Started on: 10-06-2020 03:54 PM
Replies: 48 (683 views)
Last post by: Boondawg on 10-11-2020 03:37 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2020 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of my top 5 guitarists and top 10 bands.

https://www.bing.com/search...&FORM=ANSPA1&PC=U531

Thanx for all the great times, Eddie.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2020 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the greatest guitarists of all time, gone too soon - listening to Panama right now
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2020 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn, that sux.

All my favorite musicians are dying off... Tom Petty, Chris Cornell, Malcom Young, Neil Peart, and now Eddie Van Halen.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2020 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a fan and I know he was not in good health.
May he rest in peace.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2020 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Damn, that sux.

All my favorite musicians are dying off... Tom Petty, Chris Cornell, Malcom Young, Neil Peart, and now Eddie Van Halen.

You said it.
The soundtracks of my life.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 10-06-2020).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2020 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DUDE 2020 SUX
GREAT musician
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2020 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Not a fan and I know he was not in good health.
May he rest in peace.

Actually, it could be said that he basically killed himself.
Chain-smoked, got throat cancer, kept Chain-smoking, divorced because he wouldn't stop even then, had a third of his tongue removed, & finally switched to vaping in 2015.

He believed his cancer came from holding the brass & copper guitar picks in his mouth and all the recording studios filled with electromagnetic energy.

He burned as brightly as the cigarettes that killed him.

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2020 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the best axe men in history, period. I loved Van Halen (the band) from their original stuff with Diamond Dave to their later stuff with the Red Rocker. Different sounds but still good. Van Halen as a band was over once they parted ways with Sammy Hagar, IMHO. Lost one hell of a rocker and guitarist. RIP, Eddie.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2020 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

One of the best axe men in history, period. I loved Van Halen (the band) from their original stuff with Diamond Dave to their later stuff with the Red Rocker. Different sounds but still good. Van Halen as a band was over once they parted ways with Sammy Hagar, IMHO. Lost one hell of a rocker and guitarist. RIP, Eddie.

All these bands were such a huge part of my life.
Hearing them always takes me traveling through time.
While other people seemed to "grow out of it", I never stopped listening to them all these years.

50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, & 90's Eargasms are my guilty pleasure.
And I think Eddie would love this conversation!

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2020 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

He believed his cancer came from holding the brass & copper guitar picks in his mouth and all the recording studios filled with electromagnetic energy.

It's amazing the form that denial can take.

I'm not a huge Van Halen fan, but when I think of Eddie's guitar licks, the first one that comes to mind is his 20 second solo in the middle of Beat It.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-06-2020).]

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2020 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Actually, it could be said that he basically killed himself.
Chain-smoked, got throat cancer, kept Chain-smoking, divorced because he wouldn't stop even then, had a third of his tongue removed, & finally switched to vaping in 2015.

He burned as brightly as the cigarettes that killed him.

Don't know much about him or really who this is/was but, he obviously had a warped sense of reality. Maybe now he's found some peace.

Rams
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2020 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
It's amazing the forms that denial can take.

I agree.
Mine is much more intricately woven!

Adult Language! Start at 0:47 & run to 1:14.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2020 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah... One of the most amazing, innovative, guitar players ever.
I was a fair weather fan. Liked "Van Hagar" much more than the original lineup.
And one of my guilty pleasures is Chickenfoot. Still sounds like Van Hagar. (I won't say too much about Satriani, since this is an "Eddie" thread. That is all.)
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2020 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Yeah... One of the most amazing, innovative, guitar players ever.
I was a fair weather fan. Liked "Van Hagar" much more than the original lineup.
And one of my guilty pleasures is Chickenfoot. Still sounds like Van Hagar. (I won't say too much about Satriani, since this is an "Eddie" thread. That is all.)

I'll have to agree. Some of their best music, most fun concerts, and just general life was pushed into the band when Sammy joined. When that stiff fossil Roth came back, I was hoping they would shitcan him and re-sign Hagar but now that will never happen.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2020 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He stretched and innovated the instrument itself with the "jape" he instituted and by driving the amps at high power saturation but lower volume and with the locking tremolo system he helped create. When VH hit I wasn't such a big fan because it was a guy playing every note he could jam in somewhere, IOWs not playing for the song. 'Too much unbridled energy' is what a manager told him, which was correct. It took a while but it final fully took with me. Atomic Punk played all the way through to the outro feedback is such a primal scream it's just lke a motorcycle at full acceleration pulling so hard that the rear wheel is barely holding on to the pavement beneath it, flirting with swapping ends as it does so and only luck is keeping you from a total wipe out.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2020 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

He stretched and innovated the instrument itself with the "jape" he instituted and by driving the amps at high power saturation but lower volume and with the locking tremolo system he helped create. When VH hit I wasn't such a big fan because it was a guy playing every note he could jam in somewhere, IOWs not playing for the song. 'Too much unbridled energy' is what a manager told him, which was correct. It took a while but it final fully took with me. Atomic Punk played all the way through to the outro feedback is such a primal scream it's just lke a motorcycle at full acceleration pulling so hard that the rear wheel is barely holding on to the pavement beneath it, flirting with swapping ends as it does so and only luck is keeping you from a total wipe out.

I think i'm in love!
Do it again, but.....slower.

P.S. I'm a word man.

sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2020 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm spent. lol
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2020 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm spent. lol

Me too!

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2020 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was lucky to see him in concert back in the day. Great show, great guitarist and he brought Peavey out in front from the low end dump stack of instruments and amps and made a name for them.

I have to like that. I had a Peavey Bass for a bit, and it wasn't a bad guitar.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2020 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Little known fact: the guy was Dutch.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2020 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

I always think anyone with "Van" in their name is probably Dutch.
PFF
System Bot
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2020 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Half.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2020 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Half.

Born in Amsterdam. 😊
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2020 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't move to the US til he was like 8 years old, I think.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2020 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2020 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah was really sad to hear we lost EVH.. Him and Randy Rhoads are the two people that inspired me to pickup a guitar when i was 9 years old and want to learn.. I was already a Ozzy fan, and loved listening to Randy play, but then my older brother took me into his room, and put his Diver Down record on, and i heard Cathedral for the first time, and just thought.. I wanna know how to do that!"...

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2020 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

It's true. I remember reading an interview that he did, talking about growing up in the States, and dealing with (of course) the discrimination because he was "the different kid".
There was also mention of it, since his passing. I forget what his middle name was, but quite obviously Dutch.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2020 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

He left quite an impression.

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2020 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I forget what his middle name was, but quite obviously Dutch.

Lodewijk. That's probably like "Larry" or something in Dutch.

sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-08-2020 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At least around here it was pretty well known where they came from and knew he was half Dutch, pretty much from the beginning of when they hit. When you learn that two members are named Van Halen you ask around where that name comes from and it wasn't difficult since he was all over the magazines of the time discussing his early life.

Something I noticed is how so many of the great guitarists are slightly built. Maybe they were starving and coked, but it seems they're still pretty thin when young.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2020 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

At least around here it was pretty well known where they came from and knew he was half Dutch, pretty much from the beginning of when they hit.

I think so too. Most people, well, anyone more than the most casual of fans, probably knows they're Dutch. Sort of like Lars Ulrich... Most people know he's from Denmark.

[B]Originally posted by sourmash:[/B}

Something I noticed is how so many of the great guitarists are slightly built. Maybe they were starving and coked, but it seems they're still pretty thin when young.

Maybe it helps to be skinny to make those chord shapes! The only thing I remember of the guitar is my fingers are MUCH too big to press only the exact strings I want. And my hands are normal sized.

[This message has been edited by css9450 (edited 10-08-2020).]

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Full interview of his background.
Genius in a few ways, and very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb26D8bBZB8

An innovative creative mind that will be missed.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-09-2020).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2020 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just remembered we lost Neil Peart this year too.
Man, who’s next?

Death Pool:
Ozzy?
Roger Waters?
Peter Frampton?
Mick Jagar?
Steven Tyler?
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2020 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ringo's 80 but probably good for a while longer.

Berry Gordy 90
Willie 87
Jerry Lee Lewis 85
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a comment on our society that this thread (of relative unimportance) gets a lot of hits, but items of lasting importance are relatively ignored.

If you can't figure this comment out, your priorities are out of sync with reality.

Pay attention to what's important....

🤨
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

It's a comment on our society that this thread (of relative unimportance) gets a lot of hits, but items of lasting importance are relatively ignored.

If you can't figure this comment out, your priorities are out of sync with reality.

Pay attention to what's important....

Okay, I'll bite... which of the current O/T threads according to you is of "lasting importance". I see perhaps... one.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Okay, I'll bite... which of the current O/T threads according to you is of "lasting importance". I see perhaps... one.

I tried to watch the Boom BX rollout, but got board with the video before it even said a word about the craft.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002

I just remembered we lost Neil Peart this year too.
Man, who’s next?

Death Pool:
Ozzy?
Roger Waters?
Peter Frampton?
Mick Jagar?
Steven Tyler?

All of the original Stones are alive and still a group. Of this list I would say Ozzy looks to be the obvious,......but I am some what of a fan, so I hope he stays with us a lot longer.
BTW, I don't wish death or harm to any of them.
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2020 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why would someone assume this obscure forum is where we display the focus of our life priorities? I just assumed everyone here has the NUKE GAY WHALES FOR JESUS bumper sticker.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2020 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

All of the original Stones are alive and still a group.

Three of the original group are no longer with the band and two of those have passed.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock