Started on: 10-02-2020 08:16 AM
Replies: 6 (157 views)
Last post by: theogre on 10-02-2020 03:56 PM
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2020 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MJ, my goofy brain tells me that you’ve repaired a bike or two in your day, and others here also have sone it as well...

How many times have you come across a bike with a stripped pedal? I know four people who bought a bike and the pedal came off within a few weeks of using the bike. Needed a new crank shaft doohickey.

I’ve built six or seven bikes when I was a kid, and my friends all had bikes growing up, and none of us had this happen-

I think on at least one of the bikes, the pedal didn’t really seem to fit the crank, and another, the metal on the crank felt really soft.

I’ve seen that people bore out the hole and rethread the crank,

Just wondering if you guys came across this at all.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2020 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen online reviews where people have reported they stripped the threads in the crank arm and thus the pedal came off. Probably won't happen on a high-end bike but on a $100 Walmart bike, I wouldn't be surprised.

Fortunately new crank arms are available in various lengths and left- or right-threaded (because the two sides are different) so they are easily replaced.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2020 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya gotta watch out for low quality crank shaft doohickies

Haven't ridden a bicycle in years and don't plan on doing it. If it ain't got 6 cylinders, I'm not getting on it.

But, here's a bump for your thread.

Rams
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2020 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Usually because the pedal wasn't tightened up good in the arm to begin with and the threads inside the arm got 'wallered out'. (that's a highly technical term only us real, shur 'nuff mechanics use) (I quit a girlfriend years ago for mostly the same reason)

Nowadays, probably because of cheap steel or crappy threads, or not using left handed (anti clockwise) threads on the left pedal like they used to.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2020 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its cheep steel. They are probably made from melted down Chevys from the 1970s.
Are these new bikes? You should look at a good used older bike. They have some miles on them and if taken care of will live way past any new Walmart bike.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2020 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Usually because the pedal wasn't tightened up good in the arm to begin with and the threads inside the arm got 'wallered out'. (that's a highly technical term only us real, shur 'nuff mechanics use) (I quit a girlfriend years ago for mostly the same reason)

Rams
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2020 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1 piece steel cranks doing this is for "cheap" metal, machining done wrong or both.
Cheap pedals won't help either.

Re-threading cranks often won't last long even if works very short term.
Most cranks don't have enough metal left to use a "helicoil" etc. so the crank hole can break w/o warning.

Cheap pedals can strip it's threads leaving crank hole full of crap... If this is your problem, Carefully Running a tap to clean the crank threads might work. Have to be very careful starting the tap or will ruin the crank.

If you have 3 part crank, can have similar problems.
Plus alloy parts can strip threads easier for cross threading, over torquing the pedals or using cheap pedals w/ crap thread.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock