets to receive long term care and capabilities as a basic human right.

I will edit and update this post as I can update.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 10-08-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2020 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Praying for you and yours.
The symptoms sound awful tho.
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2020 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking forward to your next installment here, expecting more of the positive developments. Sense of smell and taste having come back for you.

I think anything else from me (in the way of remarks) would be superfluous.

Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will be praying for your recovery and safety of those around you.
The headaches are terrible and the smell and taste could be gone for longer than other symptoms.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best of luck Synthesis... you'll kick this!
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2020 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx for posting this.
Despite the hardheadedness of some, this virus ain’t no joke.

Stay well.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best wishes Chris...

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
October 9th:

Chris' Covid Chronicles

Today is a bad day and I am not a strong man. The existential dread that has been hanging over me since my positive test and my symptoms worsened has turned into abject terror.
I’m 42. I know this thing doesn’t care about that… But I do. That’s entirely too young to worry about whether I’ll be here in another week, two, a month.

I. Am. Terrified.

I broke down uncontrollably this morning, sobbing like I’d lost my sweet Molly Dog all over again. My O2 saturation is running lower now, and I can’t stop dry coughing. I pulled a muscle in my stomach late last night coughing, listening to the Sp02 meter alarming as my O2 count dropped below 75% several times. I am struggling to breathe, I don’t feel I can get enough oxygen, and my fever was back with a vengeance this morning. I am lethargic to the point that it took me nearly three hours to even try to get out of bed this morning, and I have no energy or strength. Even sitting up in bed was an involved process that left me gasping for air and coughing.

I think I am more scared for Cindy. She’s a strong woman and will survive if the worst happens, but I am worried about what it will do to her. I have to be a realist at some level. There is a very good chance I will survive this, and I am getting very good care. But, there is still just over 6% chance that it takes me out. I’ve instructed Cindy to start getting any relevant documents together if necessary. A hard conversation to have, but one that needs to be had while we can still have it.

They started me on remdesivir today and we’re also looking at convalescent plasma if the remdesivir doesn’t work out. I had my first IV drip in my mid-line for thirty minutes, it was extremely cold, but the antiviral is supposed to disrupt Covid’s ability to replicate. If it works, Covid is stopped dead in its tracks. If it doesn’t work, some Covid virus keeps replicating, and we’re back to square one.

I’ll keep it short. I have nothing more to say, I can barely keep my eyes open but can’t get comfortable enough to sleep.

Enjoy the view from a Covid isolation room, and some of the beautiful flowers that have shown up. Thank you to those who sent them. 🙂

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2020 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

I. Am. Terrified.

Thank you again for doing this.
I think it may bring it closer to home for those that are skeptical about the strength of this virus.

Believe me when I tell you I really am pulling for both of you.

Stay positive in your mind.
It ain’t much, but it can’t hurt!

Get well soon!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris, thank-you for posting this chronicle of your experiences with COVID-19. It should be required reading for anyone here who mocks the danger of this damn virus. Ya gotta know that you've got a lot of people concerned and pulling for you.

Being human, we're all triggered by different things. Your mention of Molly choked me up.

October 9th:

I. Am. Terrified.

I broke down uncontrollably this morning, sobbing like I’d lost my sweet Molly Dog all over again.

Keep fighting, Chris!
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I LOVE YOU, MAN - KEEP FIGHTING THAT &^$%^$% BEAST!!!!

XOXO

-Rumor

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 10-09-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Chris. I hope and pray for your quick and complete recovery.

And yeah... I know it's real. I'm just trying to not do anything dumb, in spite of other peoples' best efforts.
My supervisor and her husband both had it, and are fine now. Her main symptoms were headaches, extreme fatigue, and loss of smell and taste. Her symptoms lingered, on and off, for several weeks.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry man. I am hoping the best for you and loved ones.
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
take care of yourself. We are all hoping for the best. Prayers to you and your family
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Staying in the hospital sux. Nothing to do, no drive to do anything but leave. People coming and going, noise all through the day and night.
Hang in there man, you got this.
I guess this didn't turn out to be the motivational speech I wanted to give, but I guess that's why I didn't make a living speaking,..LOL
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best wishes, Chris!
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2020 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking for an update on how you're doing today, let us know...
Marko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2020 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are all pulling for you Chris.

This virus is no hoax. It hits some people harder than others.

Hope you start to improve in the very near future.

Best wishes.

------------------
Marko.

'85 SE 2M6 Muncie 4 speed.
a.k.a "The Rumble Seat"

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2020 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday was a very difficult day for me, emotionally speaking. I’m normally a pretty stoic person when it comes to publicly showing emotion like that. There was a point in my life where I would let the demons of despair rule me because I was not capable of keeping them at bay due to my autism and inability to self-regulate. I haven’t succumbed to them in many years, and to have them waltz right in acting as if they’d never left really left me gasping for metaphorical breath.

My self pity is done. I’m still scared, for good reason, but no more woe is me. I don’t have time for it or those demons, and I’m evicting the little bastards as we speak.

The amazing levels of support from everyone who has seen, commented, shared, and reacted to my posts blew the storm clouds out of the sky, and it is a beautiful day both in my “rooftop rock garden” outside my room, and in my outlook today. Thank you all. I was moved to tears many times yesterday, and had several very good conversations with new friends. This has been one of the biggest moments of uplift I’ve ever experienced in my life, and I feel the love. I do not know how I’ll ever be able to live up to the examples you have all provided me, but I’ll do my best.

I heard something out in the hall today that made me chuckle, and then start coughing and groaning…

“More flowers? Did this guy invest in a florist?”

Keep them coming. They’re starting to make the rounds to other patients, and I have received so many nice cards, beautiful arrangements, and one smartass was funny enough to send me a literal grocery bag of cough drops because I complained that the nurses were rationing cough drops. Seriously, an entire Lunds & Byerlys paper grocery bag FULL of cough drops.

In the grand scheme of things, I am a relatively mild case of hospitalization grade covid, there are patients much worse than me. I recognize this. I just have no personal context to assign it on a scale of “I’m under the weather” to “did we order my cemetery plot?”... That’s a huge part of the panic that can be induced by the uncertainty of this thing. There are people with zero health risks that get it and die, and there are some who may be considered so at risk it’s a wonder they survive leaving their front door that may already have antibodies and don’t even know it. I’m nearly 6’5”, power lifted for many years so I have a lot of solid lean muscle mass hiding under my fat (maybe it should be called well-marbled muscle mass), a relatively healthy heart, and high blood pressure and bad cholesterol with the obesity that automatically puts me at high risk. “It is what it is”, right? Now it’s a trip through the rest of the weeds, and hopefully we find the path out soon.

I am on supplemental oxygen, about 2 liters right now. It is helping me immensely. My O2 saturation is still down, hence the extra boost they’re giving me. My second Remdesivir treatment will happen today, and we are ordering up the convalescent plasma therapy, which is a blood product transfusion. There are some risks associated with this, potential reaction to someone else’s proteins, etc, but it’s worth those risks to me. Still on Dexamethasone, and they come in and stick my fingers three+ times a day for blood sugar monitoring because of it. For you diabetics out there, I never understood what you had to go through… I hate needles with a passion… You have my sympathies.

Enjoy the photos. I’ll caption them with relevant information.

The story book at our wedding...

My wife and fur babies waiting for me.

Cough drops... Lots of cough drops.

Hanging in there...
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2020 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yesterday was a very difficult day for me, emotionally speaking.

Do you feel like you're improving the past couple of days, or at least maintaining?
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2020 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still moving downhill, but more controlled now. Remdesivir can take a couple days to really have an effect and I only just completed by second treatment. Because I am losing lung function still, the decision was made to move forward with the convalescent plasma treatment. I should receive that first dose today. There is a risk of high fever, allergic or rejective reaction, etc.

If the breathing gets worse, then they will move me into ICU and intubation with a respirator. I'll be comatose from that point until either I succumb or I heal.
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2020 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Still moving downhill, but more controlled now. Remdesivir can take a couple days to really have an effect and I only just completed by second treatment. Because I am losing lung function still, the decision was made to move forward with the convalescent plasma treatment. I should receive that first dose today. There is a risk of high fever, allergic or rejective reaction, etc.

If the breathing gets worse, then they will move me into ICU and intubation with a respirator. I'll be comatose from that point until either I succumb or I heal.

Hang in there buddy... we are all pulling for you here.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2020 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hang in there Chris, I have never liked hospitals so lets hope your stay is a short one.

Think about the good things, this is one fantastic group of guys. Sure we fight but we always pull together.
I have seen this group do amazing things.

For a bunch of rag tag knuckle dragging greasy wrench throwing group they are probably some of the best friends I have never met face to face.
Take care of you and we will pray that you are back home soon ready to tackle the next big Fiero adventure.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2020 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From what I heard from a survivor is that the transfusion was the life saver.
Stay positive
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2020 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Let's hope it doesn't get to that point. Keep fighting, Chris.

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2020 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thinking of you!!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2020 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still here, man. Kick its azz.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2020 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hope your situation is improving.

You need to be healed enough to make a buncha people (socially distantly) pee their pants in a few weeks!

Why are you and your better half with that pity party guy?
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2020 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No more haunt scaring for me. I semi retired after my bad ankle sprain several years ago when some girls I was chasing fell and I almost dropped on top of them. Fun story.

Cindy and I saw Puddles perform a couple of years ago. He has a very entertaining show.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2020 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You got this, playa’!
Marko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2020 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many of you out there, have heard Puddles sing, with his Puddles Pity Party ?

I first saw him on Neil Patrick Harris's "Circus Awesmemous" special. Incredible.

Keep fighting Chris. Glad to see some checkmarks in the win column.
PFF
System Bot
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2020 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Loving the pet family pics!
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2020 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep fighting, Chris. My 78 year old mother in law beat this. You can, too.

I don't know if writing this makes it worse for you or better. Whichever it is, I can tell that your mind is still solid. I'm glad to hear that you've seen the emotional bottom, and are pulling up from there. Your physical health should follow soon.

God bless.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2020 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My family is praying for you big guy. And, you do realize that you were part of a very important project, and that young man is probably looking over you too.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2020 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How are you doing?
I keep checking it on you man, it's going to be all good. You got this thing kicked
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2020 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chris’ Covid Chronicles

There’s sunlight through the trees today… I can smell the ocean in the distance, though I can’t yet see the edge of the forest… With any luck, I’ll be there within the next several days and can finally kick back and put my toes in the sand.

That is the metaphor I am using for the way today has gone.
I slept with supplemental oxygen all night long, and while I had a low grade fever most of yesterday, today has been fever free thus far. The oxygen, piped directly into my CPAP machine, helps me both breath deeper and more fully than I have in a couple of days and the CPAP I already own to make sure I don’t suffocate at night helps pressurize the airways to ensure I get enough oxygen flow, even with the inflammation in the lungs. In fact, speaking with the respiratory therapist who has visited me several times now, CPAP and BiPAP are two of the more advanced courses of treatment as oxygen needs ramp up, prior to the need for induced coma, intubation, and ventilators. If you get past where a BiPAP or CPAP can help you, you’re in super rough shape. Since I already have a CPAP, I am ahead of the curve, which is helping reduce my need for O2 in combination with the Remdesivir and Dexamethasone.

Anyway, the point is that I slept very well last night, which is a key piece toward recovery… Rest is important. Other than the care crew coming in every few hours to check vitals, draw blood for prep for my transfusion of antibodies today (I finally know my blood type!), and various other needs, I barely even noticed, and that is so peaceful for the soul.

The good news from my doctor today, and she said she danced a jig when the numbers came back, was that my inflammation numbers are down in my labs. In a case that progresses, this number will continue to climb, which implies that more and more lung inflammation is occurring, and any other places that are directly being hit by the Covid virus (including heart, etc) in that particular patient. Because my numbers are down, this means the Dexamethasone (a steroid) is doing its job with alacrity and the Remdesivir is starting to kick in to block the RNA replication process that Covid tricks your own cells into using to do its dirty work. These numbers will continue to be monitored. I’m not out of those proverbial woods, but there’s a cold Mai Tai waiting for me at the edge of that beach I mentioned earlier, and I am determined to get there and enjoy it.

The discussion with the doctor today about my very good recovery prognosis hinged around that fact that if I hadn’t blacked out on the toilet like I did on Wednesday, I likely would have stayed home until the breathing trouble started, and would not have received the early treatment I did to combat this and get this good news. I would be further along, meaning a longer road to recovery through the weeds and swamp that is Covid. The blacking out was a blessing in disguise.

On an unrelated note: I’ve got my laptop in here, along with my iPad, etc. I’m an IT Systems Engineer for a living. I’m never far from a screen. I’m also an avid connoisseur (read, rabid devourer) of media. My home Plex server has approximately 40TB of movies/TV Shows/Music, all legitimately owned… And I’ve exhausted my entire collection in the last 10 months of home isolation and consumption… I started to go a little stir crazy today, and may or may not have pulled the trigger on a Nintendo Switch… When you call Target across the street, gasping into the phone about you’re hospitalized with Covid at the hospital across the street from them and need them to hold one for you so a friend can pick it up, they’re pretty accommodating. I can’t really afford to keep it, but Chris + insanity leads to bad things. Today I got my fix in on some Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and that helped break up the monotony of being isolated today… I understand this thing will let me play against others out there in the wild. Someone tell me how to list my friend code so I can start kicking all your asses at Mario Kart.

Finally, there are heroes everywhere… The heroes who scrub up every day to come in and help people like me heal. The heroes who provide supportive comments and constructive ideas to help burn the storm clouds away. The heroes who simply comment to say “I see you, and acknowledge you, and you are loved…”

And then there are the anonymous heroes who have gone through this wringer already and survived. Who have donated life-giving plasma with antibodies so that others may heal faster and start to produce their own antibodies. I was the recipient of one of these extremely generous gifts today, and it can only improve my odds…

I couldn’t begin to list all of my heroes right now, but know that if you are reading this post, you are among them.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2020 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really glad to hear you had a good night man... really glad to hear it. Hopefully tonight is just as good and better. We're all pulling for you here...
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2020 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah... reading about your progress makes me happy.
If you are well enough to be bored, it sounds like you are on the mend.

To give you something to listen to...
Are you a fan of Leo Moracchioli?
He does metal covers of... damn near everything.
He plays all of the instruments on (most of) his videos. His wife joins in, sometimes. Both are very talented.

He's got his own channel on You Tube. I'll just leave a couple here.

This one is hysterical.

And one of my other favorites.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-12-2020).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-12-2020 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to hear you got a good nights sleep!
Keep pushing brother.
You got this!
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2020 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris’ Covid Chronicles

There’s sunlight through the trees today… I can smell the ocean in the distance, though I can’t yet see the edge of the forest… With any luck, I’ll be there within the next several days and can finally kick back and put my toes in the sand.

I read that, checked where you're from, and thought, "He's delirious." Then finished the next sentence, and thought, okay, he's getting better. I actually live just three miles from the bay here in New Jersey, so "I can smell the ocean" is a real thing. Go to Google Maps, find "Barnegat Lighthouse." Go 7.75 miles west southwest, and you'll be in my neighborhood. So, when you're ready to actually put those toes in the sand, let me know. It's a little late for swimming this season, but the beach is always there. Best part of the year, because all the tourists are gone.

Keep looking for that sunlight.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock